How would you like to travel to Cantha? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

How would you like to travel to Cantha?

Would like to travel there by airship, sea vessel, dredge tunnels from Shiverpeaks, or other possible ways?
It always intrigues me if we traveled through the dredge tunnels, but I believe it would be easier for ANet to just make us travel by air like the Zephyrites did.
Also sailing the seas might not be possible because of the Deep Sea Dragon and their minions.

Comments

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020

@Ogwom.7940 said:
    Would like to travel there by airship, sea vessel, dredge tunnels from Shiverpeaks, or other possible ways?
    It always intrigues me if we traveled through the dredge tunnels, but I believe it would be easier for ANet to just make us travel by air like the Zephyrites did.
    Also sailing the seas might not be possible because of the Deep Sea Dragon and their minions.

Boat would be nice for a change of pace. Seems like Airship has been used a lot.

Perhaps we wouldn’t consider the DSD as a threat until maybe something happens by boat.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

If we intentionally go to Cantha, it would be cool to ride elder dragon Aurene. >_>

Airship seems most realistic, but dredge tunnel would be the coolest!

And there's always the chance we don't intentionally go to Cantha. Maybe we get sucked into the Mists and spit out in Cantha. :P

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

By boat would be the most interesting choice.
    And midway, we get attacked by a Kraken.

• On a pack of skimmer gliding above and/or under the water as need be to avoid any hazards on the journey there.

edited November 14, 2020

@Reverielle.3972 said:
    On a pack of skimmer gliding above and/or under the water as need be to avoid any hazards on the journey there.

That could become material for a mini game story instance.
    I don't think too many people would like that.
    A lot of people already disliked the Raptor puzzle during A Star to guide Us.

• HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭✭

It would be helpful if we could reach Cantha as easily as we can reach HoT. Either using a direct path from any of the nearby maps, or via a Guildhall. Path of Fire utilized the Lily of the Elon as a direct path, instead of walking there. This worked out, but only for players who owned the Deluxe or Ultimate Edition of Path of Fire. Others either had to travel through the Guildhall, via Teleport to Friend or run the first Story Mission with every new character - which was rather tedious and caused a lot of complaints.

As a convenience lounge, the Lily of the Elon was a total success. So I believe we get something like that again. Cantha is far away from Tyria and Elona, what makes a direct path rather difficult. If they do it, we probably travel there via a portal. Maybe from the EotN? I would really like to see the Airship as a travel-option again, because I enjoyed the relaxing cinematic with Path of Fire and Fidus' company.

• I hope we get to sail there with an armada of ships and have an epic sea-battle on the way. Heavy storm, swaying ships and grotesque deep-sea creatures included. Sadly I can't think of a convincing plot device why we wouldn't use our air ships.

Bugtracker: Costume Brawl, Sunqua Clouds
    Announcementtracker: Alliances, Legendary Armory

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have a scenario in my head for how the Ice Brood Saga might end, in that scenario we end up having to flee through a portal/rift that Aurine creates without knowing exactly where we will end up.

We end up stranded on Cantha and now have to deal with the Empire hunting us as foreign invaders while trying to find a way to get back to the mainland.

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

@knite.1542 said:
    Ideally using a teleport to friend without having to do the story.

My alts love you!

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

Also, I would love to travel to Cantha! Having trouble booking a flight though.

Seriously though, why wouldn't our characters use airships? Too convenient not to from a lore standpoint but I guess they can write in whatever they want. On the back of a siege turtle would be ideal.

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• aleron.1438aleron.1438 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

With all my guild riding our skimmers
    Edit, expanding on that:
    It would even be within a story instance to go to Cantha and claim the new guild hall there

• Raizel.1839Raizel.1839 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

Sea.
    Airship at most (but it has already be used with PoF).
    No portals or underground things please.

• Airship armada only to find that Cantha hasn't changed in 200 years, or would that be too realistic?

• Kichwas.7152Kichwas.7152 Member ✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:

Too much like FFXIV's Stormblood expansion...

Boat however would be a good option in general.

Just say no to butt-flaps. | 光復香港 時代革命

• (((joke))) Swimming. In real time. (((joke)))

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

The idea of a boat voyage is fun. Skimmering all the way from central Tyria or Elona just seems... beyond bad haha. Travel by ocean/sea seems like a bad idea with a deep sea dragon on the loose, but I suppose Zhaitan was always the one really interrupting travel by ship.

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Svennis.3852 said:
    The idea of a boat voyage is fun. Skimmering all the way from central Tyria or Elona just seems... beyond bad haha. Travel by ocean/sea seems like a bad idea with a deep sea dragon on the loose, but I suppose Zhaitan was always the one really interrupting travel by ship.

At this point, we don’t know where the DSD is. We could potentially witness its minions on a boat ride.

edited November 16, 2020

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Svennis.3852 said:

At this point, we don’t know where the DSD is. We could potentially witness its minions on a boat ride.

Which is why, logically, I don't see why the Commander/DW would choose to go that route if travel by air (or mists) is an option.

edited November 16, 2020

@Kichwas.7152 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

Too much like FFXIV's Stormblood expansion...

I was actually thinking of that boat ride in Golden Sun (although I don't remember if it was GS1 or GS2).

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭

Air/Mists route seems most likely to me as well - We could ride Aurene directly overseas or through the Mists (although the Mists would probably be the easier/shorter route. Alternatively, we could use airships, particularly if we do end up getting Aetherblade allies in Champions (getting something similar to the teaser art with the Aetherblade ships). Going by boat or water when there's a deep sea dragon somewhere out in the water that is known to be able to control it seems unnecessarily risky, especially if/when its revealed to be near Cantha, and would be less convenient anyways.

• Without lags, little loading screens and DirectX 12 on my side. Nuff said.

• Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭✭

Aren‘t the Sons of Svanir able to create portals? That would be an unexpected way.

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

• Pop the team on a boat - get attacked by DSD during the trip over. Shipwrecked onto Shing Jea. :#

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

By ship! The danger it poses makes for the best choice for an adventure. :)

• Skipping the whole thing.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

If t's not going to be magic(tm), it will most likely be another airship ride. Makes the most sense and is probably the best means of transport if no WPs are available.

I'd like to travel the seas though. Maybe make the ship an instance or map of its own.

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• It would be really funny if we get a direct-access, physical map portal to Cantha through the dredge tunnel like HoT had
    Meanwhile PoF is on the same continent and right next to orr/ fields of ruin, yet no direct route lol

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Through an Asura gate in the Central Transfer Chamber.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020

I would simply walk into cantha

• In style my good Ogwom. In style.

• I imagine some kind of submersible like with Draconis Mons, then you'd have to fight sea serpents while having some sort of Asuran magnetization/gravitation device keeping you from flying off it. Bonus points if we can use Underwater Skimmers during the trip!

• firedragon.8953firedragon.8953 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020

@Ameepa.6793 said:
    I would simply walk into cantha

One does not simply walk into Cantha.

But in all seriousness, I think we should access it from the underground. Dredge tunnels from Sorrow's Furnace/Shiverpeaks to Echovald Forest. Would make sense with the recent Primordus stuff. If Cantha didn't want outsiders coming to their shores, I'm pretty sure they would blast ships out of sea and sky. But considering that the Aetherblades are likely to be involved somehow with hints dropped in the trailer, I am going to guess that Anet chooses we go there by airship (like how we went to the desert in PoF) because it has been done and it is easy. Going by sea could introduce us to the sea dragon as well, although why would we suddenly decide to sail across the ocean unless Cantha formally invites us?

I think all are viable given the lore, but I definitely think some kind of underground transport system cooked up by the Dredge would be the most interesting, since we have not seen this kind of transport method in game yet. Who knows, maybe the dredge that escaped to Cantha long ago have been in contact with the Tyrian tengu behind their walls, keeping tabs on the comes and goings of Cantha and secretly reporting to the tengu. A secret tengu-dredge alliance. Sure, why not?

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

Through a huge Fire Elder Dragon corpse bridge that spans from Bloodtide Coast to Kaineng City

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

the ancient asura gates. you know, the ones at the start of EotN?

• 1st by carriage then by boat.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sea for sure but I won't be too surprised or disappointed to see it be airship.

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@borgs.6103 said:
    Through a huge Fire Elder Dragon corpse bridge that spans from Bloodtide Coast to Kaineng City

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Primordus' body falling and being so large it's the size of a whole new region in the game would be epic! Preferably over the ocean so it doesn't override areas we can already see on the map or may want to visit.

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:

@borgs.6103 said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Primordus' body falling and being so large it's the size of a whole new region in the game would be epic! Preferably over the ocean so it doesn't override areas we can already see on the map or may want to visit.

Nope. Not at all. It would in my opinion be the perfect start to "End of Dragons". Imagine traversing a dead dragon the size of a continent as the first story instance. Its magic still lingering in its corpse, so destroyers all over the place. Familiar foes and factions going there to establish a settlement to harvest magic, experiment or study for Open World playthrough purposes. It could also be the reason another dragon rose from the deep, since its corpse landed on the ocean. A great tidal wave due to the impact of its landing in the water changed the landscape, granting access to Cantha.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Anyone else thinking it might be nice to fly over with the Tengu? The dominion of winds is still prime starter location and undiscovered and the Tengu originally mostly come from Cantha anyway. They travelled from there to Tyria [continent] once, they can backtrack the same way [I dunno if they have some long-distance pelican tengu or they take breaks like migrating birds but I like the idea of going with them]

• On my skyscale. With my jetpack. In a single sub-orbital ballistic trajectory. No, I don't know how I'm going to beef up my jetpack to have that kind of power. I'm still working that part of the plan out. Maybe I can borrow one of those massive overbooster setups from the Armored Core series...