What do you think of the new Living World: Champions? (spoilers inside) - [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

What do you think of the new Living World: Champions? (spoilers inside) - [Merged]

Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2020 in Living World

What do you guys and girls think about the new Living World: Champions (part 1)?

My personal take:

Honestly I did not expect much from this episode based on the trailer but I didn't realise it would be this bad.

First of all, the download for this patch crawled by with 1 mb/s and lower (while my net is fine, glass fiber and all, location EU if that matters) and I was not the only one. Some had it even at a lower speed.

The episode part 1 literally took me 2-3 hours tops (did it partly in duo and partly solo because my friend basically quit midway).

The story was extremely predictable and seemed written for the target group of kids.

The dragon missions were terrible. Copy paste all 3 of them. Pure punchbags without tactics. They took ages to kill coz of high defence and HP while the fight was boring. I expected at least some tactics. Because they were so boring I thought it would be better by going with pugs. In public I could not play with my friend along and when I entered, the event was already failed with that low timer and at best 2 mobs killed. Tried to make my own LFG. I could only make a party under "champions tab" in "icebrood saga" which requires you to have a squad... BUT these missions only allow 5 ppl..... Squad filled before I could even say 5 ppl only and went into a private map asap hoping all could enter. Nobody was able to enter mine and I was not able to join any others map... Big fail.... Also, when you enter a mission the timer instantly kicks off so setting it up inside is also no option... No group play with friends like with strike missions :anguished:. Eventually I had to solo the whole mission as there was simply no way to play it with semi organised succession in an MMO.

Eventually you hit a part that you have no clue what to do... Talk to an NPC, something bout alliance troops... Then I noticed that community event bar..... 6 days waiting, fill the bar with tokens... I literally wasted all my currencies I got to figure out which "tokens" were meant. It wasn't the defense thingies, it appeared to be them crystals (neither were called tokens). Consistency is far sought.

The masteries seem useless. Just some stat buffs that you will only use inside these missions. But truth be told... After doing them once I already saw enough of them and they are not interesting to actually repeat.

I am really curious about what others think of this release.... For me it was the worst one we ever had so far.

<134

Comments

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

About what I had expected. I figured that they had pulled their living world teams to work on the expansion so this was a low effort way to provide content until it releases.

• Vash.2386Vash.2386 Member ✭✭✭

I came here looking to find out how to continue about the alliance troops thing... read your post. I agree 100% with it.. What a boring grind, once I've finished I won't be back to repeat.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020

I enjoyed the story and dialogue.

The missions were dull with bosses far too much of a HP sponge. They emulate the Forged with Steel mission without any of the interesting design that went with that excellent mission. Plus these don't (appear to) scale. Saw no reason to do CM outside of achievements

All in all, I'm actually surprised it's even more bare bones than expected and that the story/dialogue outclassed the gameplay itself. Not sure delivering a quarter of an episode every 2 months is wise, esp given episodes were already reduced content

The only good thing is I can commit my time to other games now this isn't going to demand anything from me

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

Another thing that I noticed is that you need 30 of those prismaticite crystals per weapon. At around 20 min on average, and only getting one per mission, this means it’ll take 10 hours for one weapon and 150 hours for the rest. The recipe achievement gives you enough material for one weapon.

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Another thing that I noticed is that you need 30 of those prismaticite crystals per weapon. At around 20 min on average, and only getting one per mission, this means it’ll take 10 hours for one weapon and 150 hours for the rest. The recipe achievement gives you enough material for one weapon.

What weapons are you talking about?

• Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's ok. The drm tho are just tanky golems for 5 man and not exactly fun just 5 man strike missions that take 20m with the 5m beginning like fs. I mean I'll do the dailys and it''ll be fast for the 16 recipes then take forever for the weapons to craft. It almost forces you to consider the 50g node which I've never bought from any episode to cut time off. Idk I did 6 reg missions and there's challenge mode so I can't imagine the hp of those golem sponges

WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

• A little short chapter but i'm not suprised since they are working on the new expansion.

That the difficulty isn't high isn't a problem for me since these episode is for all and not only the elite.
    So it's good that the level isn't "too high" like that people can enjoy even if they aren't the elite.

I didn't play the challenge mod for now, but i imagine that it will give some challenge for the elite. For the other, they can play normal without crisis on their keyboard ^^

I must admet that i was thinking that some event was in the real map and not only in instance. A little (very little) dissapointed by that.

The things that i didn't understand as many at first it was "token". They should rename it in the actual currency requested for the actual phase of collecting.
    Happy to hear Aurene again btw :)

The daily seems bring us to all meta and it's a good things like that, meta in older map aren't dead and it's a really good things in my opinion. People can do in same time some achievement that they haven't too etc. So it's a good things for me.

But in general, i'm not disapointed, it's normal. These chapter bring us to the next expansion.

• Elric.4713Elric.4713 Member ✭✭✭

It is as bad as we feared. My only concern going forward is, what does this low quality content mean for EOD?
    Luckily Shadowlands is right around the corner.

👻Legendary Ritualist Stance - Invoke the power of the legendary ritualist Master Togo.

• I was excited at first but once I've seen the AQ gate I was just simply disappointed.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Aaralyna.3104 said:
    Honestly I did not expect much from this episode based on the trailer but I didn't realise it would be this bad.

I think that sums it up perfectly.

I am really curious about what others think of this release.... For me it was the worst one we ever had so far.

Yeh, Season 5 has already set the bar low, but this episode was the worst.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• @thehipone.6812 said:
    There's the home instance node too. Which (as if they couldn't figure out enough ways to aggravate players) only drops 1 crystal per gather over the entire node. i.e., got the prismatic crystal on first strike, butsecond and third strikes gave junk items - one gravel, one stone.

Similar for me: 1 crystal and 2 gravel.

• Was super hyped for this release, actually thought the missions were going to be meta events in the old maps, not instances that don't allow squads..
    The missions take too long, boring without mechanics and not rewarding. Steel hum all over again..

The volcanic weapons are more cloud than skin and again just a recolor of an existing weapon with some effects on top. Crystal bloom axe looked sick in trailer, like an elven executioner axe. While in-game it's a woodchopper axe..

Overall, the update felt like copy and paste with a lot of potential but wrong execution.. :s

• @Aaralyna.3104 said:
    What do you guys and girls think about the new Living World: Champions (part 1)?

I login, downloaded it, did raids with my static team, and left the game till next week clear.
    I wont touch this "content" if people actualy call it like that.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

What weapons are you talking about?

The ones for the achievement.

Also unsurprisingly enough, outside of the achievements, doing the CMs for these don't appear to be worth it as the loot is pretty much the same.

• Solanum.6983Solanum.6983 Member ✭✭✭

I had fun but I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed.
    I know there's more to come in the coming weeks but If it's focused on the response missions then I've kind of lost interest. The Missions themselves I don't see myself doing again, They're fun to do once for the story but that's just it, they're a repeatable story instance that to me are quite boring to replay and are not rewarding.

My hope is this is all just a kind of prologue building up primordus in the Chapter for a much bigger finale.

You're going to have like seven more response missions as things to unlock so be prepared for more of the same.

• radda.8920radda.8920 Member ✭✭✭

a shame, a disaster, a total boredom.
    6 months to put up with this kind of content ... cantha seems far away

• Damage spongy enemies, and bosses so dull I actually played dead through the third mission and went off to do something else. I'm going to have to do the third one over, because I apparently took a perfectly logical shortcut to Ascalon Settlement and missed the mastery point. Le whee.

Somehow they made something even more boring than the original strike missions.

There is one thing though: the writing was obnoxious enough that I've developed the same detestation for the NPCs that all of my guildmates have.

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭✭

Good idea, bad execution, too tedious.

• ParadoX.3124ParadoX.3124 Member ✭✭✭

Bosses felt like Taida's door. Too much HP, no mecanics, just hit for 5 mins. Masteries are useless, we can't even grind the exp for next next lvls since they are locked.
    I'm not surprised since they are working on expansion.

• JusticeRetroHunter.7684JusticeRetroHunter.7684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:
    Give me PROPER STORY!!!!!!

I've only completed the first mission so far...

and I agree with giving a proper story...the writing for gw2 has never been good. I could give a number of reasons why, but its mostly because of a lack of understanding how to make a good story.

This story is very much a soap opera drama. The dragon's and their conversations with us and each other undermine what they were really intended to be at the beginning....massive and Lovecraftian forces of nature. We shouldn't be so buddy buddy with the all the dragons and their tiny problems...it doesn't make sense. Half the continent should be annihilated by now, and the player characters should be scared of them...Characters shouldn't be arguing about which dragon to kill next after they have a little tea-party with their friend and groan about their relationship with their comrade...they should be arguing about abandoning the mission to save their own families...or killing each other over limited resources...food...for self survival.

Now i havn't played the entire chapter yet, so i won't go much further than that...but these are problems that arise from a poor understanding of creating stories. Not that the writers themselves are bad writers...i just think the writers are trying their best with what's basically a steaming pile of cats, and their doing the best with what they got...when really what they need is a complete rethinking of what the story is about.

NOT public group content!!!

I liked the idea of the group aspect of the content here...but the content isn't engaging enough for people to actually speak with each other. I also don't like the idea of forced grouping because that's inauthentic, grouping should happen naturally not artificially like how it's done here.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

I assume there is no new map. Correct? I have not played in a while and was wondering if there is a new map.

• @otto.5684 said:
    I assume there is no new map. Correct? I have not played in a while and was wondering if there is a new map.

Yep, no new map.

Carcharoth Lucian/Mini Chibii
    Ruin of Surmia world
    PvE : [CdL] Les Chasseurs De Légendes
    WvW : [MIMs] Mobile Ingénieuse Et Marteau

• Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

Was hoping for at least some new varieties of destroyer, the new masteries seem potentially interesting I guess. Just seems very low effort.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:
    The story itself was ok, but there's a few things that I didn't like.

First off, the incorporation of instanced multiplayer content in storyline is a trend that I extremely dislike.
    I want to play the story when I want, where I want, how I want and with whom I want.
    The fact the 3 missions are implemented in the story was a HUGE dissapointment for me.
    With no friends on to form a proper party, I either had to wait, or play with strangers in public mode
    I am a FIRM believer that story should be SOLO content with the OPTION to do in party.

The second thing are the bosses.
    They are merely DPS sponges. It didn't feel like I was fighting a boss, it felt like I was trying to tear down a wall with a toothpick. Very easy shortcut design.

Thirdly too many loose ends.

• Hardly any explanation what the home node is for
    • New currency in Crystal Bloom Support Marks that do NOT go to wallet.
    • Green markers on the maps in Metrica, Brisban and Gendarran but NO explanation that it can ONLY be done through Eye of the North. Why are they even there then??
    • Gendarran opening felt extremely bugged. I only got 10% of the damage I normally do. Only when the boss (again a grind MACHINE) came into play the numbers normalized. From what I saw, the others in my party had similar issues.

If the rest of the story is similar, that it's sorta instanced group content you MUST do to progress... with NO SERIOUS option to play solo as you EXPECT in story...
    Then I hope this grindfest ends QUICKLY.

Give me PROPER STORY!!!!!!
    NOT public group content!!!

It's a shame, because it could've been so much better.
    I hated when that one strike mission for story demanded playing with a squad, I hate this one demands playing with a party.
    (We all know the 1 to 5 means forget about 1... not happening)

The mission is 1-5 people tho so just got private by yourself.

@Tsakhi.8124 said:
    It's okay. It didn't blow me away and it didn't disappoint me. I noticed that the enemies were HP sponges, too, so I started to look for any strategies to bring them down quickly and found the following: The first boss goes down a bit quicker if you borrow a golem from the golemancer, stun the boss, do some damage, rinse/repeat; it still didn't do much more damage, but it made it a lot easier to keep things in check. Skill 2 interrupts the enemy, making its break bar go down quicker. The second boss is a bit easier because the fern puppers drain the break bar (i think) and do a set amount of damage. The third one was a grind and I really couldn't find a way to bring it down any quicker than I was (I'm playing a Healbrand, so I ended up just cheesing some of it by reflecting the damage back at it when it was doing its AoE. It's possible that the fire tornadoes may damage it, but I don't know how. I soloed the instances because I wanted to see what I need to do before I went in with a group.

Also: I wouldn't judge an expansion by an episode you don't like. I don't know why people love to jump conclusions. I swear to the gods you people can be so overly dramatic.

2 post above yours disproves your forget about one.

I'll cut out the important part.

I soloed the instances because I wanted to see what I need to do before I went in with a group.

Anet have recognized that the bosses are hp sponges, appearently a bug. The latest build fixes it.

• Being forced to do strike missions that are extremely boring isnt my idea of fun. Every single one I have been in already has afkers doing nothing to help out, and there is nothing on the report feature that allows to report for afking/leeching) This release has been nothing but a huge let down. 2/10 (and the 2 is for the raptor skin cause the strike missions are a flop and time gates suck) At least Assassin's Creed Valhalla is out cause I cant be bothered with this stupid grind

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

By far the most rushed content in the game.

I do not buy this story that they are committed to expansion, if its the case, it was better to delay the expansion.

once i complete the history, i would prefer continue farm the Drizzlewood for gold.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Ogwom.7940Ogwom.7940 Member ✭✭✭

This episode was quite disappointing for me. No new content, a 3rd redo of Stormcaller skins, plus another weapon set. and some more useless masteries that you won't be able to use anywhere else in the game, except the Dragon Response Missions that no one will play.

Can we get masteries that will improve our characters on all PvE modes? Some sort of progression?
    Can we get new armor sets? They were doing so well with the more simplistic armor pieces such as: Norn Shaman Armor, Charr, Dragonrender and Khan Ur helms and the Stone Summit armor. Right now we just have so many weapon sets that are way too flashy.
    I was hoping that they would be improving some core maps, so we would have some incentive to go back there. Putting the mobs from the Dragon Response Missions into the core maps wouldn't hurt the game since those are places where you find destroyers anyways. It gives good contrast and also would make the Dragon Minions feel like an actual threat in open world.

The dialogue was okay, but they talked about stuff we already knew. No new interesting subjects were brought up.

I feel bad about complaining about these things since it is a buy-once-play-always-for free game. I just don't want to see it go downhill just yet.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

The Sunday after each Living Story drop, my guild gets together to enjoy the new large group (25+) open world content together. It is the thing I (and many) look forward to most. This is the first time in a long time that we will have nothing new to do together - and for that reason alone, this is my least favorite living story chapter ever. GW2 is about what I can do in large open world groups (not instanced) with my guild - without that, it really isn't appealing to me. Hopefully this isn't a new trend.

• They should have put a party LFG under Living World: Icebrood Saga. People were trying to set up squads because they did not realize you could only do these in parties.

Where is the volcanic stormcaller weapons comming from?

• This chapter is almost a insult to the release concept, the missions dont have the little silly achievements we all love, the rewards for doing challenges are not worth it and are tooooo long, the lfg system doesnt work for party size, you can complete everything in less than 3 hrs, the mastery line is there but you cant keep upgrading it (and so far mastery gives you nothing), the weapons are meh and the mission tracker is stuck at some point.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't happy, to be honest. The concept initially shows promise (open world pandamonium), but just boils down to "follow the npc, kill enemy camps, fight the health sponge knockdown spam boss 3 times"

I think they should have expanded on the opening concept - a 5 to 10 minute war where you have to save as much property/life as possible, while assisting the hero with their mission while you can.

• I agree it's underwhelming, even with my expectations low. There's just not much here, the missions are boring, the story lines are childish and don't advance much plot, the achievements are grindy, there's no reason to have the wait for ebon vanguard rewards, and the weapons collections are ridiculous in time (way too much prismaticite compared to what you can get) and/or investment (is the volcanic stormcaller box really just a random drop?).

I'm an achievement hunter and there's a certain amount of grind and investment I'm prepared to deal with, but really there's just nothing here BUT grind and investment.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

No problem, now I have a use for my 53 bags of Icebrood Saga Materials

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Strikes died for this ;-;

• @LucianDK.8615 said:
    Where is the volcanic stormcaller weapons comming from?

Random loot from dragon missions apparently...

Carcharoth Lucian/Mini Chibii
    Ruin of Surmia world
    PvE : [CdL] Les Chasseurs De Légendes
    WvW : [MIMs] Mobile Ingénieuse Et Marteau

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

What do I think? It's all a bit boring, just those 3 near identical missions. I won't be contributing much to advance the progress bar. Here's hoping the next few weeks will be adding some more interesting and substantial stuff.