Nerfs the ranger class as a whole needs, please Anet. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Ranger

Nerfs the ranger class as a whole needs, please Anet.

anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2020 in Ranger

I'd like to share what needs to be nerfed and some way to buff other area so that nerf is not impacting the class as a whole.

• Greatsword is over performing in sPvP mode. The block is too long making this weapon clearly too forgiving for the class. I would reduce the block time to 1.5s seconds leaving in 3s for WvW. Reducing the block will not be enough thou, because the other weapon combinations don't bring enough utility. Axe#4 needs a wide corridor area of effect, Dagger#5 needs a teleport to target when hit.
  • Ancient Seeds is an extremely passive trait which brings too much immob in any game mode. That trait needs to be removed as no rework can make a trait which applies immobilize fun to play with or against to.
  • Multipliers on Soulbeast are too many. It still can make absurd numbers like 10k mauls (against glass targets). Remove the 7% from fury as that is basically a constant extra damage, replace that minor with GM Oppressive Superiority which will make the Soulbeast to have less multipliers. It will also make the multiplier less consistent as it will apply depending on the enemy hp related to the ranger. I don't see Skills like Sic'em as an issue as those work the same as other classes have to increase burst for short time.
  • Druid has access to too many stealth sources. Druid having access to smokescale F2 (lunar impact, warhorn, sword, Greatsword can apply stealth from there) + Celestial Shadows + Runes of the trapper makes too many sources of stealth which can be constantly applied during the battle. This will scale in the future if newer pets get additional combo fields or effects the druid may interact with. Remove access to pets F2, as such druid does does not have access to secondary effects from the pets.
  • Axe main hand is overperforming in all PvP modes, that single weapon can carry tank builds with little investment. Axe a ranged weapon (900 range) does too much damage being able to hit for 4-5K with the autos. Splitblade can be a one shot skill if you hit with the 5 blades (2.5K each * 5 times ), Winters Bite can still deal more than a Maul with the additional range, no visual cue and the effects of weakness and freezing. The main culprit is the might from the auto attack which can build very fast with the bouncing attack. Remove might from the auto attack, that will bring the numbers down still allowing the ranger to build a burst with different skills/traits. Winters bite could benefit from an slower projectile and a more clear visual cue like a bigger projectile or an snow trail. Honed axes should increase Expertise ( 150 + 150 ) when equipped instead to empower the hybrid nature of the weapon.
  • Beastmastery traitline brings too much for the Soulbeast in any gamemode. It does bring more damage and utility than skirmish and marksmanship with the extra stats, extra damage when at full hp and the extra movement speed increasing at the same time the tankiness of the soulbeast. Additional Stats and movement speed should be removed from the traitline and applied as baseline for all the pets. If the movement speed for the soulbeast is important can be applied as secondary effect in Essence of speed or as minor to the Soulbeast traitline.

Comments

• Eurantien.4632Eurantien.4632 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020

@Supreme.3164

I said nerf sustain on Wilderness Survival.
    What that means is running a build without wilderness survival inherently has little sustain. You could take windborne notes and/or resounding timber, yet running NM and BM to get those traits + another line that isn't WS would make your build inherently low in sustain. You would have poor healing, weak access to condi clear, and would likely have a hard time dealing with burst damage.

You could take healing spring or bear stance to bolster your condi clear without running WS but using your heal to negate condition damage leaves you insanely vulnerable at other times. I would define a build such as that to be inherently low in sustain.

When I say nerf WS i mean what I have said since the beginning. Rugged Growth should never have existed. We need condition clears in other lines.

WS provides ranger with protection on dodge - very strong. That protection heals more than regen - even with the nerf (and low healing power). It also provides ranger with some of its only condition clears and CD reduction on ranger's (arguably) best heal and stunbreaks.

People complain about Ranger DPS and whatnot, but the problem really isn't that ranger does too much damage when it is glass in return (that's a good thing), it is that ranger can still do really solid damage numbers while running a line that carries ranger on its own, WS.

I think the game would benefit from super strong lines like WS being nerfed across all professions - where instead of having "do it all" skills and builds you have to build in moments of weakness.

Builds that run 3 lines without WS have inherent weaknesses. Especially if you run 3 dps traitlines. You have little condi clear and clear windows where you have nothing available. And that is how I believe the game should be played.

What ranger truly needs is to be free from the pigeon-hole that is WS. It has always been there, some nerfs to the line and some love to some other lines/utilities to provide ranger with some more condi clear options besides our heal skills and ranger would be in a much healthier spot.

As an aside,
    Bunker ranger in sPvP works just fine and is quite strong. Unfortunately, it is that it is currently overshadowed by things much stronger, such as Kalla Renegade.
    There are also other ranger builds that work decently well... that being said it is by no means anywhere close to optimal for sPvP - other professions are simply better.

Again, even though WS is the root of ranger's problems and the sustain it offers needs to be shaved, it cannot be done until condi clear appears somewhere else for ranger and/or other professions are nerfed as well.

• @Gotejjeken.1267 said:
    Anyone that has been around long enough to remember when jaguars could hit huge numbers from their stealth F2 without any leashing range will know what I'm talking about.

With the good old "Guard", for some extra stealth. Miss the old wvw days. :)

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

Rangers are so easily dabbed on these days.

There are way more problematic things in the game.

The only thing which I find reasonable is Ancient Seeds nerf, the rest is just trivial.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Sandzibar.5134Sandzibar.5134 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020

@Yasai.3549 said:

The only thing which I find reasonable is Ancient Seeds nerf, the rest is just trivial.

This.

The other changes would remove the remaining viability of the class in a world of DH Scrapper Holo Weavers Deadeye etc etc

• anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sandzibar.5134 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:

This.

The other changes would remove the remaining viability of the class in a world of DH Scrapper Holo Weavers Deadeye etc etc

Being the least successful class in sPvP doesn't mean this aspects aren't overpowered also i have open many other threads asking for buffs/reworks/fixes as i see them...

There is no point to post always the same content, if Anet reads the forums they already have my input.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021

Delete, why bother anymore

• @anduriell.6280 said:
    I'd like to share what needs to be nerfed and some way to buff other area so that nerf is not impacting the class as a whole.

• Greatsword is over performing in sPvP mode. The block is too long making this weapon clearly too forgiving for the class. I would reduce the block time to 1.5s seconds leaving in 3s for WvW. Reducing the block will not be enough thou, because the other weapon combinations don't bring enough utility. Axe#4 needs a wide corridor area of effect, Dagger#5 needs a teleport to target when hit.
    • Ancient Seeds is an extremely passive trait which brings too much immob in any game mode. That trait needs to be removed as no rework can make a trait which applies immobilize fun to play with or against to.
    • Multipliers on Soulbeast are too many. It still can make absurd numbers like 10k mauls (against glass targets). Remove the 7% from fury as that is basically a constant extra damage, replace that minor with GM Oppressive Superiority which will make the Soulbeast to have less multipliers. It will also make the multiplier less consistent as it will apply depending on the enemy hp related to the ranger. I don't see Skills like Sic'em as an issue as those work the same as other classes have to increase burst for short time.
    • Druid has access to too many stealth sources. Druid having access to smokescale F2 (lunar impact, warhorn, sword, Greatsword can apply stealth from there) + Celestial Shadows + Runes of the trapper makes too many sources of stealth which can be constantly applied during the battle. This will scale in the future if newer pets get additional combo fields or effects the druid may interact with. Remove access to pets F2, as such druid does does not have access to secondary effects from the pets.
    • Axe main hand is overperforming in all PvP modes, that single weapon can carry tank builds with little investment. Axe a ranged weapon (900 range) does too much damage being able to hit for 4-5K with the autos. Splitblade can be a one shot skill if you hit with the 5 blades (2.5K each * 5 times ), Winters Bite can still deal more than a Maul with the additional range, no visual cue and the effects of weakness and freezing. The main culprit is the might from the auto attack which can build very fast with the bouncing attack. Remove might from the auto attack, that will bring the numbers down still allowing the ranger to build a burst with different skills/traits. Winters bite could benefit from an slower projectile and a more clear visual cue like a bigger projectile or an snow trail. Honed axes should increase Expertise ( 150 + 150 ) when equipped instead to empower the hybrid nature of the weapon.
    • Beastmastery traitline brings too much for the Soulbeast in any gamemode. It does bring more damage and utility than skirmish and marksmanship with the extra stats, extra damage when at full hp and the extra movement speed increasing at the same time the tankiness of the soulbeast. Additional Stats and movement speed should be removed from the traitline and applied as baseline for all the pets. If the movement speed for the soulbeast is important can be applied as secondary effect in Essence of speed or as minor to the Soulbeast traitline.

how about we nerf the ranger and delete the thief class.

edited January 9, 2021

@XerMeLL.6042 said:

Thief needs balancing too, mostly about how stealth works, which would also fix Druid’s access to stealth

If i’m playing now with thief doesn’t mean i haven't played thousands of hours on the ranger and that I do play with it from time to time.

• @XerMeLL.6042 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:

ArenaNet would have to return every gold coins, every bit of money in the real life and every gems to those who play the Thief profession if they deleted it from the game. What a joke.

• @Arheundel.6451 said:

@XerMeLL.6042 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:

He plays necro now so.....he'll ask for nerfs on anything that soft couter his new main....so if you're a thief or ranger get ready to be bombarded with nerf threads by @anduriell.6280 .

lol Oh dear.

• You know what? Ranger Longbow range is just too much, it should be the AT LEAST the max range as the other class that I play so that I can hit them, even though it’s a RANGEr and has traits that specifically reward you for playing the class as such. Nerf it.
    Condi Cleanse and sustain being entirely reliant on one skill line is still OP. (Not having it is just a massive pigeonhole) Thieves should easily be able to 1v1 this class, as they should naturally have the best mobility in the game AND should win 1v1s.
    Great sword is another HUGE problem. Even though it serves primarily as a defensive weapon w 1 burst skill that is telegraphed to space before it hits, those cool downs should be way more! As a thief I should see a ranger switch to GS and I should only have to actually worry about one block skill on a long CD. Past that I should be able to spam D/P 3 or 5 and auto attack. Anything less than that, Ranger must be over performing!

What a joke. I’ve seen actual thief players (not those that switch to get an easier matchup) destroy the telegraphed moves of ranger. Don’t get me wrong, ranger matches up pretty well against a thief, but these issues that are brought up here are laughable. This is a L2P issue entirely.

• Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

they should fix lb range, and remove ancient seed.
    other then that class has some kitten going on for it but tbh its much less kitten then most.

• Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

Main hand axe always felt to me like it was supposed to be a hybrid weapon, but never quite got there due to the autoattack not inflicting any condi damage and only doing power damage + might. I would like to see main hand axe auto changed to have an attack chain like nerco’s sceptre. First hit gain might, second attack inflict bleed, third attack inflict bleed, gain might. I’d also like to see honed axes changed to provide 60 power and condi damage / 120 power and condi if using an axe instead of ferocity to fit the hybrid style a bit better.

@Sylvia.4870 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

He plays necro now so.....he'll ask for nerfs on anything that soft couter his new main....so if you're a thief or ranger get ready to be bombarded with nerf threads by @anduriell.6280 .

lol Oh dear.

I don't know where those wild speculations are coming from.. lol

• FyzE.3472FyzE.3472 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Peter.3901 said:

I want my zord then.

• DeceiverX.8361DeceiverX.8361 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    Core Ranger fails at condi builds
    Core Ranger power builds were over-nerfed and can no longer compete in higher tiers unless it is vs. very specifically power damage

Druid is bad unless you're playing in middle tiers
    Druid is only "looking to be viable" because of Jacaranda

Condi Soulbeast is atrociously bad and in no way viable
    Power Soulbeast is still viable amongst high tier, but it literally takes "the most experienced Ranger players in the community" to be able to even make it work

Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast is middle tier amongst everything else at best right now in this current patching. Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast has always felt strong in middle tiers due to middle tier players not understanding how to work LOS and how to exploit bad pet pathing, which is what most of you are probably feeling. Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast in higher tiers is just really really difficult to play. It couldn't sustain anymore nerfing in this current patching without dropping out of the scene completely, and that isn't bias, that is actually true.

The only thing that SHOULD be tended to is Druid immob spam builds. <- This has nothing to do with OP or UP, it's about obnoxious mechanics. The real root of the problem is the Jacaranda. Jacaranda is the icing on the cake of these builds that puts them over the top in terms of frequency of immob spam, and ability to deal a lot of damage while the player is caught in the immob spam. That damage coming from Call Lightning. If it weren't for the Call Lightning, I assure you that Druid has bad damage.

Per the usual, the problem still is a split in gameplay from sPvP and WvW. It's not as good as guard on-node and longbow can't function well while engaged in melee.

That said, anyone claiming soulbeast of any kind is even remotely balanced right now in WvW where it can leverage its entire kit in open-space fights with a more diverse set of gear options is absolutely full of kitten. Bruiser longbow Soulbeast + Minstrel ele is literally the S+ tier combo in everything outside of ZvZ and can pretty much indefinitely tank any group of less than 10 while having enough kill pressure on the soulbeast to take targets down one at a time. The damage is still there even on a build meant mostly to sustain by sheer unconditional modifiers, raw stats, and innate damage potential.

Even with only like 100 hours on condi soulbeast I frequently win 1v2/1v3 and it's my go-to class to roam on when I start losing and needing a free carry, well past a cut above 6k hours on thief and another 1.5k on my Dia+ level Reaper that I used to coach people on how to play...

So yeah, maybe not top tier in sPvP but WvW-specific nerfs being requested are absolutely justified.

You sure that Sniper idea is as good as you thought it was gonna be?
    Because I think my original idea is better.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:
    Even with only like 100 hours on condi soulbeast I frequently win 1v2/1v3 and it's my go-to class to roam on when I start losing and needing a free carry, well past a cut above 6k hours on thief and another 1.5k on my Dia+ level Reaper that I used to coach people on how to play...

So yeah, maybe not top tier in sPvP but WvW-specific nerfs being requested are absolutely justified.

Just saying using the win rate in WvW is not a clear pointer a build or class is op, most of the peeps you can find in there are PvE players doing the transition to PvP. In other words is not like you can find there the top experienced players.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021

@anduriell.6280 said:

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

Just saying using the win rate in WvW is not a clear pointer a build or class is op, most of the peeps you can find in there are PvE players doing the transition to PvP. In other words is not like you can find there the top experienced players.

Trying to make a universal claim that a lot of wvw players are in that mode "because they are transitioning to pvp" is as random as it is false.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021

@anduriell.6280 said:

Wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.
    I play WvW because I hate PvP amulets, I like Group v Group fights and I like the whole "battlefield" objective based gamemode.

PvP is just a cesspool which yu are thrown in with static objectives which force players to fight over, with stifled build options thanks to nerfs and amulets.
    PvP yuck.

There's a reason why Renegade isn't GGOP in WvW despite having a better overall performance, and there aren't dumb nerfs and amulets choking out builds in WvW and there are a variety of builds that can put down GGOP builds in WvW.

Any gamemode which limits the player build wise is disgusting in my opinion.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Druid needs a decent QoL...

Slayers [XD] NSP Guild
    Yao Chen Herald/Ventari
    Ying Wuxian Renegade/Demon

• Sandzibar.5134Sandzibar.5134 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2021

@quaniesan.8497 said:
    Should rangers ask nerfs to elem, mesmers, and guardians for spamming reflects all the time in groups?

I mean... it would be interesting if reflects had a "quantity reflected" mechanic rather than refelct uptime duration... you know exactly how unblockable works now.

xD

• Aridon.8362Aridon.8362 Member ✭✭✭

As a warrior I eat a lot of rangers for breakfast. Nice try though.

• Arheundel.6451Arheundel.6451 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2021

@Aridon.8362 said:
    As a warrior I eat a lot of rangers for breakfast. Nice try though.

It's not really an amazing feat I'd say to beat ranger at this point, with all the nerfs the class has received and how easy is to negate most of their dmg with reflect/dodge and side strifes to avoid pets, ofc there are still those who die to a ranger and cry wolf ....like some players using that bot class Necro and in WvW to boot out of all places.

I can't remember the last time I lost to a ranger whether it be PvP or WvW, must have been like 1 year or more when boonbeast was a thing and soulbeast had pet swap, after that the conditions to lose to a ranger are :

A ) You play a bot class like necro where you switch off your brain and F1 to glory so...people get used to never dodge and such
    B ) You are a new player

-A wise man once said- "Fight cheese with cheese or be cheesed in return, mind not those who will accuse you of being a cheese as they like cheese themselves"

• Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    Core Ranger fails at condi builds
    Core Ranger power builds were over-nerfed and can no longer compete in higher tiers unless it is vs. very specifically power damage

Druid is bad unless you're playing in middle tiers
    Druid is only "looking to be viable" because of Jacaranda

Condi Soulbeast is atrociously bad and in no way viable
    Power Soulbeast is still viable amongst high tier, but it literally takes "the most experienced Ranger players in the community" to be able to even make it work

Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast is middle tier amongst everything else at best right now in this current patching. Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast has always felt strong in middle tiers due to middle tier players not understanding how to work LOS and how to exploit bad pet pathing, which is what most of you are probably feeling. Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast in higher tiers is just really really difficult to play. It couldn't sustain anymore nerfing in this current patching without dropping out of the scene completely, and that isn't bias, that is actually true.

The only thing that SHOULD be tended to is Druid immob spam builds. <- This has nothing to do with OP or UP, it's about obnoxious mechanics. The real root of the problem is the Jacaranda. Jacaranda is the icing on the cake of these builds that puts them over the top in terms of frequency of immob spam, and ability to deal a lot of damage while the player is caught in the immob spam. That damage coming from Call Lightning. If it weren't for the Call Lightning, I assure you that Druid has bad damage.

Per the usual, the problem still is a split in gameplay from sPvP and WvW. It's not as good as guard on-node and longbow can't function well while engaged in melee.

That said, anyone claiming soulbeast of any kind is even remotely balanced right now in WvW where it can leverage its entire kit in open-space fights with a more diverse set of gear options is absolutely full of kitten. Bruiser longbow Soulbeast + Minstrel ele is literally the S+ tier combo in everything outside of ZvZ and can pretty much indefinitely tank any group of less than 10 while having enough kill pressure on the soulbeast to take targets down one at a time. The damage is still there even on a build meant mostly to sustain by sheer unconditional modifiers, raw stats, and innate damage potential.

Yeah but see you're just going against what would be otherwise called "silver tier players" or maybe "bottom gold players" while you're in wvw. This makes the Soulbeast builds FEEL strong when you are against players of that tier for all the reasons I already stated here in this thread. But if you were to go against platinum + combat mechanically enabled players with Soulbeast builds, you wouldn't be 1v2ing or 1v3ing anything and in fact you'd be struggling in wvw 1v1s against players who actually know how to figure out how to take advantage of things like sigils of draining & absorption.

Soulbeast is not the strongest roamer, not even close. Other things like Mirage or Daredevil or even Speed Rune Reapers, can seriously abuse and exploit pve gear options to the point that they because 1vX worthy opponents that can stay on top of you and deny you of actions or boons until you die, and they have seemingly infinite heal cycling with draining and CC play. Soulbeast cannot wield those options like some other classes can. I'm telling you, most people in wvw are honestly low tier mechanically and knowledge wise. If we had all of the people playing from about 3 or 4 years ago again, you'd see REAL FAST that Soulbeast was only roughly a middle tiered roamer maybe a somewhere in between top tier and middle tier. 100% guarantee you Daredevils and Mirages would be the top #2 roaming threats if there were more players around again who actually knew what they were doing.

• Nihil.9817Nihil.9817 Member ✭✭

they just need to take ele and ranger out behind the shed already

• In every match I get 2 necro or 2 Guardian, I dont get why nerf other class