Gem Cards at 20% Off During the Best Buy Gaming Weekend (NA) - [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Gem Cards at 20% Off During the Best Buy Gaming Weekend (NA) - [Merged]

Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 20, 2020 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-gem-cards-at-20-off-during-the-best-buy-gaming-weekend/

Gem Cards at 20% Off During the Best Buy Gaming Weekend

Are you eyeing a holiday gift for your favorite squadmate? Is your heart set on an especially fluffy springer? Maybe it’s just time for a total makeover. Stock your wallet with gems at a discount and make your dreams come true!

Guild Wars 2 Gem Cards are on sale during the Best Buy Gaming Weekend. From store opening at 10:00 a.m. on November 19 until closing time on November 21, visit your local Best Buy store location or BestBuy.com to receive 20% off when you purchase a $25 Gem Card.

To add the gems to your in-game wallet, scratch to reveal the code on the back of the card and visit the Guild Wars 2 Gem Store in the game. Select “Redeem Code” and enter your code in the field.

Mark your calendars and prepare to save!

For Your Safety

Over the past weekend, several areas in the United States announced enhanced restrictions on public gatherings to help slow the spread of coronavirus. The 20% discount will apply to $25 Gem Cards purchased online through BestBuy.com during the Best Buy Gaming Weekend, and you may have your Gem Cards shipped to you. Best Buy also offers no contact curbside pickup at physical locations. Please stay safe!

Poster's Edit: Best Buy has stores in the US, Canada, and Mexico.
However, according to posters below, this deal might not be available outside the US.

I also do not know if it's easy for players in other regions to purchase the Gem Cards online or not.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

Comments

• I cannot see this promo on the Canadian Bestbuy.ca. Cannot see anything GW2 on the Canadian site actually.

Is this US only?

• that's great, but best buy in Canada hasn't sold them in YEARS, so I'm guessing this is a US only thing

70 'mains' and waiting for more slots
    | 62 Asura | 5 Charr | 1 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

• @Mungo Zen.9364 said:
    Is this US only?

@nottsgman.8206 said:
    that's great, but best buy in Canada hasn't sold them in YEARS, so I'm guessing this is a US only thing

It looks as if it might be US only. However, y'all now have as much information as I: that's the entire text from the official GW2 website. It makes no mention of where it's available.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• TDC.1627TDC.1627 Member ✭✭

That's great, Too bad ANET, have stopped supplying Gem cards to Australia forcing us to be ripped off with an insane conversion rate.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Woohoo! I'll be buying.. well, probably as many as I can afford to be honest lol. At least from what I can tell, it should apply to all cards right, not one per purchase?

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• As a long-time buyer of Gem Cards online at Best Buy, it is good to see the 'Free Shipping' is back on the cards.
    (It should have always been 'Free Shipping' as they just pop them into the mail [USPS].)

• @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    As a long-time buyer of Gem Cards online at Best Buy, it is good to see the 'Free Shipping' is back on the cards.
    (It should have always been 'Free Shipping' as they just pop them into the mail [USPS].)

Yeah, because naturally the USPS doesn't charge Best Buy for mailing Gem Cards...

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• choon.6308choon.6308 Member ✭✭✭

Add the sales tax and that sale becomes obsolete

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Braynz.2906 said:
    So why not make Gems 20% cheaper for everyone in the Gem Store?

I don't think Anet arranged this, it looks like it's part of a general sale Best Buy are running and Anet just chose to advertise the fact that it includes gem cards.

I suppose they could have done their own sale at the same time, but if they did that any time a store somewhere in the world discounted gem cards they'd probably never have a consistent price. Gem cards are pretty hard to come by in the UK so I haven't looked myself in a long time but I know players in other countries are always advising each other to shop around because there's almost always somewhere selling them cheaper.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings"

• @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    As a long-time buyer of Gem Cards online at Best Buy, it is good to see the 'Free Shipping' is back on the cards.

Yeah, because naturally the USPS doesn't charge Best Buy for mailing Gem Cards...

I think they can afford to eat the 49 cents. ;)

• @choon.6308 said:

No sales tax on 'Gift Cards' many places. Otherwise, you pay sales tax twice.

• I have a EU account. If I get a hold of one of these cards, the code should work on my account, right? Gem cards aren't region-locked - correct?
    I know the necessary info to answer this question is not on the text; I'm hoping someone here has been in this situation and has an answer.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TDC.1627 said:
    That's great, Too bad ANET, have stopped supplying Gem cards to Australia forcing us to be ripped off with an insane conversion rate.

Did they? Or did merchants in Australia decide that there was not enough profit for them to re-sell them. I'd like to see proof of your statement.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

edited November 17, 2020

@zoejo.2317 said:
    I have a EU account. If I get a hold of one of these cards, the code should work on my account, right? Gem cards aren't region-locked - correct?
    I know the necessary info to answer this question is not on the text; I'm hoping someone here has been in this situation and has an answer.

The code itself will work because the game doesn't distinguish between EU and NA accounts, literally the only difference is which server cluster you connect to and that can be changed at any time. I've also used US gem and promo codes on my account on an EU server and they worked.

But as far as I can see these are physical gem cards which are posted out (or can be collected from the store), not a code sent by email. If you're playing on EU servers but live in the US that's not a problem but if you're in Europe then I suspect even if you can get the card sent to you the shipping cost will cancel out the discount.

(Because I'm in the UK and connected to the US website it seems to have decided I'm in Maine and keeps telling me I can collect them from Bangor or Portsmouth, which confusingly are also towns in the UK.)

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020

@kharmin.7683 said:

@TDC.1627 said:

Did they? Or did merchants in Australia decide that there was not enough profit for them to re-sell them. I'd like to see proof of your statement.

Yep they (Anet) did , ALL sources of Gem Cards (Canada) disappeared from all the places they were available (including Amazon CA which only has the cards from 3rd party vendors that are selling (stealing) at inflated prices). I really doubt that walmart,best buy, eb, amazon etc colluded to not carry them.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭✭

Time to spend $500 :-)

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Braynz.2906 said:

Because cross-promotions are funded by the retailer, not the supplier. Take it up with Best Buy.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blude.6812 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@TDC.1627 said:

Yep they (Anet) did , ALL sources of Gem Cards (Canada) disappeared from all the places they were available (including Amazon CA which only has the cards from 3rd party vendors that are selling (stealing) at inflated prices). I really doubt that walmart,best buy, eb, amazon etc colluded to not carry them.

I can't buy them in NZ, either. Also, the gem cards were in local currency, so they need to be produced with the currency individually for each country. And, possibly more confusingly to some people in the USA, in NZ and Australia our sales tax must be included in the item cost. The item cost must be in NZD. So a $20NZD gem card was sold at $20NZD, including tax. No gem cards in local currency (including our 15% goods and services tax) == no cards available for sale in my country.

• @Braynz.2906 said:

@Trise.2865 said:

@Braynz.2906 said:

Because cross-promotions are funded by the retailer, not the supplier. Take it up with Best Buy.

People understand that this promotion is coming from Best Buy but they also remember Arenanet repeatedly disregarding players outside North America in previous promotions. Promotions that they actually had a say in. Players are jaded but to be fair to Arenanet, this modus operandi isn't unique to them. A lot of 'murican companies do business as if they had no customers from outside the country even if they have just as many or even more of those than North American ones.

They could e-mail out discount codes for online gem purchases (so no double-dipping in combination with the discounted cards) and it would show good will on their part even if they limited those codes to one per account. It's not a mindblowing discount and for many it's not about the cash saved but the ever-present impression that they are less valuable customers purely due to their geographical location.

Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dragons of primordial magic from Tyria.

• TDC.1627TDC.1627 Member ✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@TDC.1627 said:

Yep sure did, Was told that by multiple EB Games Staff and their head office. Cards no longer being sold or restocked in Australia once existing stock expires.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@choon.6308 said:

Sales tax is generally 8.25%, a ways off from 20%. Also, if you pay that when you buy a card (it varies by retailer but Best Buy has always taxed me personally), you'll be paying that whether the card is on sale or not, so you still end up paying 20% less than you would otherwise. You aren't even exempt from taxes if you buy gems through the game

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• Saw that a retailer is offering a 20% discount on gem cards for the Holidays, would be nice if Anet would mimic that thru the TP. Being a virtual currency whose production costs are practically non-existent the loss of profit per unit by applying a discount would be vastly overshadowed by the increase sales volume.

Adversity is the medium thru which strength and greatness are forged.

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    But as far as I can see these are physical gem cards which are posted out (or can be collected from the store), not a code sent by email. If you're playing on EU servers but live in the US that's not a problem but if you're in Europe then I suspect even if you can get the card sent to you the shipping cost will cancel out the discount.

No worries; I have a US resident friend that will receive it at his address and send me a photo of the scratched off card.

Thank you for the confirmation!

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

That's true, the volume of players buying gems from the discount would be more than the discount but...
    That would probably create a ton of players who are only waiting for gems to go on sale and never buy gems at normal price. It's what i would do honestly.
    And not to mention, that would really start affecting gem to gold conversion prices as well. Probably very negatively since players would stock up on gems on discounts and gold to gem prices would go down as in - you'd get less gems for gold than you do now.

It's best if the prices remain stable, and only the retailers sometime have discounts, although i don't think that's a good idea either in terms of stability.

I mean, yeah, everyone would like to have more gems for less but idk, doesn't seem really worth it in the long run. Maybe i'm wrong.

@Veprovina.4876 said:
    That would probably create a ton of players who are only waiting for gems to go on sale and never buy gems at normal price. It's what i would do honestly.

That's what I'd do (and what I have done in Elder Scrolls Online where it's been a few years since I bought crowns at full price). I'd maybe buy more the first time around (potentially about 4000 gems, which would last me about 6 months based on past experience) then wait for another sale before buying any more with real money. If, after a year or so the sale looks to be a one-off I'll probably go back to buying gems as and when I need them but if sales are happening reasonably regularly (twice a year or so) I'll probably only buy during sales.

I think it really comes down to how quickly most players spend them. I know some people talk about buying cheaper items like dye kits or black lion keys with 'left over' gems after getting whatever they actually wanted, or converting them into gold, just to use up the remaining balance. If that's more common than saving them it could actually work out well for Anet - players would buy gems during a sale, use them buying stuff they wouldn't normally consider because it's cheaper, then buy gems at full price next time something they want comes along.

I have no idea what the long-term impact on the gem to gold conversion rates would be though. I think at first a lot of people would convert gems to gold and the price to do that would go up, causing the price of gems bought with gold to go down. But of course if it dips too much lots of people will start converting their gold while it's cheap and it will go back up again. If it was a one-off sale it might not have much impact but if it got to be a regular thing I'm not sure what would happen.

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:
    Saw that a retailer is offering a 20% discount on gem cards for the Holidays, would be nice if Anet would mimic that thru the TP. Being a virtual currency whose production costs are practically non-existent the loss of profit per unit by applying a discount would be vastly overshadowed by the increase sales volume.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-gem-cards-at-20-off-during-the-best-buy-gaming-weekend/

also i agree with you that it would be nice if Anet offered it through their own in game trading system-minimizing RTS and account exploits and account hijacking and victimizing off innocent players who knew about it-took some time off-casual players. Other gaming companies does it, why not here?

(side note)-Red Flag-- accounts encouraging raising sell prices on the trading posts, should automatically be looked into as soon as possible

'Situations that are present are there because you allow and tolerate them to continue'

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

That's what I'd do (and what I have done in Elder Scrolls Online where it's been a few years since I bought crowns at full price). I'd maybe buy more the first time around (potentially about 4000 gems, which would last me about 6 months based on past experience) then wait for another sale before buying any more with real money. If, after a year or so the sale looks to be a one-off I'll probably go back to buying gems as and when I need them but if sales are happening reasonably regularly (twice a year or so) I'll probably only buy during sales.

I think it really comes down to how quickly most players spend them. I know some people talk about buying cheaper items like dye kits or black lion keys with 'left over' gems after getting whatever they actually wanted, or converting them into gold, just to use up the remaining balance. If that's more common than saving them it could actually work out well for Anet - players would buy gems during a sale, use them buying stuff they wouldn't normally consider because it's cheaper, then buy gems at full price next time something they want comes along.

I have no idea what the long-term impact on the gem to gold conversion rates would be though. I think at first a lot of people would convert gems to gold and the price to do that would go up, causing the price of gems bought with gold to go down. But of course if it dips too much lots of people will start converting their gold while it's cheap and it will go back up again. If it was a one-off sale it might not have much impact but if it got to be a regular thing I'm not sure what would happen.

Yeah, i'm not sure myself. But i think it's better if the gem price is discounted and they just discount gem store items sometimes like they did so far.
    And that's true, you'd see a lot of flippers buying gems with gold cheap and when the gold price goes down, converting those gems back into more gold.
    Idk if i explained that entirely correctly, but you know what i mean. Buy cheap, sell high, ??????, profit lol.

• @Veprovina.4876 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, i'm not sure myself. But i think it's better if the gem price is discounted and they just discount gem store items sometimes like they did so far.
    And that's true, you'd see a lot of flippers buying gems with gold cheap and when the gold price goes down, converting those gems back into more gold.
    Idk if i explained that entirely correctly, but you know what i mean. Buy cheap, sell high, ??????, profit lol.

Does all that even matter? We are paying REAL money for VIRTUAL. Who honestly cares if someone in a game has more fake money then you? When I buy gems its to treat myself, if I can do so cheaper I am all for that. I dont care if another player can walk around saying "I'm rich you know" ingame or irl. I can still kill them ingame and laugh at them irl. News Flash all currency exchange rates always favor coercing players to use rl money to purchase ingame crypto.

Adversity is the medium thru which strength and greatness are forged.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Does all that even matter? We are paying REAL money for VIRTUAL. Who honestly cares if someone in a game has more fake money then you? When I buy gems its to treat myself, if I can do so cheaper I am all for that. I dont care if another player can walk around saying "I'm rich you know" ingame or irl. I can still kill them ingame and laugh at them irl. News Flash all currency exchange rates always favor coercing players to use rl money to purchase ingame crypto.

Well it will definitely matter when - due to inflation possibly caused by gem conversions when all people have tons of gold and not just a few, then when you have to play 17 gold for 1 ecto, with no way to farm that amount in game other than gem to gold conversion, then it will matter.

This is of course, an extreme example, i really doubt that would happen, but the economy in any MMO is always wonky, there's really no need to shake it further.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for cheaper gems, but maybe it wold be better to leave the gem/gold conversions out of it, and just have store items on sale. That way, you can still get more for your gems, but since the gems still have a stable price, you can't get cheaper gold for it.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I know that in my industry discounts such as this are partially funded by the retail outlet. Is it possible that this promotion exists because of an incentive from Best Buy? If so, I very much doubt that BB would fund discounts on product not purchased through them.

• jediwolf.8724jediwolf.8724 Member ✭✭✭

Haven't seen gem cards in Canada in years. It would be nice to included in these promotions.
    I am sure there are people in other countries wish they could get this offer as well.

• How much do these cards affect the gold to gem prices?

• fixit.7189fixit.7189 Member ✭✭✭

haven't seen gem cards in west coast canada in a loooong time.

instead i have to get pwned by harsh exchange rates.

funny, Anet head offices isn't that far from where i live.

sucks.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:
    How much do these cards affect the gold to gem prices?

Zero if the ones buying it aint converting those gems to gold.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

But, once these gems are used they go into the gem pool which adds supply, no? There should be some effect.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• beogoat.9215beogoat.9215 Member ✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020

Thanks, ANet!
    I got mine!
    :)

• @kharmin.7683 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

But, once these gems are used they go into the gem pool which adds supply, no? There should be some effect.

I don't think Gems used in the Gem Store (for items) go into the pool. Only Gems that are traded for Gold.

• Too bad it's only for NA players.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Braynz.2906 said:

That would be to easy....

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile In Europe:
    https://www.game-key.nl/product/guild-wars-2-2000-gems-card/
    https://livekaarten.nl/guild-wars-2-gem-card-4000
    https://www.cdkeys.com/nl_nl/pc/punten/guild-wars-2-2000-gem-points-card-pc

(Some random resellers, I don't necessarily recommend them)

And the official resellers mentioned by ArenaNet for The Netherlands don't even sell them anymore.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Not totally random EU reseller :with some smaller discount : https://www.instant-gaming.com/fr/141-acheter-jeu-ncsoft-guild-wars-2-2000-gems/
    Pas eu de souci particulier sur ma commande là-bas.

But I aggree with previous comments : really bad thing Anet can't promote EU resellers in same time. Unity is not for now.