The average height for each race?

AegisRunestone.8672

I can't find anything on the wiki about height for the races, save the asura (which originally said 4 feet tall, now it's "two feet ten inches and three feet eleven inches tall" in a recent edit), charr, and norn.The wiki says charr "stand on their hind legs and are taller than a human by half of an average human's height, but do not have the massive bulk of the norn." But the human page doesn't talk about height or how tall they are.And Norn " are a 9-foot tall race."

Nothing for humans or slyvari.

It's an odd thing to be curious about, but I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of all the races' average height. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Edit: Found here (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/44575-full-size-comparisons-of-races-and-genders/) two comparison charts. One of which contained the actual height numbers for shortest and tallest for each race:

! ODhgy.jpgThat chart seems accurate, but contradicts the original wiki entry and someone in that thread points out the official website here says the asura average at 4 feet tall... so... which is right?

Regrettably, there are no 'right' answers. The only figure that ANet's ever given, as you mentioned, is that norn are nine feet tall.

Every chart out there is based off of player deduction. My understanding is that they start at one of two points- either that the average norn is nine feet tall, like the devs say, or that the average Tyrian human is the same size as the average Earthling human, which seems to be what that chart above is working off of.

Problem is, the devs shrunk the norn models for GW2 to make them more playable, so the two approaches provide different numbers. If humans are the same height as in the real world, norn are only about eight feet tall; if norn are nine feet tall, then the Tyrian human is also taller, with the average being more than six and a half feet.

The third option is to say that what we see in-game isn't representative, and that humans (and usually sylvari) are really human-sized and norn are really nine feet. If that's the case, though, and we can't trust what we see in-game to be accurate, then we have nothing to base charr and asura heights off of.

So, short version; there is no official height for asura, which means you're free to pick whichever set of numbers make the most sense to you.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:haven't the book stated that sylvari are smaller than humans in general?

I heard that. I haven't read all three books yet. And it may be awhile before I do.

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:Regrettably, there are no 'right' answers. The only figure that ANet's ever given, as you mentioned, is that norn are nine feet tall.

Every chart out there is based off of player deduction. My understanding is that they start at one of two points- either that the average norn is nine feet tall, like the devs say, or that the average Tyrian human is the same size as the average Earthling human, which seems to be what that chart above is working off of.

Problem is, the devs shrunk the norn models for GW2 to make them more playable, so the two approaches provide different numbers. If humans are the same height as in the real world, norn are only about eight feet tall; if norn are nine feet tall, then the Tyrian human is also taller, with the average being more than six and a half feet.

The third option is to say that what we see in-game isn't representative, and that humans (and usually sylvari) are really human-sized and norn are really nine feet. If that's the case, though, and we can't trust what we see in-game to be accurate, then we have nothing to base charr and asura heights off of.

So, short version; there is no official height for asura, which means you're free to pick whichever set of numbers make the most sense to you.

The third option has the problem of in-game heights not being correct for human, norn, and slyvari, yet... what about charr and asura? Well, actually we have some info on that. It's said on the asura page that they are described as "only coming up to the belt of a norn." Charr, on the wiki: "They stand on their hind legs and are taller than a human by half of an average human's height, but do not have the massive bulk of the norn."

So, let's assume humans are 5' 7'' average. Half of 5 feet is 2.5 feet, or 2' 6'' and half of 7" is... 3.5" so charr, on average are 7' 9.5" (let's just round it up), so 7' 10''.

As for asura... well, we'd have to figure at what foot the "belt of a norn" is among that 9 feet before even deducing what height an asura is.

However, you make a strong point: there are no right answers, so... I personally think 3' 4'' for a female asura would be pretty average, maybe slightly above average IMO. So, there are my numbers. :p

@Fluffball.8307 said:Do you need an average height for humans? They're pretty clearly based on Earth humans.Probably not. It'd still be nice if Anet gave one. :p But as I responded above, I used an average Earth human height, 5' 7'' because you make a good point.

My guess is that what we see in-game isn't representative of the lore. For instance, Charr "stand on their hind legs[...]but do not have the massive bulk of the norn." Based off in-game models, this clearly isn't the case. More often then not, the charr have more bulk than the norn. This is especially true of norn women. Norn female models in GW2 are skinny and sexualized, to appeal to the players. If you look at the concept art of norn women from GW1, they are a lot heftier and less "sexy." So, the in-game norn were made shorter for playability and the women were humanized & slimmed down for sex appeal.In conclusion, I'd say that the in-game models do not represent lore perfectly.Norn are technically 9-foot-tall walls of meat and muscle--but are smaller and more humanized for playability.Similarly, charr are supposed to be intimidating and monstrous, lore-wise. But, many cutesy charr faces and joke hairs have been added, to appeal to more players.And asura, as a race that originally lived underground, are probably much more akin to what we saw in GW1, lore wise. Dark eyes, dark hair, wide mouths full of sharp teeth. But in GW2, we see many eye colors, hair colors, cute faces, and pert little mouths--again to appeal to players.

@Fluffball.8307 said:The norn and charr in GW1 where proportioned pretty similar to what we see in GW2. Jora was small and sexy. And some of the charr were massive hulks.

Jora was the poster child for EOTN, so she followed the standard that GW2 norn women do. The concept art, however, showcases much bulkier norn women.https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/1/16/Norn_concept_art_2.jpgThe "skinny sexy" was still there, but on the far right is a norn woman who actually fits the lore description of norn as "big, hulking," ect. Player character norn can achieve the bulk of the lady in the middle, but nowhere near the "hulking" body type on the right that better fits their lore description.

The charr were and are massive hulks, but lore-wise, you'd never see a face like this:https://i.imgur.com/EmEyVpv.png

Concept art isn't lore, though. That particular one was used for exactly two named NPCs, and it was still slimmed down a bit before being put in- the model is still stout, but it certainly isn't 'hulking'. The charr... the charr I'll grant you, although any race falls into creepy when you max the eye size sliders.

On the other hand, I would never call Jora 'small'.

Archived