Forum Signatures [merged] - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Forum Signatures [merged]

Answers

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

@OriOri.8724 said:
    I don't think the badges have much to do with it. I think the main issue is a timegate one, as I know some people with the gold level thumbs up badge who still havent' unlocked signatures, and I'm sure some members are approaching that for helpfuls as well.

Oh i can tell you its not gold level thumbs up as i have Plat (500).

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TexZero.7910 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:
    I don't think the badges have much to do with it. I think the main issue is a timegate one, as I know some people with the gold level thumbs up badge who still havent' unlocked signatures, and I'm sure some members are approaching that for helpfuls as well.

Oh i can tell you its not gold level thumbs up as i have Plat (500).

Oh lol I honestly haven't even checked the badge listings more than once, didn't realize there was a platinum.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Thanks for making me aware that there may be a discrepancy between forums as far as signatures. I had no idea! We're going to align the DE, ES, and FR forums to match the English, since that seems the best of the options we have at hand. Granted that will appear to be "taking away" something from some forum members, and I regret that very much. On the other hand, all of us who are involved with the forums fully discussed and agreed on the elements, including signatures availability, so I think it's best to not continue with a "have" and "have not" situation. This is all subject to testing, because while I do believe you're reporting accurately, I wonder if there's an off chance that the signatures are "client side" and not visible to others. In the end, we want to make sure that we have things properly aligned for all members in all languages.

Thanks again.

What??

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

I need to get some sleep instead of debating about sigs. :)

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I don't think signatures are at all important for healthy & productive discussions. I think they distract more than they benefit the community.

However, if ANet intends to include them as a feature (especially since so many people here want them), then

• The requirements should be modest: a modest number of posts (upvotes shouldn't matter at all) and a modest time-since-first-post (e.g. a week).
    • The requirements should be public.

There's simply no "delight" in what seems like an arbitrary gating of a feature common to most official gaming forums. In addition, there are players that have already achieved 10 badges and if they don't have access to signatures, well, why the heck not?

I disagree with just requiring a "modest number of posts". There's nothing stopping a troll from just trolling and then unlocking signatures. Not that this is inherently bad in and of itself to let a troll have a signature. But more so that Anet restricted them for a reason, ans then giving it away to trolls could undermine that reason depending on what it was.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• LUST.7241LUST.7241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

It seems like you need to be "Promoted" to unlock Signatures.
    Which seems like over 10 Helpful and 20 Thumbs Ups on a **single ** post. Only way to really test this theory (unnaturally) for science is a asking for Helpful/Thumbs Up and seeing when it actually triggers. Which I don't want to encourage...

Can't confirm, but looking at Gaile Gray's Promote, it kind of leads to that?
    Regina Buenaobra also has a promotion, but it doesn't link to the specific posts which triggered it...but there are two posts that fall into that criteria that were done before the forum maintenance.

All my alts are just storage for my Engi.

• If people try to test things and learn how to "game" the system then Anet will probably just change it.

• Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

In the german forum are signatures possible without restriction. I was really surprised when I saw that.
    It seems only this part of the GW2 forums is left out while they added signatures.

"I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arzurag.7506 said:
    In the german forum are signatures possible without restriction. I was really surprised when I saw that.
    It seems only this part of the GW2 forums is left out while they added signatures.

Really?! That's quite lame and discriminating from them.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• @Arzurag.7506 said:

They won't be soon (if not changed already); the new implementation will be no forums have signatures until unlocked.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LUST.7241 said:
    It seems like you need to be "Promoted" to unlock Signatures.

Not by the forum's mechanics, though. I reached 500 Thumbs Up third on this forum, and it did not unlock signatures for me. I assume those are reserved for ANet employees only, while the German version of this forum allows signatures for everyone from the start.

However, it did unlock the mail feature. But that's of no use when the person you want to write to can't respond. ;)

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    The Rank and Badge system was developed to -- to borrow a phrase from our game developers -- surprise and delight. I don't think there's anything so critical about this particular element of the forums that we need to outline the this's and that's of it. I am sure that when someone achieves that rank, they'll let everyone know. :)

Sorry Gaile but that does not make a lot of sense. All we are asking are "what are the rules for a common function" not "what is the root password".

On another thread it was theorized it was 20 thumbs up and 10 helpfuls all on the same post. That seems pretty arbitrary (and will yield to threads with people farming responses) but can you at least confirm it if that is true?

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• @Ashantara.8731 said:
    However, it did unlock the mail feature. But that's of no use when the person you want to write to can't respond. ;)

I don't even understand why they would gate mailing on the forums as an unlock.

As others have noted they seem to view this forum as a game and are putting hidden achievements in. I do not go to a forum for the same reasons as I go to a game, nor do I expect it to act like one.

Then we wonder why other forums are so popular. Why is it gaming companies are always SO bad at running a tool that has existed in one form or another since the net was even a thing?

• Hana.8143Hana.8143 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

Signatures are truly the most needed feature on the forum indeed.
    "Lvl 80 : Thief X I Kill You X / Scourge X Why U Melting Bro X / Spellbreaker Xx Turtle Warrior E P Xx"
    Such usefull informations ! :P

• Cyprien.4208Cyprien.4208 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

It's meant to surprise and delight us however we already know what it is.

I can tell you the requirement of getting the signature and personal icons it's becoming a member of the anet staff and that's not really a surprise. I honestly don't care about signatures and etc it's just extra fluff.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, at least it's not like the forum of another game I used to play where you had to have participated in 15 matches within a few days time to even be able to post on the forums.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

I don't know what the requirements are, but...
    I am now a 3-star forumer~

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• edited October 11, 2017

Bingo, Rauderi. Welcome to Veterancy. As the saying goes, "Rank has its privileges." =)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• @Hana.8143 said:
    "Lvl 80 : Thief X I Kill You X / Scourge X Why U Melting Bro X / Spellbreaker Xx Turtle Warrior E P Xx"

I can't wait until the "Hide signatures always" option that I enabled on day one will actually start suppressing signatures. It will be so delightful!

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Bingo, Rauderi. Welcome to Veterancy. As the saying goes, "Rank has its privileges." =)

I have more badges, and I don't have "veteran" status.

@Hana.8143 said:

Maybe not always useful information but a standard function on forums. Even if for the fact it is one of the few ways to add some personality to your voice on here (I do not count avatars since they are not customizable and only a few are really popular).

• I actually think you're all being ridiculous. Signatures are, on other forums, quite worthless. They clog things up, they're messy, repetitive. People write annoying things in them. So why are you acting like it's a big deal you don't have one? They're an unnecessary perk. They're only trying to incentivise ongoing forum usage. Maybe it wasn't for the best, but I truly believe it came from a good place. I'm honestly shocked at how up-in-arms most people ITT are. Really absurd.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:
    Well, at least it's not like the forum of another game I used to play where you had to have participated in 15 matches within a few days time to even be able to post on the forums.

Ugh. :(

Another decided to specifically tie forum offenses (monitored by a third party with opaque and often random rules) to account bans inworld. Brilliant move as myself and other top posters decided we would rather use different forums than risk our game accounts because someone had a bad day before reading our posts on something elsewhere. It would have been like playing Russian Roulette to stay.

• Dakota -- I believe you do!

Gaile Gray

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Dakota -- I believe you do!

It came just as I posted this! The criteria is baffling, but I think I worked it out, have a good day Gaile.

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

Edit: Seems I just got a rank up as well. Ten bucks the rank was bugged or disabled, or that it gets manually enabled. Still a mystery.

Still, I would prefer if everyone had signatures. I don't think it's fair to be forced to farm upvotes and spam posts just to unlock this. Someone like a fanfic writer that doesn't post too much will never get visibility for his work.

@Static.9841 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    The Rank and Badge system was developed to -- to borrow a phrase from our game developers -- surprise and delight. I don't think there's anything so critical about this particular element of the forums that we need to outline the this's and that's of it. I am sure that when someone achieves that rank, they'll let everyone know. :)

Given that any forum you go to outside of this one, including the old GW2 forums has most of this straight away, how do you perceive removing standard features and forcing them into random unlocks as "suprise and delight"? They aren't new special features, you've just removed ones we previously had and have forced them into a mystery unlock feature, some of which make no sense at all.

I don't even understand how you can consider this to be 'fun', it's just gating standard features for very little rhyme or reason - we have collection items in game, do we really need to 'grind' on a forum just to get basic features we used to have access to? What delight is there that we can eventually do what we used to be able to do on the old version of the forum? All you've done is over-complicated things and to consider it fun is purely asinine.

I couldn't agree more. This just adds to the pile of mistakes that have been the new forums so far (at release you couldn't edit posts after 15min, thumbs down were a thing until some ArenaNet employee got thumbed down to hell, etc).

Stop trying to gamify a tool that shouldn't be gamified to begin with. The official forums are unpopular enough already. Give us a forum that works with the basic functions that every forum has since 2005, and stop wasting your time with something no one asked for.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

Don't give them ideas.

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

Suddenly, signatures.

I wonder if something was "stuck", and in the process of checking into things, it was somehow fixed allowing people to advance.

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think they unlock with reaching 3 star rank on the forums. Which seems to be entirely time gated and has nothing to do with badges.

@Malediktus.9250 said:
    I think they unlock with reaching 3 star rank on the forums. Which seems to be entirely time gated and has nothing to do with badges.

What I was thinking since about only anet people had them until today. That is too much of a coincidence.

• You're sort of right, Palador, but folks "ranking up" -- such as yourself, happened due to anniversary times within the system, which is (and was) configured properly in all languages.

As far as signatures, though, I've been tweaking and prodding today, using my friend Google Translate (I lie, actually Google Translate and I are only distant acquaintances ;) ) in order to get things aligned for all members in every forum. Things were not set-up properly on the back end (hand on heart, 'twasn't me!) and as I mentioned yesterday I feel it's not appropriate (fair, kind) for there to be discrepancies between our language communities. So now everything is set up properly and we should see many more signatures across all the forums now.

Thanks to everyone who was patient while I looked into the situation. I think we're good to go now!

Gaile Gray

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

@Rouven.7409 said:
    Vwls nw fr sl n th frm gm str. Tn ss pr vwl, cn b sd vr mltpl psts.

:p

Fixed that for you.

Er, I mean, "Fxd tht fr y"

:P

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• So far (at least in this thread) the only common theme is 3 stars/Veterancy for the signatures some people have been posting. Checking their account stats, they vary widely in number of thumbs up and helpfuls, though so far the only person I've seen with anything under the "Promoted" field is @Gaile Gray.6029, though her signature is almost assuredly from being an ANET employee.

Not that it couldn't be simply earned by posts (as everyone loves Gaile and she's got a ton of points), it just goes to show the lack of understanding on our part what it takes to hit the next tier of membership in the forums.

Most likely options so far:
    Time spent with an account linked to these specific forums
    Thresholds for Helpfuls and/or Thumbs Up
    Thresholds for # of badges earned

"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    Tempest, Spellbreaker, Mirage, Scourge
    [AGNY] - Eternal Agony Guild, Sanctum of Rall

edited October 11, 2017

Thanks for letting us use sigs Gaile!

• @UnbentMars.9126 said:
    So far (at least in this thread) the only common theme is 3 stars/Veterancy for the signatures some people have been posting. Checking their account stats, they vary widely in number of thumbs up and helpfuls, though so far the only person I've seen with anything under the "Promoted" field is @Gaile Gray.6029, though her signature is almost assuredly from being an ANET employee.

Not that it couldn't be simply earned by posts (as everyone loves Gaile and she's got a ton of points), it just goes to show the lack of understanding on our part what it takes to hit the next tier of membership in the forums.

Most likely options so far:
    Time spent with an account linked to these specific forums
    Thresholds for Helpfuls and/or Thumbs Up
    Thresholds for # of badges earned

Man, people have been commenting fast on this...Never mind about my guesses, Gaile let us know how that works while I was typing mine lol. Thanks Gaile! Does anyone know if there's a way to see a "Member since" field? I can't find one

"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    Tempest, Spellbreaker, Mirage, Scourge
    [AGNY] - Eternal Agony Guild, Sanctum of Rall

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

Got my signature this morning. Received an announcement that I had reached Veteran rank. Checked and signature was unlocked.

Maybe time? I haven’t gotten any new badges since yesterday.

Edit: it appears Gaile has tweaked the system

@Gaile Gray.6029
    As far as signatures, though, I've been tweaking and prodding today, using my friend Google Translate (I lie, actually Google Translate and I are only distant acquaintances ;) ) in order to get things aligned for all members in every forum. Things were not set-up properly on the back end (hand on heart, 'twasn't me!) and as I mentioned yesterday I feel it's not appropriate (fair, kind) for there to be discrepancies between our language communities. So now everything is set up properly and we should see many more signatures across all the forums no

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Hey guys,

While signatures are available for many of you now, we'd like to let you know that we anticipate that signatures will be standard text. Lonami kindly pointed out that the new signature block for their account was wonky, and it definitely is. As it turns out, disabling heading text on the signatures would involve disabling heading text on the content, too. And as you can imagine, we quite like having headings on the new forums because they enhance things like update notes, so we don't want to give up that option for possible edge cases with too-large signatures. So....

Please use standard forum text for signatures.

If someone uses larger text (through heading options) the moderators will be asking them to change to standard text. I'd like to reduce the time wasted handling those situations by asking for everyone's cooperation. If signatures are standard text, all is well. Thanks!

Gaile Gray

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.