Name Suggestions

Naming my characters has always been the hardest part of the game for me, so i don't think i can provide you with a cool name for your mesmer. However, i do have a tip for ya. If finding a single name which is not already taken is too difficult, try with a composite one. My characters all have a name and a surname (or a name and a title) because it's easier to find an available name if you use a combination of multiple words instead of just one. So for example your mesmer could be "Illusive Venus" or something like that.

When I'm in that situation I go to Wikipedia, or search online for info on the name and see what I can use or adapt to get a name with the same/similar meaning which isn't taken.

For example I had a charr with a tiger pattern, so I wanted to call her something tiger related, but not actually use the word tiger. I looked tigers up on Wikipedia and found the old species name for Siberian tigers - altaica. I liked the sound of it, so that became her first name. Similarly I've got a sylvari whose colour scheme was inspired by silver birch trees, but I didn't want to call her silver birch. I found the old Irish name for birches was bethe, combined that with the modern Welsh word arian for silver and made that her name.

You could certainly do something similar with Venus. For example you could use other names for the goddess, other goddesses with similar traits or spheres of influence, or related people and characters from mythology. Or other names for the planet, other mythological or legendary figures associated with the planet etc. Whatever appeals to you or fits your idea of how the name relates to the character.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:Indeed looking at Celtic godess of love makes sense.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_love_and_lust_deities#CelticIf you do not like these options (or if they are taken) you can use this list for more names

Epic. Thanks for posting this, because it helped me resolve something that had been niggling at me.

((Background: I also play SWTOR, on the EU French server The Leviathan.))

Back in the day, 2016 or so, I had joined a guild on one of the predecessor servers of The Leviathan, and the guild leader's main character was an alternative spelling of one of those Celtic names. I had often wondered where it came from, and now, perhaps, I know.

Thanks.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I found the old Irish name for birches was bethe, combined that with the modern Welsh word arian for silver and made that her name.

Be careful with that one, since Welsh uses the same word ("arian", as you said) for "silver" and "money".

Is it weird that I knew it as the word for money first, but even then I thought it was a nice word? It's used for both though, and the specific meaning usually comes from context. Somewhere (I think it was Machynlleth but I'm not completely sure) I even saw a shop with one sign that said 'Gof Arian' - for silversmith, with another one underneath and to the right saying 'peiriant arian parod' meaning there's a cash machine inside too.

I think in this case it works since the Welsh for silver birch is bedw arian. I just don't like the sound of Bedw as a name and thought Bethe was nicer. Plus I have a bad habit of mashing up languages to make character names rather than sticking to just one.

Edit: That's a good point though: another benefit of searching possible names online is you can find out what other associations might come up, besides the ones you're thinking of. I once called a dark elf character in Elder Scrolls Online Iorwerth, because a lot of dark elf names reminded me of Welsh but I didn't like any of them enough to use so I looked at Welsh names instead. Within a few minutes of creating him I had messages from 3 guild mates and 1 total stranger, all telling me I'd spelled it wrong and should have made him a wood elf anyway. Apparently they all assumed I was copying the character Iorweth from The Witcher, who at the time I'd never heard of, because it's the only place they'd encountered the name.

(I did end up re-creating him and changing the name, but still as a dark elf and to Ilorwerth, an older and more obscure variant I found online. Somehow that was different enough to stop people thinking of the Witcher character.)

@Danikat.8537 said:When I'm in that situation I go to Wikipedia, or search online for info on the name and see what I can use or adapt to get a name with the same/similar meaning which isn't taken.

For example I had a charr with a tiger pattern, so I wanted to call her something tiger related, but not actually use the word tiger. I looked tigers up on Wikipedia and found the old species name for Siberian tigers - altaica. I liked the sound of it, so that became her first name. Similarly I've got a sylvari whose colour scheme was inspired by silver birch trees, but I didn't want to call her silver birch. I found the old Irish name for birches was bethe, combined that with the modern Welsh word arian for silver and made that her name.

You could certainly do something similar with Venus. For example you could use other names for the goddess, other goddesses with similar traits or spheres of influence, or related people and characters from mythology. Or other names for the planet, other mythological or legendary figures associated with the planet etc. Whatever appeals to you or fits your idea of how the name relates to the character.

I related Venus to the venus fly trap plant, and you know how mesmers are? deceptive & tricky and ya know i also have my mawdrey on my back which is apparently a carnivorous plant so you could view at as an extension of my body to trap? wtf i sound so cringe lol

Here's a name website I use quite often: https://www.behindthename.com/You can search for names based on meaning, how they sound (harsh, strong, strange, elegant, etc.), variations of a name, etc.

Let's see, some Irish or Welsh (to fit with sylvari naming aesthetics) female names that mean "love", based on your name Venus...

• Angharad
  • Caron (can also be used as a masculine name)
  • Carys (sadly already taken by a sylvari NPC...oh well)
  • Ceri
  • Gráinne (means either "grain" or is associated with a word that means "love") - variants are Grania and Granya

There are also other names in different languages that sound like they could fit with sylvari naming conventions. For example, here's a list of feminine names in various languages that all mean "love."

sorry but hard pass lol

I use it for inspiration. I clicked Fantasy > Witch > Female and it spit out these names. Might be something there that inspires something to go with "venus." Or browse other categories.

Hagatha GraemeElisabeth CrimsonSerafina JinxSilvaria AngelsinMaescia HighmoreFrances TempestShearah MorganMaud SterosMorgana RexEsadora Grove

@necromaniac.7629 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:When I'm in that situation I go to Wikipedia, or search online for info on the name and see what I can use or adapt to get a name with the same/similar meaning which isn't taken.

I related Venus to the venus fly trap plant, and you know how mesmers are? deceptive & tricky and ya know i also have my mawdrey on my back which is apparently a carnivorous plant so you could view at as an extension of my body to trap? kitten i sound so cringe lol

Oh ok. I just assumed it was the goddess or the planet.

But the same idea works with the plant too, in fact there's probably even more options there and lots which won't be taken. (I use plant/animal names as inspiration a lot, including for new/tempoary characters and they're rarely taken. (Except Amanita which is the genus name for a group of mushrooms including several known as 'destroying angel'. I wanted to make an all-white female sylvari necromancer with the mushroom hair and white wings and call her Amanita, but someone beat me to it.)

I quite like Dionaea which is the genus name for venus flytraps. But it depends on what you like as a character name and how obvious you want the association to be for other people. I really don't mind if no one else understands my character names (although when they do it's a nice surprise) so I'm happy with using obscure terms.