Shared Inventory slots function not fully explained

Just a warning that the shared inventory slots only act as a transfer slot for equitable items, this is not stated in their description. I was not awre of this and purchased some thinking i could then share my legendary armor between characters but once equipped they are removed from the slots and in order to allow another character to use them you must unequip and reslotted. The bank serves this function just as easily and doesn't require gems to purchase. I am stuck with basically extra bag space now and advice from Anet to be more careful with purchases. At least I used gold earned in game for the purchase. Thank you Anet for your clarity and consideration of your base.

That's because your legendary armor is not in your inventory, it's on your character. Shared inventory slots function exactly the same as other inventory slots except, your other characters can see what's in them. You can't have a legendary armor in your inventory and also on your character, so by the same logic, you can't put a legendary in a shared inventory slot without unequipping it first.

Shared inventory slots were never meant for that.

Use them to share a copper fed salvage-o-matic if you have it, boosters potions, lounge passes, permanent bankers and gobblers etc. between characters.Like Herta, Princess, Ley energy converter and stuff that you want to have on all characters.

• Like 5

For everything that isn't armor/weapons it's a non-issue. See the number of legendary armory threads (the legendary armory is what is supposed to share accountbound legendary armor). Infinite gathering tools have a similar "issue".

The best use cases for shared inventory slots are:

• Mist omnipotion (fractals),
  • copper fed salvage kit (quick salvage all masterwork+lower), mystic salvage kit / runecrafter/ black lion salvage kit ,
  • mistlock sanctuary portal scroll if you're PVE player / Armistice Bastion if you're a WVW player,
  • bank access express
  • common/uncommon unid gear if you play multiple characters so that you can salvage all without using an invisible bag for each character
  • White Mantle Portal device for speedclearing
  • Mystic Forge conduit if you don't want to salvage all the garbage medallions
  • power food/utility if you play fractals or raids (magic find food if you play openworld)
  • Permanent Portable Provisioner if you play WVW and don't want to carry superior siege

some other ideas:

• United Legion waystation if you do many Dragon response missions
  • Living Story portal scrolls if you're too lazy to use a bank
  • Maguuma and/or World boss portal device if you're too lazy to use a waypoint and check event timers
  • ascended "eater" gizmos to use up empyreal fragments, dragonite ore , bloodstone dust if you're too lazy to use a bank (includes Gleam of Sentience , Spearmarshal's plea , Ley-Energy Converter , Karmic Converter)
  • merchant express (if you don't have 24+ slot bags on each character)
  • trading post express (if you're a power trader or do many buy orders)
  • revive orb + repair canister if you are terrible in story and openworld (it can't be used in WVW/PVP/raids so it's pretty useless elsewhere)
  • prototype position rewinder if you have a portal mesmer
  • Teleport to friend
  • Ornate Rusted Keys (if you kill underwater krait regularly)
  • Treasure Hunting Kits
  • candy corn gobbler
  • Like 2

The item in question is called: Shared Inventory Slot

It should be expected that it would behave similar to other items which affect Inventory. The slots in question are called Inventory: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Inventory

At no point ever did gear, which was stored on inventory slots, count towards character equipment. It always went on the character and left the inventory, even before build templates. Those slots always were called Equipment slots: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment

So I am unsure how this is misleading.

The advice given by @Infusion.7149 is quite good and reflects what I know players use the shared slots for (as do I).

Yeah they are equipped therefore on your character so that's pretty logical, but there are odditys with these. I get exotic weapon drop on an alt. I'm like cool I'll put into into shared slot for my main to toss into mf. But you can't put it in those for some reason even though it's has never been equipped and I end up listing on tp or having to put in bank to transfer to main.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:Ya my thoughts were they would work like the templates , always had mystic forge node and a copper salvage in them so never tried armor or weapons. Also I never said it was misleading, just not stated, to me inventory is inventory.

Yes and it still is inventory now did you run around with your legendary armor in your inventory before?I would like the see some videos of you playing the game naked wondering why your downing since your armor is clearly in your inventory.

@"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:Just a warning that the shared inventory slots only act as a transfer slot for equitable items, this is not stated in their description.

That's not really the idea behind them, I believe, as you can use the Bank for that. In my honest opinion, Shared Inventory Slots make most sense for stuff like this, for example:pCq596P.jpg

• Like 2

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:Just a warning that the shared inventory slots only act as a transfer slot for equitable items, this is not stated in their description.

That's not really the idea behind them, I believe, as you can use the Bank for that. In my honest opinion, Shared Inventory Slots make most sense for stuff like this, for example:
pCq596P.jpg

That's a nice collection you have there! :smile:

• 8 months later...

Hi,

maybe some folks here can help me...

I used the shared inventory slots to swap Gear, Weapons, Map Currency, etc. between my chars. Of course these things were NOT soulbound, most of them not even bound to my account (I would have been able to sell them to other players)...

So I used to open my inventory and dragged those items to the shared inventory slots and it was fine... But some months ago I could not do this anymore with identified armor or weapons (except for ascended ones)... So a champ or chest drops an exotic weapon or gear, what I remember opening my bags, I think "oh, let's give it to another char"... game says "nah"... happens to all of them (blue, green, yellow, exotic, no matter)... I can swap them as long as they are unknown/unidentified, but if I doubleclick on an unidentified and try to put it into a shared slot, forget it... at this point they are not soulbound, as my char didn't equip them, of course.

I ask you people here, because the support is not able to answer to that what I reported (didn't even look into the screenshots, otherwise the guy would have known that his advice (don't swap it from your equipped gear window - wow... any exotic item would be soulbound... do you know the game at all, support member???) was absolutely pointless... Screenshot showed a freshly dropped exotic axe, next screenshot showed the axe hovered over an empty shared slot, that became red.

Finally they sent a link to this thread ... and I think "why not? maybe someone around here is able to use his wits and has an idea, what could be wrong here)... Friends do not have this issue, so I might think my account could have a bug or something? Is this possible?

I started repair.exe several times since I have this issue, but that didn't change anything... The report said "no corrupt files" or errors or anything like that found anyways...

Thanks for your hints and/or help, guys... Maybe someone knows someone from a deeper level of customer support, that is able to help in this topic, who knows..

Have a nice week, cheers

Marc

On 12/1/2020 at 3:20 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

https://i.imgur.com/pCq596P.jpg

That's a nice collection you have there! 😄

Thanks. 🙂 And now it's one more slot. 🙃

46 minutes ago, Rummsbosch.5618 said:

But some months ago I could not do this anymore with identified armor or weapons (except for ascended ones)... So a champ or chest drops an exotic weapon or gear, what I remember opening my bags, I think "oh, let's give it to another char"... game says "nah"... happens to all of them (blue, green, yellow, exotic, no matter)... I can swap them as long as they are unknown/unidentified, but if I doubleclick on an unidentified and try to put it into a shared slot, forget it... at this point they are not soulbound, as my char didn't equip them, of course.

Can you place those items in your bank? If so, you should contact support about the issue.

• Confused 1

Yes, but in the bank you can store soulbound items, too... But I can put them into my (hope that is the right word for it) Guild Bank (Treasure room, Hidden dingsbums, etc. ... thos 3 storage places a guild uses for their members - but I have one for me alone, too), where you can only put things, that are neither soulbound nor bound to your account...

And I DID contact the support, but they gave me an answer, that helped absolutely nothing (and didn't refer to my problem at all). They said, I cannot put equipped items directly from my hand or shoulders or legs, etc. to the shared slots. ... See how less they care to read and think?? If I have weapons or gear other then ascended or legendary equipped, it gets - as everyone knows - soulbound and cannot be given to other chars or players at all... so what does that help in my request??? They also linked me this thread here..

But I think, there might be smart people here, who might have a hunch what could be the problem... support let's obviously go on me... (again not sure, if this is the right expression)...

I just tested it, and you are right.  Identified gear cannot be placed into shared inventory slots, even though it is not soul/account bound.  I've submitted an in game bug report, and would suggest you do the same.

This is a quote of what I wrote in the bug support submission, if anyone wants to copy: (submitted under Inventory- Player Inventory)

I cannot move identified equipment into any of my shared inventory slots.  The equipment in question is NOT account bound or soulbound.  It is just normal identified equipment of any rarity.  I can sell the equipment on the TP or mail it to other players, but I cannot place it into any shared inventory slot.

This occurs ONLY with identified equipment (weapons, armor, accessories etc).  Unidentified gear of all rarities can be placed in the shared slots. Other items that are either unbound or account bound can be placed in the shared inventory slots with no problem. But equippable gear that is not soulbound or account bound cannot be placed into shared inventory slots.

Based on my tests it seems like I can put equipment into shared inventory slots if it cannot be bound or is already account bound, but not if it's soul bound on use. (Stuff which is soul bound couldn't go in there either but I think that's intended.)

These worked:

Any blue or green unidentified gear

Any non-equipment item which isn't soul bound (e.g. potions, TP express, food)

Level 12 white Mighty Sword (doesn't bind)

Level 79 blue Shaman's Cabalist Shoulders (blue equipment doesn't bind on equip)

Level 78 exotic Elegant Jewellers Backpack (transmuted) (account bound)

Ossa Family Signet - level 80 ascended ring (account bound)

These didn't:

Level 76 green Rampager's Cabalist Legs of Melandru (unbound but soul bound on equip)

Level 80 green Rampager's Iron Greatsword of Blood (unbound but soul bound on equip)

Eclipse - level 80 greatsword (soul bound)

Level 80 exotic Adventurer's Mantle (account bound and soul bound on use)

I don't have any unbound rare items at the moment, but I assume they'd be the same as the greens.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Caelestia, I'll do that, hopefully it works...

What I DO not understand, how such bugs can occur (as it doesn't happen to everyone...)

As they state, that they do not attend to every bug that is reported, and they do not respond to bug reports (at least that is written in the German section if I recall correctly), HOW do I know they acknowledge our bug reports???