How you kill thief?

Junkpile.7439

Usually it is a bad idea to focus a thief. But if you have to fight them here is what you should do. 1st identify his build: most common ones are power dd and condi core. If it is a condi thief, you should try and dodge his burst combo. If you manage to dodge his steal, he is screwed. If not try to dodge right after he jumped on you or a lil later, when he jumps back and starts shooting. He can do that shooting attack twice then he will have to melee you again but will have less mobility to do so.. It is your moment to force him leave you or kill him. For power DD just watch your back, don't let him attack your back at any cost. "About face" keybind can help you with that. try running to the opposite direction from where he came from and once you notice he got no more gapclosers, kite them and force to leave or kill. If you are a condi heavy relying on bursts (something like mirage), don't even try fighting a power DD, just decap and run away. They got really good condi cleanse.Thieves will usually attack you when you are already 1vs1ing smb... So best way to avoid them oneshotting you there is keeping an eye on the map constntly and knowing where the enemy thief is heading before engaging to 1vs1s to somebody.Yeah thief is kinda strong nowdays. Best way to deal with them is understanding what you should do with the node. Slow capping a node while thief is around is a bad idea. Best is to decap and waste his time, then capture when you deal with him or when he leaves... Just don't stand in place and expose your back.

Follow a blob around in WvW for awhile and watch all around at different classes go in and out of stealth. Eventually you'll feel where a type of build is going to be close by or in your peripheral. Your eye will get used to catching that blurry split second of coming out of stealth even when they're off to the side on the horizon where you're not focusing. I know resource pools can get tight but sometimes I'll swing a Cloak and Dagger where I feel them at and when it connects I can sometimes land Tactical Strike real quick. It might help if you have any residual control you can make them carry into stealth to pop them with. Sometimes I can pop someone out with a DE stolen skill loaded with Basilik Venom or I can tag them up and wait to see the numbers pop where they ran to their group.

If you're in spvp they're on as tight a script as you are and I'd just do what Armen said and make them play the points and that was a good break down of builds you'll probably see.

If yu did survive their stealth burst :

Step 1. Run from Thief.Step 2. Let Thief burn their gap closers.Step 3. CC and kill them.

Ez.

Perma Stealth 1 shot builds have low survivability, and usually spend all their Ini so that if they waste ini trying to gap close on yu, they have no ini left to fight back if yu CC and kill them.

To kill a thief you must see that thief coming or you will have no chance to react in time. My best advice is look around and identify the thief early. Watch for them to close to 800. Be ready to counter or not be where they think you will be. You can build tanky with auto defenses if you want to but that just buys you a little time and in the end you won't have the dps to kill regular players. Run with a small group and communicate, run with a big group and communicate. Or just land

a one second cast time with an audio and visual queue as big as half your character and get lucky enough to land it and do enough damage to kill them while most people around you don't react fast enough to help. Also give up your most powerful cooldown for a 1 shot attempt to kill just about anything.

7k backstab is high in pvp. You may have to build more tankiness. No one can go full zerg.

Killing thief is not easy but you can read its game. A thief can't fight indefinitely. When they start do dodge after the first burst it's at this moment that they have no or less initiative. So you can try to kill them but you have to know that you enter the thief game. If you don't chase, you take advantage while you get back your cd's and increasing the gap betwin the opponent and you. That will cost ini to fill this gap so less damage if the thief is chasing.Playing a thief can teach you how they stealth and for how long with which spell.About builds, don't chase daredevil who run the dodgedash. The counterpart of this "unkillable" build is that it can't kill anything and they are weak in 1v1 unless you take the cc when you try to heal up you won't die. The thief will reset 'till that moment happen (d/p one).

For dead eye, you can't do anything if they one shot you but they have a low mobility and stealth don't mean immunity. Just AA where they dodge, aoe and they die. Deadeye have low def, it repose only on stealh.

Thieves aren't the problem since backstab have no damage in pvp and have a 1sec cd

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@Caedmon.6798 said:So you got 4 stars on forum and dont know how to counter a thief ? How about you spend more time dueling how to counter thieves as to posting random bs troll posts as this.

That's def some seriously low quality trolling. Up your game.I don't do duels.

I can imagine you won't.

Keep complaining about them why you keep losing with your +1 groups vs them though. Atleast you have Downed state to carry your ass.

Why are you even complaining about a thief ? You obv don't want to duel so you rely on your group to get them and still fail. I just don't know what the issue is here besides the obvious fact that you need to up your game.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Caedmon.6798 said:So you got 4 stars on forum and dont know how to counter a thief ? How about you spend more time dueling how to counter thieves as to posting random bs troll posts as this.

That's def some seriously low quality trolling. Up your game.I don't do duels.

I can imagine you won't.

Keep complaining about them why you keep losing with your +1 groups vs them though. Atleast you have Downed state to carry your kitten.

Why are you even complaining about a thief ? You obv don't want to duel so you rely on your group to get them and still fail. I just don't know what the issue is here besides the obvious fact that you need to up your game.

Well thief attacked me once and i just couldn't even think about scenario how i could win. Even if i would be best player in planet winning would be impossible.

"Well thief attacked me once and i just couldn't even think about scenario how i could win. Even if i would be best player in planet winning would be impossible."

Wich build do you run ? We are not in 2013 anymore. Thieves don't instakill anymore. Or you should build toughness, or you get caught in WvW by a stealthed deadeye, or you just stand still for 7sec assuming you d'ont play with an auto invu like Defi pain.

You may be not the best player but thief is not S tier, nor even A in today's meta.