how would you feel about a pvp/ wvw only expansion?

assuming it comes after cantha, that cantha xpac doesn't have wvw alliances (zomg how dare you doubt you heathen), it costs less (20$?), they revamp all the weak stuff and add the missing skills (necro elite well, teef preparation heal etc. and maybe some new core weapons), and blah blah what have you. no not another elite spec since cantha will have one. gvg support for wvw and actual multiple working modes for pvp (one can pray).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Wvw/Pvp-only Players: Oh hell YES(Buuuuutttttt, but but but ... boout)All PVE-Player: Oh hell NO

Do you wanna find out that way which side is more represented in the forum?Or as a social experiment who spread more salt over this question?

I would feel happy because I would have more money available because I would not buy the expansion. And the two people left I know, who are still actively playing PVP and have not yet quit, i would check out daily if they feel it now.

Expansion, no.

I would not be against the Living World Season after Cantha focusing on WvW (and I guess PvP, although I personally find arena PvP boring).Instead of new PvE maps, new WvW maps (under water, etc.) and game modes (jumping puzzle keeps, player customization of terrain (using a decorations like system and WvW mastery points)) , etc. As of now WvW is just a few roamers, pip collectors, and mostly half-mindless blobs that know the maps and terrain exploits like the back of their hands. WvW needs some map designs that make the "blob" less viable that it is now.

I don't think balancing skills in PvP/WvW should need an expansion or DLC. ArenaNet should be constantly doing this, so that a certain "meta" doesn't last months, years, whatever. Not every class needs to be balanced all the time, but switching it up and pissing off the happy people and making happy the pissed off people every month or two would keep things fresh, and if it was consistent, people would be kinda ok with being drawn an unlucky hand for a patch since they know it won't be "forever".

But yeah, I think the majority of GW2 players are not PvPers or WvWers anymore, so there would have to be enough Cantha content to keep the majority of people happy during the next year while GW2 focuses on their PvP modes.

I like that new vision, because it can be recreate that time then on pvp character have different skills than on pve .. IT will be fun for 2 weeks.But we already have different coefficients, and that make already pvp skill different.

add the missing skills (necro elite well, teef preparation heal etc. and maybe some new core weapons)it not missed. It hidden on another class and anther build.

gvg supportI don't like how look gvg now, and do something to improve or support them is not good idea for me. They a cheaters who cut some "gameprocesss" and take one card from all deck.

Unless it's literally just adding new skills and weapons (effectively just elite specs and nothing else) I can't see how a WvW expansion would work. WvW is designed to need big groups on each server (not necessarily going at each other directly, but you need lots of players around for it to function) so you can't have expansion-exclusive maps and any exclusive mechanics need to be relatively minor, not the kind of things which would justify a paid expansion. That's why they've already said Alliances will be a base-game update, because it wouldn't make any sense to have 1 system for people who had paid for it and another for people who didn't.

Even the warclaw and gliding don't make a huge difference. It's more convinient but it's not like you can't play with people who have them if you don't. Although it wouldn't surprise me if that's part of why they bundled HoT and PoF together and made that the only paid version of the game - so apart from people who bought the game earlier and never upgraded you've only got two kinds of players - free players and ones who have access to everything.

I'm not against the idea of paying for more stuff in WvW (and I'd love to see more maps available), but I think it would be an extremely difficult concept to get right and risks doing far more harm than good.

I've barely played PvP and when I did it was years ago so I can't comment on that.

WvW doesn’t need new maps. Maps aren’t the content.

WvW can change with each encounter, each interaction.

What WvW needs is:

• Some attention
  • Frequent tweaks on balance
  • Population controls, special events
  • Incentives to have the interactions/fights
  • Ways to train and develop new commanders that the game supports

The rest is noise.

I don't think it's possible to lock stuff like that behind an expansion, I don't see how you could have people playing two different versions of the same game mode?

Balance changes should be stuff they do on a regular bases, Sadly Anet just doesn't think it's worth their time. I'm not going to pay extra just to get access to something they should already be doing.

I'd like that just because i want some more love for WvW players.But i honestly don't know how that would work, how would you get expansion and non expansion people on one battlefield?Would you divide them?Would the non expansion people be crippled by not having the expansion stuff?If so that's pay to win, and that's going to ruin it for everybody.

So in general - meh...PvP and WvW content shouldn't really be paid for (although in some way it is - you cant't get HoT recipes in WvW if you don't own HoT i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong).

I enjoy PvP/WvW and I wouldn't mind paying for content if it meant they actually delivered on it! However, I disagree with competitive content being locked behind a paywall. Now if they wanted to do some sort of crowd-funding method with cosmetic perks for participants, that might be okay. But I rather feel this would be rewarding ANet for years of neglect.

@firedragon.8953 said:I would not be against the Living World Season after Cantha focusing on WvW (and I guess PvP, although I personally find arena PvP boring).I don't think balancing skills in PvP/WvW should need an expansion or DLC.

it really shouldn't, but there are traits, utilities, and weapons that are useless and have been so since the major trait rework. LW people focusing on wvw/ pvp would be sweet.

@kharmin.7683 said:Where is the financial incentive for Anet to even do such an expansion?

so these populations don't collapse? so anet has a solid base to build on? have you played these modes over the years? people have been leaving for a while now. they still got some life left but i doubt they are going to last as long as pve, and they certainly aren't going to grow until some basic problems are fixed.

I voted no, because I want them to put resources in a regular expansion. A lot of people simply would not buy the expansion if it was truly, exlusively PvP/WvW. If there would be some PvE features in it, people would complain they have to buy a whole expansion full of kitten, just for a few PvE features.

There would be no Win for Anet in a PvP expansion.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Where is the financial incentive for Anet to even do such an expansion?

so these populations don't collapse? so anet has a solid base to build on? have you played these modes over the years? people have been leaving for a while now. they still got some life left but i doubt they are going to last as long as pve, and they certainly aren't going to grow until some basic problems are fixed.

I would think it rather obvious who Anet believes their largest audience to be, and it isn't the competitive modes. To release an expansion that features only PvP/WvW would be a terrible decision, IMO.

While it may be true that players are leaving PvP/WvW (and I won't argue that those modes could use some attention), only Anet has the metrics on what modes players spend the most time playing. I'm not sure that the loss of PvP/WvW players impacts those numbers as much as many around here think that they do.

I voted no.

1. WvW and PvE share gear and it would likely be too cost prohibitive to change that at this point.
  2. PvE players would be angry about a spec locked behind a PvP mode. Given PvE players outnumber the PvP modes, whether the anger is justified or not is not relevant.
  3. Content updates for those modes have been so sparse compared to the number of free updates PvE has received that the content for those modes needs to be updated for free.
  4. It would be hard to separate those who bought from those who didn't without making it punishing to players who don't.

And this is coming from a PvE player.