Any Necro PvP Video Guides?

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2

I don't know of anyone that does 1v1 guides for necromancer, largely because there very few if any circumstances where taking a 1v1 is a smart move for a necromancer largely due to how vulnerable to the class is to getting +1'ed, and the lack of disengage potential in the case of said 1v1 going south.

I have a channel that does gameplay with commentary for what it's worth.

yeah i figured as much there wouldn't be much to find. Neither would i take my necro to focus on 1 v 1 in ranked once i get the proper hang of it. point is that i want to have atleast the 1 v 1 in case i got no choice but to 1 v 1 or when u need to make a certain rotation to carry a match.

i've taken a look at some of your vids crinn and they seem to be so far from a power reaper point of view. i do find u discussing your decisions with your guard friend handy.

At solstice i see quite some interesting vids. i will check them out

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:Most people don't make that kind of content because Necromancer isn't a 1v1 class and has pretty polarized matchups, but if you want some viewpoints of different Necromancer builds in general you can check out my YouTube channel, and I'm more than willing to talk about matchups if you need help.

Also i forgot to ask. yeah talking about match-ups and what to do would be fine cause i will eventually have to deal with 1 v 1's or 1 v X anyways. knowing how to atleast hold my own would be a start.

@"Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318" said:

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:Most people don't make that kind of content because Necromancer isn't a 1v1 class and has pretty polarized matchups, but if you want some viewpoints of different Necromancer builds in general you can check out my YouTube channel, and I'm more than willing to talk about matchups if you need help.

Also i forgot to ask. yeah talking about match-ups and what to do would be fine cause i will eventually have to deal with 1 v 1's or 1 v X anyways. knowing how to atleast hold my own would be a start.

Sure thing, there can be a lot to say so go ahead and pick a matchup and we'll go from there.

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:

Sure thing, there can be a lot to say so go ahead and pick a matchup and we'll go from there.

How bout we start with DP meta daredevil?

Ok, so I'll be speaking from the viewpoint of explicitly 1v1 from here on, using http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBmWDbkjG6sxmbw8G4vxixgR1EiCDh4dYQ8IG9zCADAA-jpRHQBF8CAAwjAg/KDIgHAA82fAAHEAA as Condi and using http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR3dnMbCtbilbCm3A0biFcBLarlv+AQtpAwBIuK2FDjA-jphIAB7fEA4+BAQdZgb2fAgLAg/HEAA as Power:

Power: In the Thief matchup, you mostly have to leverage their engages/disengages with your weapon-sets and Shroud, trying to fill damage in between the gaps. When the Thief hard engages on you, you swap to Greatsword and drop a Nightfall because it's hard for them to profitably trade with you when you have consistent sources of damage coming out that also act as soft-CC. When they attempt to disengage, you simply swap to Axe and pressure them as they try to resustain. Thieves pretty much always take this time to cast heal and prep a Basi Venom, so it's an easy window to land some good damage and force them onto the back foot, rather than the other way around. If you give a Thief room to breathe then they'll just try to cast Headshot on you until you're dead. It's important to optimize sustain in the fight, so make sure to cast your heal as often as you can, especially given its low cooldown. Other strong synergies are the fact that you can Corrupt Boon the Stability they may Steal from you, and you can use Suffer to potentially transfer the Stolen Fear back onto the Thief if you get lucky on the transfer and your timing is just after being struck.

Condi: This fight is a bit more hit or miss, since your sustain is lower but the Thief doesn't have Escapist's Absolution. The goal here is to land a couple cooldowns that matter before getting blasted. Corrosive Poison Cloud (CPC) is actually really quite friendly in this duel because it blocks Shortbow projectiles, Headshot, and Black Powder bullet, while also cleansing Blind and applying Weakness. In a pinch you can use CPC when you know the Thief's Steal is on cooldown to secure a Consume Conditions cast, which will also heal you for more because of the self-applied conditions. Because you're running Deadshot, the added Condition Duration means that the Fear from Terrify (RS3) is long enough to land an uncontested Executioner's Scythe, so this is an easy wombo combo to force the Thief's Shadowstep or even just mostly kill them. The biggest issue in this matchup is the fact that Scepter is generally slow, so you need to really optimize casts through evade frames, Locust Swarm to keep Blinds under control, and CPC for damage and mitigation.

Overall: Thief cooldowns are relatively low, so you really need to be efficient with casting and pressure in the matchup in order to capitalize on the Thief being gassed of certain utilities. In my opinion, you really need to be aggressive in your approach to entering and leaving Shroud so that if the Thief tries to pull away, you're already casting something fresh on them from range, and if they try re-engaging you are more likely to have Shroud available to you again, on top of whatever other skills you have.

Feel free to ask questions on specifics if I missed something or there's just something else you want to know that I may have an answer for.

Ok, so I'll be speaking from the viewpoint of explicitly 1v1 from here on, using
as Condi and using
as Power:

Power: In the Thief matchup, you mostly have to leverage their engages/disengages with your weapon-sets and Shroud, trying to fill damage in between the gaps. When the Thief hard engages on you, you swap to Greatsword and drop a Nightfall because it's hard for them to profitably trade with you when you have consistent sources of damage coming out that also act as soft-CC. When they attempt to disengage, you simply swap to Axe and pressure them as they try to resustain. Thieves pretty much always take this time to cast heal and prep a Basi Venom, so it's an easy window to land some good damage and force them onto the back foot, rather than the other way around. If you give a Thief room to breathe then they'll just try to cast Headshot on you until you're dead. It's important to optimize sustain in the fight, so make sure to cast your heal as often as you can, especially given its low cooldown. Other strong synergies are the fact that you can Corrupt Boon the Stability they may Steal from you, and you can use Suffer to potentially transfer the Stolen Fear back onto the Thief if you get lucky on the transfer and your timing is just after being struck.

Condi: This fight is a bit more hit or miss, since your sustain is lower but the Thief doesn't have Escapist's Absolution. The goal here is to land a couple cooldowns that matter before getting blasted. Corrosive Poison Cloud (CPC) is actually really quite friendly in this duel because it blocks Shortbow projectiles, Headshot, and Black Powder bullet, while also cleansing Blind and applying Weakness. In a pinch you can use CPC when you know the Thief's Steal is on cooldown to secure a Consume Conditions cast, which will also heal you for more because of the self-applied conditions. Because you're running Deadshot, the added Condition Duration means that the Fear from Terrify (RS3) is long enough to land an uncontested Executioner's Scythe, so this is an easy wombo combo to force the Thief's Shadowstep or even just mostly kill them. The biggest issue in this matchup is the fact that Scepter is generally slow, so you need to really optimize casts through evade frames, Locust Swarm to keep Blinds under control, and CPC for damage and mitigation.

Overall: Thief cooldowns are relatively low, so you really need to be efficient with casting and pressure in the matchup in order to capitalize on the Thief being gassed of certain utilities. In my opinion, you really need to be aggressive in your approach to entering and leaving Shroud so that if the Thief tries to pull away, you're already casting something fresh on them from range, and if they try re-engaging you are more likely to have Shroud available to you again, on top of whatever other skills you have.

Feel free to ask questions on specifics if I missed something or there's just something else you want to know that I may have an answer for.

this really helped a lot. quite frankly just as i asked about thief i was experimenting with corrosive poison cloud and had limited success.i was fighting reactionary as i'm not used to the slow gameplay of necro. however landing locust swarm and corrosive poisoncloud as u described has now actually made going into melee range during reapershroud possible also the fear on shroud 3 and reaper scyth combo is incredibly nice. i can now counter pressure thiefs even.

ok so bout we handle warriors today? how do i get them off me? I play condi build. so far i've only fought them in the custom 1 v 1 arenas and i don't Always have the pleasure of kiting and juking as i sometime are on a flat surface without anything to hide behind. I'm specifcally talking about gs mace burst and greataxe. ofcourse a general outline on macebow and ragezerker is appreciated as well.

Ok, so I'll be speaking from the viewpoint of explicitly 1v1 from here on, using
as Condi and using
as Power:

this really helped a lot. quite frankly just as i asked about thief i was experimenting with corrosive poison cloud and had limited success.i was fighting reactionary as i'm not used to the slow gameplay of necro. however landing locust swarm and corrosive poisoncloud as u described has now actually made going into melee range during reapershroud possible also the fear on shroud 3 and reaper scyth combo is incredibly nice. i can now counter pressure thiefs even.

ok so bout we handle warriors today? how do i get them off me? I play condi build. so far i've only fought them in the custom 1 v 1 arenas and i don't Always have the pleasure of kiting and juking as i sometime are on a flat surface without anything to hide behind. I'm specifcally talking about gs mace burst and greataxe. ofcourse a general outline on macebow and ragezerker is appreciated as well.

Most of what I'm going to tell you for any of these matchups is from the experience of many many hours inside of dueling servers; they're my number one AFK location and time-waste spot.

Condi vs. Warrior is mostly about leveraging your damage versus theirs. Since everything they do does damage, it's mostly a game of landing your big damage while dodging their highest damage abilities. This means eating certain abilities with your face in the most efficient manner possible. First and foremost you should pop a CC on them early to proc their passive Balanced Stance, since this makes your engage better by giving you more value on your scepter autos and giving you an upfront usage for Corrupt Boon; the sooner you can get their Berserker Stance out of them the better. Second is when they use Berserker Stance, save your Corrupt Boon for the last tick in order to actually strip the whole stack without reapplication. Use Foot in the Grave to profitably eat the Shield Bash and dodge the almost guaranteed follow-up. Don't bother dodging Whirlwind Blade, in fact use it as a tool to get fresh distance between you and the Warrior, and then dodge the Rush that will likely follow. Since you're not using Path of Corruption, you can and should use Death's Charge primarily as a tool for kiting and opening gaps. Mace and Axe both have small issues with closing a gap that's been opened, so Death's Charge gives you a great way to open it back up and start getting back to the Scepter work, or prepare casting Executioner's Scythe and Soul Spiral. Remember that Chilling Bolts from the field get "shot" a small range, so there's kite utility to be had there. There is also value in simply dropping Executioner's Scythe at your feet and leaving Shroud while remaining in the field; since the field is unblockable it gives you a decent zone of influence where you can just freecast Scepter abilities and the field will give you free damage and kite power if the Warrior comes at you. Try to always have Stability, a stunbreak, or a dodge for Bull's Charge, because the damage and CC duration is crazy. Corrosive Poison Cloud can eat Axe Throw, so that's pretty sweet, and the Weakness uptime of the build allows you to take and trade hits here and there. Ultimately the goal is to not get cheesed by a CC wombo combo and manage to hit your blows in between all of the dodge spam. Warrior isn't a terribly fun fight because one mistake from you means you generally die, and wins are usually on the backs of larger misplays from the Warrior or RNG miracles more so than actual skill. Like, there are times where you win a duel for free because you literally Scepter auto the Stability on the Warrior two times in a row and just cheese them with the free damage window, and then there are times where you lose for free because you get hit through Weakness 6 times in a row or you eat a single ability that happens to crit for 8k through Weakness.

Condi vs. Greatbow is pretty garbage as a matchup, because we don't always have the burst we need and the infinite Cleansing Ire is extremely punishing. The build is somewhat a hard-counter to us, but you can always catch the Warrior in a bind with a good Corrupt Boon into CC wombo combo from Shroud. Corrosive Poison Cloud helps in its own way by allowing you to potentially outplay the Warrior and eat both the F1 and the Blast arrow, but generally speaking this matchup is a pain and you shouldn't feel too bad.

To be honest Macebow isn't even really a build that exists, so I wouldn't think too much of it, and Ragezerker falls victim to getting kited when they pop F2. It's very similar to the Core Warrior matchup, except there's a bit of extra emphasis on the game of keep-away when F2 has been popped.

As always, feel free to ask questions about anything I may have missed, or we can move on to the next one.

as Condi and using
as Power:

Most of what I'm going to tell you for any of these matchups is from the experience of many many hours inside of dueling servers; they're my number one AFK location and time-waste spot.

Condi vs. Warrior is mostly about leveraging your damage versus theirs. Since everything they do does damage, it's mostly a game of landing your big damage while dodging their highest damage abilities. This means eating certain abilities with your face in the most efficient manner possible. First and foremost you should pop a CC on them early to proc their passive Balanced Stance, since this makes your engage
better
by giving you more value on your scepter autos and giving you an upfront usage for Corrupt Boon; the sooner you can get their Berserker Stance out of them the better. Second is when they use Berserker Stance, save your Corrupt Boon for the last tick in order to actually strip the whole stack without reapplication. Use Foot in the Grave to profitably eat the Shield Bash and dodge the almost guaranteed follow-up. Don't bother dodging Whirlwind Blade, in fact use it as a tool to get fresh distance between you and the Warrior, and then dodge the Rush that will likely follow. Since you're not using Path of Corruption, you can and should use Death's Charge primarily as a tool for kiting and opening gaps. Mace and Axe both have small issues with closing a gap that's been opened, so Death's Charge gives you a great way to open it back up and start getting back to the Scepter work, or prepare casting Executioner's Scythe and Soul Spiral. Remember that Chilling Bolts from the field get "shot" a small range, so there's kite utility to be had there. There is also value in simply dropping Executioner's Scythe at your feet and leaving Shroud while remaining in the field; since the field is unblockable it gives you a decent zone of influence where you can just freecast Scepter abilities and the field will give you free damage and kite power if the Warrior comes at you. Try to always have Stability, a stunbreak, or a dodge for Bull's Charge, because the damage and CC duration is crazy. Corrosive Poison Cloud can eat Axe Throw, so that's pretty sweet, and the Weakness uptime of the build allows you to take and trade hits here and there. Ultimately the goal is to not get cheesed by a CC wombo combo and manage to hit your blows in between all of the dodge spam. Warrior isn't a terribly fun fight because one mistake from you means you generally die, and wins are usually on the backs of larger misplays from the Warrior or RNG miracles more so than actual skill. Like, there are times where you win a duel for free because you literally Scepter auto the Stability on the Warrior two times in a row and just cheese them with the free damage window, and then there are times where you lose for free because you get hit through Weakness 6 times in a row or you eat a single ability that happens to crit for 8k through Weakness.

Condi vs. Greatbow is pretty garbage as a matchup, because we don't always have the burst we need and the infinite Cleansing Ire is extremely punishing. The build is somewhat a hard-counter to us, but you can always catch the Warrior in a bind with a good Corrupt Boon into CC wombo combo from Shroud. Corrosive Poison Cloud helps in its own way by allowing you to potentially outplay the Warrior and eat both the F1 and the Blast arrow, but generally speaking this matchup is a pain and you shouldn't feel too bad.

To be honest Macebow isn't even really a build that exists, so I wouldn't think too much of it, and Ragezerker falls victim to getting kited when they pop F2. It's very similar to the Core Warrior matchup, except there's a bit of extra emphasis on the game of keep-away when F2 has been popped.

As always, feel free to ask questions about anything I may have missed, or we can move on to the next one.

thanx again this really worked. last matchup will be dh. the rest i can figure out and or do decently against. your tips have been really helpfull. ok so yeah DH and then we are done for now.

as Condi and using
as Power:

Condi vs. Warrior is mostly about leveraging your damage versus theirs. Since everything they do does damage, it's mostly a game of landing your big damage while dodging their highest damage abilities. This means eating certain abilities with your face in the most efficient manner possible. First and foremost you should pop a CC on them early to proc their passive Balanced Stance, since this makes your engage
better
by giving you more value on your scepter autos and giving you an upfront usage for Corrupt Boon; the sooner you can get their Berserker Stance out of them the better. Second is when they use Berserker Stance, save your Corrupt Boon for the last tick in order to actually strip the whole stack without reapplication. Use Foot in the Grave to profitably eat the Shield Bash and dodge the almost guaranteed follow-up. Don't bother dodging Whirlwind Blade, in fact use it as a tool to get fresh distance between you and the Warrior, and then dodge the Rush that will likely follow. Since you're not using Path of Corruption, you can and should use Death's Charge primarily as a tool for kiting and opening gaps. Mace and Axe both have small issues with closing a gap that's been opened, so Death's Charge gives you a great way to open it back up and start getting back to the Scepter work, or prepare casting Executioner's Scythe and Soul Spiral. Remember that Chilling Bolts from the field get "shot" a small range, so there's kite utility to be had there. There is also value in simply dropping Executioner's Scythe at your feet and leaving Shroud while remaining in the field; since the field is unblockable it gives you a decent zone of influence where you can just freecast Scepter abilities and the field will give you free damage and kite power if the Warrior comes at you. Try to always have Stability, a stunbreak, or a dodge for Bull's Charge, because the damage and CC duration is crazy. Corrosive Poison Cloud can eat Axe Throw, so that's pretty sweet, and the Weakness uptime of the build allows you to take and trade hits here and there. Ultimately the goal is to not get cheesed by a CC wombo combo and manage to hit your blows in between all of the dodge spam. Warrior isn't a terribly fun fight because one mistake from you means you generally die, and wins are usually on the backs of larger misplays from the Warrior or RNG miracles more so than actual skill. Like, there are times where you win a duel for free because you literally Scepter auto the Stability on the Warrior two times in a row and just cheese them with the free damage window, and then there are times where you lose for free because you get hit through Weakness 6 times in a row or you eat a single ability that happens to crit for 8k through Weakness.

thanx again this really worked. last matchup will be dh. the rest i can figure out and or do decently against. your tips have been really helpfull. ok so yeah DH and then we are done for now.

No problem man, I'm glad I've been able to help you out.

Condi vs. DH: This matchup is honestly very much predicated on whether or not you eat the pull. If you allow the DH to make a ragdoll out of your corpse, it will equate to a ton of free damage that will heavily skew the duel. If you can dodge the pull that's great, otherwise you need to try to Stab through it or stunbreak it as soon as it occurs to avoid getting pulled into the combo. Outside of this, it's mostly just a brain game of remembering where traps were placed and avoiding them if possible, and dodging True Shot. Just use Corrosive Poison Cloud to win trades at range, use Shroud to beat melee engages and Death's Charge to reopen the gap, and try to avoid giving away free CC through things like Deflecting Shot. As you can probably imagine, Corrupt Boon the Shield of Courage every time to try and flip the Stability, and when the Fear causes them to turn their Shield away from you, land a Feast of Corruption for value.In my own personal experience, the duel is literally won or lost entirely on the back of a good Spear of Justice, so try to pay extra attention to the engage to avoid getting more-or-less cheesed.

Once PoF launches, Nos has announced he will be back to streaming and watching his streams is probably your best shot at learning necro. You can find him on twitch -https://twitch.tv/noscoc/

I've also seen Posi streaming sometimes (although doesn't always seem to be on necro), you can find his stream on twitch. Definitely not good as Nos, but also way better than average necro you find nowadays, played some tournaments. https://twitch.tv/posisn

Aside from those two, you have the rest of streamers and youtubers, but take what they say with a grain of salt. There are some good necro players that may or may not come back for the expansion and start streaming or multi-class players (like denshee) picking up necro and doing well on it in the future.

Archived