how to utterly fail at balance

decreasing damage and increasing cd or not lowering it

increasing resource cost instead of nerfing what makes it broke (such as range, radius, mechanics)

hard nerfs that take away core elements of what makes a build viable in a scenario instead of reasonable nerfs to damage/ sustain

mechanics nerfs (pulses, range, radius, boon rips, utility) when damage / cd nerfs would have worked

letting boon spam run rampant for years and nerfing boon rip

game wide damage nerf with no follow up buffs (buff # 2/ burst skill damage and lower their cds, seriously, thats all that needs to be done for damage to be good)

allowing weapons, utilities, and traits to be unusable for yeeeeaaaars

removal instead of change

@"Quadox.7834" said:in some ways it was a mistake to split pvp and pve balance bcs now it feels like they just bandaid fix everything and never make an effort

Eh, at least up until the end of last year, there has been some significant changes to certain Profession or Espec mechanics in an attempt to balance troublesome traits or mechanics.

After the massive Major balance patch though, it has just gone downhill, like the entire "balance" idea was tossed down a cliff.The few Balance patches we have had this year was nothing but competitive only coefficient slaps.

There was some attempt to make Scourges less oppressive by making their Shades affect less targets in Competitive but that was met with hardcore resistance and complaints so much so that they were forced to revert it.

And now with Dec Patch, I'm just straight up bemused as to who's idea was it to utterly change how a skill functions for Competitive vs PvE.

The change I am talking about is of course the change for Facets and Tempest Shouts to affect 10 people in PvE and 5 people in Competitive, and gutting the traits which previously increased the number of allies affected.

This is just so bizarre a decision to remove any sort of value previously sought after from these traits, and then finishing the one-two punch by making the skill split.

Draconic Echo may still be useful for Herald Roamers which will now be used exclusively to extend their boon pulses after using the Facet actives, but other than that, whatever use it previously had is essentially gone.

Tempesteous Aria on the other hand, is simply trashed because people never picked it up for the Might and Weakness, those Boons are already abundant from Fire Warhorn, people picked up that trait for the extra allies affected.

If it were the previous balance team, they would have straight up replaced Tempesteous Aria with something new because the trait's value is now diminished.Whatever this new balance team is doing, it's not good for the game. Period.

@Yasai.3549 said:The change I am talking about is of course the change for Facets and Tempest Shouts to affect 10 people in PvE and 5 people in Competitive, and gutting the traits which previously increased the number of allies affected.

i don't think either were good for wvw, but without giving something back its worse then doing nothing.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

i don't think either were good for wvw, but without giving something back its worse then doing nothing.

Not sure bout Herald because I mainly play Rev as Power Roamer, but I imagine that in a zerg, Draconic Echoes helped with Boonshare.

And yooooo, Tempesteous Arias were very important for group Aura-sharing.Auramancer builds could go Earth and pick Earth Adept for Protection on Aura, and bam, giving 10 people Auras + Protection + the Shout buffs.

The biggest offense is nerfing any aspect and increasing the cooldown at the same time rather than one or the other.

Secondary would be nerfing anything that comes after rather than the obvious first step. IE: Strong skill with or without X trait, nerf skill AND trait anyway.

Everything else can be justified otherwise IMO.

If it were the previous balance team, they would have straight up replaced Tempesteous Aria with something new because the trait's value is now diminished.Whatever this new balance team is doing, it's not good for the game. Period.

300 sec traits would like a word. Diminishing all the worth of a trait is Anet's core plan.

At this point, every class should get hit with the nerf hammer until all previous worth is gone. Reset the game

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Quadox.7834" said:in some ways it was a mistake to split pvp and pve balance bcs now it feels like they just bandaid fix everything and never make an effort

Eh, at least up until the end of last year, there has been some significant changes to certain Profession or Espec mechanics in an attempt to balance troublesome traits or mechanics.

After the massive Major balance patch though, it has just gone downhill, like the entire "balance" idea was tossed down a cliff.The few Balance patches we have had this year was nothing but competitive only coefficient slaps.

There was some attempt to make Scourges less oppressive by making their Shades affect less targets in Competitive but that was met with hardcore resistance and complaints so much so that they were forced to revert it.

And now with Dec Patch, I'm just straight up bemused as to who's idea was it to utterly change how a skill functions for Competitive vs PvE.

The change I am talking about is of course the change for
Facets
and
Tempest Shouts
to affect 10 people in PvE and 5 people in Competitive, and gutting the traits which previously increased the number of allies affected.

This is just so bizarre a decision to remove any sort of value previously sought after from these traits, and then finishing the one-two punch by making the skill split.

Draconic Echo may still be useful for Herald Roamers which will now be used exclusively to extend their boon pulses after using the Facet actives, but other than that, whatever use it previously had is essentially gone.

Tempesteous Aria on the other hand, is simply trashed because people never picked it up for the Might and Weakness, those Boons are already abundant from Fire Warhorn, people picked up that trait for the extra allies affected.

anet does not know how to balance, he only knows how to move a 0, 02 in a skill, add 1 second, etc etc, that is not balance, and not learn patch after patch, do you read the forums? No, you ask something? No (anet)