Give GS 2 a port

GuriGashi.5617

No port, thanks. I rather the leap because you can combo fields, which my build depends on. What GS needs is as others have said, a dmg buff, fix how glitchy GS2 is in casting, fix the leap that at times does not track right, or you leap clear through someone that you hit or some times you just leap in place and don't move, or the random tracking at times of GS5 that will not hit someone I am standing right next to, but just fly up into the air. If anything, add evade to the leap, much like warrior has on it's GS.

@Heizero.9183 said:GS2 already does insane damage If you land the whole skill. I dont think buffing damage is the right fix, however I think removing the movement penalty so that it behaves more like Reaper shroud 4 would really benefit the while weaponset.

Insane damage as 6k in sPvP? Assuming you somehow managed to pull the entire damage on enemy target. You know this is not PvE we are talking about, right?

@otto.5684 said:

@Heizero.9183 said:GS2 already does insane damage If you land the whole skill. I dont think buffing damage is the right fix, however I think removing the movement penalty so that it behaves more like Reaper shroud 4 would really benefit the while weaponset.

Insane damage as 6k in sPvP? Assuming you somehow managed to pull the entire damage on enemy target. You know this is not PvE we are talking about, right?

Yes but technically he is right - GS damage really doesn't suck, but landing it's skills does.

Autoattack Chain: Can crit for 1-2K - but it is too slow (Maybe they should put quickness on the Symbol instead of reta)2 - hard to land, even with a port - one dodge will avoid most of the damage (That's why the port idea)3 - great skill, crits for 3K most of the time - needs a dodge though4 - Symbols suck since last patch and can be easily avoided5 - easy to dodge through slow projectiles, little damage, pull can be great if you land it

Problem with GS is that you can go through a whole rotation and hit nothing, because our movement sucks and because GS skills are badly designed for the way our class works

@snoow.1694 I do not agree that GS is badly designed. It works well in PvE. I know that is a bit beside the point. I and many others used to play it all the time when core guardian power was meta, and it was pretty effective. What made it work was high damage. It is easy to avoid, but so punishing if you do not.

The point is we do not need to recreate the wheel on something that we know can be resolved in PvP by adjusting the numbers up. And we should not rework a weapon that works well in PvE. The only thing that should be reworked is removing the projectiles from GS2 and rolling them into the skill.

@otto.5684 said:

Insane damage as in 8-12k in wvw when running full marauder with zerk trinkets like I do on my roaming build. I run hydromancy and vision on My GS and the times I manage to get a full GS 2 after a weapon swap the 2 skill on average does about 10k damage. The damage on it is honestly great, at least in wvw, and the movement penalty it receives while channeling is what I think makes it difficult to use successfully.

@Heizero.9183 said:

Insane damage as in 8-12k in wvw when running full marauder with zerk trinkets like I do on my roaming build. I run hydromancy and vision on My GS and the times I manage to get a full GS 2 after a weapon swap the 2 skill on average does about 10k damage. The damage on it is honestly great, at least in wvw, and the movement penalty it receives while channeling is what I think makes it difficult to use successfully.

Post a 12k screen where you have your target locked showing their boons.

@Heizero.9183 said:

I specifically said in sPvP. Blob PvP balance is and always would be wonky. Hey, I can get you a picture of something doing ranger damage of 10-12k in WvW, so...? Btw 12k damage, considering how hard it is to pull a full GS2 against a none dumby target, is not that high.

Combine GS 3 & 4 so you drop the symbol on hit or end of animation. One hand sword does this already with its Sword2.

It could free up for a new slot and and the option for a new skill. Maybe a parry that applies cripple and grants a boon.

Would still fit the guardian theme and up the viability of guardian greatsword

@otto.5684 said:

I specifically said in sPvP. Blob PvP balance is and always would be wonky. Hey, I can get you a picture of something doing ranger damage of 10-12k in WvW, so...? Btw 12k damage, considering how hard it is to pull a full GS2 against a bone dumby target, is not that high.

OP did not specify spvp at all in his original post, which is what I was initially replying to. I use hammer offhand and usually ring my target before swapping to gs, and yes after the overall power nerfs earlier this year any skill that does 12k damage is pretty high.Also, Im not debating that GS2 is difficult to land, thats my entire point. It IS difficult to land and removing the movement speed penalty on it would help a lot with staying on target during the channel, much like how Reaper Shroud 4 behaves.

@Gwaihir.1745 said:

A full spin can range anywhere from 8-12k, 12k being on light armor targets without prot. I do this all the time in wvw, and will do some recording tonight and post here for you if you'd like. To be fair I have seen more than 12k as well although I wasnt paying attention to my own might stacks, but I remember a few weeks ago landing a 16k GS 2 on a full zerk well necro. Obviously this doesnt happen often which is why instances like that stand out in my memory.

@Heizero.9183 said:

I specifically said in sPvP. Blob PvP balance is and always would be wonky. Hey, I can get you a picture of something doing ranger damage of 10-12k in WvW, so...? Btw 12k damage, considering how hard it is to pull a full GS2 against a bone dumby target, is not that high.

OP did not specify spvp at all in his original post, which is what I was initially replying to. I use hammer offhand and usually ring my target before swapping to gs, and yes after the overall power nerfs earlier this year any skill that does 12k damage is pretty high.Also, Im not debating that GS2 is difficult to land, thats my entire point. It IS difficult to land and removing the movement speed penalty on it would help a lot with staying on target during the channel, much like how Reaper Shroud 4 behaves.

A full spin can range anywhere from 8-12k, 12k being on light armor targets without prot. I do this all the time in wvw, and will do some recording tonight and post here for you if you'd like. To be fair I have seen more than 12k as well although I wasnt paying attention to my own might stacks, but I remember a few weeks ago landing a 16k GS 2 on a full zerk well necro. Obviously this doesnt happen often which is why instances like that stand out in my memory.

You did not really address the fact that there are tons of things that can hit for that much in WvW and some of them from range. In any case, discussing WvW balance is mote. It is to say if we through a bottle of water on a dumpster fire, it will solve the problem.

@otto.5684 said:

GS damage in the PvP modes is insane per cast relative to most other skills with its cast time. If its projectiles hit, it deals twice backstab's damage per cast (or 55% more damage if none of them do) and substantially more than a triclone Mind Wrack, and per cooldown acts as the same amount of damage dealt as a thief investing in two backstabs over 8s. If you're only hitting 6k, it's because all builds favor bunkering right now since DPH/DPS builds were so aggressively nerfed in February that it's pointless to play squishy on virtually everything.

The only majorly comparable skill is Soul Spiral on Reaper, which still does less damage, has 3x the casting duration, and has nearly 4x the cooldown.

The problem is the movespeed of this game has been so massively powercreeped it no longer reliably hits most classes because of the movement penalty/escape potential on most targets, not the actual damage it deals. Welcome to core game, where the core game design is negated by the demand for everyone to get a power fantasy from the expansion classes.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

GS damage in the PvP modes is insane per cast relative to most other skills with its cast time. If its projectiles hit, it deals twice backstab's damage per cast (or 55% more damage if none of them do) and substantially more than a triclone Mind Wrack, and per cooldown acts as the same amount of damage dealt as a thief investing in two backstabs over 8s. If you're only hitting 6k, it's because all builds favor bunkering right now since DPH/DPS builds were so aggressively nerfed in February that it's pointless to play squishy on virtually everything.

The only majorly comparable skill is Soul Spiral on Reaper, which still does less damage, has 3x the casting duration, and has nearly 4x the cooldown.

The problem is the movespeed of this game has been so massively powercreeped it no longer reliably hits most classes because of the movement penalty/escape potential on most targets, not the actual damage it deals. Welcome to core game, where the core game design is negated by the demand for everyone to get a power fantasy from the expansion classes.

You are not necessarily incorrect, however the issue is primarily damage, and stability. Access to these two things made GS a strong weapon in spvp from end of 2016 through the beginning of 2019. Plus, AA is as important as GS2. GS2 can finish the target, but AA was necessary to keep pressure and iteration. 1k AA critics most definitely won’t do that.

And this is is not guardian GS exclusive issue, warrior axe/axe and ranger axe/axe have the same issue. Arguably, most power builds in spvp suffer from the same issue, lack of damage. If GS2 has a teleport, which would be silly, but still would not make it pvp viable.

@otto.5684 said:@snoow.1694 I do not agree that GS is badly designed. It works well in PvE. I know that is a bit beside the point. I and many others used to play it all the time when core guardian power was meta, and it was pretty effective. What made it work was high damage. It is easy to avoid, but so punishing if you do not.

The point is we do not need to recreate the wheel on something that we know can be resolved in PvP by adjusting the numbers up. And we should not rework a weapon that works well in PvE. The only thing that should be reworked is removing the projectiles from GS2 and rolling them into the skill.

I disagree on removing the projectiles - they're part of the flavour of the skill. What I could see happening is making the projectiles start at the edge of the central hitbox, so that small hitbox targets can't be hit with both the whirl and by projectiles at the same time, and therefore the whirl damaged can be balanced without assuming that the target is also eating most of the projectiles.

@snoow.1694 said:As our power damage has become absolutely unviable and our mobility is kitten how about giving GS 2 a 900 range port so that we don‘t have to run the meditation Judges Intervention and actually connect with it? Would like to see viable GS guards walk around once again

Evade on GS3 just like warrior GS3 and GS5 reach 900 for pulls would be great to give some decent balance.