Forum Signatures [merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Forum Signatures [merged]

Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Anyone has managed to unlock signatures yet? Any idea of how to? Anyone know how this worked in other forums using the same software?

Seems @Gaile Gray.6029 and @Regina Buenaobra.6193 are the only ones with a signature on the entire forum so far, and both are ArenaNet staff with special permissions and such.

If signatures are locked behind points or something like that, it would be good to know how many. Though ideally, everyone should have signatures. Maybe make them wait a few days to get them, for new accounts and such, but don't encourage people to farm karma just to get forum features.

Really want to start linking threads I open at my signature, to help give them visibility :'(.

Tagged:

Best Answer

<13

Answers

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

As far as I know they haven't said. It's possible it is just a matter of waiting a few days, since this forum has only been open for 2 days so far.

The only other forum I've used which uses the same tech is the Elder Scrolls Online forum, and that allows everyone to have a signature, but I've been an admin on other forums (mainly phpBB or Simple Machines based ones) where admins had the option to allow everyone to have a sig, or no one, or only specific people and it could be tied to pretty much any attribute, such as number of posts, rank, time on the forum, or even manually assigned to individuals.

I think we'll just have to wait and see when and how someone unlocks it.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    As far as I know they haven't said. It's possible it is just a matter of waiting a few days, since this forum has only been open for 2 days so far.

It's possible. There is at least one forum member who has had a signature since the new forums went up.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• Post like mad? Jk.

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭

@Neural.1824 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

It's possible. There is at least one forum member who has had a signature since the new forums went up.

Who is that? Maybe he can tell us.

• Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Neural.1824 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

Or who made a fake signature and copy pastes after each post B)

Be careful what you ask for. ANet might give it to you.

Kinda like what you did?

• Michael.9403Michael.9403 Member ✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

Wow. Gone for 4 weeks and we get 2 hurricanes, an earthquake, and the forums sink into the ocean. Surely the apocalypse is upon us!

edit: I suppose I have to read something to learn what that animal is beside my post, and how to cook it.

• @Michael.9403 said:
    Wow. Gone for 4 weeks and we get 2 hurricanes, an earthquake, and the forums sink into the ocean. Surely the apocalypse is upon us!

edit: I suppose I have to read something to learn what that animal is beside my post, and how to cook it.

You can click on the Gear Icon at the top of the forum, and choose Preferences, then scroll down to Change Picture, if you so desire.

Good luck.

• I wouldn't mind finding out myself. Can we get an official response as to what is needed and what features we get at what level?

• Offair.2563Offair.2563 Member ✭✭✭

Lol wut signatures are locked behind a "level"? Adventures gone forum, spam for gold reward!

Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and own you with experience.
    Big Babou, Ranger for life.

• Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

@Offair.2563 said:
    Lol wut signatures are locked behind a "level"? Adventures gone forum, spam for gold reward!

I hope the signature is not tied to any achievments or stuff like that.
    Please, Anet, let me have my little, unimportant signature so I can be a happy poster again.

"I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

• @Offair.2563 said:

Not only that, but it is an english forum only restriction. This is not an issue on the french, spanish and german forums.

Madness Rises [Rise]

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

So, I switched to german and checked the box. When I go to settings, it lets me put in a signature...but gives me an error that won't let me save it.

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• Or maybe ANet will never enable signatures for the community. On the whole, I can't see that it matters much. Most of the signatures on most forums scream for attention rather than provide any interesting insight to the poster.

There are plenty of other things I'd prefer to see ANet bring to the forums that would be more useful to us (e.g. making it easier to link to a post rather than a thread).

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Gorla.8627Gorla.8627 Member ✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017

@Ubi.4136 said:
    So, I switched to german and checked the box. When I go to settings, it lets me put in a signature...but gives me an error that won't let me save it.

I am not sure what did you try, but there is a warning that you cannot use image or emoji, which is highlighted with red if you are trying to save.
    I tried plain and simple text and it lets me save.

Madness Rises [Rise]

• Djinn.9245Djinn.9245 Member ✭✭✭

I am also curious about the signatures. If Anet isn't going to unlock them in the English forums, they should give a statement as to why.

And why does this thread have a grey "Answered" button but I can't seem to figure out what the "answer" is upon reading the thread? Anyone know how that works?

• Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

@Ubi.4136 said:

I tried it in the german-forums as well but it doesn´t work for me.
    Either it´s a bug or I haven´t reached the requirements yet.

"I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭

Seems they are still disabled, or at least I have seen no one with a signature yet.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or are we still in the dark? :anguished:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Or maybe ANet will never enable signatures for the community. On the whole, I can't see that it matters much. Most of the signatures on most forums scream for attention rather than provide any interesting insight to the poster.

Well, give an option to disable signatures for those who don't like them. I find them very useful, since I can link to my ongoing threads so that they are still visible. Same for content like fanfics, that get buried between updates.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

For everyone asking I believe this was answered in the thread talking about the new forums or the new forums discussion thread...but then again I'm in no big rush so don't really care one way or the other.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017

I wonder if they sigs will be unlocked after a month of forum participation and appropriate number of posts. A month since the new forum started would be Oct 12th I think??? To reach member rank to edit posts without a limit and send PMs was 72 hours and 5 posts. So maybe sigs will unlock after a month? Who knows? I was never a big signature person anyway but I am curious.

• Thanks for making me aware that there may be a discrepancy between forums as far as signatures. I had no idea! We're going to align the DE, ES, and FR forums to match the English, since that seems the best of the options we have at hand. Granted that will appear to be "taking away" something from some forum members, and I regret that very much. On the other hand, all of us who are involved with the forums fully discussed and agreed on the elements, including signatures availability, so I think it's best to not continue with a "have" and "have not" situation. This is all subject to testing, because while I do believe you're reporting accurately, I wonder if there's an off chance that the signatures are "client side" and not visible to others. In the end, we want to make sure that we have things properly aligned for all members in all languages.

Thanks again.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

edited October 10, 2017

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I wonder if there's an off chance that the signatures are "client side" and not visible to others.

We don't even have an option to make one. It gives an error that says, "You don't have permission to use a signature." So I don't think it is a client side thing where people just can't see them since we can't make them to start with.

• saerni.2584saerni.2584 Member ✭✭✭✭

Gaile can you let us know whether we can expect this signature functionality (if "active(tm)") before the new year?

Signatures help a lot with identifying class, server, etc. Many, myself included, would be interested in getting our signatures back.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
    Deadeye (Thief)
    Commandant of P/D and Apex Predator

• The Rank and Badge system was developed to -- to borrow a phrase from our game developers -- surprise and delight. I don't think there's anything so critical about this particular element of the forums that we need to outline the this's and that's of it. I am sure that when someone achieves that rank, they'll let everyone know. :)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Nope, nor those with Gold badges, it seems. Of course, there may be a time-restriction, as well.
    Whatever, I guess we will find out...eventually. And be delighted. =P

• AegisRunestone.8672AegisRunestone.8672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    The Rank and Badge system was developed to -- to borrow a phrase from our game developers -- surprise and delight. I don't think there's anything so critical about this particular element of the forums that we need to outline the this's and that's of it. I am sure that when someone achieves that rank, they'll let everyone know. :)

That's a bit cryptic since all we are asking for is when a person will be able to have signature? So I'm guessing this isn't enough rank, posts and badges to enable using a signature?

https://imgur.com/Q6133wC

If not it seems the requirement for a signature must be rather high. ;) Or could you toss a bone and state if there is also a time restraint similar to member level that required 72 hours of participation?

I've got over 300+ Thumbs up and almost 50 Helpfuls. I've not reached Veteran Rank and I didn't expect because weeks ago I saw another poster with much higher points in both Thumbs Up and Helpfuls and they were still Member Rank. :/

I, too, would like a to know what the specific number is or the goal to reach.

• I guess you'll add a new daily "post something useful on our new forum dagnabit"

insert generic line "------------------------------------------"
    insert generic signature "my name usually goes here"
    insert generic line "------------------------------------------"

Tootsie
    Sanctum of Rall [FLUX]
    "shut up and suck less" is the new GW2 manifesto

Maybe whoever unlocks the ability to get a signature first can put the requirements (or what they suspect are the requirements) into their signature?

My current theory is that you have to reach veteran rank and that requires a combination of number of posts/points (which I think come from badges and helpful/thumbs up) and time. The member rank was definitely time-restricted, no one could get it for the first 3 days no matter how much they posted.

edited October 10, 2017

@Danikat.8537 said:
    My current theory is that you have to reach veteran rank and that requires a combination of number of posts/points (which I think come from badges and helpful/thumbs up) and time. The member rank was definitely time-restricted, no one could get it for the first 3 days no matter how much they posted.

If this person after almost a month of forum activity isn't able to post a signature the requirement must be similar to getting a legendary. :)

https://imgur.com/bq4BACi

What I find most odd is at first Gaile said she didn't know it was an issue between forums and then wondered if it was a client side error that didn't show signatures. Then it became some secret magic formula that is meant to delight forum members when they earn it. Yuk.. Just tell us please and thanks.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

If this person after almost a month of forum activity isn't able to post a signature the requirement must be similar to getting a legendary. :)

https://imgur.com/bq4BACi

Unless one of the requirements is to be on the forum for a month.

It's quite common for forums that use ranks to add a time restriction because it discourages spamming the forum to reach it. Or at least means people who want to do that can spread their spam out, making it less annoying.

edited October 11, 2017

@Danikat.8537 said:

Unless one of the requirements is to be on the forum for a month.

Yes I already brought that up earlier in this thread. I can't see where stating the amount of time to "earn/be delighted" to have a forum sig should be such a secret. But apparently it went from an unknown issue between the various language forums that may also be a "client side" issue to some super secret formula to earn a sig meant to delight the forum member when they earn it. o_O

• @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:
    It’s always possible to make your own signature. Of course there’s the hassle of copy paste with each post, but it’s an option, although an annoying one.

(See code to center text by hitting the quote button)

Be careful what you ask for

ANet might give it to you

Disadvantage of copy-paste sig: Someone quotes you, they quote your sig with them, so it makes the post look confusing as if the other poster has a sig. @[email protected] (Happened to me today)

• @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:
    It’s always possible to make your own signature. Of course there’s the hassle of copy paste with each post, but it’s an option, although an annoying one.

(See code to center text by hitting the quote button)

ANet might give it to you

Disadvantage of copy-paste sig: Someone quotes you, they quote your sig with them, so it makes the post look confusing as if the other poster has a sig. @[email protected] (Happened to me today)

I didn’t think of that. Another annoyance of not having a proper signature in this “new and improved” forum.

Oh well.

ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Yup. Now, I can't use mine anymore. >:/

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the badges have much to do with it. I think the main issue is a timegate one, as I know some people with the gold level thumbs up badge who still havent' unlocked signatures, and I'm sure some members are approaching that for helpfuls as well.

I also don't understand why Gaile was so cryptic. Its one thing to surprise and delight us with how to rank up on the forums if there is no functionality tied behind higher ranks (

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.