Strikes aren't really that competitive reward-wise — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Fractals/Dungeons/Strike Missions/Raids

Strikes aren't really that competitive reward-wise

Title, basically. Once you understand the game, crafting ascended gear for fractals is pretty trivial if that's your focus, and that's really the only barrier to them, like it would take a few months, but then you'd be golden. LIke sure you have to grind a bit for the AR, but the gold is way better than strikes once you hit t3.

Raids are a bit strange: If you can reliably clear them fast, strikes are garbage. But even training constantly, it's not really that bad of a way to get ascended gear. It's not my recommended route, but I still think it might be more efficient than doing tons and tons of strikes if your squad can hurt the boss enough for the gaeting crystals/magnetite. You wouldn't get as much coin as strikes, but I still feel this might be more efficient depending on what you're doing on the side

I still do them because I think they're fun every now and then, but I just feel like they won't age well, even if raiding dies. I was hoping the drop rate for ascended chests from the weekly chest would be decent but I've done months worth of them and never seen an ascended gear box or a precursor, so even though they're potential drops, the rates are so low fractals are arguably better.

Completely unrelated but still a liability for strikes is the special mastery abilities that are basically required for breaking the bars fast enough. I'm already starting to see newer players who don't have all of icebrood unable to use them. So they may become unplayable depending on the churn in the player base. Not to mention not everyone likes maxing masteries.

Comments

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

Nothing compares to playing open world content if gearing and getting equipment is your metric.

At 30-50 gold per hour from dedicated open world farming, around half if you just half-kitten it, you are looking at around 10-20 hours for the 300 gold it takes to craft an entire ascended armor set. At 1-2 hours per day you are looking at 1-2 weeks of casual play to get geared IF focusing on acquiring gold.

The only content which comes close is fractals and only because the rewards are focused and well communicated (in form of daily fractals). It requires less opimization where to farm or where to go.

Most strikes are far below fractal difficulty, especially the easier ones. Strikes are also not daily gated.

That said, strikes are not that bad reward wise if factoring in their duration:
    https://fast.farming-community.eu/instances/strikes
    Also not factored into that reward is the ability to exchange Ice Shards for Season 4 materials, which in turn can be converted into Volatile Magic, which in turn can be converted into T5/6 crafting materials.

EDIT:
    Fully agree on the mastery gating especially in relation to rewards. Not sure this approach works as a benefit to this content. A rework might be desirable.

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

I think that their reward goal was to cater to the most casual of casuals getting ascended gear. And by that I mean people playing for a little every once-in-a-while.

If I'm one of those people, and my goal was berserker or viper gear, I would just play most of the times during the red or green week. Very slowly but surely, I would eventually get one of my characters fully geared-up in ascended gear without doing anything other than logging in, doing dailies and a couple of strike missions every now and then.
    I just need 1300 red shards and 47g 50s to have a full ascended armor set and 1000 green shards and 30g-60g to have 2 to 4 ascended weapons. Then I can finally be one of the cool kids in all pink gear.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    Nothing compares to playing open world content if gearing and getting equipment is your metric.

At 30-50 gold per hour from dedicated open world farming, around half if you just half-kitten it, you are looking at around 10-20 hours for the 300 gold it takes to craft an entire ascended armor set. At 1-2 hours per day you are looking at 1-2 weeks of casual play to get geared IF focusing on acquiring gold.

The only content which comes close is fractals and only because the rewards are focused and well communicated (in form of daily fractals). It requires less opimization where to farm or where to go.

Most strikes are far below fractal difficulty, especially the easier ones. Strikes are also not daily gated.

That said, strikes are not that bad reward wise if factoring in their duration:
    https://fast.farming-community.eu/instances/strikes
    Also not factored into that reward is the ability to exchange Ice Shards for Season 4 materials, which in turn can be converted into Volatile Magic, which in turn can be converted into T5/6 crafting materials.

EDIT:
    Fully agree on the mastery gating especially in relation to rewards. Not sure this approach works as a benefit to this content. A rework might be desirable.

What exactly gives 30-50 g/h and how? I've heard this, but I don't think my actual numbers are that high and I know how to convert VM/UM into gold. (also I have like 254% base MF).

• Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020

@borgs.6103 said:
    I think that their reward goal was to cater to the most casual of casuals getting ascended gear. And by that I mean people playing for a little every once-in-a-while.

If I'm one of those people, and my goal was berserker or viper gear, I would just play most of the times during the red or green week. Very slowly but surely, I would eventually get one of my characters fully geared-up in ascended gear without doing anything other than logging in, doing dailies and a couple of strike missions every now and then.
    I just need 1300 red shards and 47g 50s to have a full ascended armor set and 1000 green shards and 30g-60g to have 2 to 4 ascended weapons. Then I can finally be one of the cool kids in all pink gear.

I'll admit this is probably true. It's low-effort and doesn't require crafting whereas fractals often do because they'll give ascended mats in addition to the boxes and the gold is the huge leg-up, allowing you to quickly craft. I just don't really feel incentivized to do strikes.

• Ooops.8694Ooops.8694 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2020

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    Strikes are also not daily gated.

That's basically the whole point when comparing Strikes to Raids or Fractals.

Fine you can clear raids once a week for some rewards... and after those 3-4 hours/week (probably much less if you're not pugging^^) you can't even use food/stuff or you are paying instead of earning something.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

They're fine. For everyone that doesn't have 9+ sets of legendary armor they provide an alternate source of stat select ascended armor/weapons. That is generally more beneficial for trailblazer / minstrel.

• @Firebeard.1746 said:
    What exactly gives 30-50 g/h and how?

General Open World Benchmarks
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOBKHgaPbmc1uMAqupeta824hQzjhiaXBWhPXjORAZs/edit#gid=1982020967

tl;dr

• Non-festival earnings are currently 20-25g for most people (who effectively process everything earned, except spirit shards)
    • Mileage varies with the markets and new maps
    • Festival earnings can be greater. (the owner of the site usually includes that information during the festival; iirc, for this past halloween, it was 30g/hour)

I'm not aware of any open world content that has reliably yielded >= 40g/hour in years. Then again, I'm not an avid farmer, so I might have missed something.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• @borgs.6103 said:

play during blue week too then swap stats in mystic bin ;)

• The different colour shards is annoying, I don't see the point. It just strings out the process for no real reason. I like the strikes though, more fun than 5fps farming.

• swap stats in mystic bin ;)

...which you'll have to do anyway if you want 4-stat weapons. (they're not available from strikes)