After 8 years of calls for help WvW sees hiring

subversiontwo.7501

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that by content design they realize WvW is a PvP environment where players provide the content. No megalasers, no new NPC mechanics, no Golem Rush events, no new types of siege, no vertical progression, please. Yes, for glory rewards, for combat related achievements, for more visible guild representation, leaderboards, bounties, level playing field for new players (warclaw, gliders, siege masteries, shied gen locks must go), easy access to BiS gear/consumables and all traits/skills for new players (if you enjoy a gear grind, PvE is for you).

@Korgov.7645 said:I hope that by content design they realize WvW is a PvP environment

Um, no

When WvW first started, ppl actually cared about stuff like ppt and holding more stuff than everyone else. Scouts were important, especially since they didn't get any loot from fights and had to pay for upgrades themselves. WvW wasnt meant to be only big PvP, it was something else with PvP added to it. And it was more casual and more fun than 5 x 5 PvP

Things like megaservers and the alliances anouncement changed WvW. Ppl stopped caring about ppt and server pride or just left the game. Most scouts quit too. Most WvW players left are the ones who like fights most and ignore things like defending, sieging and ppt score

@Jura.2170 said:Things like megaservers and the alliances anouncement changed WvW. Ppl stopped caring about ppt and server pride or just left the game. Most scouts quit too. Most WvW players left are the ones who like fights most and ignore things like defending, sieging and ppt score

WvW dailies are more attuned to aggressive objective attacking than defending imo. Capture camp/keep/tower/ruins/guard points, vs a single objective defender. Not remotely saying that's the cause or a fix, just saying there are aspects of wvw that are designed to get people taking objectives instead of caring about holding them (beyond ppt). Furthermore, scouting endlessly doesn't really contribute to your participation nor daily achievements

But at the end of the day it's dead boring and uninvolving. Even the most dedicated of scouts would have to ask themselves why bother. If there'd be something to address that then maybe it'd help but honestly surely the players themselves just get tired if the only ones doing it. Needs incentive for others to share the burden for 10 mins.

@Jura.2170 said:Um, no

When WvW first started, ppl actually cared about stuff like ppt and holding more stuff than everyone else. Scouts were important, especially since they didn't get any loot from fights and had to pay for upgrades themselves. WvW wasnt meant to be only big PvP, it was something else with PvP added to it. And it was more casual and more fun than 5 x 5 PvP

Things like megaservers and the alliances anouncement changed WvW. Ppl stopped caring about ppt and server pride or just left the game. Most scouts quit too. Most WvW players left are the ones who like fights most and ignore things like defending, sieging and ppt score.The only reason people cared more about stuff like PPT was because it was integral to the strategic goals of the mode and people still had faith in problems like scoring and population-balance to be fixed. That faith started changing far quicker than I think you believe. In fact, many original guilds left or reshaped themselves already by 2013-2014 for this very reason.

Most pickup content back then, same as now, was produced by players, who entered into guilds, that gave birth to commanders who then shared that content with the server. I've easily played rather closely with 15-20 commanders (most of them regarded the- or a server main) in my 8 years of this game and I can't think of anyone who came up through the server rather than a guild or who cared more about their server than their guild. Plainly put: It wasn't Alliances or whatever that made people lose server pride, the people who created what the server was proud about were always in guilds and informal alliances of guilds (ie., guild-guild friendships).

What we have seen since is guilds disappearing quicker than the general populace, that remaining veteran players feel that it is less and less worth to spend time and effort into building communities and when they do they are less and less inclined to share that content - it is many times against their interest to share as they position themselves better to partake in content by being restrictive.

The reason for this is full servers, full maps, transfer fees, population imbalance and broken scoring, far more than anything else and those same problems have been the reasons since the game first came out.

This has been a gradual change that has gone on ever since the game came out, but like any whirlpool, it picks up speed the closer it gets to the flush.

Also, I mostly just linked this thread up as light-hearted thing, but if we are going to start speculating let's look at a few plausibles:

The most likely reason for this is simply that ArenaNet are being ArenaNet. It likely took Wooden Potatoes making fun of them in a recent video to snap out of the echo chamber and blurt something out in haste or make a token gesture. I would not be the least surprised if that is it. Either that or that the statistics are showing something. It's a question of the alarm needing to pass a certain point way beyond what is healthy to pass through the bubble.

Two other related possibilities is that this is some sort of re-organisational / damage control preparation. Assuming that EoD will come with little to nothing for PvP as a whole this may be another attempt to fill holes and mend fences by making new promises for something post-launch. Out of the 3 faces we know to publically do some work on competetive in the current era/cycle of projects and organisation (BenP, Ray and Cal), none of them seem to be on the move (based on linkedin etc., so far) and none of their past titles would suggest they would fit into this position. In fact, if anything, it may be a position made for Cal to apply to, should he want to. Ray isn't design (and above this), Ben is design (but above this). However, I'm more fearful that this is to slate over disappointment with EoD and the possibility of Alliances getting canned, if it isn't the things above.

Those would be 4 plausible reasons with some interconnectivity.

The gloomy gut feeling with all of this mostly comes from that what the position describes is not necessarily something that WvW needs or should need right now. The design and direction they have is good. Both the big projects they have had piplined for 2-3 years now look good on paper, given what we have been shown. It is the delivery that is the problem. In fact, it has always been the delivery that has been the problem from EotM to today. It would possibly be something for after those systems have been implemented, to go forward. However, I am far too jaded at this point to be that positive for EoD.

If this is for someone to take over what's needed next after Alliances and Bigger sPvP, then I am going to be quite blown away.

@Solanum.6983 said:Up until now they've said that everything they've done is minimal and backend, Maybe I'm overly optimistic but it does seem like they want to finally bring alliances with the new expansion.

I think there is no alliances.. all they trying to do is hire some guy so they can say:“we (he) are (is) working on it .. sorry for not bringing it with the expansion but 2020 was soo hard and all.. but we will talk about the news in the coming months“without lying.. because.. u see.. this time there is really someone working on it..

They need to hype you up somehow...i mean with the new expansion coming. #preorders lul

• PvE players is kinda easy: just throw a rock mini in the shop and they will open their wallets
  • PvP players ....on the other hand...

...and yea the "World Restructuring" card has been played for the past years :p