Help Pls: Q: How is the 80 boost Rev build/gear in comparison to others?

Smiter.3861

Hi All. I am a returning player. Played GW1 and first year of GW2, and finished the game with 3 level 80s, so I have an understanding of game dynamics and storyline. I bought Thorns/Fire expansion combo last week. I chose a new Rev for the open character slot and popped the level 80 boost. Was pleasantly surprised to see him decked out in all level 80 exotic gear post boost. I am a casual player who focuses on mostly solo play, storyline, and open world PvE roaming. I usually like well rounded tanky builds. I like a combination of survivability of standing when multiple mobs unexpectedly add into a fight. I am a middle of the road player, who is not focused on getting every combination to hit correct every time... so builds that are forgiving I appreciate. The boosted build seems exactly that....along with his soldier gear he is quite tanky. Below has the build/armor/jewelry post boost. Last night while desert roaming and getting sand in my armor two vet fire hydras attacked me same time with a couple of sharks. Took a little while to take them down, but my health was never really in danger.. and the boost build healed passively while fighting. I am still learning what does what with skills and weapons... so was happy to be standing in the end.The 80 boost build/gear is as follows:Retribution 2 3 3Invocation 2 2 1Devastation 2 3 3GEAR: All soldiers armor and jewelry/back with Revenant Sigil on all and berylWEAPONS: Duel sword with Sw1 Force - Sw2 Accuracy ---- Hammer Force + Accuracy

I guess my question is if there are better build/gear combos that fits with my play style mentioned above?if so, what do you advise? Should I keep the Rev sigils or replace, and if so.. with what? Should I change to mace/axe mace/sword or other set ups?Keep the tanky soldier gear..... but change build?Take Herald or Renegade first?Use bow instead of hammer?I have 270 laurels. What gear should i select with them?Anything else that I am blindly un aware of?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and assistance!(((Yeah... I know, lots of questions.. but I like this character and appreciate your thoughts and help.)))

DO NOT BUY GEAR WITH LAURELS. IT'S A TOTAL WASTE. Much better to convert the Laurels into T4 or T6 materials instead (medium or heavy bags). It's super easy to get Ascended Gear in this game in a dozen different ways. Laurels are absolutely one of the worst and least cost effective ways to do that. Additionally, when it comes time for you to build Legendary Gear (if that's ever a goal you go for) having tons of Laurels can speed up that process for a piece of Legendary Equipment greatly.

As for builds, Soldiers isn't great. If you want to do Power damage, then Berserker is your best friend for Revenant. It has the highest raw DPS output for power builds, which means you spend less time fighting. It is certainly more fragile, but both Herald and Renegade have plenty of ways to heal that it doesn't really matter how glassy you are in terms of armor. If you do feel you need slightly more sustain, Marauder is a worse secondary choice, but is generally fine for open world PvE and also performs well/better generally in WvW, but it's worse for Raids/Fractals, etc. For Runes, Scholar is best in slot for damage. For Sigils, Force and Air are ideal.

Most of Power Rev's healing comes from Dance of Death, which is insanely strong (you're already taking that which is great). Also I wouldn't take Thrill of Combat (in Devastation). Take Notoriety or Assassin's Presence instead (Notoriety is better personal DPS than Assassin's Presence, Assassin's Presence boosts personal and group dps).

For Invocation take Cleansing Channel instead of the DPS boost. Rev has little condi cleanse, so having that 1 condi removed on swap is helpful in Open World more than you might think. And for Invocation Middle you'll want Incensed Response, since it boosts your DPS a ton by giving you more Might.

When you do get Herald or Renegade, swap out Retribution for one of those traitlines. Shiro is best in slot for high single target power damage for Rev, while Jalis and Mallyx are supportive options for power builds in some situations. Glint or Kalla would be your other go to legend in Herald or Renegade for power damage.

If yu like tanky builds and like soloing stuff, I wouldn't recommend Shiro for a new player, because Shiro is all about minimizing damage yu take, and using speed and raw damage to take out enemies fast (hence, legendary assassin)

I would recommend this build instead :http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyJlhQHsIyhJRNMI6hBSfMBKgD1U9SH-zRIUR0xXCyPA-e

It uses a combination of Mallyx and Jalis to give yu very high survivability while letting yu run full Berserker stats, and has really nice damage.The difference between this build and Shiro is that yu will not be able to zoom zoom towards targets, but yu will still be able to stay mobile with Mallyx's leaps.

This is a build I use for solo open world content when I feel like I need to be able to take a beating.Having two burst heals is also a life saver versus Shiro's "chip healing"

Edit : Btw, the rune choice can be whatever, but I chose Traveler because it is the best value, plus it gives movement speed so yu won't feel so slow

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:DO NOT BUY GEAR WITH LAURELS. IT'S A TOTAL WASTE. Much better to convert the Laurels into T4 or T6 materials instead (medium or heavy bags). It's super easy to get Ascended Gear in this game in a dozen different ways. Laurels are absolutely one of the worst and least cost effective ways to do that. Additionally, when it comes time for you to build Legendary Gear (if that's ever a goal you go for) having tons of Laurels can speed up that process for a piece of Legendary Equipment greatly.

As for builds, Soldiers isn't great. If you want to do Power damage, then Berserker is your best friend for Revenant. It has the highest raw DPS output for power builds, which means you spend less time fighting. It is certainly more fragile, but both Herald and Renegade have plenty of ways to heal that it doesn't really matter how glassy you are in terms of armor. If you do feel you need slightly more sustain, Marauder is a worse secondary choice, but is generally fine for open world PvE and also performs well/better generally in WvW, but it's worse for Raids/Fractals, etc. For Runes, Scholar is best in slot for damage. For Sigils, Force and Air are ideal.

Most of Power Rev's healing comes from Dance of Death, which is insanely strong (you're already taking that which is great). Also I wouldn't take Thrill of Combat (in Devastation). Take Notoriety or Assassin's Presence instead (Notoriety is better personal DPS than Assassin's Presence, Assassin's Presence boosts personal and group dps).

For Invocation take Cleansing Channel instead of the DPS boost. Rev has little condi cleanse, so having that 1 condi removed on swap is helpful in Open World more than you might think. And for Invocation Middle you'll want Incensed Response, since it boosts your DPS a ton by giving you more Might.

When you do get Herald or Renegade, swap out Retribution for one of those traitlines. Shiro is best in slot for high single target power damage for Rev, while Jalis and Mallyx are supportive options for power builds in some situations. Glint or Kalla would be your other go to legend in Herald or Renegade for power damage.

Thanks.. made the build changes you advised. Will save my laurels.Which would you advise for my play style, Renegade or Herald?Is bow a viable option over hammer.. or situational specific?

@Smiter.3861 said:

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:DO NOT BUY GEAR WITH LAURELS. IT'S A TOTAL WASTE. Much better to convert the Laurels into T4 or T6 materials instead (medium or heavy bags). It's super easy to get Ascended Gear in this game in a dozen different ways. Laurels are absolutely one of the worst and least cost effective ways to do that. Additionally, when it comes time for you to build Legendary Gear (if that's ever a goal you go for) having tons of Laurels can speed up that process for a piece of Legendary Equipment greatly.

Thanks.. made the build changes you advised. Will save my laurels.Which would you advise for my play style, Renegade or Herald?Is bow a viable option over hammer.. or situational specific?

Both Renegade and Herald work for what you want to do. I think Herald is easier to play than Renegade, but Renegade generally is more rewarding once you get good with it. Both will pull similar amounts of damage for a Power build, with Renegade pulling ahead by a tiny, tiny bit. Personally I love both, so I think you should experiment and have fun with it. I use a Condi Renegade for most of my Open World PvE stuff, so I tend to lean towards Ren. If you do choose Ren, just remember your sustain comes from Soulcleave's Summit the most, while other sustain comes from Icerazor's Ire + your trait Dance of Death

Bow is absolutely viable over hammer! Hammer was my favorite weapon for years, but after some changes it doesn't feel great to use anymore imo, so I tend to stay away from it. Shortbow on the otherhand just keeps getting easier and more fun to use with the last couple changes they've made to it. It's more of a condi weapon, but the power damage on it is high enough that you can use it on a power build and be fine. Plus it synergizes really well with Soulcleave (Kalla's Elite Skill) for massive fast lifesteal. I love shortbow and would likely slot it over hammer if I was running a power build for what you're doing

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Both Renegade and Herald work for what you want to do.

Bow is absolutely viable over hammer! Hammer was my favorite weapon for years, but after some changes it doesn't feel great to use anymore imo, so I tend to stay away from it. Shortbow on the otherhand just keeps getting easier and more fun to use with the last couple changes they've made to it. It's more of a condi weapon, but the power damage on it is high enough that you can use it on a power build and be fine. Plus it synergizes really well with Soulcleave (Kalla's Elite Skill) for massive fast lifesteal. I love shortbow and would likely slot it over hammer if I was running a power build for what you're doing

Spent my points to train Renegade and was given the Exotic bow. Celestial, Grieving, Viper are the choices for traits.I am guessing Viper would be a good choice option? Though Celestial looks good too with the stats.

Ran my character to Orr last night. Have 700K worth of Karma saved.., so am thinking about getting the Berserker Temple Gear.Ha... was much easier getting there on Raptor than the last time I hoofed it with my own feet 7 years ago.Would there me another Karma set you would advise over this?Thanks for sharing your experience.

@Smiter.3861 said:

Both Renegade and Herald work for what you want to do.

Spent my points to train Renegade and was given the Exotic bow. Celestial, Grieving, Viper are the choices for traits.I am guessing Viper would be a good choice option? Though Celestial looks good too with the stats.

Ran my character to Orr last night. Have 700K worth of Karma saved.., so am thinking about getting the Berserker Temple Gear.Ha... was much easier getting there on Raptor than the last time I hoofed it with my own feet 7 years ago.Would there me another Karma set you would advise over this?Thanks for sharing your experience.

Grieving is closer to what you want for a power build, since it's pretty much slightly lower berserker stats with condi damage on top. Though any of those choices are fine til you get the berserker pieces anyway

Karma is relatively worthless so gearing with it before getting ascended isn't a bad option. I haven't geared in exotics in years upon years, so not sure off the top of my head what the best options would be, but that one does sound good/ideal

Picked up the Berserker temple armor. Will be working on saving gold for my rings/trinkets.Looking at switching out the Retribution line as you advised. Already have that, do you mean I should drop that and pick another line? Confused on that part. Thanks

@Smiter.3861 said:

Picked up the Berserker temple armor. Will be working on saving gold for my rings/trinkets.Looking at switching out the Retribution line as you advised. Already have that, do you mean I should drop that and pick another line? Confused on that part. Thanks

What I mean is Retribution is not ideal to do max dps for a powe build, so if you have renegade or Herald unlocked then swap retribution for one of those two traitlines. Most standard power build utilize devastation, invocation, and then either Herald or Renegade. I would only take Retribution for a core power build generally or unless you really need the sustain (which with Dance of Death and your other sustain options you really don’t)

What I mean is Retribution is not ideal to do max dps for a powe build, so if you have renegade or Herald unlocked then swap retribution for one of those two traitlines. Most standard power build utilize devastation, invocation, and then either Herald or Renegade. I would only take Retribution for a core power build generally or unless you really need the sustain (which with Dance of Death and your other sustain options you really don’t)Ahh... i see. I only had 40 points at the moment,, so I guess I need to train whole line first before Renegade shows up.