Inventory Buttons - [Merged] - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Inventory Buttons - [Merged]

Comments

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say "Thank YOU" to ArenaNet for this change. As soon as I break my muscle memory and stop hiding rarity all the time, I'm going to really enjoy having the deposit and compact buttons easily available.

The only way this could be improved was if you let me have a Deposit + Compact button.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

who the heck from Anet thought this changed was a good idea?!

Deposit All
    it's a freaken pain, keep on clicking on 'Hide Rarity' instead from muscle memory
    If you are gonna move it out, move it to this position

Compact
    Put it back in the gear wheel, players have different way of organise their own inventory
    In my 17 years of playing MMOs, my own method of organise inventory has always been

• at the very top of the bag are my consumables and frequent access items
    • followed by less frequent accessed items
    • trophy items that i dont bother to touch most of the time
    • then empty bag space where looted items
    • crafting material at the very bottom of the bag slots

I have to spent minutes reorganise my inventory from accidentally clicking on it

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020

As Randulf suggested in this thread, just let us customize the buttons' order so that everyone can have it the way they prefer.

I, for one, want it like this:

1. Compact (left)
    2. Settings (center)
    3. Deposit All Materials (right)
  • those buttons are a good change. them being next to each other is a bad change and makes the good parts useless.

i read here from several people that they use the compact button a lot but they never said for what purpose, can someone explain? i have no idea what positive effect is done by clicking "compact" in the inventory - neither vendors nor the trading post care about empty space between items.

however there is a good reason to never use that button (aside custom order) and that is preserved space for random drops:
    everything new in the inventory lands at the topmost spot unless it's already present and anything consumed is consumed in the topmost spot. those two together mean that it is beneficial to have all items that are regularly looted and consumed in the bottom spots of your inventory: you'll never empty the reserved spot this way.

special bags never showed any benefit for me, invisible bags far too often lose some item, then get filled with a random green piece of equipment that is then never salvaged, never shown at vendors or the TP and easily is missed by me, consuming a valuable inventory spot for months. any kind of magnetic bags are even worse for me.

• Fallesafe.5932Fallesafe.5932 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020

@Gryphon.2875 said:
    Who even uses the compact function?

Every day.

Edit: just to explain... I keep all the things I continually use in a maxed out bank of shared inventory slots. The next bag down is an invisible bag for things I want to keep handy, but use less often. And every other bag is a reservoir for all the trash this game showers you with. If anything is even in those bags, its an annoyance to me. They usually begin filling up with all the junk I either can't sell, can't deposit, or can't destroy without typing names.

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

@WorldofBay.8160 said:
    those buttons are a good change. them being next to each other is a bad change and makes the good parts useless.

i read here from several people that they use the compact button a lot but they never said for what purpose, can someone explain? i have no idea what positive effect is done by clicking "compact" in the inventory - neither vendors nor the trading post care about empty space between items.

however there is a good reason to never use that button (aside custom order) and that is preserved space for random drops:
    everything new in the inventory lands at the topmost spot unless it's already present and anything consumed is consumed in the topmost spot. those two together mean that it is beneficial to have all items that are regularly looted and consumed in the bottom spots of your inventory: you'll never empty the reserved spot this way.

special bags never showed any benefit for me, invisible bags far too often lose some item, then get filled with a random green piece of equipment that is then never salvaged, never shown at vendors or the TP and easily is missed by me, consuming a valuable inventory spot for months. any kind of magnetic bags are even worse for me.

My inventory management:
    Since new items always go to the first open slot, the top 3 bags for me (default bag plus 2 general bags) are always empty to accommodate the incoming new loot.

The next bags after those top 3 are always invisible bags designed to hold items I don't want moving around, which are far enough down that new loot should never hit them (assuming I even have any open slots in them).

This means that if I deposit/salvage gear while out in the wild, there will be gaps in the first 3 bags which will make locating any new things I find (event or quest items that need to be clicked on, or cool new loot that deserves a look).

Ergo, the process I always use whenever I get a break in the action is:
    1. Salvage All (if I'm collecting Unidentified Gear that I want to open first, I move those to an invisible slot so they don't get salvaged in the wild).
    2. Deposit Materials
    3. Compact

This gives me a nice clean inventory ready to receive more stuff as soon as I jump back into the action.

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

One change I would really applaud would be the ability to bind a key to the deposit and compact buttons. I generally prefer to use the keyboard over the mouse and in this specific case it would prevent inventory ruining misclicks.

• Does anyone actually use the 'compact' feature so often that they want quick access to it? Maybe that could go back in the pulldown menu. (But not at the top, please, I already keep hiding my rarities by accident when I mean to deposit because I'm used to it being there.)

It's good that the Deposit button is more visible so that newbies don't need to be told about the 'secret feature' as much, but that compact button is a mess waiting to happen.

• Here's another suggestion: If they leave the compact button where it is, let it open a dialog box with options: compact to bottom, compact to top, or Cancel. An annoyance if you hit it by mistake but not a disaster.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think that the intention was to make these options a one-click type of thing. Opening a dialogue box or menu would defeat that purpose, no?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Apparently a few users who have posted here do use the Compact button and are quite happy with the change. It would be easier to see that if everyone had put their comments in one thread rather than spreading them out over several.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    I already keep hiding my rarities by accident when I mean to deposit.

Last night one time I turned off and on my rarities 4 or more times in a row before I realized what I was doing... So much fail.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Saniyah.1984Saniyah.1984 Member ✭✭✭

Why cant they add Hide Compact button in settings? It used to have an option to move it to the bottom of the menu?

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

Here's another suggestion: If they leave the compact button where it is, let it open a dialog box with options: compact to bottom, compact to top, or Cancel. An annoyance if you hit it by mistake but not a disaster.

I am usually hitting this option while already in the middle of a WvW fight. More dialog boxes are not a good thing that impact game play. I don't understand how compact is impacting people but can accept it is. Not sure how people were dealing with a bunch of random holes in their inventory and not knowing where new stuff landed, but everyone is different. Players should have options so it doesn't impact their play, but don't impact others in the same fashion. So options to move are good, options to toggle settings are good, removing or forcing hide are impacting others. This change did speed up gameplay, even if not requested, or not that I saw on forums.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/Civ6/CU/AoC/NW

• Pressing "deposit all materials" before pressing "compact" makes sense. Cleaning your bags is now a matter of clicking twice from left to right, it feels very intuitive to me.

• Haishao.6851Haishao.6851 Member ✭✭✭

I think the show/hide bags toggle would make more sense to have as a button than compact.
    What they could do if they insist on keeping compact button in the way of deposit like this, is put back deposit option into the menu as well. So there's the button and the menu option. I've been using it in the menu since forever, I don't care to continue doing so.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just restore the "move Compact option" checkbox for those who never use compact.

• Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Excursion.9752 said:

I already keep hiding my rarities by accident when I mean to deposit.

Last night one time I turned off and on my rarities 4 or more times in a row before I realized what I was doing... So much fail.

Yup 50 times now. I'm slowly adjusting but do players actually use those show rarity options. I never could think of any reason I wouldn't want to show rarity

WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

• Getting rid of that compact button sounds awesome, already getting annoyed having to sort my bags AGAIN after pressing it

• Delita Silverburg.8632Delita Silverburg.8632 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020

The new inventory buttons are an unwelcome change and I'd like the ability to go back to the way it was. Once again it's easy to accidentally click the "compact" button that is right next the the "deposit all mats" button. You gave us the option of putting the compact button far away from the deposit button for a good reason and I've already hit the compact button twice in it's new location since yesterday. Honestly, who asked for this? You remember when you told us you were going to talk to us before making changes that could potentially irritate your consumers? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• Sir Alric.5078Sir Alric.5078 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    This is the button that's used the most, so having it left-sided feels extremely inconvenient.

It should be moved to the far right so that the order becomes:

1. Compact
    2. Settings
    3. Deposit All Materials

Moving your mouse pointer a few pixels to the left is so inconvenient that you felt the need to open a thread and demand a change? Seriously? O_O

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    This is the button that's used the most, so having it left-sided feels extremely inconvenient.

It should be moved to the far right so that the order becomes:

1. Compact
    2. Settings
    3. Deposit All Materials

Great compromise, Settings is a safe zone to separate the 2. I'd like to see a bit more spacing also.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

@Zappix.7928 said:

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:
    I got problem with deposit it was better before

I agree it was better before but we all have to just accept this now lol.

We might be FORCED to accept it.

4 years ago Anet helped us by adding an option move compact to the bottom of the list. The memory seems to have been lost.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

GUI Design 101 - "NEVER adjust GUI without PRIOR user approval"

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can't find any options to change this back to the old way but I am so accustomed to how it used to work that this change is messing with me.

Basically now when I want to deposit or compact my inventory.. I keep turning my item rarity and highlights off instead >.<

I know this was done for convenience but i've played this game for a very long time and if anything it's quite the opposite of convenient for me.
    If others are having the same habitual issue as me do feel free to leave a comment below so I can not feel so dumb because I keep doing this XD

So can we at least have an option or something so we can choose to use the buttons or the old drop down menu?
    Or if there is one can someone let me know where because I can't find it >.<

edited October 28, 2020

@DeanBB.4268 said:
    This is a welcome addition, but I'm certainly not opposed to making it an option.

If the settings button and or more separation were between the compact and deposit, sure.
    The MAIN point was that it was already an option.

@DeanBB.4268 said:
    You guys don't use invisible bags for the stuff you want to manage? Why?

Because not all managed things are stacked horizontally, sometimes vertical is VERY useful.

@DeanBB.4268 said:
    [edit] And shouldn't you then use invisible bags for everything?

Because you CAN'T sell from invisible bag

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

Will happily exchange views, since I am also not understanding how people don't use it. So typical session in WvW, fight collect loot, fight, collect loot. Than either hit a quiet point and have to expand all the bags and internal bags till left with full bags. Sell yellows unidentified, decide on green and then break everything down depending on space. Deposit all and then that leaves a lot of stuff staggered everywhere with a ton of holes between where the deposited items vanished. Do a compact to line everything back up and either address the remain or go back. Anything at the bottom will be the new items to have to review for action status (use/sell/break/store). Scenario 2, in the middle of a fight and get the bags full message, do a quick pop up inventory hit deposit all and compact to see how much space there is an if that loot needs to be lost or what not depending how the fight is going. Sometimes when the otherside drops you it's a good time to quickly deal with bag space while you are dead.

So do you just let new loot get mixed into the items you already addressed or are you manually moving items around in inventory as holes are opened up? For reference I use shared inventory for all the items I want in fixed positions and after that its a mixed bags per toon. Run with maxed bags on most toons with some outliers. I also run into capped storage at times and that means I might have toons sitting on items until I can clear storage so toons will develop sudden holes when next trying to mass deposit.

I can understand the options toggles and think it would work out for people, but, I can't see how people aren't using compact in some form.

So what do you do when not using compact?

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/Civ6/CU/AoC/NW

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Love this addition, one click deposit and compact is wonderful.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Does anyone actually use the 'compact' feature so often that they want quick access to it? Maybe that could go back in the pulldown menu. (But not at the top, please, I already keep hiding my rarities by accident when I mean to deposit because I'm used to it being there.)

It's good that the Deposit button is more visible so that newbies don't need to be told about the 'secret feature' as much, but that compact button is a mess waiting to happen.

I use compact immediately every single time after I hit deposit, this change is a god send

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

Here's another suggestion: If they leave the compact button where it is, let it open a dialog box with options: compact to bottom, compact to top, or Cancel. An annoyance if you hit it by mistake but not a disaster.

I am usually hitting this option while already in the middle of a WvW fight. More dialog boxes are not a good thing that impact game play. I don't understand how compact is impacting people but can accept it is. Not sure how people were dealing with a bunch of random holes in their inventory and not knowing where new stuff landed, but everyone is different. Players should have options so it doesn't impact their play, but don't impact others in the same fashion. So options to move are good, options to toggle settings are good, removing or forcing hide are impacting others. This change did speed up gameplay, even if not requested, or not that I saw on forums.

I agree that extra boxes in your way would be bad, so the solution should be an option to disable Compact for those who never want to use it.

As to how I do it, I don't have random holes. I have permanently kept items in bags at the bottom, arranged in a layout that makes intuitive sense to me though it might look like a garbled mess to others. I manually sift things down to fill in holes if I need to, but I also keep as much clear space in the top bags as I can so new items are always visible without any scrolling. As long as I periodically take a few seconds to process new items via salvage/deposit/move to the bag area where I know to look for things I want to put in the bank, I almost never have something new get lost until I happen to notice it some time later, and that's usually a random yellow or orange item that wasn't time sensitive to deal with. I might have a number of empty spaces down a few bags, but since I know "this bag holds consumables" if I see something that doesn't match, I can quickly check if it needs processing or moving.

A guild mate had this to say in Discord after accidentally hitting Compact: "I have dozens of bags with a very specific organization. anet did the equivalent of tossing everything in one bag, shaking it, then throwing it all back at me like 'here you go! much better now :)'" This is very much how it feels to me when my neatly organized things, each on their own dedicated shelf, get jumbled up in one big bin.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like the change as well. It is easier to access than the old menu.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't like those two new buttons either.
    I still click on the cog when I want to deposit all materials, forgetting that Arenanet removed that function from the list.

• @aswedEMD.3597 said:
    While I agree it would be nice to have a toggle, I would hardly say that no one wants it. I personally know quite a few people who have been playing the game for a long time and didn't even know those options were a thing so the new visibility helps a lot. Plus, it is now a lot faster for me to quickly clear a lot of inventory space while in the heat of battle if I notice my inventory is full.

Just because some people don't like a change doesn't mean everyone hates it. I, for one, am happy about it.

Your rhetoric is putting a lot of words in my mouth that I never said like "No one", "Everyone" and "Hate". I simply stated that they messed with an already good thing for no logical reason and that I personally am against this change because it undoes the option to move the compact button away from the deposit button. Additionally, the argument that a button that is right next to the button that has been there for years somehow adds transparency to the button's existence makes no sense to me either. If people aren't going to click on the cog wheel button, they aren't going to click on the other two buttons either unless they are specifically told about it by someone.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020

I just want the option to get rid of these two buttons.
    It was significantly better before.

• I think it's nice to have the 'Deposit All Materials' button outside the drop-down menu.
    Perhaps, moving the 'Compact' button to the other side of the 'cog' would suffice?

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

We'll get used to it.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

There is no choice at this time.

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

We will get used to it, or to however Anet changes it. Personally, I like it, even though I keep toggling my rarity... :angry:

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• can i somehow get rid of the compact button?

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Crusartas.9502 said:
    can i somehow get rid of the compact button?

Sadly not

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Yep, I think I hit the button correctly twice last night. Out of 50 times I tried to do it...

@TheGrimm.5624 said:
    So what do you do when not using compact?

Whenever I clean out my inventory, I do it completely. I never have anything to compact. Salvage, deposit and bank, sell, destroy.

I've toggled rarity more often over the last two days than the entire 8 years.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I think it's nice to have the 'Deposit All Materials' button outside the drop-down menu.
    Perhaps, moving the 'Compact' button to the other side of the 'cog' would suffice?

Yes but ideal for me would be able to remove it back to bottom of cog again.

• Why spend the resources on something nobody asked for.
    Developer resources are so short at Anet to begin with, why waste them on something like this?
    Please give us the option to have it like it use to be.
    Listen to your customer base for a change.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am so glad it's not just me XD

• My bottom three bags are filled with stuff I use occasionally or rarely: gizmos, bounty contracts, ascended foods, bits of quests I'm working on sporadically, bank/tp access, repair canisters, teleport-to-friends, etc. I know where everything is placed. My top bag is filled with stuff I want quick access to, mostly consumables and items for whatever I am working on now. The big empty gap in the middle is where my new drops land. Donari's guild mate had a good comparison: here's mine. My inventory is like a mobile home with lights and things hanging from the ceiling, furniture on the floor, abnd odds and ends lying on tables and shelves. For me, hitting the Compact button is like turning that whole mobile home upside down so everything is 'efficiently' piled on the ceiling. Takes a very long time to put all that stuff back where I want it. If they're going to insist in having the compact button right next to the deposit button, I want an Undo button as well.