Legendary armor, piece by piece or all at once?

blp.3489

Is there any advantage to a piece of legendary armor over ascended before you get the whole set? It seems like being able to change runes on less than the whole set isn't that useful, although I guess it would cut costs a little, but given the cost of the armor... It will take many weeks to make a whole set because of the number of skirmish tickets needed and the limit of those per week, I wonder if I get it piece by piece something might happen over such a long time frame, for example deciding I want a different weight or something.Anyway, for those of you who have been there and done that, do you have any advice?

Personally, I've always made the entire armor at once (all 6 pieces). I did make PvE armors though and was raiding for years before armor even became available, so waiting and collecting LI was mandatory for the first 3 sets. The second 3 sets, I have 6 sets in total, it was just not as crucial so waiting was easier.

Guildies have crafted piece by piece, which worked for them.

There are benefits to either approach. Crafting all at once:

• makes you have to worry about materials only once or shortly before crafting the entire set, though keeping an eye on what you need total is needed
  • reduces the chance to by accident craft the same item twice, which can mean a lot of wasted materials and lost time and/or interaction with customer support
  • allows last minute changes to weight class if you are undecided

Crafting piece by piece:

• offers a continued motivation to keep going as you deck out your character more and more. Also fun
  • offers benefits of legendary armor earlier, even if you just change some pieces on the fly. Say changing some viper pieces to trailblazer or berserker to marauder, for just a tad more survival
  • forces you to continually reevaluate what you are missing, preventing nasty surprises with gated materials

Either approach works. The only thing I would recommend is try to enjoy the process and absolutely alway double check what you are crafting. Measure twice, cut once.

I did piece by piece on my main because I knew that is what I wanted to get. You get immediate benefits of changing stats and swapping out runes and infusions, which is nice even on piece by piece. It got me more excited to finish the whole set. I am working on a second different weight set, but am waiting til I have everything because I am crafting other legendaries at the moment.