Budget PC for Guild Wars 2?

Can anyone recommend a budget build components for a PC that would run GW2 at maximum?I know it's an older engine but man is it demanding...

I don't need 4k at 144Hz or anything crazy, nor do i need anything super extreme with ray tracing for other games, i don't really care about those.My monitors are 2k 75Hz each so i don't have to get more FPS than that at 2k.

What's the most budget solution that would run the game smoothly at max settings at that FPS?

GW2 at maximum? Such components do not exist.Jokes aside, if you tell people your budget they might be able to provide better "best bang for your buck" answers.CPU is important so the new Ryzen CPUs are a must I suppose, they also like fast RAM. SSD is a must. Get a decent power supply and spend the rest on the GPU.

@"Friday.7864" said:GW2 at maximum? Such components do not exist.Jokes aside, if you tell people your budget they might be able to provide better "best bang for your buck" answers.CPU is important so the new Ryzen CPUs are a must I suppose, they also like fast RAM. SSD is a must. Get a decent power supply and spend the rest on the GPU.

Thanks!

I don't really have a "budget" per se, i just want to gauge people's opinions on how to spend as little money as possible to get the most out of it.But this is helpful, to know that i need a fast CPU and RAM. I didn't know that GW2 guzzles those lol. Thanks! That will help me make a decision!

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Friday.7864" said:GW2 at maximum? Such components do not exist.Jokes aside, if you tell people your budget they might be able to provide better "best bang for your buck" answers.CPU is important so the new Ryzen CPUs are a must I suppose, they also like fast RAM. SSD is a must. Get a decent power supply and spend the rest on the GPU.

Thanks!

I don't really have a "budget" per se, i just want to gauge people's opinions on how to spend as little money as possible to get the most out of it.But this is helpful, to know that i need a fast CPU and RAM. I didn't know that GW2 guzzles those lol. Thanks! That will help me make a decision!

GW2 does benefit from a CPU with good single thread performance. And Ryzen CPU's work better with faster RAM - I wouldn't make fast RAM a priority tho if the price difference is huge.

^^^ +1ryzen 5600xJust get a X570 am4 board, the b550 cost about the same anyways.rx5700xt(or rx5700)16gb/32gb (flare X, CL14 whatever frequency, with the original dx12 mod, i got up to 13gb of ram usage)a 240gb SSD HD($30) or 120gb m.2($15-$30) good enoughthink a simple(corsair or thermaltake from bestbuy) 6t50w PSU good enough to run the setup.

I would not buy a X570 board unless you need multiple PCIE 4.0 SSDs. You can get very well featured B550 boards < $180 such as

• ~$160 MSI B550M Mortar (highest rated on Hardwareunboxed/techspot for <$160), $150 B550 Gaming Plus (note cheaper ALC892 audio codec , 1G LAN) , ~$180 B550 Tomahawk (if you plan on getting 16 core in future with overclock)
  • ~$130 Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P (not regular mATX Pro , the new one with 10 powerstages for CPU and 2.5G LAN on box which is B08L74NCPQ on Amazon) , ~$155 B550 Aorus Elite , ~$170 Aorus Pro if looking at 16 cores in future
  • ~$150 Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS , $185 for B550-F GAMING only if you plan on 16 cores
  • ~$175 ASRock B550 Steel Legend

Plus you won't need to worry at all about the chipset fan on basically every X570 board.

I also would not get a SSD smaller than 500GB. There's NvMe drives that are running ~$70 for 500GB with close to top tier performance such as Hynix P31. , let alone slower SATA (Crucial MX500 or Samsung 850 evo / 860 evo for example) and QLC based NvMe drives such as Crucial P1 / Intel 660p.

There's supposedly a Ryzen 5 5600 non-x coming in 2021 for ~$220 so if your budget is tight I would wait.

Ryzen memory compatibility has matured a lot since the first gen. You can get 3600 CL16 or 3600 CL 18 and be fine , you don't need 3200C14 or 3800 MT/s.see https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/

I also would not get any Navi-based AMD GPU because up til recently there was non-existent DX9 support which meant people were forced to use dx9 to d12 conversions or dxvk for Linux. The RTX cards from Nvidia whether they are Turing 2000 series or Ampere 3000 series have had better support for legacy titles. Would be looking at ~$220 GTX 1660 Super at a minimum, maybe RTX 2060 Super (basically RTX 2070) if you can get it non-gouged (it's supposed to be around $330-380 not $600) or RTX 3060 / RTX 3050 Ti when it comes out for two monitors at 2k (1440p) if you intend to turn up settings. GTX 1650 Super / GTX 1660 are generally for 1080p.

• GALAX's internal roadmap had RTX 3060 positioned near RTX 2080.

Running Gw2 at max is not advisable imo..At best I'd say high is where you wanna aim for due to needlessly adding performance drops pushing for minor visual improvements.

There is so much skill spam, effects and other things in the game that will overwhelm even beefy computers.. that's why many large events start to lag out for most players.Frozen Maw being so notorious for this that people regularly joke about the FPS drop while fighting it.

When it comes to hardware though you want to focus on CPU more than GPU.You'll also want higher speed rather than more cores since GW2 doesn't take advantage of multi core CPU's as well as other games do so high speed CPU's are far more advisable than more cores for this game.

2k resolution is 2048 x 1080. Such a resolution standard does not exist in PC gaming. Are we talking about 2560x1440 here? This is called WQHD.

For WQHD:Ryzen 5 5600X - 300 dollarsthe cheapest B550 board - 120 Dollars16GiB DDR4 3600 CL16 Ram - 80 Dollars (these Ram specs are currently the price/performance sweet spot)Radeon RX 5700 (non XT) or Geforce RTX 2060 - 300 Dollars (you could save 100 dollars here and buy a GTX 1660S)= 800 Dollars (700 with the 1660S)

Or in short: the fastest 6 core CPU (GW2 won't benefit from more cores) on the market and a midrange GPU is optimal for GW2 at WQHD.

@"Infusion.7149" said:I would not buy a X570 board unless you need multiple PCIE 4.0 SSDs. You can get very well featured B550 boards < $180 such as

• ~$160 MSI B550M Mortar (highest rated on Hardwareunboxed/techspot for <$160), $150 B550 Gaming Plus (note cheaper ALC892 audio codec , 1G LAN) , ~$180 B550 Tomahawk (if you plan on getting 16 core in future with overclock)
  • ~$130 Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P (not regular mATX Pro , the new one with 10 powerstages for CPU and 2.5G LAN on box which is B08L74NCPQ on Amazon) , ~$155 B550 Aorus Elite , ~$170 Aorus Pro if looking at 16 cores in future
  • ~$150 Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS , $185 for B550-F GAMING only if you plan on 16 cores
  • ~$175 ASRock B550 Steel Legend

Plus you won't need to worry at all about the chipset fan on basically every X570 board.

I also would not get a SSD smaller than 500GB. There's NvMe drives that are running ~$70 for 500GB with close to top tier performance such as Hynix P31. , let alone slower SATA (Crucial MX500 or Samsung 850 evo / 860 evo for example) and QLC based NvMe drives such as Crucial P1 / Intel 660p.

There's supposedly a Ryzen 5 5600 non-x coming in 2021 for ~$220 so if your budget is tight I would wait.

Ryzen memory compatibility has matured a lot since the first gen. You can get 3600 CL16 or 3600 CL 18 and be fine , you don't need 3200C14 or 3800 MT/s.see https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/

I also would not get any Navi-based AMD GPU because up til recently there was non-existent DX9 support which meant people were forced to use dx9 to d12 conversions or dxvk for Linux. The RTX cards from Nvidia whether they are Turing 2000 series or Ampere 3000 series have had better support for legacy titles. Would be looking at ~$220 GTX 1660 Super at a minimum, maybe RTX 2060 Super (basically RTX 2070) if you can get it non-gouged (it's supposed to be around $330-380 not $600) or RTX 3060 / RTX 3050 Ti when it comes out for two monitors at 2k (1440p) if you intend to turn up settings. GTX 1650 Super / GTX 1660 are generally for 1080p.

• GALAX's internal roadmap had RTX 3060 positioned near RTX 2080.

I don't need multiple 4.0 SSDs, if that's the only difference, i'll go witht he cheaper one as i won't be able to fully utilize 4.0 anyway.I currently have a Samsung EVO, 250GB where i put my OS and programs. GW2 is on there as well.For now it'll do.

Thank you for explaining the rest as well! I have a lot of research to do! :smile:For instance, i had no idea AMD GPU cards had issues with DX12. Not that GW2 supports it anyway but still.

@Teratus.2859 said:Running Gw2 at max is not advisable imo..At best I'd say high is where you wanna aim for due to needlessly adding performance drops pushing for minor visual improvements.

There is so much skill spam, effects and other things in the game that will overwhelm even beefy computers.. that's why many large events start to lag out for most players.Frozen Maw being so notorious for this that people regularly joke about the FPS drop while fighting it.

When it comes to hardware though you want to focus on CPU more than GPU.You'll also want higher speed rather than more cores since GW2 doesn't take advantage of multi core CPU's as well as other games do so high speed CPU's are far more advisable than more cores for this game.

Well not Max, but still, high quality preset that's relatively stable. I'm not talking about Lion's Lag or WvW here, i know those will lag on whatever, but i'd like the rest of the game to look and play nice. Right now i'm dealing with extreme FPS drops that make it hard to play anything, even the story instances. It's understandable that skill spam will affect that, but in calmer situations i still have like 15 FPS even at the lowest settings which is weird because even with an older card i didn't have such low FPS, but whatever.

Thanks about the advice about the CPU and its speed. I doubt i'll really get to utilize anything above 6 cores anyway, but i'll aim for the higher speed per core.

@KrHome.1920 said:2k resolution is 2048 x 1080. Such a resolution standard does not exist in PC gaming. Are we talking about 2560x1440 here? This is called WQHD.

For WQHD:Ryzen 5 5600X - 300 dollarsthe cheapest B550 board - 120 Dollars16GiB DDR4 3600 CL16 Ram - 80 Dollars (these Ram specs are currently the price/performance sweet spot)Radeon RX 5700 (non XT) or Geforce RTX 2060 - 300 Dollars (you could save 100 dollars here and buy a GTX 1660S)= 800 Dollars (700 with the 1660S)

Or in short: the fastest 6 core CPU (GW2 won't benefit from more cores) on the market and a midrange GPU is optimal for GW2 at WQHD.

Yes, i meant WQHD, the monitors are new, i didn't know what that was called so i just wrote 2k.Thank you for the suggestions!

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:2k resolution is 2048 x 1080. Such a resolution standard does not exist in PC gaming. Are we talking about 2560x1440 here? This is called WQHD.

2K probably means 1920x1080p in the same way as it's numerically wrong but all the same
common
to call 3840x2160 "4K".

I meant WQHD, the poster before corrected me. The resolution is 2560 x 1440 on desktop, so that's what i aim to run GW2 on as HD doesn't really look good stretched on a 32" monitor.

@"dusanyu.4057" said:To play gw2 you can get away with a used i5 dell optiplex from ebay and toss in a old GTX 750 Ti this is a 8 year old game

To "play" sure. But i want it to "play more stable".I can "play" it now, but even in some non demanding situations i get huge FPS drops that really make the experience horrid.

Also, for reference to everyone, this is my "potato" now:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2 Ghz8 GB DDR3Samsung EVO SSD (don't know the sped, but the slower one)IDK about the motherboardAMD Radeon R7 260X 1 GB

So you can see it's kinda bad.I know it's supposed to run an 8 year old game "just fine" but it doesn't and i need to upgrade to something sooner or later.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:2k resolution is 2048 x 1080. Such a resolution standard does not exist in PC gaming. Are we talking about 2560x1440 here? This is called WQHD.

2K probably means 1920x1080p in the same way as it's numerically wrong but all the same
common
to call 3840x2160 "4K".

I meant WQHD, the poster before corrected me. The resolution is 2560 x 1440 on desktop, so that's what i aim to run GW2 on as HD doesn't really look good stretched on a 32" monitor.

Fair enough, although the linear diagonal dimension of the monitor isn't important(1). What's important in this context is the aspect ratio - if the monitor is 16:9 in physical dimensions, you'll be good, but e.g. 21:9 or (as we get complaints about sometimes on the SWTOR forums) 32:9 (3840x1080), then you'll have problems.

The other source of problems is unsquare pixels, of which the classic is 1280x1024 (5:4 pixels) on a 4:3 (inches, usually 17" diagonal) CRT monitor. And yes, there are panels with unsquare native-resolution pixels. It's worth noting that among the many pieces of information in the EDID sent by the screen to the computer, you can find information about the linear dimensions...

(1) My 3840x2160 16:9 screens are 28 inches each.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:To "play" sure. But i want it to "play more stable".I can "play" it now, but even in some non demanding situations i get huge FPS drops that really make the experience horrid.

The FPS drops will remain regardless of the hardware used, because the game is not optimized for best performance. However, with higher-end hardware, those FPS drops are less noticeable because the overall performance is higher.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:2k resolution is 2048 x 1080. Such a resolution standard does not exist in PC gaming. Are we talking about 2560x1440 here? This is called WQHD.

common
to call 3840x2160 "4K".

Fair enough, although the linear diagonal dimension of the monitor isn't important(1). What's important in this context is the aspect ratio - if the monitor is 16:9 in physical dimensions, you'll be good, but e.g. 21:9 or (as we get complaints about sometimes on the SWTOR forums) 32:9 (3840x1080),
then
you'll have problems.

The other source of problems is unsquare pixels, of which the classic is 1280x1024 (5:4 pixels) on a 4:3 (inches, usually 17" diagonal) CRT monitor. And yes, there
are
panels with unsquare native-resolution pixels. It's worth noting that among the many pieces of information in the EDID sent by the screen to the computer, you can find information about the linear dimensions...

(1) My 3840x2160 16:9 screens are 28 inches each.

Yeah, the resolutions on monitors nowdays can get crazy complicated. I should have stated more clearly what i have.It's anormal 16:9 1:1 square pixel monitor, it just has WQHD resolution.So the proportions are still normal, shouldn't look stretched, the resolution is just higher than 1920 x 1080.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:To "play" sure. But i want it to "play more stable".I can "play" it now, but even in some non demanding situations i get huge FPS drops that really make the experience horrid.

The FPS drops will remain regardless of the hardware used, because the game is not optimized for best performance. However, with higher-end hardware, those FPS drops are less noticeable because the overall performance is higher.

I'm not too worried about FPS drops if they're tiny or slighlty noticable, but what i'm getting right now (and again, not even consistently) are 1-3 seconds of frozen screens in some instances.

And like i said, it's not even consistent.For example, i bought LW3 story recently and i've been doing Bloodstone Fen.One time i can have a stable FPS at medium to high settings (not 60 but around 30-40), and the other times, with nothing seemingly changed i get freezes especially when i turn the camera.

Idk, maybe my hardware is "ok" for an 8 year old game, maybe Anet should optimise the engine a bit more, then we'd all have more stable experiences.I mean, if you say that FPS drops will happen regardless. Then it's not really the user's fault is it?True, they'll be more noticable on potato hardware, but if even the high end computers have it, then isn't that the engine's fault?

You will notice big improvements with the PC I posted. Maxxed out at 1440p, just with shadows and reflections disabled (both are CPU intense settings) it will be almost impossible to drop below 20 fps in the absolute worst case (world boss or wvw fights with 100 players on the screen).

During normal solo or 5 to 10 player gameplay you will achieve a stable 75 fps on your 75 Hz Monitor with the settings above.

i dont really think you need cpu for 300usd to play gw2, as someone already mentioned, some older optiplex with some GTX card (e.g. 960), 8gb of ram should do the job very well. just get any intel 4core cpu at least, later then i5-2500, and it will do the job well. if you want to invest more, get card like gtx 2070, you should see FPS improvementsdont fall into the nonsense that you dont need good graphic card for this game because its cpu rendered.. its nonsne, gpu matter a lot

@Alchymista.8192 said:i dont really think you need cpu for 300usd to play gw2, as someone already mentioned, some older optiplex with some GTX card (e.g. 960), 8gb of ram should do the job very well. just get any intel 4core cpu at least, later then i5-2500, and it will do the job well. if you want to invest more, get card like gtx 2070, you should see FPS improvementsdont fall into the nonsense that you dont need good graphic card for this game because its cpu rendered.. its nonsne, gpu matter a lotPairing an i5 2500 with an RTX 2070 (there exist no GTX 2070) in GW2 is the dumbest thing you can do. That CPU will limit the GPU even in 2160p (UHD) and the OP is playing in 1440p (WQHD) which has 50% lower GPU demands. So much wasted GPU performance...

Even for non CPU heavy games the combination of 2500 and 2070 is an extremely unbalanced setup and no one with basic PC building knowledge would recommend it. When you are CPU bound even in 4K, then you know you did something wrong and that's exactly what will happen with your suggested setup.

Please stop giving advices, when you have absolutely no idea what you are taking about. People might waste a lot of money based on your posting.

@Alchymista.8192 said:i dont really think you need cpu for 300usd to play gw2, as someone already mentioned, some older optiplex with some GTX card (e.g. 960), 8gb of ram should do the job very well. just get any intel 4core cpu at least, later then i5-2500, and it will do the job well. if you want to invest more, get card like gtx 2070, you should see FPS improvementsdont fall into the nonsense that you dont need good graphic card for this game because its cpu rendered.. its nonsne, gpu matter a lot

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Alchymista.8192 said:i dont really think you need cpu for 300usd to play gw2, as someone already mentioned, some older optiplex with some GTX card (e.g. 960), 8gb of ram should do the job very well. just get any intel 4core cpu at least, later then i5-2500, and it will do the job well. if you want to invest more, get card like gtx 2070, you should see FPS improvementsdont fall into the nonsense that you dont need good graphic card for this game because its cpu rendered.. its nonsne, gpu matter a lotPairing an i5 2500 with an RTX 2070 (there exist no GTX 2070) in GW2 is the dumbest thing you can do. That CPU will limit the GPU even in 2160p (UHD) and the OP is playing in 1440p (WQHD) which has 50% lower GPU demands. So much wasted GPU performance...

Even for non CPU heavy games the combination of 2500 and 2070 is an extremely unbalanced setup and no one with basic PC building knowledge would recommend it. When you are CPU bound even in 4K, then you know you did something wrong and that's exactly what will happen with your suggested setup.

Please stop giving advices, when you have absolutely no idea what you are taking about. People might waste a lot of money based on your posting.

I'm not about to get a 2070 for GW2 lol, FPS improvements or not.It would indeed be a waste of money since i don't plan on really using it.Those cards are for 4k gaming and VR and whatnot, they are toooo overpowered for simple 1 monitor HD or even WQHD gameplay.Plus, i don't plan on spending that much money on a graphics card, i'd rather have a more powerful CPU, not just for gaming but for other uses as well.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Alchymista.8192 said:i dont really think you need cpu for 300usd to play gw2, as someone already mentioned, some older optiplex with some GTX card (e.g. 960), 8gb of ram should do the job very well. just get any intel 4core cpu at least, later then i5-2500, and it will do the job well. if you want to invest more, get card like gtx 2070, you should see FPS improvementsdont fall into the nonsense that you dont need good graphic card for this game because its cpu rendered.. its nonsne, gpu matter a lot

I'm not about to get a 2070 for GW2 lol, FPS improvements or not.It would indeed be a waste of money since i don't plan on really using it.Those cards are for 4k gaming and VR and whatnot, they are toooo overpowered for simple 1 monitor HD or even WQHD gameplay.Plus, i don't plan on spending that much money on a graphics card, i'd rather have a more powerful CPU, not just for gaming but for other uses as well.To be fair, he said "later than" 2500, but it doesn't matter as the i5 3000 series is only 5 to 10% faster than the i5 2000 series.

@KrHome.1920 said:

I'm not about to get a 2070 for GW2 lol, FPS improvements or not.It would indeed be a waste of money since i don't plan on really using it.Those cards are for 4k gaming and VR and whatnot, they are toooo overpowered for simple 1 monitor HD or even WQHD gameplay.Plus, i don't plan on spending that much money on a graphics card, i'd rather have a more powerful CPU, not just for gaming but for other uses as well.To be fair, he said "later than" 2500, but it doesn't matter as the i5 3000 series is only 5 to 10% faster than the i5 2000 series.

Still, i rather just get a good Ryzen, they're pretty good, idk if better than this Intel or not, but i've always been an AMD guy lol, except when it comes to GFX cards, Nvidia wins here. :tongue:

@KrHome.1920 said:Pairing an i5 2500 with an RTX 2070 (there exist no GTX 2070) in GW2 is the dumbest thing you can do. That CPU will limit the GPU even in 2160p (UHD) and the OP is playing in 1440p (WQHD) which has 50% lower GPU demands. So much wasted GPU performance...

that wasnt the nicest thing ive read today, calm your horses next time plsif its cheap and budget, you simply cant waste lot of money on it even if it is waste (see the logic? i dont think so, but thats not important)you just picked up my words out of context, or just dont want to understand the message/meaning, because ive never wrote you should pair i5-2500 with nvidia 2070

but lets talk about it because on the other hand i know actually person who plays gw2 with intel core 2000 series (idk probably i5 or i7) and actually do have nvidia 1070 (or 2070 ? cant remember) and playing mostly just gw2 (mostly WvW !!! ) and he is actually pretty happy with it. we still talk sometimes about upgrade, but somehow we dont see the benefit as it runs just fine for both of usi personaly do have intel i7-3xxx not even overclocked and i actually do play on 1440p and on all highest, and in PvE have around 60 FPS without beeing bottlenecked by CPU, (my half broken AMD GPU is on 100% all the time, 2 cpu cores are mostly up to 80-90% ).

you are trying to say iam wrong but i just see in front of myself it just works, ryzen 5600 cpu is maybe great CPU also for money/performance but you dont really need it to run this game fine on 1440p, especially when there are cheaper options and you want something budget friendly. as i said anything better then i5-2500 will be huge improvement from that AMD he hasdo you really suggest to budget person CPU for 300EUR? are you trolling?also suggesting AMD card for gw2, is just generaly bad advise, overall nvidia just runs better for the same money comparing to AMD graphics card (especially in wvw), thats quite well known

@KrHome.1920 said:"later than" 2500,this include also for example the newest i7-10070..

@KrHome.1920 said:just with shadows and reflections disabled (both are CPU intense settings)During normal solo or 5 to 10 player gameplay you will achieve a stable 75 fps on your 75 Hz Monitor with the settings above.tbh, u serious this is really the performance you will get?used optiplex for 150 dolars and midrange graphics card for 100 dolars will do the same jobnow i need chocolate.. becuase this is so sad

have a nice dayand dont worry i will not open any forum for another half year, as i see ppl here never changes