Some thoughts on possible EoD elite specs

Ryo.5824

Purely based on what i feel the classes still lack and suits their style, feel free to express ur own thoughts or look down/up on mine:Warrior: Another power oriented elite with considerable duel power, likely gaining bonus from duel.Guardian: I dont have a clue this class can do anything with its current elites alreadyRevenant: A very bursty stanceRanger: Some extra interaction with its pet and potentially making it the main combat power instead of the ranger itselfThief: An elite that focuses on a more sustained style of damageEngineer: An elite that excels in healing and other form of support. Might have some interesting mechanic that gives teammates certain equipments to useMesmer: Focus on keeping the clones alive and benefiting from doing so rather than sacrificing them all the timeNecromancer: Pure ranged shroud that benefits from not taking damageand last but not least,Elementalist: Some even more complicated mechanic that no one will understand without four years of practice!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Your idea for Ranger intrigues me but I don't think its likely as a pure beastmaster tends to be very niche, but one can hope I suppose. Do you have any ideas on weapons to go with these elite spec ideas? (Also this might be better in General than in Lore).

I dunno how to update the thread so imma put it here:Warrior: Pistol would be a very interesting addition, giving warrior some extra ability to hit from farGuardian: No clueRevenant: Scepter that bursts hardRanger: Focus/Shield to maximize self-defense capability while using other means to interact with petThief: Offhand Sword that can hopefully give some form of blockingEngineer: Torch sounds reasonable to me, tho it might sound weird to others?Mesmer: Warhorn that grants effects to clonesNecromancer: Sword (With ranged spells instead)Elementalist: Some hammer with a mix of heavy close combat damage and durability and kiting and bonus granting and whatever that elementalist can always do

And writing this just gave me a terrible idea of potential elementalist mechanic: able to swap weapon in the middle of combat

And yeah I probably do want this in General instead. Is there any way the thread can be moved or do I need to copy paste everything?

Mesmer phantasms used to stay summoned and attack indefinitely. It was one of the main mesmer builds before HoT. Was really good at single target damage like bosses that dont move much. You would summon them and as they attacked then the mesmer provided some utility while in the fight like pulls and stuff. Then they decided that not this cannot do, and made them attack once then turn into an illusion. So your mesmer suggestion already existed once and it was awesome! I miss that. If they bring that back as an elite, I wouldnt mind.

Hmm some predictions, based on weapons and skills received / missing from professions in previous expansions:Guardian:Either Dagger main (and offhand )like Warrior did in PoF or offhand Warhorn.Type: Melee Bruiser Daggers / Commander like with a Warhorn.Skill: StanceRevenant:Daggers main (and offhand), Scepter or Greatsword.Type: Melee Bruiser with Daggers / Greatsword or Ranged Caster with Scepter.Skill: Legendary AspectWarrior:Short Bow or Staff, possibly main and offhand Pistols.Type: Ranged Direct DPS with Short Bow / Pistols or Melee Evasive attacks with Staff.Skill: Either Cantrip or Trap for Ranged, Deception or Mantra for StaffEngineer:Main or offhand Mace, possibly Torch.Type: Melee Bruiser or Ranged UtilitySkill: PhysicalRanger:Hammer or RifleType: Melee Heavy Direct Damage or Ranged DPS both Beastmaster Focussed.Skill: Physical Hammer or Shouts RifleThief:Mace or Greatsword, possibly ScepterType: Melee Bruiser or Caster RangedSkill: Mace and Greatsword Stance, Glyphs ScepterElementalist:Long or Short bow, possibly HammerType: Ranged Caster big Single Target DPS in all 3 cases.Skill: Wells for AoEMesmer:Long or Short bowType: Ranged Direct DPSSkill: CantripNecromancer:Mace,Pistol or Sword mainhandType: Control / Corrupter Melee or RangedSkill: Cantrip, Deception or Stance

@Tuco.2419 said:I can't be the only one that would prefer EoD comes out with mechanics that effect all professions, like a sixth weapon skill vs adding new elite specs.

You kinda might, can't say that I've ever heard anyone postulate a six weapon skill instead of new E-specs. I don't think it would go over real well if it was implemented.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Mesmer phantasms used to stay summoned and attack indefinitely. It was one of the main mesmer builds before HoT. Was really good at single target damage like bosses that dont move much. You would summon them and as they attacked then the mesmer provided some utility while in the fight like pulls and stuff. Then they decided that not this cannot do, and made them attack once then turn into an illusion. So your mesmer suggestion already existed once and it was awesome! I miss that. If they bring that back as an elite, I wouldnt mind.

I don't remember this being a thing, particularly as recently as pre-HoT/LW season 2, and looking at the page history for Illusions on the Wiki doesn't corroborate this.

@Ryo.5824 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Your idea for Ranger intrigues me but I don't think its likely as a pure beastmaster tends to be very niche, but one can hope I suppose. Do you have any ideas on weapons to go with these elite spec ideas? (Also this might be better in General than in Lore).

I dunno how to update the thread so imma put it here:Warrior: Pistol would be a very interesting addition, giving warrior some extra ability to hit from farGuardian: No clueRevenant: Scepter that bursts hardRanger: Focus/Shield to maximize self-defense capability while using other means to interact with petThief: Offhand Sword that can hopefully give some form of blockingEngineer: Torch sounds reasonable to me, tho it might sound weird to others?Mesmer: Warhorn that grants effects to clonesNecromancer: Sword (With ranged spells instead)Elementalist: Some hammer with a mix of heavy close combat damage and durability and kiting and bonus granting and whatever that elementalist can always do

And writing this just gave me a terrible idea of potential elementalist mechanic: able to swap weapon in the middle of combat

And yeah I probably do want this in General instead. Is there any way the thread can be moved or do I need to copy paste everything?

Can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about foci for rangers and I'm rather neutral on shields as well, but I'd love to finally get an offhand sword for thieves. Its also high time that thieves get more Dual Wield skills, since the last two E-specs were two-handed weapons.

@Fueki.4753 said:Thieves need a spec that replace any and all forms of Stealth application with passive defences.That way, Thieves might actually have a chance to take some hits and no longer are shackled down by the hit and run gameplay they currently are reduced into.

ahh thats a very interesting mention. how about: whenever you exit stealth, you are revealed for x seconds. when you are revealed, you take 90% less damage.something like this, definitely need balanced numbers instead but the point is there

@Tuco.2419 said:I can't be the only one that would prefer EoD comes out with mechanics that effect all professions, like a sixth weapon skill vs adding new elite specs.

plz not 6th weapon skill its already hard enough to learn all the stuff xD but maybe they will do it for elementalist

@Veprovina.4876 said:Mesmer phantasms used to stay summoned and attack indefinitely. It was one of the main mesmer builds before HoT. Was really good at single target damage like bosses that dont move much. You would summon them and as they attacked then the mesmer provided some utility while in the fight like pulls and stuff. Then they decided that not this cannot do, and made them attack once then turn into an illusion. So your mesmer suggestion already existed once and it was awesome! I miss that. If they bring that back as an elite, I wouldnt mind.

defo want the clones to have hp so they can be hit and die when they take some damage.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about foci for rangers and I'm rather neutral on shields as well, but I'd love to finally get an offhand sword for thieves. Its also high time that thieves get more Dual Wield skills, since the last two E-specs were two-handed weapons.

hammer and rifle from @Aerick Blackmoore.8167 sounds interesting to me tbh, do you have something else in mind? also yeah, dual wield needs more content

@Aerick Blackmoore.8167 said:Hmm some predictions, based on weapons and skills received / missing from professions in previous expansions:Guardian:Either Dagger main (and offhand )like Warrior did in PoF or offhand Warhorn.Type: Melee Bruiser Daggers / Commander like with a Warhorn.Skill: StanceRevenant:Daggers main (and offhand), Scepter or Greatsword.Type: Melee Bruiser with Daggers / Greatsword or Ranged Caster with Scepter.Skill: Legendary AspectWarrior:Short Bow or Staff, possibly main and offhand Pistols.Type: Ranged Direct DPS with Short Bow / Pistols or Melee Evasive attacks with Staff.Skill: Either Cantrip or Trap for Ranged, Deception or Mantra for StaffEngineer:Main or offhand Mace, possibly Torch.Type: Melee Bruiser or Ranged UtilitySkill: PhysicalRanger:Hammer or RifleType: Melee Heavy Direct Damage or Ranged DPS both Beastmaster Focussed.Skill: Physical Hammer or Shouts RifleThief:Mace or Greatsword, possibly ScepterType: Melee Bruiser or Caster RangedSkill: Mace and Greatsword Stance, Glyphs ScepterElementalist:Long or Short bow, possibly HammerType: Ranged Caster big Single Target DPS in all 3 cases.Skill: Wells for AoEMesmer:Long or Short bowType: Ranged Direct DPSSkill: CantripNecromancer:Mace,Pistol or Sword mainhandType: Control / Corrupter Melee or RangedSkill: Cantrip, Deception or Stance

bows on caster classes are really weird, and i really doubt if warriors will ever get casting ability. but the rest sounds very interesting. also i think some traditional characteristics of classes wont get abandoned, like thiefs will probably still be squishy without a lot of skills, necro will have some trouble on one shotting enemies without shround, etc

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Mesmer phantasms used to stay summoned and attack indefinitely. It was one of the main mesmer builds before HoT. Was really good at single target damage like bosses that dont move much. You would summon them and as they attacked then the mesmer provided some utility while in the fight like pulls and stuff. Then they decided that not this cannot do, and made them attack once then turn into an illusion. So your mesmer suggestion already existed once and it was awesome! I miss that. If they bring that back as an elite, I wouldnt mind.

I don't remember this being a thing, particularly as recently as pre-HoT/LW season 2, and looking at the page history for Illusions on the Wiki doesn't corroborate this.

Just because you couldn't find it or it's not on the wiki, doesn't mean it didn't happen.I know because i played that build, we used to run Citadel of Flame, and for the boss, i would always summon my phantasms, and just hang in the back dodging stuff and providing support, occasionally re-summoning a phantasm if one got killed. Then at low boss life, i would shatter them to add some burst damage.

But if you don't believe me and need proof, here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26687/shattering-the-status-quo/p1

EDIT: If you look at the comments in that thread - phantasm mesmer was a thing in raids. The phantasm change was fairly recent, phantasms functioned like that longer than they have not.

@Ryo.5824 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Mesmer phantasms used to stay summoned and attack indefinitely. It was one of the main mesmer builds before HoT. Was really good at single target damage like bosses that dont move much. You would summon them and as they attacked then the mesmer provided some utility while in the fight like pulls and stuff. Then they decided that not this cannot do, and made them attack once then turn into an illusion. So your mesmer suggestion already existed once and it was awesome! I miss that. If they bring that back as an elite, I wouldnt mind.

defo want the clones to have hp so they can be hit and die when they take some damage.

They already do:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Illusion

Clones are low HP, and phantasms have more but don't look like the Mesmer.You can also target them and kill them, i mean, that's the whole profession mechanic, of course you can kill them.

I can only speak for warrior tbh. Without going into details on mechanics and before saying what i would want. I'll say what I don't want:

• Staff on warrior. Revenant already a heavy class which uses staff for melee and what people describe most of the times is Daredevil.
  • Pistols are used as they are meant to be, from Thieves and Engineers. We already have the Rifle and although it is not THE 'amazing ranged' weapon, it fits. Warriors are brutes not pew pew pistols guys.
  • In overall no existing weapon does it for me.

What I would want to see:

• New weapon. Yes I know we won't have one, but the idea of a warrior with a Greataxe amazes me.
  • A very cool mechanic with adrenalie. What I have thought off so far is a 'Potency" mechanic, where adrenaline is created by the instensity of a weapon's attck. So in our bars we would see adrenaline going gradually up and down depending on how hard we hit. Each time we reach a 'burst' threshold we can press F1, F2 or F3 for a specilized burst. We basically have 3 different burst skills per weapon and activating them in order (as a combo) offers some for of advantage over to having full adrenaline and click F2 then F1 and etc. Each specialized Burst consumes it's own bar of adrenaline, instead of reducing the total adrenaline. so you can charge t3 bursts (while in combat ofc), and use t1 bursts without losing the t3 one.

I genuinely doubt spear on warrior will be a thing since the spellbreaker lore states that the spears became daggers, so doing something for EoD tahts reminiscent of that would feel out of place.

@Ryo.5824 said:

bows on caster classes are really weird, and i really doubt if warriors will ever get casting ability. but the rest sounds very interesting. also i think some traditional characteristics of classes wont get abandoned, like thiefs will probably still be squishy without a lot of skills, necro will have some trouble on one shotting enemies without shround, etc

Think Gowther from Seven Deadly Sins for Mesmer and by default Elementalist. Thiefs could still very well be squishy with the suggested skill-lines. Shroud can be done in various ways as we've seen in Reaper / Scourge.

Thank you for the compliment =)

@"Tuco.2419" said:I can't be the only one that would prefer EoD comes out with mechanics that effect all professions, like a sixth weapon skill vs adding new elite specs.The only weapon I would accept is Cestus/Fist weapons. That's right, I want us to be able to punch out an Elder Dragon. It'd fit a lot of professions pretty easily, and the animations could look pretty cool overall. Examples could include an Ele uppercutting an enemy with a giant stone fist, Rangers clawing at an enemy like a wild animal, or Guardians doing "aura pulses" from their palm to pierce an enemy with an unblockable attack.

@Ryo.5824 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about foci for rangers and I'm rather neutral on shields as well, but I'd love to finally get an offhand sword for thieves. Its also high time that thieves get more Dual Wield skills, since the last two E-specs were two-handed weapons.

hammer and rifle from @Aerick Blackmoore.8167 sounds interesting to me tbh, do you have something else in mind? also yeah, dual wield needs more content

I might like hammer on Rangers. I dunno if you played GW1, but there was a build (or rather builds) for Rangers that was heavily Pet focused that also used a hammer. It was called the Bunny Thumper. Might be cool to see a successor to this build in GW2.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Just because you couldn't find it or it's not on the wiki, doesn't mean it didn't happen.I know because i played that build, we used to run Citadel of Flame, and for the boss, i would always summon my phantasms, and just hang in the back dodging stuff and providing support, occasionally re-summoning a phantasm if one got killed. Then at low boss life, i would shatter them to add some burst damage.

But if you don't believe me and need proof, here:

EDIT: If you look at the comments in that thread - phantasm mesmer was a thing in raids. The phantasm change was fairly recent, phantasms functioned like that longer than they have not.

Mea Culpa. I misunderstood what you were speaking of. I thought you were saying that Mesmer Illusions, both clones and phantasms, were originally capable of staying summoned even if the enemy they were summoned to target had died. I also got mixed up on terminology, thought of illusions when you only said phantasms. I actually hadn't been aware that they changed how phantasms worked, thats how long its been since I've really used my memser for anything other than making portals at Jumping Puzzles.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

I might like hammer on Rangers. I dunno if you played GW1, but there was a build (or rather builds) for Rangers that was heavily Pet focused that also used a hammer. It was called the Bunny Thumper. Might be cool to see a successor to this build in GW2.

Yes, I have and is where the idea came from, in combination with the missing weapon line for the Ranger at the moment.

I would like warrior to get an assassin-like elite profession. Shadow Warrior or something. I guess in that case, then a focus would probably be the new weapon. But having stealth and traps would be pretty fun and be very different from the current choices. For the elite spec unlock weapon they can make the focus look like some kind of fist weapon/claw, etc.

I kinda gave up on land spears. lol Although it would be interesting for Anet to introduce amphibious elite specs.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

But if you don't believe me and need proof, here:

Mea Culpa. I misunderstood what you were speaking of. I thought you were saying that Mesmer Illusions, both clones and phantasms, were originally capable of staying summoned even if the enemy they were summoned to target had died. I also got mixed up on terminology, thought of illusions when you only said phantasms. I actually hadn't been aware that they changed how phantasms worked, thats how long its been since I've really used my memser for anything other than making portals at Jumping Puzzles.

Haha, yeah i get those mixed up all the time too, and i play a mesmer. :tongue:

Accordign to the wiki, i think, "illusions" are all of them, so if a skill or something says like "illusions are stronger" that covers both "clones" (which are identical to the mesmer but weak), and "phantasms" (which we discussed in this thread). So when i see illusion somewhere, i have to think for a second what that's referring to haha.

And yeah, lol, i meant indefinitely as long as your target was alive. I thought that was implied since that's how mesmers work, but i should have explained it better what i meant. They never stayed after your target was dead. Not even the old phantasms, that's why they were best for bosses, since bosses wouldn't just go down too fast. Then you could summon 3 and just either dps yourself, or hang back and help others. They also counted towards the 3 summon limit like clones do. Now they changed it that phantasms don't use up a summon space and you can't shatter them. I like this change because now they attack and turn into a clone, so while they're attacking, you can shatter clones as well without the fear of interrupting your phantasm.

In any case, yeah, they changed that so maybe a new elite spec could be based around phantasms and sustained damage rather than shattering and bursting Chrono and Mirage have. We'll see i guess, still a long way til the expansion.

@Ryo.5824 said:

They already do:

Clones are low HP, and phantasms have more but don't look like the Mesmer.You can also target them and kill them, i mean, that's the whole profession mechanic, of course you can kill them.

Yeah and what I'm thinking is maybe buffing the clones so they become very hard to kill if played properly, and/or does increased damage, something like that

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

Nah I haven't played GW1 at all. its really interesting tho, im curious as in what connects the hammer with beastmaster, and what sort of skills you think ranger will get if beastmaster

@Ryo.5824 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

They already do:

Yeah and what I'm thinking is maybe buffing the clones so they become very hard to kill if played properly, and/or does increased damage, something like that

Oh, i thought you meant that they dont have health now. They do, just very little, they're illusions they're fragile, I think that's the point.

@Ryo.5824 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

hammer and rifle from @"Aerick Blackmoore.8167" sounds interesting to me tbh, do you have something else in mind? also yeah, dual wield needs more content

Nah I haven't played GW1 at all. its really interesting tho, im curious as in what connects the hammer with beastmaster, and what sort of skills you think ranger will get if beastmaster

Hammer and Shouts could work really well, remember the Command skills used to be Shouts in GW2. The Bunny Thumper in GW1 had interrupt skills from the Beastmastery line and Knockdowns from the Hammer skill tree (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hammer_Mastery#Hammer_Mastery_skills and https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Beast_Mastery#Beast_Mastery_skills) So pet and Ranger worked in unison. Could see that happening in a similar way in GW2 with either Hammer or Rifle.

What could also be a possibility is a more Earth Magic based Ranger(Druid is Celestial) with Scepter or Focus. Mantra or Meditation could be skill lines together with Focus or Scepter. Could be a link to the Wardens in GW1 from the Echovald Forest https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warden

Bored and cruising the forums, so I'll post some thoughts from another thread of mine, as well as thoughts from chattering with a fellow player:

• Thief: focus off-hand with synergy around Shadow Arts and Deception skills, inspired by the Am Fah and Jade Brotherhood gangs of Factions -- trades stealth and damage for utility, and the ability to summon shadowy manifestations, as well as a replacement to Steal, inspired by the GW1 Assassin kill, "Shadow Form," which grants defensive bonuses for its duration.
  • Necromancer: basically Ritualist (we all know that Revenant is a heavy-armor Ritualist, so this is moot). A greater focus on conditions and Corruption skills, styled after the miasma and affliction which plagued Cantha during the time of the Great Hero. Gains additional bonuses for the number and type of conditions it is afflicted by, and gains a new Shroud type, which transforms them into a shambling monstrosity. Weapon unknown at time of writing.
  • Warrior: honestly, what warrior lacks most is better ranged combat; both rifle and longbow, while effective, are kind of lack-luster. A shortbow warrior focused on skirmishing (with synergy in the Arms trait line, for condition application) would be an interesting direction and, with a few disengages, could turn Warrior into a really good mid-ranged combatant.
  • Revenant: actually Ritualist. Yes, I want revenant to get a ranged staff (unlikely, due to probable engine limitations) or a scepter weapon and the ability to conjure stationary "bound spirits" like the Ritualist in Factions. Vastly different play-style and possibly some much-needed application of range outside of hammer and Renegade.
  • Engineer: more of a focus on Alchemy and Elixir skills, and perhaps a slightly more profane take on both its use and its methods. Not quite sure what, but something that dabbles into the more real-world hunt for immortality, longevity, and very questionable applications of heavy metals. Scepter could be an interesting weapon choice here, as well as a hybrid mid-range staff as an alternative.
  • Guardian: counterinituitive though it was, I kind of liked the conceptual change to Guardian's Virtues, and think a more active playstyle around them might work again. Perhaps instead of firebrand's offensive (and condition-oriented) design, we could focus more on a classic supportive role, building off of the Virtues and Valor traitlines, whilst simultaneously providing something similar to the "Protection Spells" of GW1 Monk. Weirdly enough, I'm liking the mental image of ranged hammer for this aesthetic.
  • Ranger: neither existing Ranger elite spec has exploited their iconic archery, so something with synergy in Marksmanship and Nature Magic traitlines and Survival skills could be interesting -- really have a classic pathfinder feeling to them.
  • Mesmer: I'd honestly like to see mesmer move away from shatters and churning of illusions, though obviously we can't get rid of the latter. Perhaps give them a treatment similar to Scourge's shades; an option to either summon all 3 lesser illusions, or 1 big "greater illusion" that provides a far more persistent and formidable ally in a fight, and could satisfy @Ryo.5824's request for beefier illusions.
  • Elementalist: ... sorry, I've got nothing here. The profession is already such a mixed bag due to elemental attunements, that I really haven't any clue what to offer it.

I just can't bet behind Foci on classes like rangers and thieves, especially thieves. I've been waiting since well before launch for thieves to get that offhand sword.

@Ryo.5824 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:

As Aerick pointed out, the hammer and pet build in GW1 synergized really well with how Rangers and the dual class system worked in that game. You should give it a try, GW1 is still live, I still pop in now and then. Can't say I'd know what kind of utilities to make, too far outside my wheelhouse.