Best way to upgrade a free account?

So i started playing Gw2 again after a long hiatus, but with the recent situation, my friend and i started to play GW2 just to stay in touch.He seems to enjoy it so far, and for the first time in years i'm having fun in GW2 again.I'm not going to comment on why i left or whatever, but suffice it to say, so far so good right now.

Now. He has a free account, and i have everything, both expansions and more stuff, doesn't matter.The point is, so far, the free account is not too restricting.But, should he want to upgrade his account at one point, what's the best way to do it?What even is possible to do to upgrade it?

What's the best bang for the buck?Thanks!

Your friend can purchase Path of Fire which includes Heart of Thorns. Make sure to purchase via ArenaNet, or one of the Authorized Retailers.It's $30 currently (basic edition), or he/she could wait for a sale.Keep in mind that previous Living World Episodes are extra, but can be purchased in-game via Gold-to-Gems.Expansions can not be purchased via Gems.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Your friend can purchase Path of Fire which includes Heart of Thorns. Make sure to purchase via ArenaNet, or one of the Authorized Retailers.It's $30 currently (basic edition), or he/she could wait for a sale.Keep in mind that previous Living World Episodes are extra, but can be purchased in-game via Gold-to-Gems.Expansions can not be purchased via Gems.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yeah, that does seem the best purchase.

I assume this removes all the restrictions on an account like limited trading post use and such, right?How about bag space? Cause right now he's limited to 3. That's ok for just playing story, but if we ever decide on something else later, that could be an issue.I bought him some 15 slot bags right now, but still...

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Your friend can purchase Path of Fire which includes Heart of Thorns. Make sure to purchase via ArenaNet, or one of the Authorized Retailers.It's $30 currently (basic edition), or he/she could wait for a sale.Keep in mind that previous Living World Episodes are extra, but can be purchased in-game via Gold-to-Gems.Expansions can not be purchased via Gems.

Good luck.

I assume this removes all the restrictions on an account like limited trading post use and such, right?How about bag space? Cause right now he's limited to 3. That's ok for just playing story, but if we ever decide on something else later, that could be an issue.I bought him some 15 slot bags right now, but still...

It do but some stuff are timegated like for example the trading post to avoid gold sellers upgrading and selling stuff off before the real owner of the credit card do a charge back.Also if your friend buy ultimate they get discount on the 4000 gems that take 72 hours to arrive but can boost the living world acquisition rate

@Linken.6345 said:

Good luck.

It do but some stuff are timegated like for example the trading post to avoid gold sellers upgrading and selling stuff off before the real owner of the credit card do a charge back.Also if your friend buy ultimate they get discount on the 4000 gems that take 72 hours to arrive but can boost the living world acquisition rate

So wait, he's still going to have a limited trading post if he buys the expansions? :confused:Or did you mean for a free account. Cause i know the reason for limiting the trading post for free users, that's ok, but it should unlock if he gets the expansions right?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Your friend can purchase Path of Fire which includes Heart of Thorns. Make sure to purchase via ArenaNet, or one of the Authorized Retailers.It's $30 currently (basic edition), or he/she could wait for a sale.Keep in mind that previous Living World Episodes are extra, but can be purchased in-game via Gold-to-Gems.Expansions can not be purchased via Gems.

Good luck.

So wait, he's still going to have a limited trading post if he buys the expansions? :confused:Or did you mean for a free account. Cause i know the reason for limiting the trading post for free users, that's ok, but it should unlock if he gets the expansions right?

Five dayThe trading post limits (ability to buy or sell certain items) is removed 5 days after purchasing an expansion.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Your friend can purchase Path of Fire which includes Heart of Thorns. Make sure to purchase via ArenaNet, or one of the Authorized Retailers.It's $30 currently (basic edition), or he/she could wait for a sale.Keep in mind that previous Living World Episodes are extra, but can be purchased in-game via Gold-to-Gems.Expansions can not be purchased via Gems.

Good luck.

Five dayThe trading post limits (ability to buy or sell certain items) is removed 5 days after purchasing an expansion.

Ah, i see! Yeah that makes sense, 5 days is fine as long as it unlocks at one point. Thanks!

So to summarize, best way to upgrade the account is to buy Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns.

Thank you!