Blackscreen

Hi folks! This is my first time openning a discussion and thats because I dont know what else to do.First of all I'm going to put you in context, this is my actual setup.

i5 7400GTX 9508GBSSDThermaltake TR2 650W (I think its not generic)

Recently I bought that GTX 950 (its second handed but I trust that its fine) and after it those blackscreen started appearing. Previously I used to play with my old Sapphire AMD 5830 HD and sometimes this one used to crash while I was playing, that was a different kind of crash, there was a blackscreen too but I could hear the GPU cooler spinning very fast (maybe something about temperature protection). I used to think that it was my GPU's problem but now Im thinking that it could be my power supply.

Now, comming back to my actual setup (gtx 950) Im having that issue, its not the same because theres a blackscreen but I can hear the game in the background, no matter what I have to restart my PC too because theres nothing I can do (yes I tried alt + tab).At the beggining I though it was something about drivers so I reinstaled them all again but it didnt work.I though it was something about temperature protection so I bought a cooler and I put it on the back of my PC but it didnt work neither.I was really tired of those blackscreens so I took it serious and I started on google. Some guy said something about testing every component separate from the others and I did it.I ran PRIME95 to stress my CPU, it temperature raised to 81-82 ° C and I decided to stop it (because I was afraid to damage it and because my CPU's temperature while Im playing its around 65 ° C.I ran FURMARK test. It stressed my GPU (720p and 1080p) and the temperature raised to 75-76 ° C.There is where I confirm that my GPU, CPU and power supply its working fine because after 20-25m of FURMARK test my PC should've crashed with that temperature and every component working at 100%.Heres more information about how my components works when Im playing, my GPU temperature raises up to 60-68 ° C as I said and it works at 65-70% of its totality, same to my CPU it temperature raises up to 65-67 ° C and it works at 80-85%.

After all of it I decided to reinstall my GPU drivers but this time I used DDU to delete everything first and install them completely fresh, so I did but it didnt work !!!At this point I have no idea what to do and Im thinking its a software issue.If anyone could give me some help Ill be so gratefull

By the way it happens to every game I play, happened with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, Monsters Hunter and of course Guild Wars 2.

You can max stress test your power supply when you run prime95 and furmark at once. This will put maximum load on CPU and GPU.

If the power supply is not broken it should have no issues with your pc. All your components have a low power drain. Your whole PC does consume less than 200 watts when gaming.

Following your description (gpu fans are going crazy, black screen, crash) it is either a gpu or power supply issue. The gpu fans are suddenly spinning up, if the gpu driver is reset by the OS after a failure has been detected. This can save the PC from crashing completely, but does not necessarily (as you experience).

@KrHome.1920 said:You can max stress test your power supply when you run prime95 and furmark at once. This will put maximum load on CPU and GPU.

If the power supply is not broken it should have no issues with your pc. All your components have a low power drain. Your whole PC does consume less than 200 watts when gaming.

Following your description (gpu fans are going crazy, black screen, crash) it is either a gpu or power supply issue. The gpu fans are suddenly spinning up, if the gpu driver is reset by the OS after a failure has been detected. This can save the PC from crashing completely, but does not necessarily (as you experience).

Thank you for your reply, I didnt though about using furmark and prime 95 at the same time, i will try.Anyway that situation with my gpu fan going crazy happened to my old vid card, it never happened to my actual vid card. Btw I just realize that gpu's fan isnt spinning while it temperature is around 60°C is that right?

@Cramero.1792 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:You can max stress test your power supply when you run prime95 and furmark at once. This will put maximum load on CPU and GPU.

Thank you for your reply, I didnt though about using furmark and prime 95 at the same time, i will try.Anyway that situation with my gpu fan going crazy happened to my old vid card, it never happened to my actual vid card. Btw I just realize that gpu's fan isnt spinning while it temperature is around 60°C is that right?GPUs do that spin-up sometimes when the driver is reset, because the gpu is newly initialized, like when you turn on your PC. So your 5830 behaved like expected. That and the sometimes still working background sound was the main reason why I am quite sure you have to deal with gpu driver resets.

Modern gpus often have a zero-fan mode in their firmware, that disables the fans below a certain temperature threshold. For example the fans of my gpu activate at 60 degrees. I have also had gpus with zero-fan modes till 45 or 50 degrees. If your fans are still not spinning above 70 degrees I would become worried.

You can disable zero-fan via custom fan-profile applications like MSi afterburner (or in the AMD driver, which is irrelevant for you currently as you have a geforce).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:This issue has come up a few times on the forums. Have you tried using the 'Search' feature? There may be some tips, workarounds, or solutions found in the threads.

Good luck.

Thank you for your answer, this in my first time here so I decided that it could be better to explain the whole situation. I will search!

@KrHome.1920 said:

Thank you for your reply, I didnt though about using furmark and prime 95 at the same time, i will try.Anyway that situation with my gpu fan going crazy happened to my old vid card, it never happened to my actual vid card. Btw I just realize that gpu's fan isnt spinning while it temperature is around 60°C is that right?GPUs do that spin-up sometimes when the driver is reset, because the gpu is newly initialized, like when you turn on your PC. So your 5830 behaved like expected. That and the sometimes still working background sound was the main reason why I am quite sure you have to deal with gpu driver resets.

Modern gpus often have a zero-fan mode in their firmware, that disables the fans below a certain temperature threshold. For example the fans of my gpu activate at 60 degrees. I have also had gpus with zero-fan mode till 45 and 50 degrees. If your fans are still not spinning above 70 degrees I would become worried.

You can disable zero-fan via custom fan-profile applications like MSi afterburner (or in the AMD driver, which is irrelevant for you currently as you have a geforce).

Thanks for the advice and information about drivers, anyway Im pretty sure I installed them properlly last time.

@Cramero.1792 said:

Modern gpus often have a zero-fan mode in their firmware, that disables the fans below a certain temperature threshold. For example the fans of my gpu activate at 60 degrees. I have also had gpus with zero-fan mode till 45 and 50 degrees. If your fans are still not spinning above 70 degrees I would become worried.

Thanks for the advice and information about drivers, anyway Im pretty sure I installed them properlly last time.The reset happens due to a hardware failure - most likely either your power supply or your gpu.

Not properly installed drivers normally don't crash and reset. They just don't work or lack features.

Well as you suggested I tried furmark + prime95 and I added gw2 in the background. I took a shower while it was stressing af my pc and guess what, no blackscreen or shutdown. So I think thats kind a software problem isnt it?

Hi guys! Lastnight someone tried to help me in game and told me to use Glary Utilities, I did in fact and it found A LOT of problems and 27GB of cache o.O.After that my pc worked fine but I didnt try to play a match because I wasnt sure. This morning I played some pve with my thief and PC worked fine, not even an attempt of crash or blackscreen. I noticed some ups and downs at my FPS when we were doing some legendarie bosses so it made me think about my drivers. I didnt change anything.A few minutes later I came back to play so matches and it worked good, some up and downs at my FPS but no crash, I decided to put graph settings at high and my PC crashed again.Once again blackscreen with a loop sound in the background and after a few seconds I could hear the game like it used to happen. I shut down my PC, took off the RAM and cleaned it with a eraser. Turned on my PC, opened Gw2 and somehow those ups and downs of FPS stopped happening, I guess it was something like bottleneck effect.At the end of it all. Could it be possible that those shut downs came from a bottleneck effect comming from my RAM?

I would like to get some help. My PC keeps restarting itself randomly while Im playing.I played Fallout4 for almost 40min and I didnt experience any restart but I played Gw2 for almost the same amount of time and I got 2 shutdowns.I tried with windows 10 memory check and it says that my RAM its fine, same with power troubleshooting saying that my power supply its okay.Is there anything I could do?

1. When the GPU fans are spinning at highest speed all the time, your rig is definitely having a severe overheating issue. It might need a thorough cleanup (use a soft brush and compressed air, remove the graphics card etc and clean those as well). Furthermore, if the PC has been in use for a couple of years, you might need to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU (best have it done by someone who knows how) - great opportunity to give the CPU cooler a thorough cleanup.
  2. P.S. on overheating --> Does your rig have enough fans and a proper flow of air (inbound as well as outbound)?
  3. Yes, a system shutdown usually means the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is protecting the system from further damage. If it's a reset, it could be a faulty PSU. I would try to replace that before going for the more expensive components (it could be anything, really, like a faulty motherboard).

@Cramero.1792 said:Once again blackscreen with a loop sound in the background and after a few seconds I could hear the game like it used to happen.

See what I wrote earlier.

took off the RAM and cleaned it with a eraser.

You what?! :o How much filth had your PC gathered for you to have to refer to such a drastical method? :lol: Clean your PC at least twice a year and you shouldn't have to go there. ;)

Could it be possible that those shut downs came from a bottleneck effect comming from my RAM?

Not really (though 8 GB isn't much these days) unless you applied too little virtual memory for 8 GB of RAM.

Your CPU is fine, it's your GPU and Ram that is most likely causing your issues. GTX950 has 2G Vram and you are running on only 8GB. You can run settings on high, and live with the issues you are having with it (blackscreen) It is a reasonable GPU it isn't the worst, but there is better, since Ram is cheaper, I suggest giving yourself at least 16GB ram (which imo is just the normal now)And yes I use to run GW2 on 8GB Ram and a GTX960 and I didn't have the same issues are you are having right now, but that is because I played it on medium to low settings =/I upgraded to a gtx1060 and 16G ram and I have no issues with the game at all (only server side issues and my lovely (normal) ping of about 220) lol

@Ashantara.8731 said:

1. When the GPU fans are spinning at highest speed all the time, your rig is definitely having a severe overheating issue. It might need a thorough cleanup (use a soft brush and compressed air, remove the graphics card etc and clean those as well). Furthermore, if the PC has been in use for a couple of years, you might need to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU (best have it done by someone who knows how) - great opportunity to give the CPU cooler a thorough cleanup.
  2. P.S. on overheating --> Does your rig have enough fans and a proper flow of air (inbound as well as outbound)?
  3. Yes, a system shutdown usually means the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is protecting the system from further damage. If it's a reset, it could be a faulty PSU. I would try to replace that before going for the more expensive components (it could be anything, really, like a faulty motherboard).

@Cramero.1792 said:Once again blackscreen with a loop sound in the background and after a few seconds I could hear the game like it used to happen.

See what I wrote earlier.

took off the RAM and
cleaned it with a eraser

You what?! :o How much filth had your PC gathered for you to have to refer to such a drastical method? :lol: Clean your PC at least twice a year and you shouldn't have to go there. ;)

Could it be possible that those shut downs came from a bottleneck effect comming from my RAM?

Not really (though 8 GB isn't much these days) unless you applied too little virtual memory for 8 GB of RAM.

Ty for your advice but I clean my PC very often, this is the first time I try that thing with the memory. I changed thermal paste too my CPU and GPU a few days ago when I cleaned it up.

@Nythrilyn.2146 said:Your CPU is fine, it's your GPU and Ram that is most likely causing your issues. GTX950 has 2G Vram and you are running on only 8GB. You can run settings on high, and live with the issues you are having with it (blackscreen) It is a reasonable GPU it isn't the worst, but there is better, since Ram is cheaper, I suggest giving yourself at least 16GB ram (which imo is just the normal now)And yes I use to run GW2 on 8GB Ram and a GTX960 and I didn't have the same issues are you are having right now, but that is because I played it on medium to low settings =/I upgraded to a gtx1060 and 16G ram and I have no issues with the game at all (only server side issues and my lovely (normal) ping of about 220) lol

I used to play Gw2 with AMD 5830 which has only 1G Vram and I never experienced it, btw there was a time when I played with 4GB RAM. I think my actual setup its pretty much enough to run it.To be honest I play Gw2 in low settings a few days ago and it didnt happen, so I think theres something about what you say that makes sense.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Cramero.1792" said:Ty for your advice but I clean my PC very often, this is the first time I try that thing with the memory. I changed thermal paste too my CPU and GPU a few days ago when I cleaned it up.

Ah, that is good to hear. :)

What's your current Virtual Memory setting?

I guess thats what you are asking for. Ill give you an screen.https://ibb.co/6WcbhdC

@Cramero.1792 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:What's your current Virtual Memory setting?I guess thats what you are asking for. Ill give you an screen.

It is best in Windows 10 to let Windows automatically manage the paging file size and location. It will likely create paging files on several frequently used partitions, which is good, because it increases performance as Windows will always use the paging file that is not on the currently used partition.

I therefore strongly recommend you switch to the first option by checking the box "Administrar automáticamente [...]".

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:What's your current Virtual Memory setting?I guess thats what you are asking for. Ill give you an screen.

It is best in Windows 10 to let Windows automatically manage the paging file size and location. It will likely create paging files on several frequently used partitions, which is good, because it increases performance as Windows will always use the paging file that is
not
on the currently used partition.

I therefore strongly recommend you switch to the first option by checking the box "Administrar automáticamente [...]".

I will but it wont make any change because that was set up this way before and my crashed too

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Cramero.1792" said:I will but it wont make any change because that was set up this way before and my crashed too

Did you mean "it won't make a difference" and that your PC crashed before when you had the recommended setting active?I used to have recommended setting and my PC shut down many times before I decided to change it. I changed it because I wanted to make a report with WhoCrashed and I needed to set up virtual memorie to create those dump files. Unfortunately I never had the chance to create them but I left the virtual memorie configured this way.So, in the past, with recomended setting, I experienced crashes too and in the present with that setup I have crashes too. I dont think thats the issue.

@Cramero.1792 said:So, in the past, with recomended setting, I experienced crashes too and in the present with that setup I have crashes too. I dont think thats the issue.

A blackscreen is never caused by the lack of RAM or VM, so yeah, that's certainly not the cause. Since you seem 100% certain that there is no overheating issue (what are your hardware temps, by the way?), it could be a hardware issue (e.g., the motherboard) or an issue with your hyper-threading or overclocking settings in BIOS.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Cramero.1792 said:So, in the past, with recomended setting, I experienced crashes too and in the present with that setup I have crashes too. I dont think thats the issue.

A blackscreen is never caused by the lack of RAM or VM, so yeah, that's certainly not the cause. Since you seem 100% certain that there is no overheating issue (what are your hardware temps, by the way?), it could be a hardware issue (e.g., the motherboard) or an issue with your hyper-threading or overclocking settings in BIOS.

How can I know if thats about my BIOS setting or hyper-threading? I dont know about this.My temps, playing, are aroun 65-70°C at max setting and 55-60°C at low settings. Im talking about GPU temps, CPU temps use to be lower than GPU, aroun 50-65°C.As I said, sometimes theres a blackscreen and I have to restart or theres an automatic restart.

@Cramero.1792 said:How can I know if thats about my BIOS setting or hyper-threading?

By testing it.

I dont know about this.

Didn't your motherboard come with a manual? You can also download the manual at your motherboard's manufacturer's website. What's the brand and model?

My temps, playing, are aroun 65-70°C at max setting

Ouch! That is pretty high. Doesn't your graphics card have a tool where you can adjust the fan speeds according to temperature?

Keeping your hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and HDD) as cool as possible is important. The blackscreen could be the result of overheating after all.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Cramero.1792 said:How can I know if thats about my BIOS setting or hyper-threading?

By testing it.

I dont know about this.

Didn't your motherboard come with a manual? You can also download the manual at your motherboard's manufacturer's website. What's the brand and model?

My temps, playing, are aroun 65-70°C at max setting

Ouch! That is pretty high. Doesn't your graphics card have a tool where you can adjust the fan speeds according to temperature?

Keeping your hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and HDD) as cool as possible is important. The blackscreen could be the result of overheating after all.

I dont think thats overheating problem. I ran furmark test 1080p and GPU's temperature raised up to 76°C w/o crashing or blackscreen. Btw I dont play with max settings.My motherboard is Gigabyte - H110M-H