Why ppl say GW2 is dead? :| - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Why ppl say GW2 is dead? :|

Comments

• An MMO is much like a human.
    The moment it is born, it is dying.

People are just trying to be cool by pointing out the obvious.

Some lives are more fulfilling than others, however.
    And "dying" is not "dead". I think Guild Wars 2 has a wonderful and lively energy to it.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020

People say Gw2 is dead for a verity of reasons, mostly nostalgia.

A ) They cannot find people to run the activities they want/need when they need them. This would be a common complaint among people who don't play during peak hours, and presumably among people who will lurk in the lfg tab without actually posting a lfg.

B ) Content updates are very "living world" focused and predictable.

C ) A lack of PvP / WvW updates or interest, which have caused those communities to either move on or play casually.

D ) Linking to point A, they don't see anyone in open world anymore. Towns feel emptier, what with all the foot traffic lost to popular lounges like mistlock sanctuary, and it can feel rare to have encounters with other players in open world.

E ) They buy into "the sky is falling" hype, and base their negative mentality on guesswork and rumors - of which there are many, because it's not easy to find out what's going on inside Anet. There was even a rumor floating about that "War Eternal" (the last episode of Season 4) was supposed to be the end of gw2 development.

• Smoosh.2718Smoosh.2718 Member ✭✭✭

The one thing i honestly love seeing is people complaining at 4-5am about queue times for PvP. Makes me laugh so much, people surprisingly sleep. Sadly, these are the kind of people that would spout the rubbish of 'dead game'

• As long as you like and enjoy the game, that's all that counts. And not having to pay a monthly subscription fee is a major incentive for me. Additionally, after achieving 100% World Completion, trying to complete as many of the other endless achievements as possible is challenging and satisfying.

• I don't feel that it is, in fact, I've been gone a good long while and well a group of us are coming back to GW2. I am a GW1 player actually. I know that I have an extreme amount of "catch up" to do now, since the last time I played was before mounts.....but I'm excited about coming back and so are the others in my group of friends "hey I miss GW2, lets go back and have some fun!!" Its downloaded all the information since I left and I'm excited about getting started again!!! Great thing about it is that you can do that, stay away for a bit, then come back when ever you feel like it. No sub, maybe some expac's but that is the beauty in it for me....its always there to come back and have a blast in for as long as you want. I do not think its dying at all...:)

• this game will not die bcs it is unique unlike other mmorpgs ...

• Black Storm.6974Black Storm.6974 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020

@LilSpark.4567 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    U asked if a game is dying in its forum? A game is never dying if u ask in its forum, even if it's only got 25% of its playerbase left those 25% will inform u how much the game isnt dying. Not saying it is or isnt just saying what happens when u ask in a games forum.

Is it true but where else to ask? I mean, I thought that if I ask on the game forum, people answer honestly and tell the truth. I also read those lies from mmopopulation that it has 600k + daily pick players ... I thought that here I will find out the truth to say so.

That Forum is the best place where to ask for the information you needed. Asking outside of the Forum would mostly lead to receiving answers from people that have left the game, or that don’t really know the state of the game. Here you can receive a lot of answers, including answers from a lot of people that are really experiencing the game they talk about. Then, you can try to come to personal conclusions.

Guild Wars 2 always had a lot of people saying that it was dying or even dead, since 2012.

You have yet to experience an incredible amount of highly repeatable content. More is coming.

Anyway, in my Guild none ever tell to a new player the lie that the game is dying. If the people you play with tell you that, change people. Those people will make you feel bad about the way you spend your time, and only for their feelings that are not really related to the state of the game. You could find a group where you can really enjoy the game and the time you pass playing it.

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

Dead?
    Nah, far from that. An online game is only literally dead if it goes offline. Figuratively dead if it goes on to maintenance mode.

Dying?
    Well... it depends on how you define dying.
    You could say it's dying:

• When it has reached its peak in popularity and everything's all downhill from there.
    • When the concurrent online users have a downward trend.
    • When there are less players coming back to check out the newest content than the previous one.

Those reasons are all subjective, of course. As long as you have a reason to play, do so until that reason is not there anymore. And if the reason's gone and you still have hopes that one day, a reason would come back, then you do you. After all, a coma patient can one day wake up as long as they're alive, a broken clock is still correct twice a day, and prisoner can still smile while incarcerated.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Oh my god, how many people answered me! Thank you all. Now I understand from most of you why people say the game is dead. From everything I understand and what I saw from the road map the game has at least 5 years to live (5 years I say for haters who misinform new players) . I was scared that he was dying and I thought that in 2 years I will not be able to play it because it will close, even if an expansion comes out next year. It's really my kind of MMO .. when I was little I watched my cousin play (he bought it since it appeared in 2012) and since then I liked it .. but I was too young to be able to buy it, I and forgot about it over time, until now when I bought my expansion directly. I calmed down now. Thank you all for the answers!

• battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭✭

@numb ER.5243 said:
    this game will not die bcs it is unique unlike other mmorpgs ...

there are good ways to special, and there are bad ways. and they need money and players, just like all the others do.

• battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LilSpark.4567 said:
    Oh my god, how many people answered me! Thank you all. Now I understand from most of you why people say the game is dead. From everything I understand and what I saw from the road map the game has at least 5 years to live (5 years I say for haters who misinform new players) . I was scared that he was dying and I thought that in 2 years I will not be able to play it because it will close, even if an expansion comes out next year. It's really my kind of MMO .. when I was little I watched my cousin play (he bought it since it appeared in 2012) and since then I liked it .. but I was too young to be able to buy it, I and forgot about it over time, until now when I bought my expansion directly. I calmed down now. Thank you all for the answers!

according to the 1st roadmap, there werent gonna be any expansions EVER
    the 2nd intoduced fractals as end game content, mostly scrapped now.
    the 3rd was about raids, scrapped now.
    the 4th is about strikes. roadmaps dont mean much, if you dont have the resources to follow them through.
    they are clearly working on something else. the content doesnt match the big workforce they have.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020

@battledrone.8315 said:

@LilSpark.4567 said:
    Oh my god, how many people answered me! Thank you all. Now I understand from most of you why people say the game is dead. From everything I understand and what I saw from the road map the game has at least 5 years to live (5 years I say for haters who misinform new players) . I was scared that he was dying and I thought that in 2 years I will not be able to play it because it will close, even if an expansion comes out next year. It's really my kind of MMO .. when I was little I watched my cousin play (he bought it since it appeared in 2012) and since then I liked it .. but I was too young to be able to buy it, I and forgot about it over time, until now when I bought my expansion directly. I calmed down now. Thank you all for the answers!

according to the 1st roadmap, there werent gonna be any expansions EVER
    the 2nd intoduced fractals as end game content, mostly scrapped now.
    the 3rd was about raids, scrapped now.
    the 4th is about strikes. roadmaps dont mean much, if you dont have the resources to follow them through.
    they are clearly working on something else. the content doesnt match the big workforce they have.

I'm pretty sure the 143 layoffs a year ago were probably because they were working on something, but those plans didn't pan out.

But that's just conjecture, I think.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

Some people are just unhappy about the state of the current game and the direction it is going.
    Those I find are the ones who say the game is dead/dying.

Most of us disagree and don't feel the same way.

• I don't know if calling it "dead" is totally accurate. One may argue that (according to the current situation in the world), the game 'should' have much higher playerbase since people have been staying at home more frequently, however, this does not necessarily mean they would devote all this time entirely to GW2. I have been in the game for the last 3 weeks after around 1+ year of being off, and I have to say, I have noticed differences in events which used to be occupied regularly. For instance Auric basin, one of my favourite meta events in the game, is in a really poor condition nowadays cause I can barely find a sufficient group in logical hours (the time when majority of people would be at home from work). This varies largely, because last Friday the map was full at 9 p.m, this week totally empty. There might be a little form of "extinction" within the game's population currently, but the upcoming expansion is expected to bring back a lot of burnt out players or those who play very casually.

Anyway, I still think the game is in a really good spot at the moment and far from going dead. Maybe it is just my point of view cause I solo-ed most of the maps, have like 2 people in my friends list and never had a guild which makes me look like a total d.o.u.ch.e since this game is community-driven and designed to be teamwork-friendly :D So, I am kinda used to get roughed up by the game most of the time, but I have enjoyed every bit of it so far ;) So, do not worry about others' impressions of this game, the most important is whether YOU yourself enjoy it. Being in the game for 10 days sounds like a far too quick period to make early conclusions. Just let it flow, let the game drag you in and then you will see whether your friends were right or not ;)

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020

@LilSpark.4567 said:
    Hello guys, i have a questions, i am new in the game, i play this game from 10 days and i play this game with the dlcs and my friends and other ppl tell me i waste time to play gw2

Gaming is a waste of time, but a nice one ;)

• For sure there are more meaningful things to do
    • For sure there are worser things to do

bcs is a dead game. Is that true?

What do you want?

• play a few hundred hours till the money is amortuated? Very likely works
    • Play a few thousand hours? There is a development planning for a few years.
    • Can you play it forever? Maybe even GW1is still running ;)

Maybe a lot of former WoW say it's dead, because after a few weeks you reached everything you need to play everything (but there are still countless hours to explore.) Something they aren't familar with :)

• @LilSpark.4567 said:
    Hello guys, i have a questions, i am new in the game, i play this game from 10 days and i play this game with the dlcs and my friends and other ppl tell me i waste time to play gw2 bcs is a dead game. Is that true?

I'll just leave you with something I said somewhere else:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    "game is dying" is (or should be) a generic meme in all MMORPG forums, even to the extent of things like

• Game released today: "Game is dying."
    • Game released yesterday: "Game is dying."
    • Game just released a new expansion, all the servers are jam-packed with players: "Game is dying."
    • Game will release in two weeks: "Game is dead."

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it's also important to differentiate the content. Pve still pretty populated, pvp definitely in dying In literally every sense of the word.

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Smoosh.2718 said:
    When people say this I wish I could slap them accross the face IRL with a big salty slimey whole tuna fish that has been left out to rot for 4 months, why?

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• Apolo.5942Apolo.5942 Member ✭✭✭

You need only look at the fractals lfg tab, if you see 4 at the same time its a busy day...

Conditions need to be normalized:
    1- SINGLE PLAYER conditions stack on DURATION.
    2- MULTIPLE PLAYERS conditions stack on INTENSITY.
    3- REBALANCE condition duration, damage and application.

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's certainly not "dead", and depending on what you enjoy in a MMO Game it's still a fantastic game to get into with loads of content to experience.

Where the accusation of dead game comes from, and imo validly so, is once you've been there and done that in terms of incredibly easy and often bland single player and story content and actually want to play an MMO and really get and stay engaged with the game and communities.

It doesn't really matter whether you enjoy small scale PvP, large scale PvP, casual instanced PvE, hardcore instanced PvE, small friend group content (casual or hc), large guild group content (c/h), etc. it's a sad matter of fact that pretty much all of that is dead and abandoned content at this point, with only a few people/communities in those remaining on life support due to lack of new content, in favour of ~2h worth of single player story patches and play alone together OW content every couple months.

Now if you are new and somehow can still find groups regularly for that content, it being all "dead" ofc doesn't matter as much as it's a huge amount for newer players to catch up on still, but once you get bored of the same few Dungeons, Raids, Fractals, Guild Halls, Guild Missions, Strikes, WvW gameloop, PvP maps and meta, and on, there is just nothing in sight to ever rectify that at this point.

If you enjoy eternally walking around mostly alone (and even if not, never actually engaging with anyone) in a tutorial like OW oneshotting mobs, the game has you covered though.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• Kelly.7019Kelly.7019 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

the games not dead- there's an xpac coming out! It's jsut that , that info has been a little over due in some peoples minds and they are tired of waiting and wander off to go play other games which makes it seem like the game is dying. If they don't come back then it sure might be..

I mean i haven't played hardcore that much this year. I wandered off to ESO and love it, but its really a sub game which i dislike, but am willing to fork over my money to them to make things a lil easier storage wise :(. I better not say that or someone will get ideas. Still i love the rollerbeetle and scribbing and that's what is really keeping me coming back to gw2 though this game isn't at all investing in those things.

• Guild wars 2 is not dead and will not dead for years. People see it as a old game and Game does not justify it by not marketing enough as other MMOs. Guild wars 2 shines differently than other games. You need to play it to understand the game. The problem lies in the experience of the free 2 play model.

• People say it's dead because I haven't played for a week or so.
    You miss me, admit it.

Ask a child a question and you'll get a childish answer.

• "Why ppl say GW2 is dead? :|"
    Answer: Because the dead live longer.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Teratus.2859 said:
    Some people are just unhappy about the state of the current game and the direction it is going.

I disagree with the misguided direction the game is going, but never have I considered that the game is dying or dead.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

people always says stuff like that just because they're either disappointed with the game, or afraid to spend time and resources in a game that might not be doing well enough for them.
    the thing is GW2 is one of the top MMOs, and among the most played ones. Devs keep on adding content often and consistently, so it's very much not dead, for MMO standards.

• @coso.9173 said:
    people always says stuff like that just because they're either disappointed with the game, or afraid to spend time and resouorces in a game that might not be doing good enough for them.
    thing is GW2 is one of the top MMOs, and among the most played one. Devs keep on adding content often and consistently, so it's very much not dead, for MMO standards.

Ye... in my opinion this game is a great MMO. Nowadays you can't find good MMOs.. only mmos p2w

• I have been seeing people claiming that the game is dying since at least 2014, especially in WvW. People seem to like saying that because they are either mad or frustrated with the game or because they just need to be dramatic to get attention. Its the nature of every game that players will come and go, with fewer numbers trying out the game as it ages but GW2 still has a very strong player base and I see no signs of that changing any time in the future. Are there fewer players now than at launch? Of course there are but that does not mean the game is dead or dying.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

Let's sort some things out. Frist semantics: dying and dead became more of a term of a constantly declining popularity/population which is true. Also a lot of friends I know quit playing the game, but of course there are new players coming. Then there are some other issues: the MMO genre is on the decline since the peak times of 2008-2010. The MOBAs came and now Battle Royale. Just trends, they come and go.

Then there is the personal perspective or perception: I don't play it anymore or rarely, hence I feel the game does not well. Then there are some facts: the presence in the internet and general popularity declining ("this game is still online?"). And of course the facts about money and income of reports. Nonetheless MMOs usually have a very long lifespan and many studios keep their game up for as long as possible - even with a small playerbase.

I think - even if the game and the genre in the whole - won't be back in the days anymore, this game will surely get some player influx caused by steam and the new expansion. So pretty sure you'll be safe for the next couple of years if not even longer.

• Lottie.5370Lottie.5370 Member ✭✭✭

I've always gotten annoyed at people saying "dead game" because when you go around the maps, you'll see a lot of people, you'll see full maps, people active and chatting. The game certainly isn't dead, but I have noticed a decrease in players for sure.

Recently I'm mostly spending my time doing raids and t4 fractals/cms, and I noticed that whilst Halloween was active... it was so hard to fill an LFG that would normally have taken 5-10 minues. It didn't matter what time of day it was, sometimes I was leaving them up for 30-45 minutes before giving up (this is mostly for raids, it was usually possible to always find a fractal group, it just took longer than usual). Now since the festival ended it has gotten a lot better again, but it still feels like there's less and less people each week.

I notice it a lot with my friends and guildies, they're usually very active around new story releases, playing every part of the game again... and a couple of weeks later they start logging in 1-2 days a week again rather than every day, and seem way less motivated to do anything because they feel like the game is out of fresh content and the releases have been disappointing, and the "promised features" either aren't being delivered or talked about, or seem way too far off.

Personally I still love the game and I'm gonna keep logging in every day, it's just sad and frustrating that it takes so long to find groups for content sometimes, and I haven't been enjoying the story releases as much as I used to, and it sucks having friends burn out.

• Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

Its far from dead as a whole, but some maps and activities are. Your best bet is to finish that content when it is relevant before it dies down or you will have a heck of a time on certain achievements and such. Its a problem but its still possible to complete old masteries and achievements, its just not nearly as easy as it was when those maps were relevant and would definitely give you the sense of dead game if you don't understand whats going on. This game basically funnels its players to the newest meta farm map and once that map is outdated it loses like 90% of its population. Some old map metas are still relevant, but everything outside of that event will most likely be dead.

NA server
    Fix hide party/squad nameplates
    Add particle effect slider/ability to turn friendly player effects off
    GW1 pvp rolling in its grave

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭

If you want dead, go walk in the Qeynos newbie grounds in Everquest. I actually log into Everquest from time to time, in that particular zone and listen to the very sad music that starts to play when you come near a stone marker. A zone dead for 15+ years, the memories, that music, it's like a requiem. Lovely.

Nothing wrong with a dead MMO, as long as you have the memories(and are a sentimental fool). Actually GW2 does a way too good job of luring players into cities and zones that have been around for all 8 years. How will I ever be melancholic in Tyria!?

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is dead because when someone says something on the internet, it must be true. Joke aside, you should ask your friends why they believe the game is dead. As a whole the game is populated and active, but there are parts that are dead. Some are "officially" dead, like Raids, while others simply have no team working on them, like Guild Missions, bounties and legendary weapons. Fractals were considered "dead" for 2 years but they were revived recently.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭

I still see a lot of players online. Might be because some events/collections take you to lower level maps. But then again: There are a few new players there as well.

Also as someone explained before (page 1 of the thread): People rushing the content are a problem. They quickly complain because they see GW2 as a single player game immediately rushing released stuff and constantly crying for new "DLC". :D (Instead of just playing other games as well.)

• imo, it's because the TP is getting more content than the actual game

• Yes guys, I realized why some people say the game is dead or dying. Because of the frustrations that developers don't make the game exactly the way they want. You thank people the hardest. They will never be satisfied. I also saw the Road Map and it sounds promising and will not die in the next 10 years. I guarantee for Guild Wars 2 that it will not die in the next 10 years because the Developers are still dealing with the game and only very weak MMOs appear on the market .. what is currently playing is GW2, WoW, BDO and ESO .. nothing else is better if we think about it.

• JusticeRetroHunter.7684JusticeRetroHunter.7684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@LilSpark.4567 said:
    only very weak MMOs appear on the market .. what is currently playing is GW2, WoW, BDO and ESO .. nothing else is better if we think about it.

That's the reason many people are still playing this game. Because everything else out there is just as bad if not worse than gw2. Wow has maybe 10x the amount of population than gw2 currently, but WoW imo is worse than gw in many way. It was at it's peak during WoTLK which i was lucky to be playing it at that time.

Personally, I'm biding my time until Cyberpunk and waiting for a good MMO to surface....who knows when that will be. But I'm not sticking around gw2 much longer that's for sure.

Again just my opinion.

• @LilSpark.4567 said:
    I also saw the Road Map and it sounds promising and will not die in the next 10 years.

WildStar had a roadmap too. Tabula Rasa had two years before getting taken behind the shed and shot with its designer unlawfully terminated. City of Heroes was shut down right after a big content patch while it was still very much profitable. Good times. What I'm saying is, you may trust Arenanet but never trust NCSoft. The executives there would pull the plug on their own mother's life support for a sufficient sum of money. Don't think of what may or may not be here tomorrow. Just strap in and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dragons of primordial magic from Tyria.

• Well, I can only speak about my own experience, but I have had the game since launch and have about 80+ people on my friends list. Nowadays, I generally only see 3-4 of them online when I login for the daily. So most are inactive now & moved on to other games and life.

Granted, most on the list are from the days I was active in WvW, so maybe things are better if you’re a PvE player. And I’m sure new players replace a portion of those who leave, though Anet year-over-year revenue has often been declining since HoT.

But you can still probably have a good time in the game. It’s a ton of content for the B2P cost, and I would bet many of the people who no longer play still feel they got good value out of their GW2 experience. Mega-servers makes it so that you can still run into people in the open world, even though the player base isn’t what it once was.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

I disagree with the misguided direction the game is going, but never have I considered that the game is dying or dead.

I think the vocal minority push this idea more then most the casuals that are still playing this wonderful game blissfully unware.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@Kelly.7019 said:

@Blude.6812 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

I think the vocal minority push this idea more then most the casuals that are still playing this wonderful game blissfully unware.

"that are still playing".

Although if you were to actually ask those casuals, you might find that they may have just a tiny bit more complains than you think.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

edited November 18, 2020

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kelly.7019 said:

@Blude.6812 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

"that are still playing".

Although if you were to actually ask those casuals, you might find that they may have just a tiny bit more complains than you think.

Yes! People are still playing because they enjoy the game and all that it has to offer. So they have no need to come and complain on the forums.
    Especially if you are new to the game and are hearing "this games dead" makes No sense what so ever because there is tons of stuff to do! Even when i joined the November after launch it felt like there was lots of stuff (no where as near as much stuff now). I mean for the longest time i didn't know the forums existed. I was one of those blissfully unware, satisfied players. (but ya know things change.) :D And when i saw the forums for the first time and what people were saying it was a 180 from my own experiences. I often find though that in most of my gaming communities I've been apart of it is the age of the player and & their life situations that make people leave the game not necessarily just the games content. Still though the hardcore are still here in my guild whether they really love the game or not. I think it has become more about the community then just the game itself.

• @Zereqiel.8249 said:
    this game is not dead. just google or youtube mmorpgs with high population and you will always see gw2 in that list. people who say this game is dead are the ones who are dying if not liferally then in some other aspect of their lives. sad people.

you may also go to a map with an active meta and enjoy the lagfest. make friends, join a guild whose activities and interests align with yours (farming or wvw) and youre golden.

Thanks for advice bro!

• Game died when we killed Trehearne because he was our last hope and best leader ever. We all miss him so much we turn to saying the game is dead.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020

I say gw2 is dead or dying because the pvp population is way lower than previously and the pve content quality and frequency of patches/changes/balance over last 2 yrs feels like their being produced by a team quarter the size of other mmo's. Pve areas are still very populated, atleast few months back when I logged in. For a new player there's a incredible amount of content to experience and explore.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

Mmorpgs and Mobas are always dying according to their forums. It's a tough life being a multiplayer game.

• Gw2 isn't dead.
    Gw1 isn't dead.
    City of hero's...is dead.