Can we talk about the story? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

Can we talk about the story?

So I'm half way through completing this and I'm just utterly lost. I don't really understand what the characters want, what they are doing or why it matters. Anyone care to explain the story, and then perhaps give your input as to what the story does well so far and what flaws it has?

Comments

  • Fleabite.7528Fleabite.7528 Member ✭✭✭

    Which story are you half way through? The personal? One of the Living Seasons? Or the Icebrood Saga?

  • @Fleabite.7528 said:
    Which story are you half way through? The personal? One of the Living Seasons? Or the Icebrood Saga?

    Im in the Saga.

    So far what i understand is that Bangar wants to control an Elder Dragon...after that i don't really know why they are having a civil war, or how that's even relevant to any of the events going on in the story.

    Also character wise, it feels like jormag is no different than any other dragon we've faced so far. She's twirling her mustache in a creepy way, and does evil stuff for the sake of being evil.

    Idk i feel just very lost in who the characters are, what they want, what they are doing and where they are going and why....feels like none of what i'm doing makes any sense or matters at all. Great cinematic cutscenes though. Like that they changed it up from what it once was from core Tyria cutscenes.

  • @JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

    @Fleabite.7528 said:
    Which story are you half way through? The personal? One of the Living Seasons? Or the Icebrood Saga?

    Im in the Saga.

    So far what i understand is that Bangar wants to control an Elder Dragon...after that i don't really know why they are having a civil war, or how that's even relevant to any of the events going on in the story.

    Also character wise, it feels like jormag is no different than any other dragon we've faced so far. She's twirling her mustache in a creepy way, and does evil stuff for the sake of being evil.

    Idk i feel just very lost in who the characters are, what they want, what they are doing and where they are going and why....feels like none of what i'm doing makes any sense or matters at all. Great cinematic cutscenes though. Like that they changed it up from what it once was from core Tyria cutscenes.

    Need to ask have you played the rest of the LW? Or the expacs?

    Spoilers for LWS4

    At the end of travels through Elona the guild Dragons Watch along with there Sunspear allies, the Olmakan Char, the Corsairs, the Ghostly Mist wardens, and the new Order of the Crystal Bloom we have defeated the elder dragon Kralkatorik. Aurene glints scion has now absorbed her grandfather's power and accended to become an elder dragon herself.

    The Imperator Bangar has called an all rally of the char a massive party to celebrate the death of the dragon. The Commander and the rest of his guild Dragons Watch are invited.

    Here we meet a faction of the Flame Legion, the remaining imparoriters and Rtylocks former flame. Thru the story we also meet the decendant of a gw1 hero Joe's, her great granddaughter Jhavi a ranking member of the Vigil.

    Also we meet Ryland Rtylocks son.

    These are the main players.

    The civil war begins end of the prologue. Banger want to control Jormag to lead the the Char as the next Khan-Ur, and to invade all of Tyria. He wants Jormag as a shield and weapon against the Commander and Aurene. He has been backing and funding the Separatists and Rebel Char we face in Ascalon. He is against the treaty signed with the humans and wants all out war to take over from in his words the Shiverpeaks to Cantha. The Commander is once again thrust into a situation where he/she is between a rock and a hard place.

    Hopefully this clears up some questions.

  • JusticeRetroHunter.7684JusticeRetroHunter.7684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020

    @Jack Swiftclaw.9076 said:
    The civil war begins end of the prologue. Banger want to control Jormag to lead the the Char as the next Khan-Ur, and to invade all of Tyria. He wants Jormag as a shield and weapon against the Commander and Aurene. He has been backing and funding the Separatists and Rebel Char we face in Ascalon. He is against the treaty signed with the humans and wants all out war to take over from in his words the Shiverpeaks to Cantha. The Commander is once again thrust into a situation where he/she is between a rock and a hard place.

    Hopefully this clears up some questions.

    Thank you for the explanation. I guess the confusion was in why that was considered a civil war rather than just a regular ol' war, but it makes sense since when we are talking about the treaty charr vs non-treaty charr.

    Aside from the overall plot there, what about the sub plots going on for these characters? I think someone got cappo'd in Steel&Fire but i don't know how she was important since i don't really remember who her character was... Wasn't that Rytlocks wifey and Ryland is his son asked to cappo his own mother? Or am i getting that relationship confused with someone else? If that is the case why did it not feel like i was cappoing my own mother and just some stranger?

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

    @Jack Swiftclaw.9076 said:
    The civil war begins end of the prologue. Banger want to control Jormag to lead the the Char as the next Khan-Ur, and to invade all of Tyria. He wants Jormag as a shield and weapon against the Commander and Aurene. He has been backing and funding the Separatists and Rebel Char we face in Ascalon. He is against the treaty signed with the humans and wants all out war to take over from in his words the Shiverpeaks to Cantha. The Commander is once again thrust into a situation where he/she is between a rock and a hard place.

    Hopefully this clears up some questions.

    Thank you for the explanation. I guess the confusion was in why that was considered a civil war rather than just a regular ol' war, but it makes sense since when we are talking about the treaty charr vs non-treaty charr.

    Aside from the overall plot there, what about the sub plots going on for these characters? I think someone got cappo'd in Steel&Fire but i don't know how she was important since i don't really remember who her character was... Wasn't that Rytlocks wifey and Ryland is his son asked to cappo his own mother? Or am i getting that relationship confused with someone else? If that is the case why did it not feel like i was cappoing my own mother and just some stranger?

    No it was the founder f one of the 3 orders the vigil.

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/General_Almorra_Soulkeeper