Dungeons

Some sweet juicy 5man content is something many people deeply desire. Fractals are nice, yes, but it is a bummer to my mind that the already existing dungeons don't get any love anymore.In Guild Wars 1 once you've finished the story of one campaign, you got access to the so called "Hard mode" and that is something I really would like to see here for the already existing dungeons.The old dungeons polished for a harder challenge, the tokens you get there can either be used to get the already existing exotic sets, but furthermore an ascended and visibly upgraded version of all dungeon specific armory and weaponry could be included with selectable stats rather than given ones.

This way, the content of the core game would be recycled in a way profitable to many.I may imagine that revamping every path or even creating entire new paths solely for the hard mode could be a tedious act, but damn that would be so damn juicy. With the missing item spiral (which I don't miss at all) it wouldn't be too hard to include ascended equipment in there.It is one of GW2 strengths that you are able to get end gear through various opportunities. may it be crafting, fractals, pvp, wvw, raids...To my mind, it wouldn'T hurt if dungeons could be another possibility.

Additionally, i think it totally wouldn'T hurt to include 2-3 dungeons per expansion as well, giving some proper hints on some lore or even a neat side story. I really like this game and 5 man content, but fractals are nice but many times meh... and the dungeons are also ok but not profitable anymore. giving the dungeons a hard mode for lvl 80 players would really add something to the core game while also making it easier for new arriving players to get gear appropriate for other challenging content.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about it:)

@Integrity.2061 said:Some sweet juicy 5man content is something many people deeply desire. Fractals are nice, yes, but it is a bummer to my mind that the already existing dungeons don't get any love anymore.

Dungeons were abandoned on release for fractals.

There's no reason for them to work on dungeons in an capacity when they spent 8 years developing fractals in it's place.

I think dungeons are still fun. I think they just upgrade the rewards. Make it possible to buy core-Tyria stat-selectable ascended trinkets with dungeon tokens. Create a system where the Arah trinkets can have resettable stats (similar to blood ruby trinkets) and also allow for PoF and HoT prefixes. Also make all the exotic dungeon weapons 20% more expensive and stat-selectable with all prefixes (including HoT and PoF prefixes). Armor is basically fine as is for skin collectors (plus stat-selectable armor is farmable in HoT).

Adding a "Dungeon Mentor" daily type achievement for running the story instance that offers like 1 gold and 100 tokens for running any story mode that was already completed would also be better incentive for veteran players to run story modes which could help lower level players trying to complete the content during their personal story mission. If you complete the achievement 100 times or something award a Tyria Mastery Point, a title like "Dungeon Mentor", "Dirty Dungeoneer" or something. Also the ability to "skip" cutscenes in the story mode should be disabled since it is the "story" mode after all, and would put less pressure on new players feeling they are keeping a group of story-farmers behind.

I don't think dungeons need to be harder because players can choose fractals for harder content, and some people actually enjoy trying to solo the current dungeons.

@"firedragon.8953" said:I think dungeons are still fun. I think they just upgrade the rewards. Make it possible to buy core-Tyria stat-selectable ascended trinkets with dungeon tokens. Create a system where the Arah trinkets can have resettable stats (similar to blood ruby trinkets) and also allow for PoF and HoT prefixes. Also make all the exotic dungeon weapons 20% more expensive and stat-selectable with all prefixes (including HoT and PoF prefixes). Armor is basically fine as is for skin collectors (plus stat-selectable armor is farmable in HoT).

Adding a "Dungeon Mentor" daily type achievement for running the story instance that offers like 1 gold and 100 tokens for running any story mode that was already completed would also be better incentive for veteran players to run story modes which could help lower level players trying to complete the content during their personal story mission. If you complete the achievement 100 times or something award a Tyria Mastery Point, a title like "Dungeon Mentor", "Dirty Dungeoneer" or something. Also the ability to "skip" cutscenes in the story mode should be disabled since it is the "story" mode after all, and would put less pressure on new players feeling they are keeping a group of story-farmers behind.

I don't think dungeons need to be harder because players can choose fractals for harder content, and some people actually enjoy trying to solo the current dungeons.

I do like your ideas about it, this way dungeons would be way more profitable and intriguing, especially when the stats became selectable rather than giving fix stats which become rendered useless very often.However I'd still like the "hard-mode idea" as an addition to the dungeons rather than reworking them in general, so players get the choice whether they want to do the normal ones who remain as they are, or do the hardmode which yields better rewards such as ascended armor, weapons, trinkets and maybe even a dungeon specific back piece. :)

@choon.6308 said:Dungeons are still pretty much alive and there are still more dungeons + paths than fractals if I'm not mistaken

Alive as in : Find a guild that runs dungeons?

I tried to run dungeons for a whole week. I always opened groups or checked if others are searching. The result was disappointing.And on top of that, most of the runs I had where the group actually got full, mostly newbies joined who just reached the LVL needed to run this dungeon (I mean wtf Anet) were constantly dying and expecting to be carried with lot s of 'LULS'...

@Integrity.2061 said:

@choon.6308 said:Dungeons are still pretty much aliveHonestly, no, at least not on the european servers I play on. the LFG tool is empty most of the time sadly. I mean there are still some people who play them at times but it occurs very rarely

What time are you playing? I can finish dungeon frequenter twice a day easily, that's 16 paths a day. Always pugs and random calls on lfg. Not to mention I can't make my own lfg because of a bug but still find groups to play with.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@choon.6308 said:Dungeons are still pretty much alive and there are still more dungeons + paths than fractals if I'm not mistaken

Alive as in : Find a guild that runs dungeons?

I tried to run dungeons for a whole week. I always opened groups or checked if others are searching. The result was disappointing.And on top of that, most of the runs I had where the group actually got full, mostly newbies joined who just reached the LVL needed to run this dungeon (I mean kitten Anet) were constantly dying and expecting to be carried with lot s of 'LULS'...

No, alive as in alive. I don't have a guild and can always find random groups on lfg. Even as I'm typing there are lfg calls for every dungeon atm.

Thing is, announcements come and go really fast in an erratic way. One minute there are multiple lfgs for every dungeon, next minute there is nothing because the groups are full. It happens all the time.

However, when I was in NA servers that's when the lfg was truly deserted. No one played much group content. I could barely finish dungeon frequenter in 2 days maybe. Everyone was doing open world meta's instead. That's not the case in EU

@Linken.6345 said:I guess anet new dragon response missions are how we will get 1-5 player content from now on.

If they are popular, I would not be surprised if they ended up in another form in the expansion as well.

Personal story is also 1-5 man content. If it can be done solo, nobody will bother grouping up. I'm afraid it'll be solo content that you can trivialize with a 5 man group.

@Morvran.8265 said:

@Linken.6345 said:I guess anet new dragon response missions are how we will get 1-5 player content from now on.

If they are popular, I would not be surprised if they ended up in another form in the expansion as well.

Personal story is also 1-5 man content. If it can be done solo, nobody will bother grouping up. I'm afraid it'll be solo content that you can trivialize with a 5 man group.

Wait, dungeons can be done solo? Do I need to grossly out level the dungeon to do it solo or does it scale?

@mrcodez.6987 said:

Wait, dungeons can be done solo? Do I need to grossly out level the dungeon to do it solo or does it scale?

If you have a good grasp of your class and know the dungeons very well, these are playable solo.I myself played them only with a friend. But He played them solo because he knew them in and out and most of the time just used bugs and skips to exploit the mechanics.There are some videos on Youtube or articles on how to do this best.

@mrcodez.6987 said:

I think this is a misunderstanding, I didn't mention dungeons at all.

I was talking about the lvl 10-80 story and the Living World storymodes. Those are for groups of 1-5, and to me this sounds exactly like that. When was the last time you grouped up for those story chapters? Probably never. My fear is that the new response missions will essentially be single player content.

Although I wouldn't mind it if they made them hard. I loved doing the Mage Tower in WoW's Legion expansion, if they made these even just half as hard as those I'd be sold.

@Morvran.8265 said:

@mrcodez.6987 said:Although I wouldn't mind it if they made them hard. I loved doing the Mage Tower in WoW's Legion expansion, if they made these even just half as hard as those I'd be sold.I would guess that content of that caliber is not GW2's target audience based on the existing level of difficulty. Personally, I'm fine with that. If players are looking for WoW-level content, then I would prefer that they play WoW.

@Integrity.2061 said:I'd like to hear your thoughts about it:)Fractals are better than Dungeons in every way I can think of.If the choices are:

1. Dev resources spent iterating on old contentor
  2. Dev resources into FractalsFratctals are the clear winner to me.

The old dungeons polished for a harder challenge, the tokens you get there can either be used to get the already existing exotic sets, but furthermore an ascended and visibly upgraded version of all dungeon specific armory and weaponry could be included with selectable stats rather than given ones.How about instead of offering a path to Ascended gear in Dungeons (where it is not needed), they chopped up the existing explorables and turned them into fractals like Sky Pirates of Tyria was turned into Mai Trin and Aetherblade? Make sure they scale to t4 and let me convert fractal relics into Dungeon currencies.

The old dungeons are, quite simply, not good. They are buggy, and filled with repeated content/encounters and other than AC, not particularly good for atmosphere with the sheer amount of immersion breaking reused assets. The only thing they are good for currently is the cosmetic skins. Dangling Ascended gear to get people to do them would only highly how deficient this content truly is.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Integrity.2061 said:I'd like to hear your thoughts about it:)Fractals are better than Dungeons in every way I can think of.If the choices are:
  1. Dev resources spent iterating on old contentor
  2. Dev resources into FractalsFratctals are the clear winner to me.

The old dungeons polished for a harder challenge, the tokens you get there can either be used to get the already existing exotic sets, but furthermore an ascended and visibly upgraded version of all dungeon specific armory and weaponry could be included with selectable stats rather than given ones.How about instead of offering a path to Ascended gear in Dungeons (where it is not needed), they chopped up the existing explorables and turned them into fractals like Sky Pirates of Tyria was turned into Mai Trin and Aetherblade? Make sure they scale to t4 and let me convert fractal relics into Dungeon currencies.

The old dungeons are, quite simply, not good. They are buggy, and filled with repeated content/encounters and other than AC, not particularly good for atmosphere with the sheer amount of immersion breaking reused assets. The only thing they are good for currently is the cosmetic skins. Dangling Ascended gear to get people to do them would only highly how deficient this content truly is.

I honestly like your ideas. And it is undeniable that most dungeons cannot really be considered good content due to bugs etcetc. The fractals are more polished in any way imaginable and with these they have proven that they can design intriguing and challenging 5man content.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@mrcodez.6987 said:Although I wouldn't mind it if they made them hard. I loved doing the Mage Tower in WoW's Legion expansion, if they made these even just half as hard as those I'd be sold.I would guess that content of that caliber is not GW2's target audience based on the existing level of difficulty. Personally, I'm fine with that. If players are looking for WoW-level content, then I would prefer that they play WoW.

Difficult solo content is exclusive to WoW? How about Liadri which is the same idea just not nearly as fleshed out.

I know half the playerbase would cry a river if any meaningful reward were put behind that type of content but if WoW and ESO could both get away with it, I am sure we could survive.

Fractals are better than Dungeons in every way I can think of.

Except fun. Dungeons are the pure vanilla GW2 experience and people have a lot of memories with them.

Fractals are not very fun but feel like a chore to get through for rewards. I don't think I ever had fun in cliffside, siren's reef, molten boss, aquatic, urban battleground etc.