Need help finding a good roaming class

Zape.2094

Hello!

I just joined the game recently and found love for WvW really quickly. With that being said I mostly enjoy scouting and roaming, and since my revenant (berserker power herald) doesnt seem to be very good at this, I've decided to find an alternative. :)

What I am mostly interested in, is finding a class (and build) that can very easily flip camps alone, perhaps even solo a tower lord, and that can hold its ground in 1v1 fights and small scale skirmishes. I generally prefer tankier classes, since I am a newcomer and it seems like I have more room for error there.

The classes / builds I was considering are next (I'd appreciate any reviews of these builds since Im not 100% sure if they are even what I want):

P/D condi thief

Mesmer (no idea what build yet, I just thought itd be nice to have the portal utility to sneak inside an objective before the enemy caps it)

Longbow ranger (I love the idea of having 1500 range, but Im not sure if theres any viable builds for this that could also flip over camps solo? I seem to get melted way too fest on my berserker revenant to be able to solocap)

Warrior (I know the shoutbreaker build is super popular, but thats only for zergs right? Is there any roaming builds for this?)

Guardian (again, Im not sure if they are good in soloplay or small scale fights, but I really like the shout builds for zergs!).

If you have any reviews or insight on the above, or even any other recommendations itd be insanely helpful!

Just play a class you like. Thats how you properly enjoy WvW. They all have builds that can roam and do what you want. We cant really tell you what you'll enjoy.

I know I dont personally like the herald resource system even if its one of the strongest roamer. I cant even play melee warrior even when others play it like they're immortal. Condi mesmer I've always found boring as heck due to slooooow ramp up times at range. Etc.

@Zape.2094 said:

@"Yasai.3549" said:PoP Marauder Scrapper.

Manage cooldowns properly and nothing short of getting caught by a havoc or zerg and beaten into the ground can kill yu.

Takes skill if yu wanna kill anything tho.

Sorry if stupid, but what's "PoP"? :PPurity of Purpose (alchemy gm trait), named so because Anet thinks the engineer is a joke.

@Zape.2094 said:

@"Yasai.3549" said:PoP Marauder Scrapper.

Manage cooldowns properly and nothing short of getting caught by a havoc or zerg and beaten into the ground can kill yu.

Takes skill if yu wanna kill anything tho.

Sorry if stupid, but what's "PoP"? :P

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Purity_of_Purpose

The coup de grâce of the Alchemy traitline.

Longbow / Greatsword Ranger (even though I refuse to play mine).Scrapper or Holo depending on which you prefer (can double as healbot or barrier bot in zergs if Scrapper).

When it comes to Revenant I switch out to a Trailblazer Renegade build for fastish camp capping and back to Power Herald for zerging.Problem though is you're either a good Revenant or you're a dead Revenant. Even the Trailblazer build running solo is a commitment to the death in every fight, very few options to disengage and depending on too many variables for condi-cleanse leaves very small margin for error.

Take a look at Vallun's channel, he's been putting together some very interesting builds lately and goes into depth about why the builds work and how to play them.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcDJ60QOCj3GjHui8Ws0cg

Experiment.

Some classes are objectively better roamers than others for a variety of reasons. Mobility is one of the most significant advantages in roaming because it allows you to get in and out of fights that are unfavorable and to control the flow of ones you can. There are a lot of other factors to consider when deciding on a class to roam with, but ultimately any class is capable if you're comfortable with it and play intelligently.

Thief, Ranger, Warrior, Mesmer and Engineer are some of the best roaming classes. Revenant is also good, but has a more narrow selection of suitable builds and more unfavorable matches.

Necromancer and Guardian are mostly agreed upon by others to be two of the worst classes to roam with for their lack of mobility, but there are still plenty of people who enjoy roaming on these classes.

And of course there is also Elementalist which has some very strong and sustainable builds as well as ones with extremely high burst. Ele however tends to have a hard time finding a middle ground between killing power and sustainability. Either it can live forever and do moderate/low damage or it will die if you spit at it and can one shot almost anything.

All classes have their pros and cons. So long as you can respect what your weaknesses are and exploit your strengths you can succeed with anything. I know that isn't the exact answer you're looking for, but it's the truth. Anyone who says "you can't roam with ____" just doesn't have the patience to discipline themselves to learn it because some classes will be more punishing to learn than others, but that doesn't make it impossible.

@Zape.2094 said:Hello!

I just joined the game recently and found love for WvW really quickly. With that being said I mostly enjoy scouting and roaming, and since my revenant (berserker power herald) doesnt seem to be very good at this, I've decided to find an alternative. :)

What I am mostly interested in, is finding a class (and build) that can very easily flip camps alone, perhaps even solo a tower lord, and that can hold its ground in 1v1 fights and small scale skirmishes. I generally prefer tankier classes, since I am a newcomer and it seems like I have more room for error there.

The classes / builds I was considering are next (I'd appreciate any reviews of these builds since Im not 100% sure if they are even what I want):

P/D condi thief

Mesmer (no idea what build yet, I just thought itd be nice to have the portal utility to sneak inside an objective before the enemy caps it)

Longbow ranger (I love the idea of having 1500 range, but Im not sure if theres any viable builds for this that could also flip over camps solo? I seem to get melted way too fest on my berserker revenant to be able to solocap)

Warrior (I know the shoutbreaker build is super popular, but thats only for zergs right? Is there any roaming builds for this?)

Guardian (again, Im not sure if they are good in soloplay or small scale fights, but I really like the shout builds for zergs!).

If you have any reviews or insight on the above, or even any other recommendations itd be insanely helpful!

NA or Europe? Also, what server?

Add me in game regardless and I can provide some thief specific advice if you'd like.

@saerni.2584 said:

@Zape.2094 said:Hello!

P/D condi thief

NA or Europe? Also, what server?

Add me in game regardless and I can provide some thief specific advice if you'd like.

I will add you, that would be great! Im on EU, Far Shiverpeaks. :) Thanks everybody for loads of input, I appreciate every single one of you alot! Keep rocking!

Don't pick a roaming build based on camp flipping.

Flipping camps solo is pretty easy. If you want to do it really fast, your options are a bit more constrained. But many, many builds can do it in about 30s-1min with zero practice or effort, especially once you have WvW Rank points in "Guard Killer" to give you a ton of free endurance while you're fighting the NPCs.

If you really like Rev and want to get better at it, consider just playing more Rev.

Sword/Sword Power Herald is very mobile, a strong duelist, and reasonably capable in 1vX once you get good. Trailblazer Herald or Trailblazer Renegade are incredibly durable and versatile. (Herald for great personal sustain in a pure melee build, Renegade for the extra flexibility of shortbow — play Mallyx/Jalis and don't bother with Kaalia spirits in a condi build, imo.) Nice thing about doing it all on one character is you can switch builds/roles even if the map you're on has a full queue.

P/D Condi Thief is cancer but it's honestly more just a build check for your opponents than a real good roaming build in its own right. For thief, Power builds have much better traits and weapon support, and better play-making potential in small-scale skirmishes (imo).

@"ASP.8093" said:Don't pick a roaming build based on camp flipping.

Flipping camps solo is pretty easy. If you want to do it really fast, your options are a bit more constrained. But many, many builds can do it in about 30s-1min with zero practice or effort, especially once you have WvW Rank points in "Guard Killer" to give you a ton of free endurance while you're fighting the NPCs.

If you really like Rev and want to get better at it, consider just playing more Rev.

Sword/Sword Power Herald is very mobile, a strong duelist, and reasonably capable in 1vX once you get good. Trailblazer Herald or Trailblazer Renegade are incredibly durable and versatile. (Herald for great personal sustain in a pure melee build, Renegade for the extra flexibility of shortbow — play Mallyx/Jalis and don't bother with Kaalia spirits in a condi build, imo.) Nice thing about doing it all on one character is you can switch builds/roles even if the map you're on has a full queue.

P/D Condi Thief is cancer but it's honestly more just a build check for your opponents than a real good roaming build in its own right. For thief, Power builds have much better traits and weapon support, and better play-making potential in small-scale skirmishes (imo).

Thanks alot for your input mate, very helpful insight! Do you think P/D thief is a good duelist? I really dont like playing the revenant that much tbh, I like it in zergs cause its pretty simple, but outside of that not really. Or a longbow ranger - are there any strong builds to duel with that?

I encourage all of the people who are saying longbow/greatsword ranger to give axe/axe a try. Pulling someone, rooting them and then spinning on them for a large chunk of damage is so satisfying. You can still keep either the greatsword for block, mobility and maul, or longbow for the stealth and range depending on your playstyle. Axe 3 is also a good chunk of damage. Ranger has some of the strongest 1v1 potential in the game.

That said, mesmer and thief are right there with ranger and will still be better options for running away/resetting if staying alive is your priority. Very little in this game can speak to numerous stealths and teleports. Warrior is still a pretty solid choice, though you better land your stuns. They can chunk for a lot of damage and keep up with anyone without a teleport. Condi rev is also viable, as are scrapper/holo builds. Heck, I see some burn elementalists out there putting in work, and core necros can build to be nigh unkillable for a time. I'd say overall your best picks are thief, mesmer, ranger, engi and warrior.

Really, it all comes down to preference. Maybe hop into pvp and see which professions you enjoy playing the most? I base my play on that more than what's the most powerful during any given meta.

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:I encourage all of the people who are saying longbow/greatsword ranger to give axe/axe a try. Pulling someone, rooting them and then spinning on them for a large chunk of damage is so satisfying. You can still keep either the greatsword for block, mobility and maul, or longbow for the stealth and range depending on your playstyle. Axe 3 is also a good chunk of damage. Ranger has some of the strongest 1v1 potential in the game.Ah yes, I call it the inflateable-flailing-arms-man build. As soon as they do that, I apply all the non-projectile condi I have and watch them burn while they flail around. Sometimes for fun I stand there blocking most of the channel duration.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Kovu.7560" said:I encourage all of the people who are saying longbow/greatsword ranger to give axe/axe a try. Pulling someone, rooting them and then spinning on them for a large chunk of damage is so satisfying. You can still keep either the greatsword for block, mobility and maul, or longbow for the stealth and range depending on your playstyle. Axe 3 is also a good chunk of damage. Ranger has some of the strongest 1v1 potential in the game.Ah yes, I call it the inflateable-flailing-arms-man build. As soon as they do that, I apply all the non-projectile condi I have and watch them burn while they flail around. Sometimes for fun I stand there blocking most of the channel duration.

Retal also works. Only 23% of rangers know how to cancel a channeled ability. Fact check that. But the good ones don't open with that combo. It's supposed to be the grand finale! The coup de grace! The knockout blow! If executed correctly, after you've forced their stun breaks it'll make maul and rapid fire look like a tickle. Axe 4 -is- kind of hard to connect with, though. Best results require the ranger to eat their hyena first.

... Though now that you've brought it up I think instead of calling out "pulling" or "spinning" in comms, I'll be yelling "wacky waving inflatable flailing arms man, three down on me!" I think the channel, even quickened is long enough for that mouthful.

~ Kovu

@nsk.4762 said:

@"Zape.2094" said:...Warrior (I know the shoutbreaker build is super popular, but thats only for zergs right? Is there any roaming builds for this?)...

Hi. I'm running roaming spec shoutbreaker in these days. It's pretty fun :smiley:

Build is here ->

This one actually look really fun, I might give it a try! :) One last question for all of you guys (you've all been super helpful btw) - Which class would you generally take for picking off stragglers in a zerg? What I mean is, I love to go behind an enemy zerg and kind of nuke their backline and people who arent stacking well.... For this obviously I need a lot of range, so staff ele or longbow ranger come to my mind, but the staff ele seems way too squishy.... Ranger however doesnt seem like it can do enough damage to actually kill anybody and seems to have pretty poor AoE on the longbow. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

@Zape.2094 said:

@nsk.4762 said:

@Zape.2094 said:...Warrior (I know the shoutbreaker build is super popular, but thats only for zergs right? Is there any roaming builds for this?)...

Hi. I'm running roaming spec shoutbreaker in these days. It's pretty fun :smiley:

Build is here ->

This one actually look really fun, I might give it a try! :) One last question for all of you guys (you've all been super helpful btw) - Which class would you generally take for picking off stragglers in a zerg? What I mean is, I love to go behind an enemy zerg and kind of nuke their backline and people who arent stacking well.... For this obviously I need a lot of range, so staff ele or longbow ranger come to my mind, but the staff ele seems way too squishy.... Ranger however doesnt seem like it can do enough damage to actually kill anybody and seems to have pretty poor AoE on the longbow. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Forget staff Ele, for decent damage to pick off stragglers you're going very glassy, and as soon as you're noticed you're focused and have to withdraw. Plus the majority of projectiles are so bloody slow you never hit anything moving faster than a walk. The extra 300 range on Longbow is brutal. Most annoying way to die is at 1500 pewpewpew range when your cool-downs are gone. In most cases when I'm picked off it's either an opportunistic Thief, an aggressive Reaper with full shroud or a goddamn pewpew Ranger. As an added bonus your unmerged pet will follow a target for miles, and then add to that using "snap to target" ground targeting means you get to drop longbow 5 on targets behind walls.