Anyone Else Feel Necro Will Get Shields For The New Spec??

MatyrGustav.6210

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very adamantly hoping that Sword will be the elite spec weapon. Necro is the only class that cannot use Sword with any spec right now, so it would make sense to me.

My second guess is Shortbow, but that one might be a little off the mark. Since they're likely to be Canthan themed Shortbow makes the most sense to me, but I also don't know much about Canthan lore or the story of GW1.

Shield would be cool, I'd be okay with that. Hammer would also be nice.

I do not want; Rifle, Pistol, or Longbow however.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I'm very adamantly hoping that Sword will be the elite spec weapon. Necro is the only class that cannot use Sword with any spec right now, so it would make sense to me.

My second guess is Shortbow, but that one might be a little off the mark. Since they're likely to be Canthan themed Shortbow makes the most sense to me, but I also don't know much about Canthan lore or the story of GW1.

Shield would be cool, I'd be okay with that. Hammer would also be nice.

I do not want; Rifle, Pistol, or Longbow however.

yeah i feel like necro really needs Sword now that i think of it.

Sword is the most popular choice and Shield and Hammer are second. From an old poll I posted a while ago Shield was the second with Hammer as the third but it was a statistical tie.

I think it Honestly depends on the what the elite spec is designed to do. Each weapon does have thematic implications. Sword is heavily associated with vampirism. The shield is somewhat associated with Minions but that's not required. And Hammer is associated with minions as well due to Desmina in GW2 and Hector in Castlevania.

We don't really have a clue right now. Jhavi was speculated to be the next elite spec since she was wielding shield in a cinematic for Ice Brood Saga. She isn't currently wielding a shield. She is currently a scourge. Can't say if she'll evolve her abilities later on.

There is nothing certain. I'd be happy with a Minion master elite spec but I'd also be happy with a vampiric spec. I'd be more happy if it was a class cannon DPS and support spec. That's probably the most important for me.

For me the issue with shield is that from my point of view it's a tool to "block" attack and the necromancer's defensive design is to take most if not all damage. It's not that thematically the tombstone wouldn't be great but I feel like the necromancer's shield skills design would be bound to be a source of frustration for the players.

Personally, I'd prefer Axe off-hand. Axe really feel like a "vicious" weapon which fit the necromancer's thematic. Mace/club could also fit the fantasy of a spellcaster for me. On another hand, I'm not thrilled by the idea of a hammer or a sword for the necromancer (Hammer basically give me a reaper 2.0 feel and sword a dagger 2.0 feel).

I wouldn't be against longbow as a weapon, thought, on a "bone magic" e-spec if we think about Diablo 2 necromancer. Afterall, I can very well see Teeth, Bone spear, Bone spirit, Bone prison and Bone wall as a longbow skillkit (The kit wouldn't be very far from ranger's and guardian's longbow skillkits).

Anyway, granted the LS schedule they gave us, we don't get any x-pac until august/september next year minimum so it's still far away.

I want Sword too, maybe even duel swords to improve the offhand combos with Dagger, Axe and Sceptor.

I want Necro to get a kind of Dark Knight style spec with a new Shroud form, I didn't like giving up my shroud for scourge so hopefully none of that with the next spec or i'll just end up sticking with Reaper again.

Oh wow> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

For me the issue with shield is that from my point of view it's a tool to "block" attack and the necromancer's defensive design is to take most if not all damage. It's not that thematically the tombstone wouldn't be great but I feel like the necromancer's shield skills design would be bound to be a source of frustration for the players.

I mean i would be cool to have a variant to playstyle with the shield kind of like Daredevil to Thief.

Also the Bone Bow idea sounds amazing ? i would love that as well.

But would love if the Necromancer used its life force to summon a Bone Tyrant to fight with pet attack skills instead of shroud.

@MatyrGustav.6210 said:

Oh wow> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

I mean i would be cool to have a variant to playstyle with the shield kind of like Daredevil to Thief.

Also the Bone Bow idea sounds amazing ? i would love that as well.

How about the next spec gets conjure dark weapon skills kinda like Ele has.Conjure Bone bow (Longbow, ranged dps)Conjure Blades of Torment (Duel Swords, close range fast condition stacking.. bleeds and torment)Conjure Dreadspawn Maulers (Duel Maces, close range damage and hard CC)Elite skill, Conjure Demonic Effigy (Acts like a Banner stealing health and lifeforce from nearby enemies, heals allies within range and grants lifeforce to nearby Necromancers.)

@Flumek.9043 said:MAIN HAND is a 200% must for necro.

Dont forget it the class with least weapons, with pseudo 0 choices: 2 power + 2 condi baseline.

Offhands you can tweak a skill and you reworked half it, like focus became viable after 7 years....Mainhands just give you so much juice.

If thats the case it might even be the longbow. We will get 5 new weapon skills.

@"Flumek.9043" said:MAIN HAND is a 200% must for necro.

Dont forget it the class with least weapons, with pseudo 0 choices: 2 power + 2 condi baseline.

Offhands you can tweak a skill and you reworked half it, like focus became viable after 7 years....Mainhands just give you so much juice.

The issue is that since ANet "reworked" focus and warhorn, the necromancer's off-hand weapon are hardly relevant (It's even worse than the necromancer's main hand which feel heavenly good in comparison... or at least it's my opinion).

ShieldImagine being bound to the crappy dagger as the only mainhand melee weapon for your elite spec. Core necro's biggest issue would transform right to the next elite spec.

With the current state of dagger a shield would be a horrible elite spec weapon. Only a really well designed shroud (a classic F1 transform with great melee skills and not the buttonmashing fail scourge is) could save such a spec.

I would vote for a hammer, but think this would be too close to what reaper already does (the scythe is even coded as a hammer).

@KrHome.1920 said:

ShieldImagine being bound to crappy mainhand weapons like dagger and scepter.

With the current state of these two weapons a shield would be a horrible elite spec weapon. Only a really well designed shroud (not the buttonmashing fail scourge is) could save such a spec.

I would vote for a hammer, but think this would be too close to what reaper already does (the scythe is even coded as a hammer).

Still better than being bound to focus, warhorn and dagger off-hand... Well, necromancer's weaponsets in a nutshell... It's sad when our best option is to hope for a 2H e-spec weapon because all our 1H core weapon options are bound to let us unsatisfied.

@Dadnir.5038 said:It's sad when our best option is to hope for a 2H e-spec weapon because all our 1H core weapon options are bound to let us unsatisfied.I actually like the concept of a shield, but not with these core weapons we currently have.

I 've tried countless of hours to make dagger and scepter builds work in pvp and wvw. It's impossible. They are the opposite of everything you need to be competitive. Every other class just rolls over you.

@KrHome.1920 said:

ShieldImagine being bound to the crappy dagger as the only mainhand melee weapon for your elite spec. Core necro's biggest issue would transform right to the next elite spec.

With the current state of dagger a shield would be a horrible elite spec weapon. Only a really well designed shroud (a classic F1 transform with great melee skills and not the buttonmashing fail scourge is) could save such a spec.

I see. Yes i feel like we would need Sword as a added base weapon if Shield is the elite spec.

Hammer would be awesome, it is close to Reaper so I would see Anet adding it as a magical focus similar to Revenant and how Mesmer uses the Great Sword. Imagine slamming the hammer into the ground to Summon some Skeletons?

@"KrHome.1920" said:

Hadn't thought of it that way, but very true.

I'm really hoping we don't get another Barrier spec, or even a Shroudless spec, because personally I love Shroud.

Scourge is still a huge insult to me with Necro being limited in defensive options and citing Shroud as the reason (because "lots of health"), then they introduce Barrier to replace Shroud and give numerous other classes access to it with two of them having better self-application than Scourge (Scrapper, Weaver) and still having stronger defenses...I don't hate it as much as I used to, but the whole design and philosophy of Scourge still irritates me, and I hope they don't make another abomination like it.

Don't get me wrong though, I understand people like Scourge and that's cool. I actually enjoy playing it sometimes unlike the first year or so of it's existence. But the design is insulting to me and I hope the next spec can redeem that.

I personally think that weapons should not be tied to specializations at all. I would like to see all weapons available for all classes without needing a trait equip. Then every now an then add new trait lines to add to build diversity. I would also allow both scourge and Reaper trait lines to be used concurrently along with any new lines we see in the future. For example if you select both scourge and reaper at the same time your F skill abilities would be something totally new. Restrictions do not promote build diversity and I wanna blow up the whole idea of traits and weapons up entirely.

@Excursion.9752 said:I personally think that weapons should not be tied to specializations at all. I would like to see all weapons available for all classes without needing a trait equip. Then every now an then add new trait lines to add to build diversity. I would also allow both scourge and Reaper trait lines to be used concurrently along with any new lines we see in the future. For example if you select both scourge and reaper at the same time your F skill abilities would be something totally new. Restrictions do not promote build diversity and I wanna blow up the whole idea of traits and weapons up entirely.

I like the idea of not needing elite specs to use elite spec weapons, but just like the idea of being able to slot 2 elite specs, it would create huge imbalances and require some significant overhauling. I don't think it's a thing that would ever work in GW2 unless ANet was willing to dedicate a massive amount of effort to making it work.

If you've ever heard of the game Ashes of Creation, a MMORPG that's currently in development, it has the kind of system you're wanting. Any combination of classes can be used to create entirely new classes. There's something like 64 different possibilities.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:If you've ever heard of the game Ashes of Creation, a MMORPG that's currently in development, it has the kind of system you're wanting. Any combination of classes can be used to create entirely new classes. There's something like 64 different possibilities.I will have to look that up. The game I always go back to is Ultima Online. You could literally do anything in that game. To bad EA had to go and ruin it. You could combine anything you wanted without limitation. Everyone only had so many attributes to use and you could use them as you wanted. This coming from a game that was released in 1997. Nothing has came close since.

I like the idea of a using a hammer to summon minions. What if we got something more like the Mesmer, where we could summon short lived minions with our new weapon. Of course, if underwater is a big part of Cantha, maybe all we'll get is access to a new underwater weapon, like spear gun. :scream:

I think a fun third elite would be one where you could use it to combine your other Elites. It let's you take both Elite specs at the same time, with the first mastery letting you choose which shroud option you get to use.