Why deadeye in the first place?

zengara.8301

I get that A-Net want to cater to their audience, but it was way to boring and direct knowing that people wanted a sniper class.....The class itself is understandable.....thief=sniper girl from Overwatch.......I dont know, just shows that there is not that much imagination behind it, which might follow along the whole expansion to be honest, but I am not a Gw1 player, so I would only not know.Personally thought they would take an alternative route. Thief becoming a Samurai-ish class, that would make the transformation story deeper. A thief finding out that snipers are a thing after they got a pistol seems kinda.....meeh, even with the order of shadows, but a already written story from reality transformed into the game would honestly not only totally transform thief in every place possible (PvE, SPvP, WvW) It would also make the story deeper, of how they defended against the forged and awakened for so long...etc etc.

I dont know, I literally just wanted everything but sniper, since it is boring going from 1 high melee dps class to 1 high ranged dps class. (not something just came up btw, always spoken about this, even before HoT classes where revealed)and yeah...I get I can just play Guard or Warrior and that I got literally over 1000 lvl up scrolls if I havent already (I have), but its simply about expanding a class all around, it would have been more fun to explorer this path, it would benefit PvE, WvW greatly, I am not a big SPvP fan, but thiefs are currently jump around classes.....so maybe? Idk how much they are used.

And finally....yes I get I can just put tanky gear on and go wvw, or SPvP and role play.......But unless if the 80^2x opponents decides to do that as well, then it might not be a good idea

Just my 2 cents, but deadeye is currently OP, I cant be too mad I guess

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is more then a sniper though. The Deadeye is more akin to a gunslinger then a modern sniper with how it changes the steal skill to the mark. The mark allows better pistol play then it did with DD since you don't have to get close anymore. Also, if they ever fix the rifle which I do love, it will be a long range weapon dealing melee level of damage on opponents which was sorely needed for this game to move away from it's melee centricness.

So yes, it might be a boring concept to you or to others, it was sorely needed for the balance of this game to have a good long range option for people that have wanted it for a long time. There is not enough firearm wielding classes in this game as is. It needs more in my opinion.

Well......The sniper rifle literally is meant to be a modern sniper, even if you remove the obvious picture of a sniper, the sniper position on 1 knee (from other games, reality, of cause, is different.....but so is it with gunslinger) and the difference in gunslingers being more heavy when moving and shooting.......the name of the traits literally say Sniper covers and silent scope, but it really does not matter, you can change it to gunslinger I guess, if you remove the traits and focus on the PP play. Can not deny that the actual elite specialization is meant to be a sniper, like from Overwatch tho.

How would you want the rifle fixed, like what would be the purpose of it? Rifle and PP even with the f1 being ranged isnt really good for anything beside picking people off in wvw (roaming), not even dungeons.I get that we have a difference in opinion, I generally dont know what you do in the game, I play WvW mainly and sometimes raid that is probably why I wanted thief to be part of that melee train without getting destroyed at the first push.

Well probably not firearm classes, but there are more long ranged than close ranged classes (if we look at meta, of cause anyone can be melee, even elementalist, and anyone can use 100% of their time in Gw2 just enjoying the nature of the game while only collecting mining, like what was thought about BDO......but there is always a main way people generally play, and a main way the company moves the game on)

yeah, that part was very subjective, I believe that the "samurai thief" class would have more depht, even if saying the same words as the snipers from shadows order, other might believe otherwise, really does not matter in the end since it is very subjective.

My focus point was the reasoning for choosing sniper, since everyone else since HoT (Even WP I think) wanted a sniper. The primary reason for choosing a frontliner was of cause because how much more worth the thiefs could be in different areas of the game.

@ZyniX.3589 said:If you don't like it that's fine. Everyone isn't supposed to fall in love with every elite spec. Maybe the next thief elite will cater to your taste. I enjoy the Deadeye rifle even if it could use more damage. It does have decent burst and good boon sharing.

Well, if I have to be 100% transparent, instead of depending on what is written between the lines, it would be cool to know others thoughts are about the snipers.And I personally do not think we need more damage :b Most people are experiencing 1 shot kill in WvW and 2-3 shot in SPvP; I would recomend you to watch this youtube video that shows you how to "use" a deadeye to its full potential

@zengara.8301 said:Well......The sniper rifle literally is meant to be a modern sniper, even if you remove the obvious picture of a sniper, the sniper position on 1 knee (from other games, reality, of cause, is different.....but so is it with gunslinger) and the difference in gunslingers being more heavy when moving and shooting.......the name of the traits literally say Sniper covers and silent scope, but it really does not matter, you can change it to gunslinger I guess, if you remove the traits and focus on the PP play. Can not deny that the actual elite specialization is meant to be a sniper, like from Overwatch tho.

How would you want the rifle fixed, like what would be the purpose of it? Rifle and PP even with the f1 being ranged isnt really good for anything beside picking people off in wvw (roaming), not even dungeons.I get that we have a difference in opinion, I generally dont know what you do in the game, I play WvW mainly and sometimes raid that is probably why I wanted thief to be part of that melee train without getting destroyed at the first push.

Well probably not firearm classes, but there are more long ranged than close ranged classes (if we look at meta, of cause anyone can be melee, even elementalist, and anyone can use 100% of their time in Gw2 just enjoying the nature of the game while only collecting mining, like what was thought about BDO......but there is always a main way people generally play, and a main way the company moves the game on)

Yes, I know of the trait naming, but be quick or be killed is a cowboy with two pistols. It can go either way. A lot of the traits do support P/P like a gunslinger. Also, one in the chamber showing a revolver cylinder open.

They have to increase it's damage for PvE with more piercing rounds and a lot of other stuff I don't want to cover here. There are threads all about it though on this forum on how to buff its damage. Too long and too lazy for myself to type out. I don't care about the WvW/Spvp side. I only care about the PvE side for buffing the damage. The pvp side is a whole other issue with people that actually play those modes knowing more.

All those classes that have access to long range weapons don't really use them though because of how they buffed melee combat and those weapons, so there really isn't a long range weapon user other then Staff Ele and SB sw/torch ranger. There needs to be more then just those two which is why Deadeye was needed.

@zengara.8301 said:

@ZyniX.3589 said:If you don't like it that's fine. Everyone isn't supposed to fall in love with every elite spec. Maybe the next thief elite will cater to your taste. I enjoy the Deadeye rifle even if it could use more damage. It does have decent burst and good boon sharing.

Well, if I have to be 100% transparent, instead of depending on what is written between the lines, it would be cool to know others thoughts are about the snipers.And I personally do not think we need more damage :b Most people are experiencing 1 shot kill in WvW and 2-3 shot in SPvP; I would recomend you to watch this youtube video that shows you how to "use" a deadeye to its full potential

Oh I am coming from a PvE perspective. Stealth sniper just sounds OP for pvp heh.

Yeah, if you don't like the concept, that's fine, everyone has their own tastes. I don't think Deadeye was a bad idea, it maybe could have waited a turn or two, but it was almost inevitable eventually. I'm only upset by the execution, which I don't think is competitive with Daredevil for my attention.

I had trepidations on the concept when first announced, but I have immersed myself in the new DE and find it lots of fun. The traitline is designed in such a way that all manner of builds and weaponsets can benefit off it. The Sniper as a role is one I have begun to enjoy and it very effective in its role. The Cowboy build I use with p/p and Rifle is a hoot and while I have to worry about reflects and projectile hate , I think that a fair compromise and something I can deal with.

With SA traited using CIS I can sit on tower walls or the high ground with rifle and deliberately select my next victim in an enemy zerg using the rifle. Popping in and out of stealth makes countering hard and if they do load where I am parked with AOE the combo of shadows resilience and CIS allows me to eat some damage before I move to another location. In open field I switch to p/p when it preferable.

In open field I decide on the fly which weapon will work better at a given time. If there high terrain that acts as a buffer between myself and the targets I seek it out and "set up shop"with the rifle . If the battle more fluid I will go to p/p and ffocus down the enemy i decided to mark. I am really enjoying this more then the dodge dodge of the DD spec. I am not saying it "better" then DD. I am saying there are all manner of reasons to like it and prefer it over DD and if a given person does not like the style, it does not mean that nobody does.

Added to this I do not find the rifle as OP. I have fallen a few times on one of my own to a DE sniper in a single shot and just shrug it off whether on my own thief or warrior or any other builds I might play. It is generally DJ That does this to me and more often then not when I am downed in such a manner , I had plenty of tools available to avoid the hit. I was just not paying attention.

From the side of the DE , I have noticed the very presence of a DE can change how people on the other side act when they know one around especiallywhen they are the mark. Some will start randomly dodging or blocking. Some break off froma fight they are in and might be winning to flee, others abandon the sure thing stomp of a downed that they might have pulled off before. Some will break off from their group and try to eliminate you as a threat. Others seem oblivious to your presence and become easy marks. The more skilled the enemy the harder the kill will be and that a good thing.

@zengara.8301 said:

Zerk amulet...nuff said. Any decent player, especially an opposing DD will shit on it.

Those pathetic auto damage is a joke. A lb SlB does a better job than this while having more sustain.

There's a reason montages mean nothing. This is a great example of it. Big numbers mean little.

Also, none of those players knew how to dodge/reflect/absorb/block.

@Asur.9178 said:

@zengara.8301 said:

Zerk amulet...nuff said. Any decent player, especially an opposing DD will kitten on it.

Those pathetic auto damage is a joke. A lb SlB does a better job than this while having more sustain.

There's a reason montages mean nothing. This is a great example of it. Big numbers mean little.

Dodging/reflecting/absorbing/blocking means nothing when you fail to notice the Deadeye setting up. And if the Deadeye knows what they are doing, you won't notice them.

I find it pretty hard to see how one would tie a samurai to a desert that's clearly a hybrid mash of mainland Asiain nations. A desert bandit with a rifle, on the other hand, does fit the bill - gunpowder and primitive projectiles have been used in that corner of the world for thousands of years.

Rifle is among the most underused weapons in the game (among other weapons like Shortbow). I think it's safe to assume we'll be seeing a lot more of them on other classes at some point.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Asur.9178 said:

@zengara.8301 said:

Zerk amulet...nuff said. Any decent player, especially an opposing DD will kitten on it.

Dodging/reflecting/absorbing/blocking means nothing when you fail to notice the Deadeye setting up. And if the Deadeye knows what they are doing, you won't notice them.

I could break down the entire video for you, but that isn't necessary...so I'll use the very first two kills.

There's zero reasons for that necro to have not seen the DE running far/their home. He was not in stealth while running there. Hmmmm...I wonder what that could mean. Oh, were you derping and didn't see it? Okay...pay attention to the sound. There's more than enough sound tells in this game.

Oh, did you respawn and noticed your node just flipped? I wonder if there's an enemy there....hmmmmmm...sure must have flipped by itself after you just died to a DE. Surely there's no enemy at the point. /s

DJ reveals you before shooting. The telegraphs are long and big enough for anyone not blind to see and react to it.

Like I said, anyone can make a montage, especially with low skilled players. Doesn't make that elite spec/build good though. DE may be decent at trash tier PvP and open world PvE (it's a joke), but it's trash in competitive PvP AND hardcore PvE. It is especially bad when using rifle.

PS: A glass-cannon 1-shot build like this for DD outperforms that 1-shot-1-trick pony DE. Doesn't mean it's good though.

@Crossaber.8934 said:Thief with shadow step never fit into samurai style, unless you are actually thinking about ninja.

Samurai is a japanese warrior, they are fast and deadly warrior in heavy armor, they value honor a lot, a thief samurai with stealth and back stab is never any samurai-ish.

That actually depends on what era of samurai we are talking, and what kind of samurai. For example ronin, which were lordless samurai rarely wore heavy armor and would wear cloth and/or leather. They also were faster than the older era samurai due to their lack of heavy armor.Older eras of samurai would focus more on high precision strike in short bursts since they are capable of taking blows and are often weighed down by their armor. Those precision strikes would be focused on hitting points where the opponent is more vulnerable and the armor doesn't cover very well.

Also most/some samurai often carried more than one sword so it could go either way when it comes to great-sword or sword/sword. If we do get a great-sword though I hope it is a condi-weapon. We have enough power great-swords as it is. Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Mesmer, Necromancer, etc are all mainly power focused.

I personally would like something similar to older era samurai in style, but replace the heavy armor with shadow magic. There was a popular defensive ability called Shadow Form that I liked in gw1 and would enjoy seeing return that made all incoming attacks miss at a certain percentage for its duration. Maybe have that replace our steal mechanic and to be used to give us longer periods of safety to burst and escape once we are initiative starved.

I think the concept is absolutely fine. Thief has always been quite "stereotypical" as a profession, but with an added GW twist with the shadow magic (if you can call it that) and I think this carries on with deadeye too. I mean you are a sniper that shoots cursed bullets, with cantrips like shadow flare. It reminds me a bit of like a gunmage or something.

I like Rifle a lot in WVW as it allows me to keep my distance but still deal damage and support the rest of the blob. Traiting for boons on steal allow me to rip boons from enemies and share them with the group. It's fun!

@Acheron.4576 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:Thief with shadow step never fit into samurai style, unless you are actually thinking about ninja.

Samurai is a japanese warrior, they are fast and deadly warrior in heavy armor, they value honor a lot, a thief samurai with stealth and back stab is never any samurai-ish.

That actually depends on what era of samurai we are talking, and what kind of samurai. For example ronin, which were lordless samurai rarely wore heavy armor and would wear cloth and/or leather. They also were faster than the older era samurai due to their lack of heavy armor.Older eras of samurai would focus more on high precision strike in short bursts since they are capable of taking blows and are often weighed down by their armor. Those precision strikes would be focused on hitting points where the opponent is more vulnerable and the armor doesn't cover very well.

Also most/some samurai often carried more than one sword so it could go either way when it comes to great-sword or sword/sword. If we do get a great-sword though I hope it is a condi-weapon. We have enough power great-swords as it is. Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Mesmer, Necromancer, etc are all mainly power focused.

I personally would like something similar to older era samurai in style, but replace the heavy armor with shadow magic. There was a popular defensive ability called Shadow Form that I liked in gw1 and would enjoy seeing return that made all incoming attacks miss at a certain percentage for its duration. Maybe have that replace our steal mechanic and to be used to give us longer periods of safety to burst and escape once we are initiative starved.

No matter new era or old era, it doesn't help that stealth, back stab, shadowstep from core thief doesn't go well with samurai-ish in any way. If it is the other way around, like if we have a core class named samurai with elite spec that give stealth/shadowstep/back stab to a samurai, a samurai + thiet, it will work!

But we don't have a core named samurai, when a thief + warrior, it shouldn't give samurai as a result. I don't opposite a new elite as thief + warrior, give them enhanced armor buff and fight like a warrior to some extend, that will be great, give him another name instead of samurai, it is perfectly fine.

@Crossaber.8934 said:

No matter new era or old era, it doesn't help that stealth, back stab, shadowstep from core thief doesn't go well with samurai-ish in any way. If it is the other way around, like if we have a core class named samurai with elite spec that give stealth/shadowstep/back stab to a samurai, a samurai + thiet, it will work!

But we don't have a core named samurai, when a thief + warrior, it shouldn't give samurai as a result. I don't opposite a new elite as thief + warrior, give them enhanced armor buff and fight like a warrior to some extend, that will be great, give him another name instead of samurai, it is perfectly fine.

That isn't necessarily true. Thief as a profession is a burst type class in its core due to the initiative system. This works really well with the samurai style of fighting. They tend to use bursting strikes with emphasis on precision and/or speedy strikes. (think about skills like Iai strikes)

Looking at utilities and weapon skills from core to determine whether or not it will suit the profession undermines the whole point of elite specs which is to give different concepts for the same or similar mechanics. Like how deadeye gives a mark for more focus on range and the use of shadow magic or the necromancer who got a new shroud and shouts with reaper. Functionality is more or less the same, but the approach is different. The same could be said for a Samurai-esque Thief elite spec. In functionality and style it clicks perfectly and would be a new approach to the bursty play-style.

I personally think if we do get an elite spec like this, I'd hope it would be more condi-focused. Maybe even have an elite or utility skill that allows you to "detonate" your conditions to do burst damage. (Think about a scene when two samurai clash and a few moments past and they just burst all at once and blood comes out from all their injuries.) Not only is pretty much every other great-sword user power focused, but it would help deviate from the cliche samurai archetype and becomes its own thing.

Archived