Why deadeye in the first place? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why deadeye in the first place?

2>

Comments

  • I would like to point out the the term sniper and sharp shooter is a rlly old term and not purely a modern one.
    The verb "to snipe" originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India in reference to shooting snipe, which was considered a challenging target for marksmen. The agent noun "sniper" appears by the 1820s.[1] The term sniper was first attested in 1824[not in citation given] in the sense of the word "sharpshooter".[1]

    A somewhat older term is "sharp shooter", a calque of 18th-century German Scharfschütze, in use in British newspapers as early as 1801

  • Reason for deadeye is that thief is already really good at the whole "melee evasion murder" concept. About the only thing that could be done with it was giving it the ranged option of that. I see a lot of thief players who want a straight upgrade to what they already do, maybe with a slight thematic change.

    Daredevil was basically really really good and it has not left much room for anything else.

  • Cynz.9437Cynz.9437 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @chronometria.3708 said:
    Reason for deadeye is that thief is already really good at the whole "melee evasion murder" concept. About the only thing that could be done with it was giving it the ranged option of that. I see a lot of thief players who want a straight upgrade to what they already do, maybe with a slight thematic change.

    Daredevil was basically really really good and it has not left much room for anything else.

    Not true. They could have given thieves spec that would expand their role (e.g. give us support capabilities) instead of being permanently decap-pet. Look up Ana from Overwatch = example of support sniper that is very strong and valued.

    GW is P2Win. We are always lied to.

  • Crossaber.8934Crossaber.8934 Member ✭✭✭

    @zengara.8301 said:

    @Crossaber.8934 said:

    @zengara.8301 said:
    yeaaah, thats very subjective again. I personally find it the other way around. Though the out of place part is a good touch, since I personally havent dwelled into that in the comments. But I probably do not need to dwell way into it, because most who wanted a sniper usually got the response of it being way out of place, that the scope would not make any sense in this fantasy game, and why even have a stealthy ranger etc.
    Furhter undeniable truth would be that gw1 showcased "samurais", hairdo and all:

    It is actually reminds me Ninja instead of Samurai. I always think he is a ninja/assassin since faction.

    ohh sorry, posted actually time on video, but the whole video came up. It was actually the people bursting in (time; 1:23) I was thinking about, I very much agree that he would be a ninja

    Great, i do wish GS comes to thief and make thief looks like a bad_ss ninja, especially with belinda's greatsword.

    Cross

  • babazhook.6805babazhook.6805 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @Cynz.9437 said:

    @chronometria.3708 said:
    Reason for deadeye is that thief is already really good at the whole "melee evasion murder" concept. About the only thing that could be done with it was giving it the ranged option of that. I see a lot of thief players who want a straight upgrade to what they already do, maybe with a slight thematic change.

    Daredevil was basically really really good and it has not left much room for anything else.

    Not true. They could have given thieves spec that would expand their role (e.g. give us support capabilities) instead of being permanently decap-pet. Look up Ana from Overwatch = example of support sniper that is very strong and valued.

    I am not so certain , had the thief been given a larger support role, anything would have changed in the Meta. The impression I get from PvP players is they are fixated on the meta and on defined roles and when a given profession tries to change that role , they get a lot of grief for trying to do so. I think the major part of the problem here is not so much the SPECS themselves on an individual basis , but how PvP is constructed and laid out. If the mode needs a team member to focus on decaps then the class with the best mobility will tend to take up that role.

  • Maugetarr.6823Maugetarr.6823 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @zengara.8301

    Well, for the theme, they could have been thinking more of a historical assassin for how they developed it. I mean they called it Deadeye because in terms of game lore, assassins are tied to Cantha. In terms of real history, assassins are tied to the middle east. The theme of the class sort of fits the patient assassin

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

    Relevant quote from the wiki article:

    physical prowess was not the only trait that was required to be a "Fida'i". To get to their targets, the Assassins had to be patient, cold, and calculating. They were generally intelligent and well-read because they were required to possess not only knowledge about their enemy, but his or her culture and their native language. They were trained by their masters to disguise themselves and sneak into enemy territory to perform the assassinations, instead of simply attacking their target outright.

    So it seems to me they based malice on observing the target and marking a specific enemy and giving a stealth elite to help sneak around. The new stolen skills revolve around copying aspects of the marked target (guardian - aegis, necro-vampirism, mesmer - quickness, etc).

    In terms of weapons, it's not like they could have given us daggers, and other weapons like greatsword or axes wouldn't really have fit an assassination role. Rifle, however, fit the theme of a modern day assassin and changed how the class played, so it made sense from a gameplay and thematic design decision.

    Anyway, I like the theme and if they smoothed out/bugfix rifle, it could be a great weapon.

  • Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @zengara.8301 said:
    Well......The sniper rifle literally is meant to be a modern sniper, even if you remove the obvious picture of a sniper, the sniper position on 1 knee (from other games, reality, of cause, is different.....but so is it with gunslinger) and the difference in gunslingers being more heavy when moving and shooting.......the name of the traits literally say Sniper covers and silent scope, but it really does not matter, you can change it to gunslinger I guess, if you remove the traits and focus on the PP play. Can not deny that the actual elite specialization is meant to be a sniper, like from Overwatch tho.

    How would you want the rifle fixed, like what would be the purpose of it? Rifle and PP even with the f1 being ranged isnt really good for anything beside picking people off in wvw (roaming), not even dungeons.
    I get that we have a difference in opinion, I generally dont know what you do in the game, I play WvW mainly and sometimes raid that is probably why I wanted thief to be part of that melee train without getting destroyed at the first push.

    Well probably not firearm classes, but there are more long ranged than close ranged classes (if we look at meta, of cause anyone can be melee, even elementalist, and anyone can use 100% of their time in Gw2 just enjoying the nature of the game while only collecting mining, like what was thought about BDO......but there is always a main way people generally play, and a main way the company moves the game on)

    If you want to cherry pick, sure... Silent Scope and Sniper's Cover means deadeye is exclusively a sniper.

    If you look at the other traits you got...
    "Be Fast or Be Killed" Which is a dude holding two six shooters. The trait is basically a quick draw that allows you to rapidly burst a player down before he even gets a chance to react. A common trait for a western fantasy gunslinger is how fast they are at getting a bead and shooting someone from afar with a winchester or colt 45.
    Peripherial Vision: Which is far more important to a gun slinger than a Sniper.
    Maleficent Seven: A direct reference to a western gunslinger movie.
    One in the Chamber: Which uses the image of a bullet loaded in the Cylinder, really did not become a thing till the days of the repeaters and six shooters.

    If anything, Deadeye is more like the main character of a western movie like Winchester 73, Tomb Stone, or Highnoon.

    Hell when I play deadeye, I don't think I'm Widowmaker. I see myself as a western outlaw riding on the back of a Raptor, and armed with a god kitten repeating rifle and two smoke wagons.

  • Maugetarr.6823Maugetarr.6823 Member ✭✭✭

    @Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

    @zengara.8301 said:
    Well......The sniper rifle literally is meant to be a modern sniper, even if you remove the obvious picture of a sniper, the sniper position on 1 knee (from other games, reality, of cause, is different.....but so is it with gunslinger) and the difference in gunslingers being more heavy when moving and shooting.......the name of the traits literally say Sniper covers and silent scope, but it really does not matter, you can change it to gunslinger I guess, if you remove the traits and focus on the PP play. Can not deny that the actual elite specialization is meant to be a sniper, like from Overwatch tho.

    How would you want the rifle fixed, like what would be the purpose of it? Rifle and PP even with the f1 being ranged isnt really good for anything beside picking people off in wvw (roaming), not even dungeons.
    I get that we have a difference in opinion, I generally dont know what you do in the game, I play WvW mainly and sometimes raid that is probably why I wanted thief to be part of that melee train without getting destroyed at the first push.

    Well probably not firearm classes, but there are more long ranged than close ranged classes (if we look at meta, of cause anyone can be melee, even elementalist, and anyone can use 100% of their time in Gw2 just enjoying the nature of the game while only collecting mining, like what was thought about BDO......but there is always a main way people generally play, and a main way the company moves the game on)

    If you want to cherry pick, sure... Silent Scope and Sniper's Cover means deadeye is exclusively a sniper.

    If you look at the other traits you got...
    "Be Fast or Be Killed" Which is a dude holding two six shooters. The trait is basically a quick draw that allows you to rapidly burst a player down before he even gets a chance to react. A common trait for a western fantasy gunslinger is how fast they are at getting a bead and shooting someone from afar with a winchester or colt 45.
    Peripherial Vision: Which is far more important to a gun slinger than a Sniper.
    Maleficent Seven: A direct reference to a western gunslinger movie.
    One in the Chamber: Which uses the image of a bullet loaded in the Cylinder, really did not become a thing till the days of the repeaters and six shooters.

    If anything, Deadeye is more like the main character of a western movie like Winchester 73, Tomb Stone, or Highnoon.

    Hell when I play deadeye, I don't think I'm Widowmaker. I see myself as a western outlaw riding on the back of a Raptor, and armed with a god kitten repeating rifle and two smoke wagons.

    McCree then?

    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/mccree/

  • @Maugetarr.6823 said:

    @Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

    @zengara.8301 said:
    Well......The sniper rifle literally is meant to be a modern sniper, even if you remove the obvious picture of a sniper, the sniper position on 1 knee (from other games, reality, of cause, is different.....but so is it with gunslinger) and the difference in gunslingers being more heavy when moving and shooting.......the name of the traits literally say Sniper covers and silent scope, but it really does not matter, you can change it to gunslinger I guess, if you remove the traits and focus on the PP play. Can not deny that the actual elite specialization is meant to be a sniper, like from Overwatch tho.

    How would you want the rifle fixed, like what would be the purpose of it? Rifle and PP even with the f1 being ranged isnt really good for anything beside picking people off in wvw (roaming), not even dungeons.
    I get that we have a difference in opinion, I generally dont know what you do in the game, I play WvW mainly and sometimes raid that is probably why I wanted thief to be part of that melee train without getting destroyed at the first push.

    Well probably not firearm classes, but there are more long ranged than close ranged classes (if we look at meta, of cause anyone can be melee, even elementalist, and anyone can use 100% of their time in Gw2 just enjoying the nature of the game while only collecting mining, like what was thought about BDO......but there is always a main way people generally play, and a main way the company moves the game on)

    If you want to cherry pick, sure... Silent Scope and Sniper's Cover means deadeye is exclusively a sniper.

    If you look at the other traits you got...
    "Be Fast or Be Killed" Which is a dude holding two six shooters. The trait is basically a quick draw that allows you to rapidly burst a player down before he even gets a chance to react. A common trait for a western fantasy gunslinger is how fast they are at getting a bead and shooting someone from afar with a winchester or colt 45.
    Peripherial Vision: Which is far more important to a gun slinger than a Sniper.
    Maleficent Seven: A direct reference to a western gunslinger movie.
    One in the Chamber: Which uses the image of a bullet loaded in the Cylinder, really did not become a thing till the days of the repeaters and six shooters.

    If anything, Deadeye is more like the main character of a western movie like Winchester 73, Tomb Stone, or Highnoon.

    Hell when I play deadeye, I don't think I'm Widowmaker. I see myself as a western outlaw riding on the back of a Raptor, and armed with a god kitten repeating rifle and two smoke wagons.

    McCree then?

    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/mccree/

    Nah, try Doc Holliday

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I just laughed at

    Thief = Sniper girl from Overwatch

    10/10

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.