Unlocking Masteries VS Me (I'm losing) — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Unlocking Masteries VS Me (I'm losing)

Hello everyone. First of all excuse me for how little I understand this process no matter how many times i read the wiki.

Until I paid for the expansions I could navigate the game (I think). Now, going immediately from 60 to 80 has changed a lot. I have mastery points but I cannot unlock them. If I understand correctly, I'm not getting experience anymore. I don't fully understand the mastery points mostly bc I can't figure out how to unlock them. WIki didn't help me much. Pretty sure its just me bc it usually is but anyone who could explain how to actually unlock my points and then what to do with them I would really, really, really appreciate it.

Comments

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • @Sindariel.4738 said:
    Hello everyone. First of all excuse me for how little I understand this process no matter how many times i read the wiki.

    Until I paid for the expansions I could navigate the game (I think). Now, going immediately from 60 to 80 has changed a lot. I have mastery points but I cannot unlock them. If I understand correctly, I'm not getting experience anymore. I don't fully understand the mastery points mostly bc I can't figure out how to unlock them. WIki didn't help me much. Pretty sure its just me bc it usually is but anyone who could explain how to actually unlock my points and then what to do with them I would really, really, really appreciate it.

    Aliam answered your question, but I just came back to the game after not playing since 2012. I jumped into PoF to get the mounts and was a bit frustrated by it because many of the mastery points were locked behind getting the mounts I was using the mastery points for! What worked was just going through the PoF storyline, which gives you a lot of mastery points and a lot of XP. There's a few Mastery Points you might get but after doing the storyline you'll finish the storyline with what you need to more easily achieve the remaining mounts.

    Getting in on a Hero Point Train for either HoT or PoF will also help unlock them all, and running the living world season 4 meta trains will give massive experience to use the mastery points.

    Good luck!

  • Thank you guys for your info! Later today I'm going to try again.

  • @Sindariel.4738 said:
    Thank you guys for your info! Later today I'm going to try again.

    Couple of key things - You do have to run at least the first story instance or two of either HoT or PoF to unlock the masteries when you reach level 80. For HoT, you don't actually unlock them until you complete the first story instance in Verdant Brink - the prologue that occurs in Silverwastes doesn't do it for you. I suspect the same is true of PoF, but I do not know. Second, once you unlock the masteries, there are different mastery tracks and you only train them when you are in the corresponding map areas. So the HoT masteries are only trained in HoT maps (and season 3), PoF train in PoF and Season 4 maps, the core/central tyria masteries only train in the original core and season 2 maps, and so on. Lastly, once you have trained up a mastery, if you don't have the mastery points to spend, select another mastery to train, you can train up another one, just not the next level of the same one.

  • Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @Sindariel.4738 said:
    Hello everyone. First of all excuse me for how little I understand this process no matter how many times i read the wiki.

    Until I paid for the expansions I could navigate the game (I think). Now, going immediately from 60 to 80 has changed a lot. I have mastery points but I cannot unlock them. If I understand correctly, I'm not getting experience anymore. I don't fully understand the mastery points mostly bc I can't figure out how to unlock them. WIki didn't help me much. Pretty sure its just me bc it usually is but anyone who could explain how to actually unlock my points and then what to do with them I would really, really, really appreciate it.

    You must select a specific mastery skill to put your experience toward. Once you have enough experience, you can spend however many mastery points are required to earn that skill. Further, skills are segregated by location. For example, experience earned in HoT/LS3 maps will go toward HoT masteries while experience earned in PoF will go toward those masteries.

    Yes. Pick one mastery to train in each of the Tyria, HoT (when unlocked), and PoF (when unlocked), and also IBS (when unlocked). That means you can flit around the various expansions etc and everything you do is counting towards a mastery - instead of the normal experience bar you had to level 80, you now have a mastery experience bar. But only Tyria experience (events, gathering, etc) counts towards gaining the mastery experience for the Tyria masteries, only HoT experience counts towards for the HoT masteries, etc.

    Then, when you get to 100% of the mastery experience bar, you need the number of required points to train it - which is instant. Just click on the icon for that mastery to train. Then you pick the next mastery you want to do.

    Remember to train when you can! Once your mastery track has hit 100%, it doesn't automatically change to another mastery, so you need to pick the one you want.

    Finally, the masteries are in order within each type. In order to train a higher level mastery, you must train the mastery/masteries before it. Which is incredibly annoying when you want to get autoloot (Tyria mastery).