Combo Fields

@Loosmaster.8263 said:In a perfect world, your own fields should have priority...

Yes, a priority system could work, but I think ideally you should just be able to use every kind of field you step on. Having up ten light fields from all the guardians in a zerg might be a bit much, but at the very least, if you have five light fields, two fire fields, and a darkness field under you, you should get one light effect, one fire effect, and one darkness effect, kind of like how vulnerability maxxes out at 25 stacks but getting 25 stacks of vulnerability on a boss won't stop you from applying stacks of burning or torment.

I'm sure the idea of combo fields and finishers looked great on paper and it works well in organized groups. But with the zerglike gameplay we see in WvW and PvE they should just either scrap the idea or make you only combo off of fields you yourself lay down. The system of fields and finishers sounds good but doesn't work in a MMO.

They definitely need to make them more useful somehow.

Fields and finishes are barely even used in WvW--it used to be very common, but they were slowly supplanted by other types of organised teamplay. In PvE, they still see limited use in Fractals and raids, but that's about it.

Most use of fields these days is for solo benefits, as part of your personal rotation, not for your party.

@lokh.2695 said:I'm sure the idea of combo fields and finishers looked great on paper and it works well in organized groups. But with the zerglike gameplay we see in WvW and PvE they should just either scrap the idea or make you only combo off of fields you yourself lay down. The system of fields and finishers sounds good but doesn't work in a MMO.

Just another casualty of the casual semi-afk zerg catering content that, oh boy, people can't get enough of.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:You can trigger more than one combo-field with a single blast-finisher. You need to practice a little with the aiming to find the exact overlap-border, but it is not that difficult. So technically OP is already sort-of correct. Sadly, not many people know or even use this. /shrug

I wasn't aware of that, but even if it's true there is usually no way you can see field overlaps (or anything else!) in group play in this game. The effects are simply blinding when you get more than a few players in a group. Boss animations, combo fields. It's all just a huge blinding ball of light in this game. Pretty dumb, but that's what we get.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:In a perfect world, your own fields should have priority...

I think that's really the only solution needed here. Of existing put down - your own fields are always at the top of the stack - most recent to last placed. Meaning you could overwrite your own on accident or on purpose - but not get accidentally messed up by a team member.

@Hannelore.8153 said:They definitely need to make them more useful somehow.

Fields and finishes are barely even used in WvW--it used to be very common, but they were slowly supplanted by other types of organised teamplay. In PvE, they still see limited use in Fractals and raids, but that's about it.

As a DPS Condition Revenant using my own combo fields is a core part of my rotation. Do it right versus fail to do it makes a heavy impact in my results.

But... yes, my gameplay is basically 'do the daily 3 random whatevers, then farm fractals.'

I can see why they'd be difficult in WvW where there are too many people all over the place. In PvW yes - it's often even useful if you see someone else's combo field that you don't recognize and didn't know what coming - to toss out a finisher and see what happens. In WvW, there are often so many people even my 2080 RTX GPU can fail to render the fields so... I have no idea if I'm hitting one or not.

I've had annoying issues with this exact thing as well.For years I just didn't bother trying to include combo's in my builds because of how easy it is for other players to screw them up.Outside of soloing stuff I still don't really use them that much, I don't even try when there is a blob of pure chaos on screen XD

Corruption Necro's have a similar issue as well since they're designed to self inflict conditions on themselves to boost their healing skill or their contidion damage by transferring them to enemies.Other players can really screw this up for you by blasting cleanses etc.

Honestly I think people give way too much credit to combo field. Relying on combo field to survive in open world with the example of the dark field won’t actually matter since there is no direct correlation between the combo field that you proc and the stats of your armor. Please correct me if I am wrong though.The only effective fields so far that feel important to the game are the fire field to gain might (mostly in the past), the light fields to remove conditions and the dark fields to apply blind and increase the duration stealth with thieves.

That said, it would be awesome if the combo fields were far more prevalent in instanced content. Other than that if they made the combo field far more prevalent everywhere, making them important towards the gear that you have for example, then you really shouldn’t be able to proc the fields from you allies imo.

Light fields are the absolute worst - partly because Guardians are so numerous, and they can pop them with just about every weapon set, thus overriding whatever other field is down; and partly because in 99.5% of PvE, all you want is damage, and hardly anything puts enough conditions on you to rely on a random light field cleanse.

In WvW, it's hardly much more useful, but comes with the joy of overriding desirable fields.

Side note: only just found out projectile finishers only affect allies they pass through after hitting the field. I assumed they did a small blast to those nearby, but nope. What's the point in that?

@LSD.4673 said:Light fields are the absolute worst - partly because Guardians are so numerous, and they can pop them with just about every weapon set, thus overriding whatever other field is down; and partly because in 99.5% of PvE, all you want is damage, and hardly anything puts enough conditions on you to rely on a random light field cleanse.

Guardians don't overwrite existing fields. The field that was put down first has priority for finishers. However, only 5 players can get the finishers and after that the next field will get prioritized.