Is there a better way for ArenaNet than abandoning old content to focus on new content?

Atticus.7194

There might be something I'm missing but it seems hilariously wasteful to keep making and releasing modes and if they're not a FLAWLESS PERFECT SUCCESS right off the bat and abandoning them and moving onto create something else from scratch which will of course be held to the same unrealistic standards and most likely abandoned too. I mean with the roadmap we know strikes aren't getting any new substantive content, existing masteries are abandoned, pvp isn't getting any, wvw isn't getting any and raids isn't getting any and dungeons are of course not getting any. We are however getting a random new mode that's dungeons 2.0 and bound to fail (it's essentially bite sized dungeons, come on) and I'm just wondering, isn't there a better way?

This game has good bones and ArenaNet can have great ideas so why waste so many development resources making something if you're not going to take the time to keep polishing and iterating it until it really works? I mean not trying to be negative but it doesn't even seem like ArenaNet learns from their mistakes they just ping pong to random new projects and hope they work out. Just disheartening when you see the content they have has the potential to be GREAT if they would just take the time and effort to finesse it into being really functional.

Take away, after 9 years it feels like core aspects are of this game are neglected as ever and have the same issues while ArenaNet is off chasing the next set of shiny keys dangling in front of them and its disheartening.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you expect "Dragon Response Missions" to be that much different from "Strike Missions"?

I think the recent Mount Stealth mastery was really cool, and the underwater skimmer mastery is nice. I really like masteries that aren't tied to a few maps, I hope we'll see more of them. I wouldn't call masteries dead quite yet. It would be really cool to see some weapon or skill masteries, something like the Koda's Flame from Bitterfrost, but useable anywhere.

From anecdotal observation it seems that players really want new shinies so it makes a certain amount of sense for ArenaNet to create a lot of new shinies.

But I would like to see some new wvw development.

All just my personal opinion.

@"blp.3489" said:Do you expect "Dragon Response Missions" to be that much different from "Strike Missions"?

A bit yea considering they're 5 man to solo content so they're way less designed for team cooperation and either whatever like dungeons or solo builds like Queens Gauntlet. Just seems a strange direction to go when what players need isn't less coordinated content it's more levels of access to it and we already have fractals.

@"blp.3489" said:Do you expect "Dragon Response Missions" to be that much different from "Strike Missions"?

I think the recent Mount Stealth mastery was really cool, and the underwater skimmer mastery is nice. I really like masteries that aren't tied to a few maps, I hope we'll see more of them. I wouldn't call masteries dead quite yet. It would be really cool to see some weapon or skill masteries, something like the Koda's Flame from Bitterfrost, but useable anywhere.

From anecdotal observation it seems that players really want new shinies so it makes a certain amount of sense for ArenaNet to create a lot of new shinies.

But I would like to see some new wvw development.

All just my personal opinion.

One issue is sure Skimmer got that underwater update...BUT after 3 years. Why now? it should have been a priority back when they were first released. That kind of decision leads me to a lack of vision and management which of course is a leadership problem.

@"Atticus.7194" said:There might be something I'm missing but it seems hilariously wasteful to keep making and releasing modes and if they're not a FLAWLESS PERFECT SUCCESS right off the bat and abandoning them and moving onto create something else from scratch. Oh yea and of course this new content will of course be held to the same unrealistic standards and most likely abandoned too. I mean with the roadmap we know strikes aren't getting any new substantive content, masteries are abandoned, pvp isn't getting any, wvw isn't getting any and raids isn't getting any and dungeons are of course not getting any. We are however getting a random new mode that's dungeons 2.0 and bound to fail (it's essentially bite sized dungeons, come on) and I'm just wondering, isn't there a better way?

This game has good bones and ArenaNet can have great ideas so why waste so many development resources making something if you're not going to take the time to keep polishing it until it really works? I mean not trying to be negative but it doesn't even seem like ArenaNet learns from their mistakes they just ping pong to random new projects and hope they work out. Just disheartening when you see the content they have has the potential to be GREAT if they would just take the time and effort to finesse it into being really functional.

Take away, after 9 years it feels like core aspects are of this game are neglected as ever and have the same issues while ArenaNet is off chasing the next set of shiny keys dangling in front of them and its disheartening.

IMO its an overall lack of vision about what to do exactly with the IP and game service. They tried to do raids to attract that more hardcore audience but that wasn't the majority hence they figured they would "try" to get us to do them from motivational Strike Mission content which is kind of shaky logic and I think they realize this. They don't have a game director rn and I really think they would operate more optimally with one steering the ship. Leadership is everything in a business. Its also the number one reason employees quit or a business falters.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Because everyone burns through content within hours of release and then complains that there is nothing new to do.

Makes me wonder how little content there must be, if you can easily rush it in a few hour's.I mean, isn't it unusual to play an MMO a few hours every night?

No, but games vying for subscriptions and microtransaction purchases tend to pad out new content with obnoxious busywork before you can actually do any of it to trick the players into thinking they've "earned" or "accomplished" something when all they've done is waste your time.

I agree and that Arenanet needs to stop adding new game modes. Tbh dungeons/fractals, raids, pvp, wvw is enough game modes. The problem is they aren't watering the game modes and letting it die before they should be watered again.

Tbh strikes was a bad move. Everyone asked for raid difficulties. Since strikes are the "stepping stone" to raids. All they had to do was rework raids and add easy modes for them and add a hard mode. No need of adding a new portal to a new instance. No need of new instanced maps. Then they could've added a couple more new wings with something to look forward to. Like per say new raid legendary skins for pve. However strikes are already pretty much empty like raids. Maybe 1-2 strikes up in LFG in NA and that's it. Instead of adding this new 5 man content. Just add a new fractal, then say add legendary fractal armor, that you can get legendary armor through fractals now or, legendary infusions.instead now we assume were not going to get another fractal till sometime summer next year. Raids if ever, and WvW? lol yea right. And pvp, new few skills changes?

I honestly don't think that expansions should be an excuse for reason why content shouldn't be released with a quality manner. Since they named living world this so called "Saga" because it suppose to be giving "expansion like" content, then these episodes should be far better then satisfactory. But since season 4 these episodes have truly been lackluster, and no driven heart whelming episode hasn't been put into any episode since season 3. Repeatable content hasn't been challenging for veterans. There is no goal for new gamers to go after. Why would people do strikes if there is no new raids? Why would you want to see how raiding is if raids are dead? Why do fractals once a day besides because it gives gold? Why wvw with the same 4 maps after how many years, and no new ways to play it and no new rewards? Why pvp when no new maps or balancing?

Why does gw2 have the best mmo combat system but doesn't release more content to let the combat shine? Why is it that Arenanet caters to the people who press 1 button but not the people who actually play the game and invest the most time and money in?

One of the great things for arenanet is that they are creative and innovative. They have made content that changed the way other competitors do things in their games. They are groundbreaking. In order to do so, there is a lot more trial and error. Some things work great and some need adjusting. Strike missions is one of them and you are correct they have been struggling with the concept of Raids/strikemissions and the new DRM's.

More important I think it would be wise to stop thinking in gamemodes and formats. How different will DRM's be from dungeons?? we do not know, but some elements sound familiar. Just as Fractals is an extension to the dungeon format, this is also added to the list of things to do.

In GW1 there was also a difference in reception of different elite area's. Some where succesfull and some where not.

Adding new things/game modes rather than squeezing to the last drop the current ones, seems a good thing for me. It adds options. If you like a game mode you play it as long as you want, it won't be deleted. But what if you don't like strike missions and you have a full LW5 and 6 focused on those? I'd rather praise ArenaNet from trying to create something new, rather than just add farming on current modes. But that's just me, a casual player.

@"Atticus.7194" said:There might be something I'm missing but it seems hilariously wasteful to keep making and releasing modes and if they're not a FLAWLESS PERFECT SUCCESS right off the bat and abandoning them and moving onto create something else from scratch. Oh yea and of course this new content will of course be held to the same unrealistic standards and most likely abandoned too.reason to do that?I mean with the roadmap we know strikes aren't getting any new substantive contentwe already have enough strikes, what the point ask more? How I know most ppl who ask more strikes still not complete CW strike 50 times ..

masteries are abandonedI have enough. Don't see reason add more at this time.

pvp isn't getting anypvp is pvp. It not depend from "content". People is content, and this content is can't be "old".

raids isn'tmany people not already start it. And complite it, or once time. I am look from my side, and frined wiht 35k+ AP points. They do most boses once or only now some of them start raiding. For people who do "only raids" no point to make view, because any raid Wing will be obsolete after 8-16 weeks..

dungeons are of course not getting any.dungeons a conts good content for new players, for gold parties, and for legendary craters. So ask make it more wide is also not good idea.

We are however getting a random new mode that's dungeons 2.0who need it? we already have CM dungion, welcome on Orr. But ho we see people not see big fun dead and return to waypoint.

Take away, after 9 years it feels like core aspects are of this game are neglected as ever and have the same issues while ArenaNet is off chasing the next set of shiny keys dangling in front of them and its disheartening.I am play from start in GW2, play each day. Still not have many AP, still not craft all weapon legs, most raids competed only once, still not start legendary raid ring, still not have many pvp achievements, still not have many wvw achievements, still not have so much things .. And you say "to much old content" ? We talk about same game?

And if someone do only some specific content - should understand that make only that specific content actual very strange and casual idea.

@lare.5129 said:

@"Atticus.7194" said:There might be something I'm missing but it seems hilariously wasteful to keep making and releasing modes and if they're not a FLAWLESS PERFECT SUCCESS right off the bat and abandoning them and moving onto create something else from scratch. Oh yea and of course this new content will of course be held to the same unrealistic standards and most likely abandoned too.reason to do that?I assume it's because they have unrealistic expectations and don't really want to iterate.

I mean with the roadmap we know strikes aren't getting any new substantive contentwe already have enough strikes, what the point ask more? How I know most ppl who ask more strikes still not complete CW strike 50 times ..Uh we never have "enough" that's why raids, dungons ect and rewards are always being added into games, to keep them relevant.

masteries are abandonedI have enough. Don't see reason add more at this time.How about existing quality of life masteries something that isn't used for one episode and rendered obsolete?

pvp isn't getting anypvp is pvp. It not depend from "content". People is content, and this content is can't be "old".Uh w0t? Remember PvP tournaments, new maps, new modes, updates, major balance fixes all the things that it takes to make PvP viable and fun? Yea haven't gotten any of that in a while. Don't even get me started on WvW

raids isn'tmany people not already start it. And complite it, or once time. I am look from my side, and frined wiht 35k+ AP points. They do most boses once or only now some of them start raiding. For people who do "only raids" no point to make view, because any raid Wing will be obsolete after 8-16 weeks..

Ever think that's because people have been farming raids for over 2 years now without a new wing? And I think you're confused by obsolete, doing the same content for 2 years without an update or addition is getting close to obsolete, clearing content isn't going to make it "obsolete" in 2-3 months. Also by that reasoning why add anything at all it's all going to be "obsolete" after 8 to 16 weeks.

dungeons are of course not getting any.dungeons a conts good content for new players, for gold parties, and for legendary craters. So ask make it more wide is also not good idea.Dungeons are dead content my friend, the amount of players that run them is extremely low and they represent a substantial amount of development resources that have just been left behind instead of repurposed and made relevant.

We are however getting a random new mode that's dungeons 2.0who need it? we already have CM dungion, welcome on Orr. But ho we see people not see big fun dead and return to waypoint.

I honestly don't even know what you said so I'm not sure how to respond to this one, sorry.

Take away, after 9 years it feels like core aspects are of this game are neglected as ever and have the same issues while ArenaNet is off chasing the next set of shiny keys dangling in front of them and its disheartening.I am play from start in GW2, play each day. Still not have many AP, still not craft all weapon legs, most raids competed only once, still not start legendary raid ring, still not have many pvp achievements, still not have many wvw achievements, still not have so much things .. And you say "to much old content" ? We talk about same game?

That's YOU, you're clearly a completionist however I would guess most just want fun, accessible, relevant content that is going to inspire them to log in (raids, LS, fractals, pvp, wvw ect), not an obscure hunt for the last AP point (don't get me wrong if that's your thing more power to you). I'm glad you have things left you like to do but for many people we realize there are enough modes in the game, we don't need anymore, we need new content added to the existing ones, and the older content updated to make sure it's on par with the new content.

And if someone do only some specific content - should understand that make only that specific content actual very strange and casual idea.Uh wut again?

@"Atticus.7194" said:if you keep described that vision, like " just want fun, accessible, relevant content that is going to inspire them to log" wihtout last AP point - you need play not only one game, and switch between projects, because no one project solo will give you so much.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Because everyone burns through content within hours of release and then complains that there is nothing new to do.

Makes me wonder how little content there must be, if you can easily rush it in a few hour's.I mean, isn't it unusual to play an MMO a few hours every night?

It's generally very little. The bulk of the "content" is grindy achievements.

@lare.5129 said:

@"Atticus.7194" said:if you keep described that vision, like " just want fun, accessible, relevant content that is going to inspire them to log" wihtout last AP point - you need play not only one game, and switch between projects, because no one project solo will give you so much.

Wait are you implying that you need to complete everything in the entire game before you can ask for content updates? My guy, not everyone is a completionist like you, some people only enjoy certain parts of the game and it's not unreasonable to want updates for those regardless of your "AP" (why are you so fixated on this?)

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Wow what a crazy title lol. Most or all other MMORPG games make all early areas useless to experienced players. GW2 you can still get experience in those areas because you are downgraded to the area.

While helping people or doing random trains in low level maps can be fun I wouldn't say it's the really compelling content that keeps players logging in everyday.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

It's generally very little. The bulk of the "content" is grindy achievements.

Without those you wouldn't see nearly as many people in older maps or doing metas and game would truly be dead. An MMO is all about grind no matter how you look at it, the difference here is its optional except for the most basic functions.

I'm still vanquishing zones in a 15 year old game because there is a reason to, doesn't mean its not fun, surely I would not be doing it if there was no title or achievement reward. I have found many players along the way & also play GW2 with them now. Thats the whole point of an MMO . Chasing a carrot isn't inherently a bad thing, it only becomes an issue with vertical progression because by design you basically have no choice.

I get the meme of GW2 being a collectors paradise but imagine the game without all that crap it would be a barren wasteland lol. Even without collections , metas are still more content than any other MMO puts in their maps. So I'm curious what the alternative would be.. world sized maps with endless voice acted story would probably be pretty pricey for ANet I imagine.

No MMO could ever put enough endgame content in that lasts its playerbase more than a day or 2 without massively time gating like WoW does and thats a horrible alternative. ANet severely lacking on raids and dungeons though and pvp is deader than a door nail with still 1 ranked mode for 8 years (and pve complains?) , their management is horrible if not non-existent and make very odd decisions but I digress, open world couldn't possibly be better than it is.