Watch the trailer for The Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 1! — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World
<1

Comments

  • Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I was sceptical, but this trailer looks really good with a lot of stuff and interesting story beats. Now I'm pretty excited!

  • Looks like there is some exciting content coming in the future chapters. Looking forward to playing with the Tengu, and learning more about Primodius' plans.
    :+1::+1:

  • Adzekul.3104Adzekul.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    So ... now we know why our behemoth blue buddy felt (s)he needed to save the world. And I predicted the behemoth boulder buddy would make a showing, but I admit I was not expecting it to be so immediate.

    Good trailer. I especially like the "future" part of it. Granted, it makes the part about Chapter 1 quite short, but the teaser about the future is appreciated.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    Is there a new map in those screenshots? I couldn't quite tell, although I thought I spotted areas I didn't recognise

    Surely it's not just a bit of story and some invasions. That would be... disappointing

    And a truce with Jormag... really? I mean are we just ignoring the rest of the Saga now?

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No new map is really disappointing, specially since it's been so long since we got a new one. I was eager to explore new places.
    I'm not sure if the invasions we see here are instanced content or what. Could be like the memory episode with rytlok warband.
    I hope we get those maps updates with newer graphics and stuff on them, st least that would make them look nicer.
    Still I'm excited for this 🤩

  • Solanum.6983Solanum.6983 Member ✭✭✭

    I like that older maps are getting more content but I hope there's at least one more map for the chapter.
    What I wish if we are getting the story in older maps is that they finally get the visual upgrade they desperately need, It'd be great to have older players running trough an updated core Tyria with the newer players coming trough steam.

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Wonder if Zoija will be making an appearance, since it looks like we are in an Asura lab with Taimi in Rata Sum...

  • Elric.4713Elric.4713 Member ✭✭✭

    So invasion events + some weapon skins are Living World episode in 2020. What a kitten this saga turned out to be.

    And ofc their "non-binary" dragon ends up good.

    👻Legendary Ritualist Stance - Invoke the power of the legendary ritualist Master Togo.

  • Bast.7253Bast.7253 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yikes.

    More hyped about reading expansion details in a blog post than playing whatever this is. Are we supposed to be hyped about the "allied factions" joining us? Are they going to be anything more than extra vendors or npc's spawning in Eye of the North?

    Seeing some Thunderhead Peaks in there so I'm assuming that's the reason for the instancing, letting players without the seasons go into older maps without having the older living story maps.

    Curious how the monetization behind this saga will go after it's over. Are they just going to charge for the episodes with maps and open world content? I can't imagine anyone buying a bunch of solo/group invasion missions in core maps.

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Looks like Dwarves and Tengus will be future allies. One of these updates could give us the DoW.

  • firedragon.8953firedragon.8953 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    Oh is the fire dragon awake?! Guess it’s about time.

  • Donutdude.9582Donutdude.9582 Member ✭✭✭

    Primordus is coming! GET READY! MY BOY IS COMING TO WRECK YOU ALL!

    OMG yes I cannot wait. He's back <3

    My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

  • Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It looks like these invasions are instanced content for 1-5 players combined with like a wow reputation grind which you befriend different npc races and the higher the rep is they show up more often to help in this 1-5 instanced content at least that's my guess so no not like awakened invasions

    WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

  • Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    My first impression

    1) Re used weapon skin
    2) Re used maps (Fields of ruin with terrible textures)
    3) Tengu head feathers look a bit customized (if they become a playable race I will uninstall)
    4) Dwarves as allies ( if they become a playable race I will the buy the expansion)
    5) Dragon missions look like they will be instances with fake borders like story (fake borders are immersion breaking to me) I hope I'm wrong.
    6) Still no mention of new legendary weapons.
    7) The worlds invaded, Feels like a reskin of season 1. (They couldnt bring back S1, so reskinned it to S5) feels like dejavu...

  • @Vavume.8065 said:
    3) Tengu head feathers look a bit customized (if they become playable race I will uninstall)
    4) Dwarves as allies ( if they become playable I will the buy expansion)

    Hahaha wuttt.. why no tengu?

  • Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    The problem with invasion angles if they go in open world is that they date badly. I've never been a fan of mixing timelines in map areas.

    I agree, going back to fields of ruin is not an epic climax to the saga, it feels like going back to 2012 and 2012 textures, they need to add a new map during these champion chapters to finish strongly (I'm guessing they will)

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vavume.8065 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    The problem with invasion angles if they go in open world is that they date badly. I've never been a fan of mixing timelines in map areas.

    I agree, going back to field of ruin is not an epic climax to the saga, it feels like going back to 2012 and 2012 textures, they need to add a new map during these champion chapters to finish strongly (I'm guessing they will)

    Could be a new map next chapter and maybe one for chapter 4?

  • Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @Tyson.5160 said:

    Could be a new map next chapter and maybe one for chapter 4?

    I get the feeling it will be a single map.

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    Fairly barebones based on the trailer basically ow events on existing aps and some instanced content that isnt strikes or fractals or raids.

    Feels like the notion that these chapters would be a fourth of an episode might have been correct. (at least theres new tengu models)

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vavume.8065 said:

    @Tyson.5160 said:

    Could be a new map next chapter and maybe one for chapter 4?

    I get the feeling it will be a single map.

    It would be nice to fill in that hole in the Farshiverpeaks, where I suspect Braham had Jormag surrounded, just north of Bitterfrost.

  • Bast.7253Bast.7253 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Tyson.5160 said:

    @Vavume.8065 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    The problem with invasion angles if they go in open world is that they date badly. I've never been a fan of mixing timelines in map areas.

    I agree, going back to field of ruin is not an epic climax to the saga, it feels like going back to 2012 and 2012 textures, they need to add a new map during these champion chapters to finish strongly (I'm guessing they will)

    Could be a new map next chapter and maybe one for chapter 4?

    Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

    I really wouldn't count on a new map at this point. All the map artists have likely been moved over to the expansion and they have the old festival/current events team working on the last 4 releases.

  • Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I just hope their is a lot of fun and rewarding new things to do to keep me entertained.

  • See the news when i was in meta. I make a pause in the meta to watch the trailer :D
    Well my character can't wait to stop the invasion.

    My ancestror (gw 1) will be proud to fight him and stop him definitively.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.
    I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.
    Some look different though, curious.

    Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?
    Not all of us are up to date on the story.
    As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.
    If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.
    I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.
    Some look different though, curious.

    Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?
    Not all of us are up to date on the story.
    As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.
    If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

    VA for last 2 episodes comes on the same day as the new content

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    Is there a new map in those screenshots? I couldn't quite tell, although I thought I spotted areas I didn't recognise

    Surely it's not just a bit of story and some invasions. That would be... disappointing

    There isn't a new map, I recognised all of those areas (with the possible exception of the area Taimi is sitting in) if there was a new map they'd have said it. Yeah, looks like a bit of story and some repeatable wave defense invasions with a choice of NPCs to bring with you. So yeah, looks like it'll be disappointing.

    Another version of the Stormcaller weapons, so that's why they removed Stormcaller weapons as a requirement for crafting the Charged Stormcaller weapons. Super, even more Amalgamated Draconic Lodestones to grind out. I'm sure the Dragon Slayer weapons will be much the same. Grind, grind.

    From https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-17-2020/
    Join other players to train and equip the Order of the Crystal Bloom during the first global faction mobilization event. You’ll earn rewards for your efforts, and faction members can join your Dragon Response Missions to bolster your defenses and healing. Word is sure to spread, so be alert for other factions ready to join the cause.

    Hmmm... train and equip? How? Donate materials while a progress bar updates in the top Right of the screen like the Fractal Rush? Get to Tier 5 and unlock Ebon Vanguard?

    We'll see in a week but this is not exciting me. Probably because this Saga has been so heavy on the grind.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.
    I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.
    Some look different though, curious.

    Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?
    Not all of us are up to date on the story.
    As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.
    If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

    VA for last 2 episodes comes on the same day as the new content

    Shame it's not sooner if the patch is good to go already.
    Would at least give us a chance to catch up since we've two whole episodes of story, achievements, events, rewards etc to catch up on.
    Providing the content is even playable.. game is still having issues for many on newer content.

    I really hope the game doesn't act up when the patch drops, I fear it will but god I hope it doesn't.. I have so little patience left at this point xD

    Thanks for the heads up though, I was confused by the way they worded it on the post.
    Kinda sounded like it was already in the game but it isn't so it got confusing.

  • hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    YES Rata Sum BURN BUURRRRNNN!!!! Those poor rats were burnt alive underground, and now they gonna got burnt on the surface! Story repeat itself! :D
    I'm very excited regarding destroyer assaults, can't tell how long I wanted to see destroyer in asura maps. It reminds me the invasion of LS1 and so I'm very impatient.
    No doubt it is really easy to erupt lave from the golem mines of rata sum and makes destroyer coming out of all those caverns. Very curious about seeing their defense system. But if they just strikes back by only using mark I or mark II golems will be disapointed. WHERE THE INQUEST WITH THEIR EXTERMINATOR, CENTURIONS, PHALANX AND BALLISTAS MARKS WHEN WE NEED THEM??!! SEND DERV SQUADS!
    Good thing they reused that forgotten cool Gorr's lab to track the primordius minions! Anyway, if things gets hot, let's retreat to keto's lab at the lower floor.

    GONNA BE THERE FOR THAT VOLCANIC STORMCALLER WEAPONS! I swear it to the eternal alchemy. :o
    It is is time to bring back on the front all our allies put on shelves: Orders, Awakened, Olmakhans, Personnal story helped race, Dwarves, Tengus, Kodans, Crystal Blooms, Dredges of deldrimor, the 5 main races high representant and councilors; time to fight! :o
    But i hope, to see EVOLVED destroyers everywhere, not the same common models, that I saw since the launch in 2013.
    But no news from almorra's death, I'm very sad that such a good character was wasted.

    *Wink I was right, Ryland and Bangar gonna help us fighting those fire minions! ;)

    But i'm bothered. I hope Primordius kills Jormag and go away. Because Primordius deserves it's own season with asura underground city and more dwarves. And not to be rushed in 4 pour chapters!!!

    Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN/PRIMORDIUS EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

  • Nexxus.5347Nexxus.5347 Member ✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    ANET has a new shinny object to look at (Expansion 3) and they have left Living World Season 5 in the dust. This is just a rehash of old content. Portal opens. Enemies come out, Kill enemies, Portal closes. This is disappointing considering how excited I was about a dark and Lovecraft'ish story for the Saga. It started strong and now its fizzled out. You have forgotten about strike missions, visions, and maps. This looks like you planned story to coincide with the Steam release in order to get more current players into old maps to make them look more populated as new players came into the game from steam. Not wasting my time with the rest of this Living world, Ill see you in Expansion 3.... hope you make it epic! because only having 5 new maps wont cut it, lack of map wide META's on maps wont cut it, not having a new playable race wont cut it, the bar and expectations are high. I know you can do it. See you in a year.

  • Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @Tazer.2157 said:
    No indication of what happened to the vigil after Almorra's death

    Nothing. It would be like if the President was killed. It would be a big news story, but any even remotely large organization has a system to quickly replace leaders if they die. Jhavi took over as Commander of Jora's Keep, and temporary leader of the Vigil, since Laranthir, the normal second in command, is taking a leave of absence in the Grove.

    we have no idea what happened to the iron legion with Smodur's death

    Efrahm very temporarily took over leading the Iron Legion troops in Drizzlewood, until the end of the war. The Untied Legions sent people to find Mia Kindleshot to inform her she was the next Imperator.

    No conclusion to the Charr civil war

    We literally had a conclusion in the last episode. The United Legions marched on northern Drizzlewood, took down Bangar's forces, destroyed his Frost Citadel, and then captured Bangar himself. Its over. They spent the last few moths cleaning up stragglers, and we spent the time questioning Bangar.

    no shift in the balance of power in Ascalon or the legions

    Why would this happen? Neither Flame, Blood, Iron, or Ash, is going to try to trample on each other any time soon after they just fought Bangar to stop him from doing just that. That would just be them making the same mistake they just got done fighting.

    Also, are the Kodan okay up in Bjora's Marches?

    This was already covered back in episode 2. If you complete the meta achievement(meaning you solved pretty much all the problem up there) Dialog changes in the Kodan village talking about people coming back with their "voices" still intact, and generally things getting better.

    Also are the vigil, the order of whispers and the priory in the alliance?

    All three of them are part of the Pact, the main force fighting the dragons. So yes.

    All of this has been covered in the currently released episodes.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    I'm not overly impressed.
    I won't like to ally with Ryland, unless I get to backstab his frozen neck afterwards.

  • @Teratus.2859 said:
    Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.
    I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.
    Some look different though, curious.

    Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?
    Not all of us are up to date on the story.
    As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.
    If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

    On October 27, it was announced that the 2 Episodes lacking voice-overs would be released (again) on November 17th.

    The members of Guild Wars 2‘s intrepid voice cast are now able to provide recordings remotely, and we’ll update “No Quarter” and “Jormag Rising” with voice acting when The Icebrood Saga: Champions begins on November 17. These two episodes were impacted by COVID-19 health precautions, and we appreciate your understanding and support as we work to keep our staff and voice talent safe.

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/

  • @Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

    @Tazer.2157 said:
    No indication of what happened to the vigil after Almorra's death

    Nothing. It would be like if the President was killed. It would be a big news story, but any even remotely large organization has a system to quickly replace leaders if they die. Jhavi took over as Commander of Jora's Keep, and temporary leader of the Vigil, since Laranthir, the normal second in command, is taking a leave of absence in the Grove.

    Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hours
    since the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?

  • Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

    On the plus side, the trailer is well made and it's nice to have voice acting again.

    Well... This entire "saga" (minus prolog) has felt like minimum effort, so why am I even disappointed right now? I always thought LS1/2 was the lowest point of the story. And maybe it still is. However, in the meantime we all got to see how amazing Anet's storytelling can be and how creative the teams can get with the game's resources. I suppose that's the major difference now. In LS2 we had not seen that potential yet. Now we have. So it is more disappointing now to get just... that.
    What happened to Visions of the Past? Wasn't there supposed to be another one of those in between episodes?

    I really hope this trailer was either holding back a lot, or this chapter 1 is really just a sort of teaser for the finale and the rest gets more substantial. Btw, weapon skin collections are not really content.

    Still hoping for the best.

  • Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @HotDelirium.7984 said:
    Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hours
    since the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?

    In-game time passes in roughly the same length as real life time does. Jormag has even mentioned it been "months" since its awakening in one of the covnersations with Bangar as part of the "confer with Bangar" achievement.

  • Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Nice to see that Primordus will be involved in the story from now. Something that many predicted would happen at some point, but I'm interested to see exactly what kind of roles Primordus and Jormag will have in the story and how this will lead up to the story in the End of Dragons expansion and beyond.

  • Perihen the Thawk.9527Perihen the Thawk.9527 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @Bast.7253 said:
    Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

    Maybe the "future features" bit is going to release in between Chapters 1 and 2? They said the Chapters will become more fleshed out with new stuff in-between main releases.

  • @Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

    @HotDelirium.7984 said:
    Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hours
    since the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?

    In-game time passes in roughly the same length as real life time does. Jormag has even mentioned it been "months" since its awakening in one of the covnersations with Bangar as part of the "confer with Bangar" achievement.

    That is unfortunate because the lore is just WAITING to be addressed.... vigil? kodan? Laranthir? Taimi still dying? Pale Tree on the floor? Glint? Mist wardens? Charr?

    Ill take walls of text at this point...

  • @Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:

    @Bast.7253 said:
    Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

    Maybe the "future features" bit is going to release in between Chapters 1 and 2? They said the Chapters will become more fleshed out with new stuff in-between main releases.

    A defense mechanism as pessimism lightens the blow from disappointment and its usually a go-to for reactions, unfortunately. We shall see what becomes of this content!

  • Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020

    @HotDelirium.7984 said:
    That is unfortunate because the lore is just WAITING to be addressed.... vigil? kodan? Laranthir? Taimi still dying? Pale Tree on the floor? Glint? Mist wardens? Charr?

    What about most of this still needs addressing?

    • Jhavi has taken over leadership of the Vigil while Laranthir is on his leave in The Grove.
    • The death of Drakkar, and all the other stuff we do in Bjora, means the Kodan are no longer troubled.(we also see Kodan allies in the trailer so they are sending people to help us)
    • Taimi is still dying slowly.
    • We healed the Pale Tree shortly after HoT, which is what the "Knight of thorn" side story achievements were all about.
    • Glint and the Mist Wardens are still dead, and Jormag hasn't been attacking/eating the Mists, so they haven't had to do anything yet.
    • The Charr are exactly where they were last time we saw them.

    All of this stuff has been answered already.

  • It is a little disappointing there is no new map because that’s what we’re used to, but that doesn’t mean we won’t get a new map in chapter 2, 3, or 4. All 4 chapters are part of the same episode, Champions, so it could be these invasion missions are the first parts of what’s to come, and we have to figure out where we are heading for the final battle.

  • Tony.8659Tony.8659 Member ✭✭✭

    Reading the comments here, that's what I thought to when I saw the trailer. Wheres the new map? All I saw were older areas. I do like them but I was hoping for a new map to explore. Well I hope there will be lots of achiements I'm trying to get to 30K :D Need 1,350 more towards full Hellfire armor :)