Let's laugh about things that used to be broken — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Let's laugh about things that used to be broken

SpellOfIniquity.1780SpellOfIniquity.1780 Member ✭✭✭✭

Who remembers Full Counter on PoF release when it would do like, 7k?

Or Reaper's Deathly Chill that caused Chill to deal damage, and more damage to targets below 50% health?

Or Diamond Skin that used to allow Ele's to be immune to Conditions above 90% health.

What other things do you remember that were hilariously busted?

[YWY] Weeping Valley //
My Youtube: Coconut Racecar
Necromancer | Maguuma | Diamond Legend

<1

Comments

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

Scourge's shades at PoF release?

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dadnir.5038 said:
    Scourge's shades at PoF release?

I take your scourge shades at release, and raise you:

• scourge greater shades with a 10 target ranged cap (now reduced to 2)
    • necromancer wells all with baseline lower cooldown (lasted a whole 1 day until nerfed back again)

:lol:

• Engi's slick shoes used to be broken OP as well
    • Mesmer (as a whole), it used to be stupidly strong but now it's just...
    • Cantrips on elementalist used to be very strong, now they are just outclassed (even when traited).
    • Druid's avatar.
    • Soulbeast's 4s unblockable effect on Unstoppable Union.
    • Dragonhunter daze on Piercing light.
    • Guardian's Glacial heart.
    • Daredevil's unhindered combatant.
    • ... etc.
  • Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭✭

Soulbeast trait "Unstoppable Union" - used to be unblockable.
    Killed so many after dismounting with pew pew.

• Junkpile.7439Junkpile.7439 Member ✭✭✭✭

Meteornado was fun, but not broken. 10-15k crits should be still norm.

Low quality trolling since launch
    Seafarer's Rest EotM Hero

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

I remember some kind of bloodmagic skill worked on structure doors and you could open even upgraded once by spamming 1...

There was also Necro Epidemic that you could load condis on oil pots or cannons and spread it onto people nearby.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

The Mesmer fall damage trait that was broken and one shorting people until it got fixed.

Wish I could find the videos...

Thank You for the {MEME}

• @Strider Pj.2193 said:
    The Mesmer fall damage trait that was broken and one shorting people until it got fixed.

Wish I could find the videos...

That reminds me about Warrior's falling trait too. I enjoyed single handedly wiping small zergs in EOTM repeatedly spamming it at one of the tower gates, lmao.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020

that one 5 man mes team abusing distortion share and taking on zergs (was an honor to run into head first and be kilt by em)
    the mes fall trait one shotting people (death from above)
    CoR doing 15k on a 4 sec cd (monkey go boom)
    deadeye doing 50k DJs (no one roams so no one complains)
    soulbeast doing all manner of one shots (still a thing?)
    before people knew about burn guard (before purity of purpose)
    HoT reaper corrupt bombs (long live the boonball now tho)
    ele lava font (you know it was deserved)
    ele elite gs rush into wall one shot (never seen but the most hilarious thing when people would walk into it)
    just after stab nerf (kitten kitten we gud at killing own gaem)
    before crit damage nerf (10k life blast on uplevels lel)
    necro plague form (never forgive)
    the first time dhuumfire came onto the scene (the panic lol)
    necro life blast heal gm trait that lasted a month (never forgive)
    water field blast unlimited targets (combo field relevancy rip)
    red guard and organized guilds vs blobs (back when coordination mattered)
    pre fb nerfs (shattered aegis R I P, f3 50s cd loller)
    chrono boonshare (can't nerf our pve overlords)
    rev ventari 13k burst heal 3 sec cd (no aoe no gud cuz bad at le stacks)

Te lazla otstara.

• Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭

Wasn't full counter on something like a 8 second cooldown? Basically WvW was a swarm of warriors stunning each other and hitting for 10k?

For a short time mesmer's chaos armor was blinding when hit and the mesmer had a trait that applied confusion on blind... It used to be epic, thiefs were killing themselves so fast... I loved this trait, not for the WvW combo thought, it had synergy with the glamor trait that made glamor blind on use.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

I wouldn't say that those were "OP".
    Spectral armor and Spectral walk when struck LF gen without ICD while in and out of shroud, thought... That was worth a good laugh!

• @Dadnir.5038 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

I wouldn't say that those were "OP".
    Spectral armor and Spectral walk when struck LF gen without ICD while in and out of shroud, thought... That was worth a good laugh!

no i'm just salty they're gone

Te lazla otstara.

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020

Deadeye at pof release. 4 second stealth on dodge, mark stacked multipliers over time, then a 50k death's judgement, that instant killed me in a full reaper shroud bypassing the life force and the health pool at once (the hit that kicks you out of shroud does not have 50% reduced damage).

In general fighting deadeyes after pof release was like "if he lands one hit, it's over". Of course the deadeye had 20k hp due to valkyre gear, was immune to reveal and so was almost impossible to kill.

The second place goes to pof release condi mirage and its endless clone and evasion spam. That was a prime example about community incompetence. Everyone at pof release said mirage sucks and is the worst pof spec because you don't move anymore at dodging. It took weeks before people figured out how many broken synergies mirage cloak has.

There was a lot of cheese in this game. But these 2 were the worst, because the builds carried players on another level. For example trailblazer condi reaper was 100% broken at melee range. Getting close to it was a death sentence (30 bleeds, 7 cover conditions, applied in less than 2 seconds), but like for any other overpowered build except deadeye and condi mirage there was at least one counter to it (ranged burst in this case).

At the moment there are still overpowered things, but most (not all) of these are bunkers that can be disengaged from, which is at least better than inevitably getting killed.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

I remember 5 signet warriors fighting 10+ players on their own and winning.
    This was very shortly after release.

• GewRoo.4172GewRoo.4172 Member ✭✭✭

Almost every new spec after PoF release was busted and needed some serious work lol. Power creep was real. Post PoF I would add

• literally immortal Gyro Scrapper after the rework
    • Soulbeast spamming five-digit dmg numbers
    • S/D Condi Daredevil was as busted as toxic
    • P/D Condi Teef after Shadow Arts rework
    • maybe Fire Weaver
    • and Firebrand for Aegis spam until recently.
  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020

Deadeyes Shadow Flare, when it had no cooldown
    Guards passive buffs on the warclaw
    Warriors Rampage, that did 10k hits to ppl with Protection and 2k toughness

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭✭

Rev's old sword #5 (Grasping Shadows) had a bug to pull your target rather than the thing you hit on activation. It worked from infinite range so you could do funny stuff like hitting an ambient creature then pulling unaware players off of walls.

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Clownmug.8357 said:
    Rev's old sword #5 (Grasping Shadows) had a bug to pull your target rather than the thing you hit on activation. It worked from infinite range so you could do funny stuff like hitting an ambient creature then pulling unaware players off of walls.

Ugh, I remember falling victim to that and sitting at my keyboard in disbelief, jaw hanging open 🤣

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Holosmith with 20+ stacks of might and 10 stacks of stab with barrier. ECSU could easily stack cap might on its own.

Reapers with death perception, unyielding blast, decimate defenses, reapers onslaught, full valkrye. ~300% crit damage. 100% crit chance, permanent quickness and 3 stacks of stab.

edited November 16, 2020

Ghost Trapper thief
    **Only took a raid boss kill to get nerf within 24hrs.

• Don't forget Golems with Ice Bows during the Golem Event week. That was hilarious.

[UNIV] GL, [TLC] Squirrel Wrangler, devotee of [POO] the number 2 guild on Fort Aspenwood.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

I laughed pretty hard once when I found a holo who was afk, (before the nerf to passive invul trait) by the time he died he had 18 stacks of might!!! Prot regen swiftness all just being afk.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Being the 3rd faction and slipping into a keep that was about to flip just to hide and portal your friends in 5 minutes later :p

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Condi build using mortar fire shot melting zergs
    Perma stealth thieves... oh wait
    Warriors pre nerf
    Condi rev... oh wait
    Boonbeast pre nerf
    Mesmers pre nerf
    Frost bow

• knite.1542knite.1542 Member ✭✭✭

The brief period of time when guardian symbols damage buff stacked between guardians. I remember symbol guards literally taking towers and keeps with no siege

If your team wins it's because of everyone else. If your team loses, blame the thief.
    ranger is OP but holo is more OP so its fine
    Why do this matter at all, you have people asking you why play so bad as fractal god?
    If they would pull that kitten on me, i would sue instantly. And i have enough time and money to finish that.
    Balance? More like a bunch of random nerfs done by interns.

• Widmo.3186Widmo.3186 Member ✭✭✭✭

Basically all PoF specs used to be, still are, or became after certain patch - broken. ANet has no idea how to balance it, and I dont even want to imagine whats gonna happen after next expansion

Dont mind me, I just randomly spam 35 skill-buttons
    25.02.2020 edit - Nevermind, now I spam only 29 skill-buttons

• @Widmo.3186 said:
    Basically all PoF specs used to be, still are, or became after certain patch - broken. ANet has no idea how to balance it, and I dont even want to imagine whats gonna happen after next expansion

Maybe Mesmer gets an elite spec that stacks 3 seconds of Invulnerability every time they dodge and refills Endurance when Invulnerability ends.

Or maybe Warrior gets a trait that increases their attack speed and movement speed by 100% every time they crit.

Seem like things ANet might do.

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

@SpellOfIniquity.1780 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:

Maybe Mesmer gets an elite spec that stacks 3 seconds of Invulnerability every time they dodge and refills Endurance when Invulnerability ends.

Or maybe Warrior gets a trait that increases their attack speed and movement speed by 100% every time they crit.

Or maybe Necro gets more fat aoe skills to blanket the screen.

Make me good at game!

• @Justine.6351 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:

And nerf Rev hammer more \o/

[YWY] Weeping Valley //

@Justine.6351 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:

And nerf Rev hammer more \o/

Its ok I don't play that anymore. B)

Make me good at game!

• laughs at everything *

This one is still pretty funny.

• There was a period when you could summon up to 7 theives if you had ambush, thieves guild, and improv.

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

Tripping on stairs and breaking my neck, resulting in instant death.

Asura summoning golems to open gates in mere seconds.

Summoning ice bow as ele and decimate a zerg.

Taking 20k dmg from meteorshower with 3.5k armor.

Taking 17 dmg from meteorshower in dmg reduction meta.

Also, i miss blasting waterfields as primary healing source and flaming ppl who threw a lightfield into it.

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember when culling was a thing? Using Veil could make a whole zerg take like 10 seconds for their models to render or you'd have thieves able to backstab players in a group and keep auto-attacking without anyone realizing what was happening.

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:
    This one is still pretty funny.

We had that last week. Some Deso player copypasted that strategy. And even after the damage patch it instantly downed some casuals of my server.

• aleron.1438aleron.1438 Member ✭✭✭

DE on release, p/p BQoBK with Mark Mercy Mark stun lock insta burst kill. No need to stalk and wait 30sec for that 1shot DJ.

• GewRoo.4172GewRoo.4172 Member ✭✭✭

Remember when Scourges could stack 25 might with auto attacks after the rework of Rune of Sanctuary and Abrasive Grit? I giggled.

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

Most folks never even saw the launch version of Firebrand.
    They chopped the burning in a matter of hours xD

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• @KrHome.1920 said:
    CMC referred to that overpowered on release thing in the podcast interview a few days ago. He said a spec being too strong on release will result in people trying and messing around with it, which is "good" as the new content will actually be played and for playtime statistics for further balancing. He prefers that over a too weak spec, that nobody plays at release.

So we know what will happen, when the next expac releases...

I think most people knew that was gonna happen. ANET not even bothering to pretend new specs will not be overpowered. LOL that's a new low point.

• Smokescale during HoT beta and a few days after launch. 30k+ Smoke Assault ftw!

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Spartacus.3192 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:
    CMC referred to that overpowered on release thing in the podcast interview a few days ago. He said a spec being too strong on release will result in people trying and messing around with it, which is "good" as the new content will actually be played and for playtime statistics for further balancing. He prefers that over a too weak spec, that nobody plays at release.

I think most people knew that was gonna happen. ANET not even bothering to pretend new specs will not be overpowered. LOL that's a new low point.

Well, maybe it's the new transparency stuff they been talking about... Not like they've been subtle with the previous power creep marketing

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• DeceiverX.8361DeceiverX.8361 Member ✭✭✭✭

Culling.
    And the 50% damage mod on release Assassin's Signet, with all the other damage modifiers available to thief on DA and CS, almost all of which have been removed.

12k damage Mug was absolutely stupid, but also hilarious it was even allowed to exist.

You sure that Sniper idea is as good as you thought it was gonna be?
    Because I think my original idea is better.

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

@KrHome.1920 said:

If that is true, sigh. I would be more okay with this philosophy if they actually targeted the nerfs at the elite specs, but history will repeat itself and we will rinse and repeat through the same BS, and the same overperforming specs will remain such for the majority of the expac. PoF was enough to swear me off of PvP for good. Couldn't even bear finishing the first season after it dropped because of how horrendous balance was. Seeing how specs like core Engi and core Mes get butchered because of Holo and Mirage makes me worry for the future of other classes.

I am excited for new e-specs simply because it is new content, but I was hoping CMC would be the voice of reason to help keep the e-specs more in check. We will see I guess. I'm still a little foolishly optimistic.

• CutesySylveon.8290CutesySylveon.8290 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020

The original Revenant.
    2 second CD on CoR, each of the 3 damage areas could hit 5 targets so it hit 15 people, Cruel Repurcussuon doing 50% more damage if one of those 15 were blocked.

Results = Some unlucky soul ate a 30k+ attack and just ceased to exist.

Precision Strike tracked stealth.
    600 range Unrelenting Assault that hit 7 times, and when it was reduced to 5 hits the confusion bug happened where it made confusion tick 6 times as if you hit 6 skills every time you used it.
    No CD, 20 energy Phase Traversal.
    50 endurance regen Riposting Shadows.
    No lost dagger charges on Shiro heal attacks missing.
    Reviving someone made them/you get Infuse Light.
    SotM could almost 1 shot someone on the perfect setup.
    Equilibrium existed.
    Ventari healing for 14k with Natural Harmony. Stacking 30 seconds of resistance with out of combat Fast Swap Mallyx Pain Absorption spam.

Good times.

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

@Pterikdactyl.7630 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:

If that is true, sigh. I would be more okay with this philosophy if they actually targeted the nerfs at the elite specs, but history will repeat itself and we will rinse and repeat through the same BS, and the same overperforming specs will remain such for the majority of the expac. PoF was enough to swear me off of PvP for good. Couldn't even bear finishing the first season after it dropped because of how horrendous balance was. Seeing how specs like core Engi and core Mes get butchered because of Holo and Mirage makes me worry for the future of other classes.

I am excited for new e-specs simply because it is new content, but I was hoping CMC would be the voice of reason to help keep the e-specs more in check. We will see I guess. I'm still a little foolishly optimistic.

They can't even make the Kalla Legend useful in WvW lol. I'm serious their track record on expansions is so bad that there is a good chance one of the main classes you play will not get an e-spec that is usable in wvw or pvp. Usually it falls under who gets stuck with the ranger theme for the class because like Renegade the Dragonhunter just a few of the traits from that e-spec line are usually used. So the traps and longbow have never been really useful unless they are so broken that everyone is using them until they fix or break them to not be so broken. So to me when they finally reveal the new E-specs its like when they call the lottery numbers and are like okay fingers crossed my class doesn't get rangered out.