30 275 Death's Judgement - Opening shot, no marker stack

Cerby.1069

I'm a warrior, I use heavy armour.

The highest I got hit for before was just under 21k which was a 1 shot, same as this. Colour me surprised when suddenly out of the blue I get a deadeye tingle sound and a marker on me then 0.5seconds later I'm dead. And this is my combat log. There was no visible stacking of malice or whatever its called.....it was 0.5seconds I had to react to something I didn't know was there cause it was stealthed..... or I'm dead in 1 shot.

dddd

https://imgur.com/a/YZbk5the third picture should be teh first one. ALl 3 show the combat log for incoming damage leading up to the hit.

As you can see from my wonderful pictures here. I was helping take swc on home bl. There was noone in sight...I always look around me constantly. We were just picking off the gaurds since the lord had ri. There was no marker on me....so no deadeye was visibly stacking on me. Then I ran up the hill towards the sentry and out of the blue I hear the deadeye sound and literally 0.5 seconds later (I'm not embelishing here...it was practically I hear the sound while I see my character falling into downed) I get 1 shotted. SO that's a thing apparently..

Obvious I was wrong about this ability being balanced and something is up here.

It was a solo deadeye, wasn't any group buffing that I could visibly see going on. I stuck around and only saw the deadeye around me.

I'm expecting nerfs. This is no different than gunflame warrior at start of hot......except gunflames couldn't appear and reappear out of the blue and run around the map like its nothing.

BROKEN! Suggest there be a way to turn up the volume on the deadeye sound effect, if its sUPPPER LOUD it can be possible to train people to respond within that 0.5 second interval with a dodge. Otherwise......the visual marker isn't visual enough to respond that fast to it.I don't care if you say he has to sit there stacking malice or whatever for a good 10 seconds. I can't seee him! There was no indication he was ever there those 10 seconds. I had no marker on me those 10 seconds to tell me he was lurking either. That is broken as is! Something is seriously wrong here.

Whenever a deadeye normally comes at me I just look for the marker.....and when it comes and he stealthes I start watching my minimap. Cause he'll use death's judgement and it will reveal him. Then I"ll simply dodge as soon as I see the orange dot on my map. And that works! That's how it should work!! If he can 1 shot me that way....I wouldn't be here complaining ...cause I had a way to counter.

Instead I get this deadeye who appears out of thin air and gives me 0.5 seconds to respond to his 30k+ damage death's judgement....

I have no way to convince you that I had no marker on me prior to that 0.5 seconds. But this has happened twice now...ok? The same thing...twice. And I know how deadeye should work and I fight them regularly. This is some kind of glitch or exploit here not showing me the markerproperly. Either that or he really isn't stacking malice on me at all....he's jst buffing himself while stealthed and then opening with death's judgement and the marker in a way where its only 0.5 s of response time.

The only other answer I can think of is there was some other stealthed thing buffing him....but that's broken as well if someone can do that and hit for 31k and for me to not see them at alll after I'm dead lying there loooking for answers. SO I highly doubt that was the case unless the buffer waypointed or something while stealthed. That's another thing, lets not let people waypoint while stealthed....that's also stupid. Stealth is stupidly op by nature in this game.

Broken Broken Broken

It's possible he was using that exploit involving marking a critter/another target, remaining in stealth, then once he achieved full malice, switching to you + quickness and DJ. That would definitely come out faster than you could react to and can easily hit 18k+ on players with 3200 armor.

Either way, I think if they fix that exploit, we won't be seeing those ridiculous numbers. The highest i've been hit by DJ without being marked is 8-9k and this was from a full ascended geared roamer.

WvW isn't pve, it's actually the closest to open world pvp you have in gw2, so if you complain about being ganked and "not expecting it" then the only one to blame here is yourself. Maybe WvW just isn't for you.
Also it's not 0.5 second aaaand if you have problems dodging something that literally gives you a lazer pointer at your character, then -again- the problem is with you, not with the skill.

I have been exclusively playing my thief the last week just to try and improve my gameplay. I'm in exotic armor (pack runes), asc zerk rifle and all asc zerk accessories.I can easily hit players without marking anyone for 10k with death's judgement. That is with just my gear and 25 stacks of bloodlust (which takes about a minute to get). I can hit considerably harder by activating assassins signet, food/util buffs, and, of course, malice.

They need to fix/remove the bonus damage against non-marked targets.They need to tone down the damage on death's judgement. (yes, I'm aware lots of other classes have skills out of line like CoR, they too need adjustment)

@Sobx.1758 said:WvW isn't pve, it's actually the closest to open world pvp you have in gw2, so if you complain about being ganked and "not expecting it" then the only one to blame here is yourself. Maybe WvW just isn't for you.

Also it's not 0.5 second aaaand if you have problems dodging something that literally gives you a lazer pointer at your character, then -again- the problem is with you, not with the skill.

I would love for you to be right. In the meantime I suggest you start rereading my OP. Mbe look at the pretty pictures too. Some pretty numbers there.

I have no way to counter these 2 experiences so far. Going tankier isn't viable when ur dealing with a 31k shot. So once anet gives me my counters I will be happy :)

I believe in counter-play rather than 'trashtalkplay' or whatever you want to coin your posting as. Even if we all end up hitting eachother for 40k, I'm fine with that so long as there is counterplay.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:It's possible he was using that exploit involving marking a critter/another target, remaining in stealth, then once he achieved full malice, switching to you + quickness and DJ. That would definitely come out faster than you could react to and can easily hit 18k+ on players with 3200 armor.

Either way, I think if they fix that exploit, we won't be seeing those ridiculous numbers. The highest i've been hit by DJ without being marked is 8-9k and this was from a full ascended geared roamer.

That would make the most sense. There's lots of wildlife around the camp there. If he was hiding behind the building and stealth spamming while stacking on the rabbit....and i walked by his los I could see that being an explanation. It would explain the other time it happened as well since there was wildlife around as well. The idea of me walking into his killzone rather than him roaming around and being able to pulll all this off is more believable.

It's a .75 sec cast with a telegraph. The telegraph does NOT show up at all in large battles if the thief is within 600 of the target. I see people dodge regularly, but no one dodges when there is no telegraph. So, you mark a target, buy time to gain stacks, and hit ANYTHING with the bonus when your stacks are maxed (or if you know that less will down them). I rarely use death's judgement anymore, but if I see an annoying target, I will stack the bonus and hit them with it from melee range. They may see a player appear near them, but they are downed before they can even dodge.

@Ubi.4136 said:It's a .75 sec cast with a telegraph. The telegraph does NOT show up at all in large battles if the thief is within 600 of the target. I see people dodge regularly, but no one dodges when there is no telegraph. So, you mark a target, buy time to gain stacks, and hit ANYTHING with the bonus when your stacks are maxed (or if you know that less will down them). I rarely use death's judgement anymore, but if I see an annoying target, I will stack the bonus and hit them with it from melee range. They may see a player appear near them, but they are downed before they can even dodge.

Ahh 0.75s, I'm sure ur right I didn't look it up to confirm before posting.I'm pretty cloooose though based on judging and reflecting on my "ingame experience".

Maybe people will think my experience apt if I can come up with information that close from a singular experiences....?

Or maybe that 0.25s difference should give some people who hate my posting and guts recourse to dismiss my entire argument :)

Who knows....I'll just stand behind that 31k number for now then.

Ohhh! you got me again! its 30.275k.....dang I'm such a liar today.Hopefully we can agree that a bit of rounding doesn't change the validity of my argument......I'm hoping for too much clearly haha.

Thanks for clearing that up the real number though. Should be useful.

So in a vacuum situation of if you are running 2215 armor.

1265 (5 stack DJ -> 2.4) 4800/2215 = 6624 -> 6624 2.80 = 18547 -> (1.15 malice buff) (1.25 for scholar, night, force) * (1.1 from just condi 10% mod since the others were crit damage flat buffs) = 1.6 -> 29675.2 and with 100 power from camp capture 30k is possible but not really probable so you just got REALLY unlucky if the rifle rolled top damage of 1265.

EDIT: Long story short the thief had a once in a lifetime dream setup of hitting that 30k.

@Vermillion.4061 said:So in a vacuum situation of if you are running 2215 armor.

1265 (5 stack DJ -> 2.4) 4800/2215 = 6624 -> 6624 2.80 = 18547 -> (1.15 malice buff) (1.25 for scholar, night, force) * (1.1 from just condi 10% mod since the others were crit damage flat buffs) = 1.6 -> 29675.2 and with 100 power from camp capture 30k is possible but not really probable so you just got REALLY unlucky if the rifle rolled top damage of 1265.

EDIT: Long story short the thief had a once in a lifetime dream setup of hitting that 30k.

Nice math on the power equation! As someone that plays deadeye myself, I'd say the same. Getting DJ up to even 15k is hard enough, and I'd love to see a 30k occasionally even if its at the end of a 15 minute long fight.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:It's possible he was using that exploit involving marking a critter/another target, remaining in stealth, then once he achieved full malice, switching to you + quickness and DJ. That would definitely come out faster than you could react to and can easily hit 18k+ on players with 3200 armor.

marking a target be it an ambient creature or player, is not an exploit.An exploit would be marking walls and doors. (I am about 30% sure most skills in the game don't register a wall or door as an actual target for skills, but I could be wrong)

To achieve that damage you have to be full glass full malice, pop assassin signet, and get about 15stacks of might and 25stacks of bloodlust, having quickness would mean sacrificing another utility slot or trait slot which I dont think a lot of them do, and if we assume that the thief had the steal ability to grant extra might then quickness was probably not in the equation at all, just damage modifiers on top of modifiers and a really high roll on crit.

and before people say you don't hit for that ( or cant )https://i.imgur.com/vTDJVV2.jpg

Now the damage is avoidable through dodges, invuln, reflects, evade effects, and so on. So their is counterplay. A lot of counterplay.

in small group settings where you actually notice it going on.

@Cerby.1069 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:WvW isn't pve, it's actually the closest to open world pvp you have in gw2, so if you complain about being ganked and "not expecting it" then the only one to blame here is yourself. Maybe WvW just isn't for you.

I would love for you to be right. In the meantime I suggest you start rereading my OP. Mbe look at the pretty pictures too. Some pretty numbers there.

I have no way to counter these 2 experiences so far. Going tankier isn't viable when ur dealing with a 31k shot. So once anet gives me my counters I will be happy :)

I believe in counter-play rather than 'trashtalkplay' or whatever you want to coin your posting as. Even if we all end up hitting eachother for 40k, I'm fine with that so long as there is counterplay.

I saw the OP ss and it doesn't contain anything that would invalidate what I wrote in previous post.

wow so you're playing a class that has no dodges? Nice, must be some kind of hardcore spec.Seriously, that's a basic move in this game, if you don't even think about it, then why are you even here trying to give your ""valid"" opinion on anything in wvw?

Nice try suggesting my post is somehow "trashtalkplay", but you failed. Over and over again.

@Inoki.6048 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@Arcaedus.7290 said:Now the damage is avoidable through dodges, invuln, reflects, evade effects, and so on.

I still don't understand why are they given a chance to dodge bullets. What is this, Matrix?

Same reason we are given the chance to avoid any ranged burst, people dont like to be oneshot from range, and for #Balance.also, we are magic, their is literally a fallen god in this game kitten stuff up, I think matrix is a little light for the crap we do in this universe.

@Vermillion.4061 said:So in a vacuum situation of if you are running 2215 armor.

Did you add bloodlust to that?

@Solori.6025 said:

@Inoki.6048 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@Arcaedus.7290 said:Same reason we are given the chance to avoid any ranged burst, people dont like to be oneshot from range, and for #Balance.

people don't like......... I don't like when someone lands nearly 25 stacks of everything on me in 1 - 2 hits....... :)

but for some reason that is more accepted while the effect remains the same = insta-kill.

Plz give me that lazerkittenbeam onehitting people .. want to tell people this l2p bs too.. man u just have to dodge .. not even ballista or cannon hitting that hard right ?And i guess none of the people complaining is talking about a clear 1on1 situation .. then maybe the argument counts that they just should dodge it .. but .. no not even then .. kkthxbb

@primatos.5413 said:Plz give me that lazerkittenbeam onehitting people .. want to tell people this l2p bs too.. man u just have to dodge .. not even ballista or cannon hitting that hard right ?And i guess none of the people complaining is talking about a clear 1on1 situation .. then maybe the argument counts that they just should dodge it .. but .. no not even then .. kkthxbb

It's simple, go make a new character....or l2p. For real. If you have a problem with dodging THAT, it's not a game for you. If you keep complaining about being jumped, then don't play WvW.

@Solori.6025 said:

(5 stack DJ -> 2.4)
4800/2215 = 6624 -> 6624
2.80 = 18547 -> (1.15 malice buff)
(1.25 for scholar, night, force) * (1.1 from just condi 10% mod since the others were crit damage flat buffs) = 1.6 -> 29675.2 and with 100 power from camp capture 30k is possible but not really probable so you just got REALLY unlucky if the rifle rolled top damage of 1265.

Did you add bloodlust to that?

Bloodlust already added to that.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:My thought is if I can't Rally off of it, it should not be usable as a mark, either.

you cant rally from the ascalonian ghost for instance on ebg near blue keep, so you dont want me to mark them when fighting them ?

i dont think marking white mobs or doors or walls is an issue, as you mostly encounter more than 1 opponent so you can just mark one of them and shoot at either one and even swap target shortly before laser animation ends. so disableing the ability to mark white mobs wont fix the problem you seem to have with the skill.

also if you kill all white mobs in sight and hit the one with the mark on, malice drops to 0 = you win. and if your nekro you even gain LF. so there is more counterplay to that than if i mark the dude next to you that wont tell you about it.

I'm in agreement with Arcaedus.7290 on the possibility the thief could've utilized the mark on an ambient and just waited for the perfect opportunity to strike someone down. While I personally haven't tried it - the likelihood is strong akin to gates/walls and other objects you may interact/puts you into combat.

The highest I ever got hit with was during beta @ ~24.7k right off the bat, open field.

Archived