Engineer Change Proposal (big post)

Ario.8964

Hey all, the following will be my rundown/suggestions for the engineer class. Feel free to comment, give feedback or whatever but please stay on topic and refrain from making this a "bash anet" thread. I also urge you to read before commenting as it will make debate and discussion easier. The traits I talk about scrapping will be replaced but some of those will need to be discussed as I need some ideas. Wall of text inc (you've been warned)Let's start with Weapon Skills:Pistol/pistol- Honestly feels fine to me.

Shield- Solid weapon but the stun auto procs counter cc traits which is not good. It's not really engineer specific but counter cc should be removed so you aren't encouraged to attack into the shield 5 to stun the engineer blocking you. Cd should be reduced to 25 seconds or have block duration increased to 3 seconds.

Rifle- Auto damage feels rather low but overall I've liked the rest of the weapon. I think overcharged shot right now ought to have the self cc looked at (reduce the time you're cced. Self cc as a risk reward factor is a good thing imo because it encourages landing the skill when you know it'll hit or risk getting wrecked after failing to cc an opponent) right now there's so much cc and stab it's rough to get usage out of that skill without going through a ridiculous amount of skill baiting to get by passives and blocks.

Sword- Damage feels low and the weapon auto feels super slow. The leap could possibly be given an evade to compensate the risk of playing melee as an engineer.

Hammer- Fine as is. The problems with scrapper come from it's interaction with the meta, not because of the weapon.

Utilities:Kits)Med Kit-

1. Changed to a small aoe around the engineer (similar to druid avatar 4) where you pulse some healing for yourself and allies (no water field created)
  2. -5. funtionality changed to be a large projectile that lands and explodes in a burst of healing/condi removal (specific removal changes for each skill) the throws go on the ammo system with a count recharge of 30 each and a maximum stack of 2 (4 seconds between uses of each charge) base healing is 900-1500 (debate is needed on this)skill 2- Removes 1 damaging condi and grants regen.skill 3- Removes 1 debilitating condi and grants furyskill 4- Removes 1 movement impairing condi and grants swiftnessskill 5- Removes 2 conditions (non type specific) and grants resistanceShorten the toolbelt skill cast time to 3/4 seconds instead of 1 second

Flamethrower-Napalm- Now a circular aoe instead of a line, now pulses once every 2 seconds (pvp/wvw only change to not screw over pve condi builds)Smoke vent- Becomes a pulsing blind field around you for 4 seconds

Elixer Gun-Glob shot- increase damage by 10% and projectile speed increasedFumigate- Allow the condition removal to apply to the engineer as well (we need a bit of burst condi removal) increase cd to 20 seconds and only begins recharge after the skill has been casted completely (if it doesn't already)Acid bomb- Needs to remove a condi when paired with alchemy, it gains every other elixer benefit (I.E might with hgh) so it needs to interact with alchemical tinctures

Tool Kit-Remove the power wrench trait and make the repair effectiveness increase baseline. Replace it with a trait that blinds foes that you cc (competes with reactive lenses for a build but isn't inherently overpowered)Auto- buff attack speed on 3rd part of the chainBox of nails- this skill is just bad, make it apply 2 stacks of bleed per second with the cripple in a larger aoe for 5 seconds (base condition duration buffed to 5 seconds)

Grenade Kit-Remove grenadier trait and make the radius increase a baseline of the kit (no option for velocity increase) increase the range of all grenades to 1100 or 1050Poison grenades now leave a field like they used toBug where grenades go into the ground without doing anything will also need to be fixed.

Bomb Kit-Remove short fuse trait and make all bombs use the shorter fuse time as their baseline.Smoke bomb blinds every second, not every 2 secondsGlue bomb cripples for 2 seconds each pulse now instead of 1

Mortar Kit-Right now it's just a longer range grenade kit, it needs it's own personality and feel to it. The 4 and 5 are fine because they give the kit some defensive utility but the first 3 skills need to change1) Now explodes and burns on impact (1 stack for 2 seconds), increase projectile velocity to make it a more reliable damage tool2) Now becomes mortar barrage (Rapidly launches a spread of 10 mortar shots that explode and cripple enemies on impact 20 second cd)3) Becomes "improvised RPG" the engi now fires the shell from his mortar off his shoulder (like an rpg) that explodes and knocks back enemies from the point of impact (as it is a targeted skill it can be body blocked by someone while it travels along it's path)

Turrets)Turrets take 33% reduced condi damage to help them survive a bit better for those looking to play with some turrets (now have a regen buff that gives them 500 health every 3 seconds so if you're gonna damage them you will ant to commit and finish the job). Detonation damage is removed to avoid having a heal combo proc things like full counter

Healing turret- Reduce the delay on the overcharge going off so the skill is quicker to use and reduce cast time to 1/2 second

Flame turret- Increase burn stacks to 2 and make the duration a base of 4 seconds

Net turret- Decrease fire rate to 5 seconds

Thumper turret- Fine as is.

Rocket turret- Increase rate to 5 seconds

Rifle turret- Increase damage by 5-10%

Gadgets)

Rocket Boots- Add a small evade frame onto the end when you are rolling to make them useable as a safe engage tool

Slick Shoes- Remove the 1 hit limit from the oil field (if people are going to be stupid and run into the field they deserve to be cced) but make the hits function like static aura where you can only be hit once every 2 seconds as then there is counterplay for people to react but those who remain in the field will be further punished. Increase slick duration and skill duration to 4 seconds.

Personal Battering Ram- Add a projectile reflection to both the skill and it's corresponding toolbelt (engineer needs to have utility on things like this to make them competetive selections)

Mine- Increase radius of trigger to 200 to make them more reliable to land

Utility Goggles- Fine as is.

Elixers)I find elixers to be fine as they are in terms of performance. Many elixer builds exist that work so there's really only 1 change that I have to offer.

Elixer R- Removes all movement impairing conditions.

Exceed)Coolant blast- Add "remove 3 conditions when above 100% heat" as a new tier.

Spectrum Shield- Fine as it is

Photon Wall- Increase the size of the barrier to make it a bit more reliable as a defensive utility.

Laser Disk- Buff the damage by 5%

Hard Light Arena- Increase the radius to 300 as a base and make it block projectiles when above the heat threshold.

Gyros)All of the gyros are too glassy to get any lasting benefit from outside of a 1v1. I propose giving them 33%-50% more hp to help them last when needed in crucial fights.

Medic Gyro- Allow the gyro to pulse the heal around it once every 3 seconds instead of on 1 ally once every 3 seconds.

Purge Gyro- Make the effect an aoe rather than single target.

Shredder Gyro- Increase the radius so it can hit something.

Bulwark Gyro- Fine as is.

Blast Gyro- Fine as is.

Stealth Gyro- Fine as is.

Traits:Explosives)Grenadier- Grenade buff removed and the fall damage trait is left as "Explosive Descent" (this one is open for suggestions)Everything else works fine

Firearms)Juggernaut- Stability and might when wielding a rifle, pistols, or a flamethrower (longer interval may have to be introduced to prevent too much stability uptime and too much might generation considering other might stacking options available) only functions in combat now.Skilled Marksman- Moved to replace short fuse and replaced with a new trait "increase damage done by bleeding by 20%"

Inventions)Automated Bomb Dispenser- Now have the smoke bomb tick blind every second.

Over Shield- Grants 5 seconds of protection.

Experimental Turrets- Now apply the boons every 5 seconds for 3 seconds for everything but flame and net turret which will have their boons for a 10 second duration.

Soothing Detonation- Add heal bombs back at 300 health per bomb explosion. Blast finisher healing will remain the same for starters but both heal amounts can be tweaked as needed.

Medical Dispersion Field- Applies to all healing you receive from regen and other personal heals (no aoe heals from your team will proc it) and increase the sharing range to 400

Tools)Power Wrench- Replaced with a new trait that blinds foes you cc

Static Discharge- Increase damage by 5-10%

Streamlined Kits- Now has backpack regenerator merged into it as a 10 second buff (unstrippable) that is applied when you equip a kit (still have kit regen but now it's a buff applied when you equip a kit instead of encouraging kit camping). The cd of this trait is reduced to 10 seconds and swiftness duration is also reduced to 10 seconds.

Takedown Round- Now sticks to the target and leaves a red circle around them until it goes off. Also places a debuff icon on their utility bar so they can see when it'll go off.

Kinetic Battery- Adds an effect that recharges the last toolbelt skill you used when you reach your full stacks (I.E. I have 4 stacks and use grenade barrage, now I can use it again)

Alchemy)Inversion Enzyme- All elixers convert conditions to boons (not just egun and no longer works on fumigate)

Backpack Regenerator- Removed from this slot and replaced with a trait that removes 1 condition when you trigger a blast finisher (icd can be discussed if needed)

Self regulating defenses- Removed and replaced with "grant allies protection when you trigger a blast finisher" (choice between damage mitigation and condi removal)

Stim Supplier- the stimulant now removes a condition and acts the same as the new med kit 2 (will explode after you heal)

Iron Blooded- Applies to condition damage as well to be a more competetive trait for those looking to up their tankiness over their damage or sustain

Scrapper)Impact Savant- Applies to all cc, not just stuns and dazes

Expert Examination- Now applies to all cc instead of just stun and daze (Condi durations and possible icd can be tweaked if needed for balance)

Applied Force- Now gives you more damage (10%) while under the effects of quickness along with it's current effect

Holosmith)Light Density Amplifier- 20% damage reduction instead of 15% but generates 2 heat instead of 1.

Solar Focusing Lens- Instead of having a set number of attacks, for the next 3 seconds after entering photon forge or overheating all attacks from you will burn (1 stack for 2 seconds for each attack)

Thermal Release Valve- Burn duration increased to 5 seconds. Heat Therapy now also grants you (1 or 2) endurance per unit of heat you lose.

Photonic Blasting Module- Degeneration on you is decreased by 50% so overheat builds can be a style of play rather than a gimmick. Damage from overheat can be reduced if necessary.

And that's it. Congratulations if you read the whole thing and considering I wrote this at 3 in the morning I'll be updating it as I go to keep suggestions relevant and hopefully smart. Discuss!

Already made some edits, more to come

The idea, which granted i did not put in my post, is that other classes' damage will be overall reduced and passive invuln removed from the game. Myself and many other engis would love to ditch the auto elixer s but 1) there's no good traits that are competitive 2) there's too much damage present to function without it. What I want is for engineer to have good trait selections and a more skill based game where passive invuln isn't existent.

Idk what power wrench has to do with engineer survivability because any engi who runs tools should be running with reactive lenses at this point in the game... The idea with that sort of change though is to remove traits that buff kits to a functional level (I.E short fuse and grenadier) and make those effects baseline so kits can be useful without dictating your entire trait spread. The recharge reduction no longer being present in the game allows for cd's to be tweaked and numbers to be adjusted which ofc would have to happen with changes like this.

@Ario.8964 said:Idk what power wrench has to do with engineer survivability because any engi who runs tools should be running with reactive lenses at this point in the game...

I disagree.

@Ario.8964 said:The idea with that sort of change though is to remove traits that buff kits to a functional level (I.E short fuse and grenadier) and make those effects baseline so kits can be useful without dictating your entire trait spread. The recharge reduction no longer being present in the game allows for cd's to be tweaked and numbers to be adjusted which ofc would have to happen with changes like this.

I agree. (Assuming the kits get some fair baseline love). Maybe even take it further and also do this with traits for the main/off hand weapons? (Since we have so few of them)

Archived