1. Not join squad
2. Have long range AOE
3. Can run away from Zerg if needed
4. enough defense to survive surprising strike

:)

Comments

1. It would be great if I can harass people with range CC or immob
  • Caedmon.6798Caedmon.6798 Member ✭✭✭✭

Grab a warrior with double axes and double mace ! :)

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

A well played roaming elementalist can do most, if not, all of these things. The key words here though are well played.

• Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's more about having a roaming build you can pick off stragglers with rather than a specific profession.

• Sounds like you should play The Sims instead

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020

staff ele or burn guard are your best bets

Te lazla otstara.

• lodjur.1284lodjur.1284 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020

So you've decided that your playstyle is gonna be outnumbering smaller groups because fighting is scary and realized the best way of doing this is to play something ranged with high mobility. But the details of how to play like that still eludes you?

Well here is a handy guide on how to outnumber people, in case figuring it out is a bit hard.

1. Pick any bursty power builds, condi builds are far less effective at outnumbering. Alternatively, ignore doing any dmg and pick up only CC skills.
    2. Make sure you're playing with 3+ blocks/hard evades/invulns.
    3. Make sure you have a lot of mobility. Otherwise your pixels might get hurt.
    4. Find at least 10+ likeminded players still somehow fail at clouding down smaller more organized groups.

Ranger, Thief, Dragonhunter and Mesmer are all common choices for this as they all can chain invulns/blocks while running away, but anything really works with speed runes.

Ögonen omges av vita och svarta penseldrag som gör att de ser större ut än vad de egentligen är. Baksidan av lodjurets öron kantas av svart päls som slutar i den karaktäristiska tofsen högst upp på örat. Lodjurets svans är kortare än de flesta andra kattdjurs.

• Baldrick.8967Baldrick.8967 Member ✭✭✭

I think the OP was hoping for some click bait...

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Baldrick.8967 said:
    I think the OP was hoping for some click bait...

Hehe yeah. It could also be a complaint about some classes that they struggle against in disguise.

@OscLin.7253 said:
    Sounds like you should play The Sims instead

And def buy All the expansions !

• @Dawdler.8521 said:
    Not only that, it's about being good with it. And a player can be good with the "worst" build according to general consensus.
    You got to know how to move, where to move, when to commit and most importantly, who to target. The tactics of a 360 degree cloud seems to be lost on 90% of pugs.

That said, anything with ranged will be easiest and if you want to be "group effective" in the cloud, you need some kind of pull. Overcoming the perma-stab is what kills zergs, in the long run it doesnt matter if you can kill your target, as long as they can be pulled out someone else can CC, do damage and pull them even further. Most clouders unfortunetly miss that fact and focus on just doing basic damage. Works against a pug zerg, futile against an organized group with supports that knows how to sustain.

This pretty much covers it.

Proper clouding is all about positioning and awareness. You need to develop an eye for the right spots to apply pressure, to read the body language of the zerg so you can situate yourself properly, and to pick targets that will be the highest value kills or that are the easiest to dispense of.

With that said, clouding also requires that the pugs around you are confident enough to stay aggressive without full on retreating as soon as they take a little pressure. You can't cloud with only a couple people that know what they're doing or you end up losing your kills to rallies and not being able to commit to applying damage because it'll mean you need to over extend.

As has been said, you can cloud with anything if you know how to play it. I often enjoy doing so with core Necro and can consistently do so without dying or taking much pressure because I know how to dance with a zerg.

I see some people being sarcastic in here and I know clouding isn't something some people enjoy fighting. The frustration is in the name because it's like swatting at a cloud, you swing and you're mostly hitting air while that same cloud disperses and surrounds you. A good one can over take a much larger group pretty easily, especially if the larger group thinks half their numbers won't be a threat to the tail it's constantly losing.
    Whether people like it or not, it is a valid strategy and it works at any scale whether you're outnumbered or outnumbering. The only caveat is that everyone involved stay aggressive without over extending. A cloud that's always on the back pedal or pushing too hard isn't really a cloud, it's just pugs without a tag.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //
    My Youtube: Coconut Racecar
    Necromancer | Maguuma | Diamond Legend

• Threather.9354Threather.9354 Member ✭✭✭✭

You can also ask people around you. Theres 99% chance they're already playing your playstyle.

Riformed - Back but playing casually
    Diamond Legend
    ~Fix WvW plz~

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭✭

imo, to be truly effective, you need:

• Range. Can't cloud going full melee. 900 range is only remotely viable if you're tanky as kitten.
    • Good burst potential. If you're just tickling them, you don't really matter.
    • AOE or at least piercing. Purely single-target damage will get body-blocked a lot.
    • Some way to be effective through reflect spam. That means Unblockable projectiles or powerful non-projectile attacks (this is what meta boonball groups do as well, with their reliance on CoR/Phase Smash and necro Wells).
    • Some way to survive when a tighter-comped group tries to pick you off. A stun break alone isn't quite enough because of CC spam, you want either full stability/invuln or a stun break that also repositions you out of danger (like Blink or Shadow Step).
  • kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:
    It's more about having a roaming build you can pick off stragglers with rather than a specific profession.

Not only that, it's about being good with it. And a player can be good with the "worst" build according to general consensus.
    You got to know how to move, where to move, when to commit and most importantly, who to target. The tactics of a 360 degree cloud seems to be lost on 90% of pugs.

That said, anything with ranged will be easiest and if you want to be "group effective" in the cloud, you need some kind of pull. Overcoming the perma-stab is what kills zergs, in the long run it doesnt matter if you can kill your target, as long as they can be pulled out someone else can CC, do damage and pull them even further. Most clouders unfortunetly miss that fact and focus on just doing basic damage. Works against a pug zerg, futile against an organized group with supports that knows how to sustain.

Sometimes I'll see someone get pulled out and immediately go for like a 3 pull ride down the road. Sometimes their body language says they've accepted their fate because they know their people aren't ready to risk a rush for them yet.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL] & [SD]

• imo Ele. If you're poking zergs you'd be on your staff bar. But when you're roaming you just swap to your dagger/focus or whatever you work best with.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

Yeah certainly burn dh with its actionable block shield, teleports, immobilize, ranged aoe, huge damage oh and yeah invulnerability. More targets more good.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• @Justine.6351 said:

Yeah certainly burn dh with its actionable block shield, teleports, immobilize, ranged aoe, huge damage oh and yeah invulnerability. More targets more good.

DH is weak btw. Pls buff Longbow, ANet. 15k from 1500 range bad.
    Imagine having weak aspects of a class like everyone else, right.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

• hunkamania.7561hunkamania.7561 Member ✭✭✭✭

DH for sure

Aurora Glade Server Leader

[VR] Violent Resolution - SoS

• anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020

DH and Pewpew. For pewpew you need to go meme build thou (there is a gankbeast build in the ranger subforums which you can adapt for wvw) . Permastealth DE is also a good choice.

edited November 3, 2020

@SpellOfIniquity.1780 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

why the salt?
    not that I mind.

Make me good at game!

• @Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

why the salt?
    not that I mind.

I dislike DH, it is by far and long the most unenjoyable thing for me to fight, and it makes me roll my eyes when I see someone say DH longbow is weak which I've read more than once. The spec has gotten so many buffs and it continues to be an unrewarding thing to fight other than interrupting Wings of Resolve.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

why the salt?
    not that I mind.

I dislike DH, it is by far and long the most unenjoyable thing for me to fight, and it makes me roll my eyes when I see someone say DH longbow is weak which I've read more than once. The spec has gotten so many buffs and it continues to be an unrewarding thing to fight other than interrupting Wings of Resolve.

Funny I could salt about necros dumping marks on top of my head from 1200 range and corrupting every boon under the sun into condi.

Make me good at game!

• @Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

why the salt?
    not that I mind.

Funny I could salt about necros dumping marks on top of my head from 1200 range and corrupting every boon under the sun into condi.

Go ahead. Maybe ANet will remove more corrupts and targets from Scourge Shades so people can have their boon balls :D.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

why the salt?
    not that I mind.

Go ahead. Maybe ANet will remove more corrupts and targets from Scourge Shades so people can have their boon balls :D.

what are reapers.

Make me good at game!

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Evidev.3046 said:
    Give me your opinions what profession best fits for me. I want
    1. Not join squad
    2. Have long range AOE
    3. Can run away from Zerg if needed
    4. enough defense to survive surprising strike

:)

Play this style now, and though currently still changing things from this years patch, did have 23 builds that would work for this. It would probably be easier to discuss the classes/builds that don't. It's a matter of knowing your own builds limits, what size of zerg are you attacking. If you are running in a havoc where can you synergize with your group to help where your build might be lacking or you might help a spot that they need filled. Also know who your are playing against. Will they squirrel or turtle, squirrel you need more escape, turtle you need more yonks.

The 3 classes if I had to rank that have the most tools in their options would be Engi/Rev/Ranger if you are talking about things that can both range and dive in and out and have better odds of coming back out of the moshpit. Others have options, but those 3 have a number. Once upon a time all classes had more options, but that's getting thinner and thinner as nerfs happen and they prep for new Elites.

Good hunting!

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/Civ6/CU/AoC/NW

Tbh now,DE and go for stragglers,save your ss for safe finishes and youre set,just position properly.

• go watch risen howl video kek

• I always used scepter/focus FA ele for roaming/clouding. It comes with the fun perk of being so squishy you can get 2 shot by someone elses auto attack.

• KeyOrion.9506KeyOrion.9506 Member ✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:

The pugs are usually the ones that refuse to use meta profession or meta builds for zerg play, and are the one's kept at arms length from the zerg commander and his lietenants. Believe me, most of the "pugs" already know how to cloud, which infuriates a lot of the head on commanders that want to hit a solid body, not a swarm of insects he's waving blithly about in order to destroy. Much easier to hit a stand up target than a mosquito flitting around your ear.

• jul.7602jul.7602 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

Maguuma Cloud commander
    Burn DH
    Incredibly tanky, absolutely eviscerates enemies that don't have double sustain parties, does fairly well against tighly packed comped groups as well, has decent mobility, and works at 900 range.

Dragonbanner Zerker Revenant
    By far the highest damage build in the game, and demolishes even well comped squads. Use glint heal, stunbreaks and superspeed to escape getting trained down.

Marauder staff weaver
    Self explanatory. Land good meteors and destroy the enemy.

Triple well marauder scourge
    Doesn't have a lot of sustain, or any mobility, but if you can land 3 wells+scourge strips on the enemy blob then you've more than carried your weight.

Contrary to popular belief, the iconic glassbow ranger, or daredevil have limited uselessness wants you start fighting organized blobs with 40+ people.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

@jul.7602 said:
    Contrary to popular belief, the iconic glassbow ranger, or daredevil have limited uselessness wants you start fighting organized blobs with 40+ people.

Pretty sure no one believe that. Because glass is glass and glass breaks.

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

soulbeast in 50% minitrel + 50% trailblazer whit short bow, on swap horn and sword

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• kitten is "clouding"?

Adversity is the medium thru which strength and greatness are forged.