Dyes like Darkness?

Wisely.4819

Hello!! If you have the dye Darkness, you surely know how magnificent it is. It creates its own gray gradients, accentuates details like no other, sometimes even creates its own texture. If you do not have it, you should get it! I will attach a screenshot.Are there any other colors like it in terms of quality? I don't mean the same hue/shade (black), but any that are just so FUN to use! The only other superfun dye I found is Searing. Do you know of any other?Darkness on outfit: tHqunxL.pngSearing on outfit:oY8lcPZ.png

Glossy Black is good for this, it has a similar effect of being dark but accentuating details. Also Midnight Ice and Midnight Fire, which have a kind of two-tone effect where depending on lighting and material they look either black or dark blue (Ice) or red (Fire).

Moving away from blacks all the enamelled dyes are like this, Heirloom is a good red for creating/showing shades and textures. Charred and one of the golds...I think it's Golden Sheen is also good for showing textures. There's others too but I'm on my work computer so I can't check and can't remember them now.

There's also some more vivid dyes that can create textures or look different across materials, like Bloodstone Indigo (and the dark version, although I find that a bit too vivid a lot of the time) or Vincent. And Abyssal Forest/Sea which look either black or bright green/blue depending on what you use them on.

thank you all for your suggestions :D I am making a list:

• Bloody Red - I have it, need to test
  • Cinders
  • Charred
  • Carnage Orange
  • Ember Red
  • Caustic Green
  • Vincent
  • Heirloom - I think I have it
  • Blue Lion
  • Enameled Emblaze - I thought I had all enameleds but this one sounds unfamiliar

I have Glossy Black and it's nowhere near as cool as Darkness. The Abyssals I have, they are very cool but sometimes too dark. Permafrost is the opposite of accentuating a texture - it erases them entirely :D It looks funny sometimes but that's it I feel

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:For a teal blue, I love Sand Shark. It seems to give better effects than a lot of light/teal blues. And for another black, I like Tar.

Oh that dye is beautiful!!!!! What birthday gift is it in? I need it :D

Sand Shark is part of the 6th birthday gift. Good luck!

Oh no I seem to have misplaced the dye kit somewhere. I was saving it and then put it somewhere for later and now I can't find it. Nevermind, I think I get another in February :D Thank u tho

@"Wisely.4819" said:thank you all for your suggestions :D I am making a list:

• Bloody Red - I have it, need to test
  • Cinders
  • Charred
  • Carnage Orange
  • Ember Red
  • Caustic Green
  • Vincent
  • Heirloom - I think I have it
  • Blue Lion
  • Enameled Emblaze - I thought I had all enameleds but this one sounds unfamiliar

I have Glossy Black and it's nowhere near as cool as Darkness. The Abyssals I have, they are very cool but sometimes too dark. Permafrost is the opposite of accentuating a texture - it erases them entirely :D It looks funny sometimes but that's it I feel

You can preview all the dyes without owning them.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dye

“ The preview window has space for up to four colors, which are applied to specific color "channels" on each item. There are four ways to preview specific colors:

Right-click any dye consumable from inventory or your bank vault.

Right-click dyes from the Trading Post panel.

Using the Dye subpanel of the hero window.

Right-clicking a dye pinged to the chat window; you can do this for dyes you do not own by copying the item codes from dye infobox on the wiki's article and pasting them to any chat channel.”

I know I can preview them but sometimes while preview them I preview them on bad materials or bad outfits and I end up skipping it when it's actually a good dye. I don't have most blues in the game by virtue of this because I just always preview it on wrong stuff. I never knew Sand Shark had a gradient

For me the fun dyes or best dyes are the ones that have either high contrast or can appear as different/multi colors.

A lot of the ones that immediately popped in my head are already listed here (Charred & Cinders. Enameled Emblaze. Abyssal Sea/Abyssal Forest/Bloody Red. The Mad King dyes like Ember Red, Carnage Orange, etc.) So I'm going to try to add some that aren't here:

Seraphim -- from the yellow cannisters. I dismissed it at first (ew, muddy yellow) but now I've been using it quite a lot. It's a very high contrast gold, that can range from almost black/dark brown to a very shiny gold

Midnight Bronze -- can be situational, but has some color change

I prefer Frostbite Blue to Permafrost. It's got the same burn your eyeballs out glow, but the blue makes it extra wintery-magic

@Wisely.4819 said:

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:For a teal blue, I love Sand Shark. It seems to give better effects than a lot of light/teal blues. And for another black, I like Tar.

Oh no I seem to have misplaced the dye kit somewhere. I was saving it and then put it somewhere for later and now I can't find it. Nevermind, I think I get another in February :D Thank u tho

Do you use gw2efficiency? That way you can search for an item on your account and figure out if a character has it in his/her inventory, or if it's in your bank, etc. A great site, and free.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Do you use gw2efficiency? That way you can search for an item on your account and figure out if a character has it in his/her inventory, or if it's in your bank, etc. A great site, and free.

i do but some characters just don't show up on there for me, their equip/inventory is blank. it's fine though, it'll turn up someday :D

@Wisely.4819 said:

If you like sandshark also check out oasis, core ice, and celestial blue. While we're on the topic of great blue dyes, take a look at cerulean sky!

@Udolpho.1209 said:For me the fun dyes or best dyes are the ones that have either high contrast or can appear as different/multi colors.

A lot of the ones that immediately popped in my head are already listed here (Charred & Cinders. Enameled Emblaze. Abyssal Sea/Abyssal Forest/Bloody Red. The Mad King dyes like Ember Red, Carnage Orange, etc.) So I'm going to try to add some that aren't here:

Seraphim -- from the yellow cannisters. I dismissed it at first (ew, muddy yellow) but now I've been using it quite a lot. It's a very high contrast gold, that can range from almost black/dark brown to a very shiny gold

Midnight Bronze -- can be situational, but has some color change

I prefer Frostbite Blue to Permafrost. It's got the same burn your eyeballs out glow, but the blue makes it extra wintery-magic

Eternal Ice is good, too.

Charred & Cinders are great <3 The dyes named after virtues/vices have high contrast like that too. Forgiveness, Pride, Spite, Sincerity, Mischief, Arrogance... I don't remember all of them, but the ones named in that vein.

My favorite two-tone dyes are Heirloom (red to brown), Patina & Tarnish (brass to green), Khaki, Pine, Deep Pine & Deep Maple (red-brown to green), Starry Night, Ocean & Regal (blue to greenish). And Cyanide dye is a blue-green two-tone that's also really high contrast.