Minstrel Chrono?

Oh My God.8423

I just came back after a few years away. It was when Minstrel Chono tank was still a thing.

I relogged into my account last week trying to catch up on what I have missed and I saw I still have a full set of Ascended Minstrel gear on my Mesmer. So, is Minstrel Chrono still a thing? Otherwise it will be a waste of a good set of Minstrel gear...

Harrier is the way to go now and a better choice IMO. Also; they nerfed Signet of Inspiration and now it's become useless since it doesn't allow you to share boons anymore...

Edit: Forgot to mention too since you've been away. They've also pretty much given a lot of other professions some of our uniqueness, i.e: Portal, Alacrity etc...

@LuRkEr.9462 said:Mesmer using some minstrel gear is still a thing in raids for tanking. Outside of that and maybe WvW support build it wouldn't be used.

I mostly see Wanderer's in WvW, it's better cause it has some power on it, and tankyness.Though i suppose a full support only Minstrel would work as well. Or at least a combination of those.

Cause if you go full Minstrel in WvW, you're useless in 1v1 fights or taking camps. That's probably why people don't play full Minstrel outside of zerg.

@Tseison.4659 said:Harrier is the way to go now and a better choice IMO. Also; they nerfed Signet of Inspiration and now it's become useless since it doesn't allow you to share boons anymore...

Edit: Forgot to mention too since you've been away. They've also pretty much given a lot of other professions some of our uniqueness, i.e: Portal, Alacrity etc...

They really need to stop nerfing Mesmers, it's sad what they've done to us.I see support classes take on keep bosses in WvW, meanwhile, my Chrono has trouble taking a camp because the damage is just so pathetic.Mirage can't dodge more than once and i won't even go what they've done to other skills and utilities.

Sad... :disappointed:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@LuRkEr.9462 said:Mesmer using some minstrel gear is still a thing in raids for tanking. Outside of that and maybe WvW support build it wouldn't be used.

I mostly see Wanderer's in WvW, it's better cause it has some power on it, and tankyness.Though i suppose a full support only Minstrel would work as well. Or at least a combination of those.

Cause if you go full Minstrel in WvW, you're useless in 1v1 fights or taking camps. That's probably why people don't play full Minstrel outside of zerg.

@Tseison.4659 said:Harrier is the way to go now and a better choice IMO. Also; they nerfed Signet of Inspiration and now it's become useless since it doesn't allow you to share boons anymore...

They really need to stop nerfing Mesmers, it's sad what they've done to us.I see support classes take on keep bosses in WvW, meanwhile, my Chrono has trouble taking a camp because the damage is just so pathetic.Mirage can't dodge more than once and i won't even go what they've done to other skills and utilities.

Agreed. I mean when it comes to damage I run pwr chrono and seem to be shredding people fine with it. I occasionally see amateur Mesmers running core or chrono too but not really phased by them eye roll. However, I sometimes will see Mirages in WvW and it’s sad so after the 1 dodge and I’m assuming sigil of energy swap lol, they’re pretty much dead lol...

But aside from that, I struggle sometimes in that mode because boons are way too strong or you have overloaded professions like the kitten thief and it’s hard when most of the damage revolves around shatters....

@Tseison.4659 said:

Agreed. I mean when it comes to damage I run pwr chrono and seem to be shredding people fine with it. I occasionally see amateur Mesmers running core or chrono too but not really phased by them
eye roll
. However, I sometimes will see Mirages in WvW and it’s sad so after the 1 dodge and I’m assuming sigil of energy swap lol, they’re pretty much dead lol...

But aside from that, I struggle sometimes in that mode because boons are way too strong or you have overloaded professions like the kitten thief and it’s hard when most of the damage revolves around shatters....

Yeah, i often see people complain that Mirage was "immune to CC".Yeah, that's the bloody point?!? Adjust your strategy, not cry for nerfs because you can't beat it.

And to be fair, even with 1 dodge, i could 1v1 just fine, except, in contrast to other classes that can just spam 2 skills, i had to play Rachmaninoff on my keyboard to down someone. This was true even before the nerf but not as obvious.

I hate that it's fine for other classes to be good at everything, but as soon as Mesmers are good at something, people cry for nerfs.And i hate that Anet listens to whiners.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Agreed. I mean when it comes to damage I run pwr chrono and seem to be shredding people fine with it. I occasionally see amateur Mesmers running core or chrono too but not really phased by them
eye roll
. However, I sometimes will see Mirages in WvW and it’s sad so after the 1 dodge and I’m assuming sigil of energy swap lol, they’re pretty much dead lol...

Yeah, i often see people complain that Mirage was "immune to CC".Yeah, that's the bloody point?!? Adjust your strategy, not cry for nerfs because you can't beat it.

And to be fair, even with 1 dodge, i could 1v1 just fine, except, in contrast to other classes that can just spam 2 skills, i had to play Rachmaninoff on my keyboard to down someone. This was true even before the nerf but not as obvious.

I hate that it's fine for other classes to be good at everything, but as soon as Mesmers are good at something, people cry for nerfs.And i hate that Anet listens to whiners.

Right! I think that's what I love about the Mirage spec because it gives this sense of "phasing" through all forms of attacks, cc and conditions which is balanced because if you take a look at classes like the stupid thieves, they can go full zerker and have more condition cleanses and escapes than us. Regardless of their "role", if Mirage is supposed to be "inspired" by the thieves, we should be given more access to vigor or have our endurance regeneration increased. Well everyone plays differently but I know two Mesmers I roamed with a while back were using the Mirage to "get used to" the 1 dodge and it was too difficult because if the enemy isn't unloading everything in the first couple seconds of the encounter, they'll just do it again in the next and our dodge will still be on CD so shrugs.

@Tseison.4659 said:

eye roll

Right! I think that's what I love about the Mirage spec because it gives this sense of "phasing" through all forms of attacks, cc and conditions which is balanced because if you take a look at classes like the stupid thieves, they can go full zerker and have more condition cleanses and escapes than us. Regardless of their "role", if Mirage is supposed to be "inspired" by the thieves, we should be given more access to vigor or have our endurance regeneration increased. Well everyone plays differently but I know two Mesmers I roamed with a while back were using the Mirage to "get used to" the 1 dodge and it was too difficult because if the enemy isn't unloading everything in the first couple seconds of the encounter, they'll just do it again in the next and our dodge will still be on CD so
shrugs

Agreed! They should have never messed with a core gameplay mechanic like they did. The whole game is balanced around having access to 2 instant evades. All that AOE spam and burst other classes have and do and STILL have 2 dodges is impossible to avoid with just 1 dodge. Instead of that, Mirage now has to slot utility skills to compensate and lose a huge chunk of either damage or other utility just to get what other more powerful classes have by default.It's shameful what they did, that's for sure. I won't go more in depth on this as i've made an entire post about this in the Mesmer forum but suffice it to say, this was uncalled for, just because people whine about Mesmers constantly instead of actually learning to deal with them.

The thing is - Mesmer can't be dealt with like other classes can. You need to adjust your strategy a bit, i do that too when fighting other Mesmers. I mean that's true for all classes, but since Mesmers have clones and you can't tell who the real one is immediately, all of a sudden people need Anet to nerf us just because that's somehow too powerful. Mesmers were never too powerful, they were just good at one particular thing that people never learned how to deal with.

And now we suck because Anet caved.I love the game, and i love Anet for making it and their dedication to it, but what they're doing ot Mesmers is inexcusable.

• 4 months later...

I wanted a tanking chrono with the survivability, pass multiple boons and good alac uptimes. I found this well done video on

and another one by MetabattleIs the build too defensive?I seen how the gears, runes and signets were all stacked on toughness then concentration and healing...

Into the mix I have Harrier's and Giver's gear giving offense and defense while spreading rest equally at heals, concentration.Then during 1 raid I got called for not doing high DPS? Isn't it hard to please people these days, a tanking chrono giving off heals, alacrity, quickness, and asked to do a high DPS? Is that too much to ask from the chronomancer?

@Salt Mode.3780 said:truth be told in terms of boon ripping scourge would be the preferred considering corrupt is much stronger then just stripping the boons itself.

IDK i would prefer a mesmer stripping than scourge :\ plus is more stronger at it than necro.necro gets boons into condi, but the enemy also have condi to boon, so if u wont make then have boon back their classes that convert back to boons are being useless on that role.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Salt Mode.3780 said:truth be told in terms of boon ripping scourge would be the preferred considering corrupt is much stronger then just stripping the boons itself.

IDK i would prefer a mesmer stripping than scourge :\ plus is more stronger at it than necro.necro gets boons into condi, but the enemy also have condi to boon, so if u wont make then have boon back their classes that convert back to boons are being useless on that role.

IMO the only thing mesmers need for the perfect boonstrip is to make Null Field unblockable. Every other class has their boonstrip utility skills unblockable and quite larger than the Mesmers. So it would be only fair.

Wells could use a larger AOE as well, but that's another issue.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Salt Mode.3780" said:truth be told in terms of boon ripping scourge would be the preferred considering corrupt is much stronger then just stripping the boons itself.

IMO the only thing mesmers need for the perfect boonstrip is to make Null Field unblockable. Every other class has their boonstrip utility skills unblockable and quite larger than the Mesmers. So it would be only fair.

Anet could give them the chance for one to go for unlockable or larger aoe :\ but never both (I dont really reccal how block works vs boon strip since its a boon).´IMO Anet should remove Alacrity from rev as well, it should be chrono exclusivelly, renegades should be able to share their kalla fervor with alies rather than alacirty -.-" (i play rev mainly).

Note: Imo classes in this game are a mess, they loose identity over time due some other class appearing at the end, sometimes due nerfs and changes that are somewhat ilogical and some classes end doing the roles of what other classes should do it better even if it means harder gameplay.

I think its due Anet to much copy paste skill design, where the skill that is from what class A should be the stronger at, it will be selled on class B as the new stronger class doing that roles and sometimes another one (just like hapened with alacrity), IMO classes need dedicated mechanics to matain their identity rather than spread same boons condis and skills with stronger versions of it every time a expact cames out..

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@"Salt Mode.3780" said:truth be told in terms of boon ripping scourge would be the preferred considering corrupt is much stronger then just stripping the boons itself.

Anet could give them the chance for one to go for unlockable or larger aoe :\ but never both (I dont really reccal how block works vs boon strip since its a boon).´IMO Anet should remove Alacrity from rev as well, it should be chrono exclusivelly, renegades should be able to share their kalla fervor with alies rather than alacirty -.-" (i play rev mainly).

Note: Imo classes in this game are a mess, they loose identity over time due some other class appearing at the end, sometimes due nerfs and changes that are somewhat ilogical and some classes end doing the roles of what other classes should do it better even if it means harder gameplay.

I think its due Anet to much copy paste skill design, where the skill that is from what class A should be the stronger at, it will be selled on class B as the new stronger class doing that roles and sometimes another one (just like hapened with alacrity), IMO classes need dedicated mechanics to matain their identity rather than spread same boons condis and skills with stronger versions of it every time a expact cames out..

I use it constantly in WvW and it basically just triggers the block which stops boonstrip entirely. Null Field is supposed to pulse so, subsequent pulses should remove boons, but they don't seem to do that if it's blocked, its just blocks the skill entirely. That's why i said it needs to be unblockable. Because block renders it useless. It's also "blocked" by the "immune" message, not sure what's that from. So if they make it larger (which they also should do, everyone has larger boonstrips and tons of other stuff that they do better than a Mesmer so i don't see the problem in having Mesmers have an unblockable larger boonstirp), unblockable is a must if it's to do what the skill is intended for. It should have never been blockable in the first place, especially since other profession's boonstrip aren't, they're mostly unblockable (especially utilty skills, they're all unblockable and larger except for mesmer's). Which just seems unfair.

It basically creates a stupid problem where your AOE boonstrip is blocked and rendered useless. Sure, it removes Aegis, but then you wasted your best utility to just remove aegis and you're left with lesser boonstrips to go on. Meanwhile, the lesser boonstrips are actually unblockable and thus don't remove Aegis by default, they only remove it if it happens to be the boon it stripped. So you can't rely on them to strip block in order to put down your big boonstrip, you're just left to luck which is never a good design choice in competitive environments. Mesmers already have too much "luck" involved with all other skills and mechanics.

Agree on Alacrity, Chrono should have been the only one to provide it, and with the ability of perma alacrity. Wtf do Revs have to do with our shtick? And do it better than us??? This just seems insulting,

I also agree that every class is too similar right now. Guardians can especially do pretty much everything.

FIngers crossed for EoD but i'm not holding my breath. Though, if they mess up Mesmer even more for EoD, i'm not sure i'll stick around for long... It's no fun being in the gutter. :disappointed:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I use it constantly in WvW and it basically just triggers the block which stops boonstrip entirely. Null Field is supposed to pulse so, subsequent pulses should remove boons, but they don't seem to do that if it's blocked, its just blocks the skill entirely. That's why i said it needs to be unblockable. Because block renders it useless. It's also "blocked" by the "immune" message, not sure what's that from. So if they make it larger (which they also should do, everyone has larger boonstrips and tons of other stuff that they do better than a Mesmer so i don't see the problem in having Mesmers have an unblockable larger boonstirp), unblockable is a must if it's to do what the skill is intended for. It should have never been blockable in the first place, especially since other profession's boonstrip aren't, they're mostly unblockable (especially utilty skills, they're all unblockable and larger except for mesmer's). Which just seems unfair.

Agree on Alacrity, Chrono should have been the only one to provide it, and with the ability of perma alacrity. kitten do Revs have to do with our shtick? And do it better than us??? This just seems insulting,

I also agree that every class is too similar right now. Guardians can especially do pretty much everything.

FIngers crossed for EoD but i'm not holding my breath. Though, if they mess up Mesmer even more for EoD, i'm not sure i'll stick around for long... It's no fun being in the gutter. :disappointed:

Tks for the explanation, I somewhat feared that would happen but had not sure, IMO it sounds more like a bug or at least it would consume the 1st block but if player is in position to get more 1+ strips that should take in effect that is what makes more sento to happen at least for me, getting the entire skill bloked :sleeping: ....A way to fix that if make s trip boon disabling the block boon somewhat this way both will consume themselves:the situations:W/o aegis situation:-Player A has no block, enemy Player B uses 3x strip wich start pulsin and remove the 3 boons.

With aegis situation:-Player A has block and boons, enemy player B uses 3x strip, the boons wiill be saved on the 1st strip and will forecelly take the block from aegis making it both consume each other, player A will only suffer from 2 strip rather than 3.

One thing that ive learned in gw2... never cross fingers and never get hyped for any kinda of game... specially gw2.....

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Agree on Alacrity, Chrono should have been the only one to provide it, and with the ability of perma alacrity. kitten do Revs have to do with our shtick? And do it better than us??? This just seems insulting,

Tks for the explanation, I somewhat feared that would happen but had not sure, IMO it sounds more like a bug or at least it would consume the 1st block but if player is in position to get more 1+ strips that should take in effect that is what makes more sento to happen at least for me, getting the entire skill bloked :sleeping: ....

One thing that ive learned in gw2... never cross fingers and never get hyped for any kinda of game... specially gw2.....

Well yeah, it feels like a bug for sure. I mean, if it's unblockable it would do what the skill says it does. And even if blocked, it should still pulse as per the description, but "block" seems to just "block the skill" meaning, everything including pulses. I watch ArcDPS a lot when doing WvW and every time i see "Blocked" on Null Field, i consistently see no boonstrips measured by ArcDPS when enemies are in it. Meaning it stops working.Unblockable - especially for utility skills that are supposed to be more powerful than "lesser skills" - should be enabled by default on boonstrip skills because of how block seems to work. It just seems dumb and an oversight that Null Field isn't unblockable. Because that mechanic is actually the one the basically enables boonstripping to begin with. How it is, Null Field just seems broken, and not in a fun way. :disappointed:

Honestly i'm not even sure why Aegis and blocks are triggering and stopping it, aren't those just for damage? Null Field does no damage. Maybe it's a bug with blocking and Aegis?

And yeah, i know, no hype etc. I'm not actually Hyped at all, i'm more afraid than anything cause i don't see how this mess can get any better honestly. I'm just hopeful i guess.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Tks for the explanation, I somewhat feared that would happen but had not sure, IMO it sounds more like a bug or at least it would consume the 1st block but if player is in position to get more 1+ strips that should take in effect that is what makes more sento to happen at least for me, getting the entire skill bloked :sleeping: ....

Well yeah, it feels like a bug for sure. I mean, if it's unblockable it would do what the skill says it does. And even if blocked, it should still pulse as per the description, but "block" seems to just "block the skill" meaning, everything including pulses. I watch ArcDPS a lot when doing WvW and every time i see "Blocked" on Null Field, i consistently see no boonstrips measured by ArcDPS when enemies are in it. Meaning it stops working.Unblockable - especially for utility skills that are supposed to be more powerful than "lesser skills" - should be enabled by default on boonstrip skills because of how block seems to work. It just seems dumb and an oversight that Null Field isn't unblockable. Because that mechanic is actually the one the basically enables boonstripping to begin with. How it is, Null Field just seems broken, and not in a fun way. :disappointed:

And yeah, i know, no hype etc. I'm not actually Hyped at all, i'm more afraid than anything cause i don't see how this mess can get any better honestly. I'm just hopeful i guess.

if its unlockable it should just bypasses the block leaving the block aegis up for another skills and would go directly for other boons :+1:

well i gues ANET really wanted an army of scourges, firebrand and scrappers nothing else matters... plus it is easier to balance WvW if theres less viable classes to it :PTons of aoe and spam that sounds like game working as intended :persevere: ahaha

@Aeolus.3615 said:

if its unlockable it just bypasses the block leavin ghe block aegis up for another skills and would go directly for other boons :+1:

well i gues ANET really wanted an army of scourges, firebrand and scrappers nothing else matters... plus it is easier to balance WvW if theres less viable classes to it :P

Yup, that's how it should work. Now, it occurs to me that ANY block skill can block Null Field. Not just Aegis. That's just broken AF to be honest...With unblockable it should go to boons directly, that's how it should be, and potentially strip aegis, not trigger aegis and blocks by not doing damage, like WTF ANET!!!

But i guess you're right, if they just balance 3 classes, one per armor weight it's easier, the rest can go "cute juvenile cats" themselves... :expressionless: