What do you think of the new Living World: Champions? (spoilers inside) - [Merged] - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

What do you think of the new Living World: Champions? (spoilers inside) - [Merged]

Comments

• Makuragee.3058Makuragee.3058 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020

They feel cheap. Im down with no new map, if its mean they can have better story/content. But this aint none, its just some vanilla open world event, but in a instance.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020

It reminds me a lot of Season 1: a short story piece as an introduction to reoccuring events, which are part of the story and also replayable for rewards and achievements. The only differences are that these missions are instanced instead of happening in the open world maps, and will be around forever instead of disappearing after a month. Even the timer for the bonus rewards, which encourages players to get on and play them now makes it feel like season 1.

It's pretty basic compared to season 2 and onwards, but it also looks like we haven't gotten the complete release yet and more will be coming on Tuesday. For now I'm curious about how it will play out and kind of excited by the idea of an 'episode' which develops in real time, but without the pressure to get it all done because it will vanish soon and I'll never be able to finish it.

And if it's not enough to keep my occupied that's ok because I've got tons of older stuff to complete, and GW2 has never been my only game anyway. I've never expected this one game to take up all my free time and keep me interested indefinitely, if I'm bored with it I'll just do something else. (Which again makes me glad the updates are permanent and not a full return to season 1, where I felt like I had to complete as much as possible because if I ever changed my mind later it would be too late.)

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• ron.6157ron.6157 Member ✭✭

I soo need to add to this ill start with now that they have found a way to add LWS season one back in to the play list of the game kodos NOW SO SO as for LWS5
    ok can some one please get that ball pumped up cuse when you drop it its spose to bounce not go splat i find the story line went flat in HoT you made me cry over the loss of Eir you made me want to punch Bhram in the face then you made me cry some more at Eirs wake who knew Bhram was afrade of spiders LAMO then you made me in joy killing joko and Balthazar kitten you made me cry agen when aurne got killed then i got to thinking wate she ate joko was never more happy to be right on that as for LWS5 to date the story was good mmm 2.5 stars out of 5 well that was till ep5 chapter one now its more like .5 stars out of 5 i get all this covid kittens makes life hard but the ida is to top this epic story off not let it fade in to darkness for the sake of the six gods i hope this ends with an epic BOOM and the new Xpack keeps that BOOM been playing GW far to long helping gwen find her flute some 14+ years A go now i dear you make me laugh make me cry make me hate an NPC so much i want to rip his face off with my bear hands I DEAR YOU Hell I DOBLE DEAR YOU

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

Probably a hyper-focused comment, but I'm mostly concerned about having enough master points available for me to get everything on the list. The one that has be concerned is Shooting Star. Not so much by itself, but the fact that there were 5 available points, and '2' of them are fairly difficult, either economically or overly difficult content. So I'm just concerned about having enough available points for everyday people.

Unless, the last thing on the list is an ability you only use in elite content, then that's fine, but then I wish they'd wall it off in the same way the raid ones are walled off (i.e., I don't see them). Though, I would be sad if they keep adding more mastery points that separate people. It stands, at least for me, at 8 right now.

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• I quit the story. I don't want to have that green story prompt just sitting there for weeks until new content is released. I might not even do the story until I hear there is an end of chapter included in the new bit. I am definitely not grinding the new content for things that aren't unlocked, not in advance of knowing how much to grind or whether the grind is worth it. Considering I haven't gone back to get all the masteries or mastery points this season, I must be pretty disappointed with the content and all the grind.

• Worse than planting little signs...
    That says a lot.

• Friday.7864Friday.7864 Member ✭✭✭

I just wish they would stop rushing to release content.
    Take your time, release some fixes, quality of life updates, events or collections for older maps in the meantime while we wait.

• I thought it was the most lame content yet. Anet has failed once again! I do not agree with locking masteries behind purchasing items. This feels like a tax! Also making it contingent on a community and not leaving it to an individuals ability to complete the content. This only hurts future and current players that have not finished their LWS stories in order. There will not be enough of the community in future to achieve any goal. Hell there isn't enough interest in this lame content to achieve the current one in a 6 day timer that didn't mean kitten.
    I currently have 11 of the last 17 mastery points in the IBS mastery track. IMHO we should be allowed to advance at our own pace wither we work through it once or do it til we are so bored we quit the game. Without any affirmation from Anet as to what is exactly going on we are left to speculation which leads to further discontent. Not that Anet gives two squirrels nuts about what we think or want. It is all about the shareholders and making them money and not about game balance or the customer. I feel we need to PROTEST ANET AND REFUSE TO GIVE THEM ANYMORE OF OUR MONEY TIL THEY GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. If we hit them where they live {in the pocket book} they may change the kitten they are giving us. Just my personal observation.

• Imo, what we could get is Season 1, but better: the alive world, but repayable. Anet has already instruments for that.

What we really got is just the worst episode in gw2.

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Orbdweller.8674 said:
    I thought it was the most lame content yet. Anet has failed once again! I do not agree with locking masteries behind purchasing items. This feels like a tax! Also making it contingent on a community and not leaving it to an individuals ability to complete the content. This only hurts future and current players that have not finished their LWS stories in order. There will not be enough of the community in future to achieve any goal. Hell there isn't enough interest in this lame content to achieve the current one in a 6 day timer that didn't mean kitten.
    I currently have 11 of the last 17 mastery points in the IBS mastery track. IMHO we should be allowed to advance at our own pace wither we work through it once or do it til we are so bored we quit the game. Without any affirmation from Anet as to what is exactly going on we are left to speculation which leads to further discontent. Not that Anet gives two squirrels nuts about what we think or want. It is all about the shareholders and making them money and not about game balance or the customer. I feel we need to PROTEST ANET AND REFUSE TO GIVE THEM ANYMORE OF OUR MONEY TIL THEY GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. If we hit them where they live {in the pocket book} they may change the kitten they are giving us. Just my personal observation.

Could have the opposite effect too. How happy would you be if they advised of EoD being cancelled and GW2 ends production.

I’ll reserve complete judgement of IBS until everything is over and complete.

• wolfyrik.2017wolfyrik.2017 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020

I quit from boredom after the first two fights, after several days I forced myself to do the third to get it over with and hopefully get to some story, but that's all there was. If there was any lore or relevant dialogue in there then I missed it because it was so busy and happening at the same time as the overly long, tedious fights and all the other nonsense.
    The DRMs are drab, boring, unrewarding slogs which aren't worth playing, let alone replaying. It's like they've smashed open world together with strike missions in all the worst possible ways.

If there is story, it doesn't seem to be worth going through all that again. I guess I'll pickup the story and try to fill in the blanks in January. Here's hoping that WP does a story break down like he did for the recent Fractal.

• Worst content ANET has ever put out. I don't know if because you are understaffed. Poor management. Poor Planning. But ANET has dropped the ball on the Ice brood Saga. I have guild members who are die hard GW2 fans... the disappointment they have for this 10 minutes of content is saddening. I've been here since launch. Played GW1. If you think I'm going to spend money on gems for kitten content. You are mistaken. Let Ryland deal with this mess... commanders going to go play some WoW.

• I stopped playing it at the DRM.

• evlover.6270evlover.6270 Member ✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020

Aside from how it's related to other LS or from the fights themselves, there are just way too many issues with this episode. It feels incredibly rushed and has a lot of things that need to be (or could be) addressed.

• After the events at the start are done, you don't have anything to do for 1-1:30mins, just make it progress once the 3 events are done.
    • In public mode: people join and just go afk once parties are locked and you can't do anything about it. You either need to do it with less people and let them leech or go out to find another instance, start over again and hope you don't get paired with afk'ers again. Just make it a party instead of a personal instance so you can kick the afk'ers.
    • In private mode: you can't rejoin after a dc, again, make it party content instead of instance so people can actually rejoin.
    • Turn the "Champions" lfg section into party instead of squad cause it's 5-man content, not squad content. Or worst case if that's not possible, move it to Central Tyria section instead of Living World Icebrood Saga cause people already lfg overthere anyway.
    • The daily for doing any of the 3 Response missions should be changed into doing the 3 unique ones. Now everyone just does the Metrica one 3 times cause that one's the shortest.
    • Vicious claws and destroyer lodestones drop way too often, decrease the droprate or make an extra sink.
    • Volcanic stormcaller boxes have the description of its contents being account bound, yet they are tradable. Either adjust description or make them actually account bound.
    • Continueing on the previous point: in case they would become account bound, add a more reliable way of getting them than just as a (very) rare drop when there's a collection behind it. Possibility: purchasable from vendor for a number of tyrian defense seals + destroyer lodestones. Other possibility: add a pity system like at dragonfall. One box guaranteed after X amount of missions and actually make it a repeatable one (like one box every 100 missions, if you do each one once/day, that means ~33 days for a guaranteed box, plenty of time invested to justify one account bound weapon I'd say). Off topic: make the one at dragonfall repeatable too while you're at it, handing out an aurene weapon box for each 1k chests a person opens instead of only the first 1k really won't hurt the game, on the contrary..

And maybe, just maybe, make a pool of people playing the game since launch or over 5 years so you can pull a number of people ahead of every release to actually pre-test stuff and voice their opinions/concerns before something releases with this many flaws.

Cheers

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020

For anyone wondering, this week is the same missions, with a new vendor selling different skins tied to the same community event as before

The skins appear to be the same as the karma ones in Ebonhawke

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Jake.5741Jake.5741 Member ✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    For anyone wondering, this week is the same missions, with a new vendor selling different skins tied to the same community event as before

Wow, what a let down

@Jake.5741 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Wow, what a let down

Map chat is in agreement

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• wolfyrik.2017wolfyrik.2017 Member ✭✭✭

wow, the shoulders just...

nope.

This is still not worth any time. Skins you can get elsewhere, skins which look terrible and an RNG box of stuff most of which is far lower value than what you put in.
    The same three crappy, over-long, waste of time instances. Unimproved.

No.

Just, no

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    What do I think? It's all a bit boring, just those 3 near identical missions. I won't be contributing much to advance the progress bar. Here's hoping the next few weeks will be adding some more interesting and substantial stuff.

Quoting myself here. I expected there would be more than an NPC replacement and a different brand of tokens. "Interesting and substantial" this is not.

I guess I'll do the missions once more for bonus participation rewards at the end of the week. A shame I can't preview the rewards before earning some tokens to see if it's worth the trouble.

• radda.8920radda.8920 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020

now it's confirmed, 3 DRM for each update and that's it
    it will be exciting until the next expansion..
    I'm a little ashamed for them

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    I guess I'll do the missions once more for bonus participation rewards at the end of the week.

Just do four events in Field of Ruin.
    That is much faster than the DRMs and gives you more tokens.

• Champions is by far the biggest let-down since release of Guild Wars 8 years ago!
    What a horrible joke and to think this is all we get until the expansion releases some time next year....

You can see how much Arenanet cares for Guild Wars at this point!

@Kirigaya Kazuto.8547 said:
    Champions is by far the biggest let-down since release of Guild Wars 8 years ago!
    What a horrible joke and to think this is all we get until the expansion releases some time next year....

You can see how much Arenanet cares for Guild Wars at this point!

Even more, the biggest let down since realease of guild wars 1 , 15 years ago

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    I guess I'll do the missions once more for bonus participation rewards at the end of the week.

Alas, too late. I didn't check that achievement category so I missed that, and I already did the DRMs now. I had a good groups though so it went as fast as it can.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Alas, too late. I didn't check that achievement category so I missed that, and I already did the DRMs now. I had a good groups though so it went as fast as it can.

I think that'll be available everyday (until the next faction comes, probably mid January), so it shouldn't be too late.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I think that'll be available everyday (until the next faction comes, probably mid January), so it shouldn't be too late.

It's too late in the sense that I'm done with this now that I've spent my 5 tokens. I would've preferred going to the FoR for 5 tokens but now that I already got the 5 (bought one with a material donation) I have no reason to go there.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

So, am I getting this right? We won't be able to do any other episodes' achievements until the next chapter on any character with whom we have the current episode active, because we will lose all progress of this chapter and would have to start over?

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    What do I think? It's all a bit boring, just those 3 near identical missions. I won't be contributing much to advance the progress bar. Here's hoping the next few weeks will be adding some more interesting and substantial stuff.

Quoting myself here. I expected there would be more than an NPC replacement and a different brand of tokens. "Interesting and substantial" this is not.

I guess I'll do the missions once more for bonus participation rewards at the end of the week. A shame I can't preview the rewards before earning some tokens to see if it's worth the trouble.

You totaly can by going into bonus events clicking the locked achievement.
    But its same as crystal bloom reward week 1/5 of what we got during fractal/world boss week.
    Guess anet dident like people droping banners everywere.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    So, am I getting this right? We won't be able to do any other episodes' achievements until the next chapter on any character with whom we have the current episode active, because we will lose all progress of this chapter and would have to start over?

It looks like all you lose is the 3 drm missions.
    So you dont have to do all they story missions again, atleast thats what it looked like on Mukluk's stream last night.

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

I mean, why did we need to wait 2 weeks for this?

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2020

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

It looks like all you lose is the 3 drm missions.

Still, not the best way to go about it. I'd rather have them release the mini content in separate episodes than in chapters, thereby locking characters to the current story.

• Heibi.4251Heibi.4251 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2020

I find the current LS disappointing. We have 3 dragon response missions and that is about it. We're stuck at 2/7 masteries, a "semi-permanent" green star in our screen corner until the next storyline advancement and not much else to do. The repeated grind of the same 3 response missions is not what the general player community was expecting. Not to mention the ETREMELY LOW drop rate of the new dragon weapons. Sad that such an item is locked behind a horrible RNG, not to mention a mastery point of all things. I can only hope that this means most of ANET's resources are going into the Cantha EXPAC.

I've been playing Guild Wars since GW1 Beta and this is by far the most disappointing content so far.

Henge of Denravi Commander
    CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭✭

@radda.8920 said:

@NekoLen.9753 said:
    including the kitten that was HoT and the absolutely terrible LS3

Best parts of the game for me.
    If everything had kept the level of HOT, this game would be a masterpiece.
    Nothing comparable to the total boredom of this saga.

wildstar showed us the fate of mmos, that cater only to the hardcore crowd. i am guessing, that hot is the prime reason for the steam delay.
    when the big steam crowd hits maguma, they need something, that resembles the core game, not a completely different one.
    they would tare it apart in the reviews, and dump it again

@battledrone.8315 said:

@radda.8920 said:

@NekoLen.9753 said:

wildstar showed us the fate of mmos, that cater only to the hardcore crowd. i am guessing, that hot is the prime reason for the steam delay.
    when the big steam crowd hits maguma, they need something, that resembles the core game, not a completely different one.

I don't quite understand the connection with wildstar.
    hot is absolutely not complicated, proof full of casuals have managed to finish it.
    if it was truly a hardcore game, not so many people would be able to explore the whole game

just because content forces you to use your brain as little as possible by allowing you to improve yourself doesn't mean it's hardcore

we have the impression that for the gw2 community, as soon as we have to do something other than spam 1, it's difficult ..

hot had the best metas in the game by far
    Auric Bassin/verdant brink was a masterpiece in terms of content
    and currently we have maps like drizzlewood coast, where we sleep on the keyboard

@radda.8920 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:

@radda.8920 said:

@NekoLen.9753 said:

hot is absolutely not complicated, proof full of casuals have managed to finish it.
    if it was truly a hardcore game, not so many people would be able to explore the whole game

just because content forces you to use your brain as little as possible by allowing you to improve yourself doesn't mean it's hardcore

we have the impression that for the gw2 community, as soon as we have to do something other than spam 1, it's difficult ..

and currently we have maps like drizzlewood coast, where we sleep on the keyboard

Yeah I don't understand the previous comment either. HoT is fine as it is as long as you don't skip the early content. Steam is delayed because of the expansion and possibly because of the server issues in LS4 and PoF which they are still trying to fix. Nothing to do with HoT at all and zero parallels to Wildstar (which just wasn't a great MMO from what I played of it).

I don't think of HoT as a masterpiece because of how much they said they had to shelve and how short the story was cut down to. But, I did love the maps at the time and it had huge replay value. As much as I loved PoF, it didn't have the staying power of HoT - I found myself constantly doing VB event chains over and over, not to mention the meta bosses. So far I've found the expac experience in GW2 far superior to the LS experience

• battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭✭

@radda.8920 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:

@radda.8920 said:

@NekoLen.9753 said:

if so many casuals had finished it, you can bet, that they would had made more of the same.

they spent most of the next year trying to make it playable for normal people. didnt work out. they even kept the multi loot bug in game,
    just to make it popular too.
    wildstar was a hardcore mmo, and they never really got off the ground, because they didnt have millions of casuals to keep them afloat.
    hardcore content has to be perfectly scaled and optimized, and that process takes time. so, they either have to launch with a PERFECT game (lol)
    or, they have to scramble to fix things, while their customer base is leaving them.
    casual content is much easier to create, but then you need a lot more of it.

• Just had to react to these HoT remarks but I've put it in a spoiler below since it feels like the HoT/wildstar talk isn't on topic anymore.
    On topic though, aside from all of the flaws I listed earlier that had nothing to do with the combat, I don't really mind the emergency response missions. You do have to look out a bit while doing them on cm cause if you don't, you can get downed pretty easily if you don't dodge. So at least it forces people to use their skills and/or dodges a bit which is a positive thing imo.

Are we really going to put HoT content up for discussion whether it was good or not? It was and is by far the best content in the game with the most exciting maps and plenty of replayability. PoF on the contrary, I played it for 2-3 weeks to get all the achies and never set foot in there again aside from hitting a pinata for 5 secs to get some loot. Anytime I do get back to it, it doesn't last long cause there just isn't much to do aside from the bounties but we already that "content" from weekly guild missions so why they have put them as main content in the PoF maps is still a mystery to me, it was just more of the same.
    HoT just has everything, meta's that require the map to truely cooperate because all of them force people to split up, and solo content that can be somewhat challenging but doesn't push it too far either. You can do plenty of it on your own, and for the few harder hero points, just ask for help in chat if you can't solo them. That's what an mmo is about, cooperating.
    People have just become way too used to just pressing 1 with 100 people to get everything done since HoT and PoF elite specs provided a lot of extra damage output but none of the Tyria bosses ever got properly updated for it aside from a health increase. Things shouldn't be elitist but requiring people to use their brain a little and press something else than constantly spamming 1 isn't too much to ask is it? If the content is a little challenging like in HoT, at least people improve over time while easy content that doesn't challenge people will not make them improve in any way. Self-improvement provides satisfaction and connects people to the game way more than mindlessly autoattacking all the time and having no sense of achievement whatsoever. There used to be a time when bosses had variable time windows to spawn and people had to cooperate with those in the map at that time to actually get it done, or get some friends and guildies over which was what connected people to eachother, we helped eachother to get things done and we scavenged for every extra person we could get because it actually mattered and could make the difference between succeeding or failing. Sure, it failed sometimes, but isn't it fine for open world content to fail from time to time? I had way more fun doing them that way and having to play actively than just gathering with a full map at a given time and get the guaranteed kill while autoattacking and paying zero attention whatsoever. But when people get the choice to do something the easy way or the hard way, ofcourse we choose the easy way, that's human nature. Is the easiest way the most fun and longest lasting though? I don't think so.

• I am surprised the community got t3 in the current event already. I was pretty sure that since this event has bad reward, skins from the previous and still available maps and we still need to grind drm over and over again, reaching t3 would be even harder than with crystal bloom.

• DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭

The morale booster events for the Metrica Province DRM seem to be considerably more time consuming to complete than the other DRMs so far released. Gendarran Fields: grab 1 bucket and put out fires with it, Brisban Wildlands: grab 1 bucket and put out fires with it while interacting with bulbs to activate plant turrets, Metrica Province: search for a tool for about 2 seconds so that you can activate 1 golem with it and repeat 10 times.

Can this be changed so that the search is either instant or so that you can hold on to the tool after activating a golem?

@nopinopa.4861 said:
    I am surprised the community got t3 in the current event already. I was pretty sure that since this event has bad reward, skins from the previous and still available maps and we still need to grind drm over and over again, reaching t3 would be even harder than with crystal bloom.

Considering we can now earn the token quicker and easier than before via Fields of Ruin, I'm not terribly surprised.

@nopinopa.4861 said:
    I am surprised the community got t3 in the current event already. I was pretty sure that since this event has bad reward, skins from the previous and still available maps and we still need to grind drm over and over again, reaching t3 would be even harder than with crystal bloom.

They may have adjusted the target figures to require less contributions

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:

@nopinopa.4861 said:

Considering we can now earn the token quicker and easier than before via Fields of Ruin, I'm not terribly surprised.

Actually the big difference this bonus event is that we can only purchase the new items contributing to the event with ebonguard marks and not with marks and drm currencies like last time (I know I bought half of them with the currencies last time instead of the marks). Personally I find it go slower now because I cannot buy the items with the drm currency. The items is what I care for, not the booster or banner :P