[Poll] Weapon for the next Guardian Elite Specialization — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Poll] Weapon for the next Guardian Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2017 in Guardian

What weapon would you like to get for the next guardian elite specialization?

Clarification: I added an option for "other" weapons, too, so you can tell us what currently non-existant weapon you would like to get as a guardian.

I would appreciate if you voted and told us why you'd like to see your chosen weapon for the next guardian's elite specialization!

[Poll] Weapon for the next Guardian Elite Specialization 342 votes

Axe (offhand)
0%
Seteruss.4058Gemnaid.4219Ahlen.7591 3 votes
Dagger (mainhand/offhand or both)
10%
MaxwellM.2075Albione.3894Cuddy.6247Zanjii.8214Nico.2406Almost in War.9326michelada.2947Mimterest.4639Amityel.5324InsaneQR.7412Regon Phoenix.8215Bluehydra.6392Loboling.5293Alehin.3746AlphaWolvesGamer.5790xanfa.2584Lonewolf Kai.3682Gabranth.9587Vhex.8643Vieteriukko.6075 37 votes
Mace (offhand)
4%
Akeno.4962Mikau.6920SirMoogie.9263Korvous.6340Kerivek.5740dbreien.2543Aurelius.6829R E F L H E X.8413NaiveBayes.2587Clockless.2503Belishine.7493Blackagar.1052Vambrace.8675Drubix.4986miguelsil.6324SexyMofo.8923 16 votes
Pistol (mainhand/offhand or both)
14%
Autumn.8043Kuya.6495TheGrimm.5624Sodeni.6041crosknight.3041Syktek.7912Cherubino XV.2384Razem.4513phokus.8934amil.4195Fjaeldmark.9043Saiyan.1704Ghotistyx.6942Fipmip.7219Aza.2105Aeolus.3615Ayumi Spender.1082RabbitUp.8294Kellen.3902Milan.9035 49 votes
Sword (offhand)
17%
Ragnarox.9601SrebX.6498Stand The Wall.6987PurebladeProductions.4875Mea.5491Jinroh.4251Anela.3867Cheese Lord.3825Headcase.4618FrownyClown.8402Chaith.8256kroof.5468maxray.8452Torgal.8345Kamikazi.5380Tora.7214TriggerSad.2597Fawkes.2836Tiale.2430Kitsana.8934 61 votes
Warhorn
26%
mazut.4296TheSlothArmada.6709godfat.2604Solori.6025pelle ossa.9705Sciva.4865Kam.4092Dante Stormwind.3794Shampanix.3928Asum.4960Alchimist.4738Klowdy.3126noobymaniac.9483TriominoGuy.8246Bluntdaddy.3914Lonami.2987Sairenkao.6485ZerOGenerations.5360Panda.1967Grimheart.2853 89 votes
Rifle
10%
Dralor.3701Ardid.7203Westenev.5289Darknicrofia.2604Cirrus.7413K THEN.5162Mysticjedi.6053Zin Dau.1749Quam.7218MrSilver.5269Rennie.6750Warrost.4895Poelala.2830Drazio.4207Dark Schneider.7841Miyafuji.1340Luciferior.4802The Spiral King.2483Phyrak.7260Crazyaces.2059 35 votes
Short bow
2%
NotoriousNaru.1705Zaraki.5784Opopanax.1803lagrimabendita.8763Goblin Beet Farmer.3045oscarsrlc.9872Suko.4637Derpnoob.2875Bjonk.3189 9 votes
Other
12%
MichalAniol.5807Cerioth.7062UnbentMars.9126Mara.6782Khailyn.6248SmirkDog.3160BackbonedAlex.5694Oddtz.2376Silmariena.6205crepuscular.9047Diswan.8156ProtoGunner.4953Alga.6498Thereon.5219Brutaly.6257Rodzynald.5897Blue.1207hash.8462RUNICBLACK.7630Hostility.4961 43 votes
<13

Comments

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

STAFF for next elite specialization, if they patch up the staff wont be anthing good and willl end being somethign stupid or worse like they did with the spirit weapons...

I voted for pistols to increase the dumbness of the gameplay range spam to make game worse.... (since its the more logical path for ANet to follow)

But still, as i said in another thread staff and SW need to be removed from class and get the same treatment tomes had.. staff and spirit weapons similiar to riatualist could be the next guardian elite trait.

Remove autos from all classes that are melee and range with bow or pistol, add a spell to the next guardian elite based on https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Weapon_of_Warding to players cleave with teamplay... besides 11111111

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭

@Kerivek.5740 said:
    I don't see mainhand shield on this poll. I demand a recount!
    I wouldn't mind seeing offhand mace though. I just like it aesthetically. I only hope they never give us guns. In all reality I would like to see new weapon types rather than just rotating the same ones through all the classes. Polearms would be great as a new 2h option. I'd also love to see fist weapons so they can give me the holy warrior/monk class I've always wanted.

It's unlikely that dedicated offhand weapons become useable as mainhand. That's why I didn't include it in this poll.

• Kerivek.5740Kerivek.5740 Member ✭✭✭
    Mace (offhand)

I know it was a joke. Although I do think it would be kinda great to dual wield gigantic shields.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Warhorn

In all possibility we will get an OH weapon. I think it will be either axe or warhorn. Warhorn will be cooler, and goes with the support theme.

Pistol/rifle are not likely, cuz they are not thematic with guardian, and we already have 2 ranged weapons. Dagger is not thematic with guardian either, but I though the same regarding warrior and it works.

• Other

The best weapon guards could get that fits the guardian aesthetics and theme would be - 1 handed land spears- with a melee bruiser and mobility spec which we dont have yet.

Either that or a melee full dps glass power spec with mobility.

We already have:
    Longrange full dps
    Condi spec
    Support spec

edited October 23, 2017

Diswan.8156 , DH isnt a long range full dps, traps are more like the DH main weapon than bow...
    Actually if u try to play with bow and traps only wil end in a lost fight its not hard to melt the DH lol... its a power creep gimick if fails to kill better run if u can even outrun a centaur.

DH was awfully designed, and FB was a way to sell what was suposed to be a fix on core guardian.

• Azoqu.8917Azoqu.8917 Member ✭✭✭

@Aeolus.3615 said:
    DH was awfully designed, and FB was a way to sell what was suposed to be a fix on core guardian.

Amen to this. DH is just percent damage modifiers and traps, and the only reason it's good (PvE wise) is because the modifiers increase damage so much. FB is just a fix to things the Guardian was always supposed to be good at. A burn spec wasn't really needed, just improvements to base Guard to make burn viable (VoJ 4s PvP duration being brought to PvE, spirit weapons being made into true minions that last forever like necro minions). Don't get me wrong, I love how FB plays, but it really is just a fix to the class more than an expansion to it (like how DD is just a better acrobatics for thieves).

• czerwoni.9563czerwoni.9563 Member ✭✭✭
    Other

shield main hand, for dual shield purposes. have one be offense and one defense. and make it a projectile on 2 like cap america

you say mesmer i say shadow sorcerer

• Kerivek.5740Kerivek.5740 Member ✭✭✭
    Mace (offhand)

@czerwoni.9563 said:
    shield main hand, for dual shield purposes. have one be offense and one defense. and make it a projectile on 2 like cap america

This guy gets it.

• RabbitUp.8294RabbitUp.8294 Member ✭✭✭

Dual pistols with a spec focused on mobility.

The only other weapon I would like to see on guardian would be a land spear. A few years a go I would say warhorn, but that ship sailed now, the balance team is still monkeying around and denying guardian access to swiftness, but we have mounts now.

edited October 23, 2017

@RabbitUp.8294 said:
    Dual pistols with a spec focused on mobility.

The only other weapon I would like to see on guardian would be a land spear. A few years a go I would say warhorn, but that ship sailed now, the balance team is still monkeying around and denying guardian access to swiftness, but we have mounts now.

If they make a pistol, i hope its virtues are leaps based with stances or echos as utilities :|
    I think i would play pistol shield warhammer space marine alike :|

but when i see the staff and SW..... i feel again they need to be remove for something else (hammer+offhand XD) and later re-add staff and SW ritualist based elite trait.

• Other

A one handed spear that functions as a range condi-focused weapon. ..

okay I will admit it, I miss my burning spear paragon. and throwing spears of light sounds like it would be fun. x.x

• Other

Bare handed Monk-style fighting, cause why not?

• Fipmip.7219Fipmip.7219 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

I wanna see a pistol with a single target, one shot, long cast rooting skill with a unique animation of the guy standing still, takes his time lining up the shot with an outstretched arm, other arm behind his back, and unleashes a massive shot executioner style.

• Syktek.7912Syktek.7912 Member ✭✭✭

Mainhand pistol!

F̖͎̜̪̎ͩ̃̍͜ő̠̿͐̾͐r̤̙͎̯͍̋̔̚u̬̮̺̒͒̔ͤͬm̷̪̳̝̮ ̰͔̖̩̬̯̀̑͆D̞̩̤̣̈̉̑̀ͧr͎̪̞͍͉ͬ́̌̈ͩ̿͜a̴̭m̴̠̓̀ͫ͗ͯ̒aͯͦ͝

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭

@otto.5684 said:
    In all possibility we will get an OH weapon. I think it will be either axe or warhorn. Warhorn will be cooler, and goes with the support theme.

Pistol/rifle are not likely, cuz they are not thematic with guardian, and we already have 2 ranged weapons. Dagger is not thematic with guardian either, but I though the same regarding warrior and it works.

You're right. DH got a 2 handed weapon, firebrand a one-handed one. All we are missing is an offhand. However, isn't firebrand already a good support spec? Or do you mean we should get an even more supportive spec (like druid)?

• Arcaedus.7290Arcaedus.7290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other

All of guardian's remaining possible options for a new elite spec are rather lackluster and don't fit that well with guardian thematically. I saw this coming after HoT release; guard pretty much only had warhorn and axe left (situation is even worse for warrior). This is why I advocated them introducing new weapons into the game:

• Greataxe: We have 1 and 2-handed versions of: swords, magical catalysts, blunt weapons and guns. I think it's only fair that we get a 2h great-axe.

• Polearm/Glaive: It strikes me as very peculiar that we had watchknights with their halberds, a boatload of concept art depicting spears/polearm weapons and the fact that throughout history in real life, spears have been probably the most common weapon to be used in warfare before the advent of firearms.... yet despite this we have no similar option in game.

• Crossbow/bowgun of sorts: This would be the "1-handed version" of the longbow or shortbow. It could even be equipped in an off-hand.

This would play out nicely over the next 2-4 expacs (assuming this is as much as GW2 has left) Next two expacs we could have for example:

• Warrior-Greataxe then Polearm
    • Guardian-Polearm then Warhorn
    • Revenant-Greatsword then offhand bowgun
    • Engi-MH mace then MH bowgun
    • Ranger-MH bowgun then Greataxe
    • Thief-Offhand bowgun then MH mace.
    • Elementalist-Polearm then Greatsword
    • Mesmer-MH pistol then Polearm
    • Necromancer-Greataxe then MH sword
  • Aden.9306Aden.9306 Member ✭✭
    Other

The Trident (on Land!) would be a better fit; fitting the profession more thematically.

• Pistol (mainhand/offhand or both)

i been playing to much bloodborne lately and i want the guardian to get a spec that works like a hunter. give the guard some evasive skills and change out vitues to work like eles attunements to alter dodges

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

Either dagger MH or OH (not both)or Warhorn. WH is kinda missing on guard for support but i would like to see a dagger as a range weapon option too.

• gannondorf.7628gannondorf.7628 Member ✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017
    Warhorn

I would like an offhand weapon which can complete mace/staff (obviously a buffed/reworked one) for a pure healing/support spec like the old gw1 monk does (or at last parangon). Guardian lack a pure support spec to my taste (firebrand seems to much oriented to condition damage). After all guardian was designed toward monk/parangon from the original game...

• Other

Hello all members. In my opinion, I believe it's more than fair to give new weapons to the game. Spears , tridents , great axes, short spears (1handed spears) . Spears and tridents are enable under water, they could also allow players to use them outside .
    This would be something really really new to everyone. Let's us think out a bit, for guardian in this case, we have few options left, or we go warhorn, our off hand weapon. If we go warhorn we will be support :angry: not again xD !
    I believe that we should have new weapons to use, that would give new options and new skills, the game would be like "new" to every player because it would give something different from the options that we have left, some weapons are already obvious and the build they will provide aswell.

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

@migcun.5240 said:
    Hello all members. In my opinion, I believe it's more than fair to give new weapons to the game. Spears , tridents , great axes, short spears (1handed spears) . Spears and tridents are enable under water, they could also allow players to use them outside .
    This would be something really really new to everyone. Let's us think out a bit, for guardian in this case, we have few options left, or we go warhorn, our off hand weapon. If we go warhorn we will be support :angry: not again xD !
    I believe that we should have new weapons to use, that would give new options and new skills, the game would be like "new" to every player because it would give something different from the options that we have left, some weapons are already obvious and the build they will provide aswell.

Well you can forget that they will make totally new weapons. Using underwater weapons outside of water would be something possible though because they have not to do all skin designs for them.

• Mace (offhand)

I want to see a tank/support spec in the next xpac. Off hand mace or warhorn are the weapons that makes the most sense for this. Maybe even short bow.

I also would love to see land spears. But I don't believe that gonna happen.

• Ghotistyx.6942Ghotistyx.6942 Member ✭✭✭

I can see both Pistol and Warhorn being the next big candidates. I'd also like Guardian to finally get the chill support they've danced around with Hammer.

Fishsticks

• phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pistol main would be best.

• Rifle

I voted rifle, well, what can I say, Im a WVW player and if they give us pistol I fell its gonna be weak and range 900, I want 1200.

As it comes to more theme compliant thing, I would like the ability to use torch as main hand.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rifle

I have a fairly good collection of rifle skins from my Engie, so....

• Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

I chose pistol because of the Boondock Saints.

• Mara.6782Mara.6782 Member ✭✭
    Other

I think new weapon types should be added in next expansion to give more versatility.

• Other

They could also allow players to use the specific build like long bow for dragon hunter, we could use it without Beeing force to use dragon hunter build.

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other

One word only.

Paragon.

(Which means Land-spear / 2h spear, ANYTHING but spear-related!!!!)

edited October 28, 2017

@migcun.5240 said:
    They could also allow players to use the specific build like long bow for dragon hunter, we could use it without Beeing force to use dragon hunter build.

That means they would start to realease 1 more normal trait line per class and one elite to make that work :\ they cant even designed 1 decent elites...

• Other

Halberd, Guns sounds terrible for Guardian.

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Short bow

Crossbow!!!

• Mace (offhand)

I mean... In my mind rifle or pistol don't fit guardian at all thematically and I don't rightly see them adding new weapons to the game.

I went for mace off-hand as guardians kinda lack hard, applicable cc. Yes, we have hammer but from a pve perspective that's not overly helpful. A nice power damage spec with some solid cc and access to our normal range of utility would be great.

I say "and access to our normal range of utlity" primarily to argue against DH fyi. Having to remove condi clear, stability, and reflect utility in order to make way for traps kinda sucked in my opinion.

• Rifle

Selfishly I want a rifle just so I have an excuse to actually use The Predator that I crafted 2 years ago hoping that Guardians will get rifle at some point in the future.

• Other

Throwing my two cents in SPEAR ! Yes to Paragon and if any of you have read Brandon Sandson's "Stormlight Archive" the character "Kaladin Stormblessed" if he isn't a Guardian wielding a spear I can't think of a better example

Life before Death
    Strength before Weakness
    Journey before Destination
    stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal_Words

• Other

Spear, or bare fists with a GW1 monk-style thing

"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    Tempest, Spellbreaker, Mirage, Scourge
    [AGNY] - Eternal Agony Guild, Sanctum of Rall

• Saiyan.1704Saiyan.1704 Member ✭✭✭

Pistols (Mainhand) because of our skill-set possibilities; #3 having three shot bursts, #2 interrupt enemies and grants Quickness to allies, #1 having a 3 shot, 2 shot, last combo is a 1 shot that interrupts and completely refreshes pistol#3... you know, OP stuffs.

Though Shouts on Warhoarn would be interesting to theory craft, FB is already support oriented. I absolutely DO NOT want another support spec... not everyone likes that role m8.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rifle

Shrugs What can I say? I like rifles, and I want to see how every class would use one!

• Arcaedus.7290Arcaedus.7290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other

The people want spears, Anet. DO IT!

We all know that you can't just "bring spears to land," but what you can do is give the game a new weapon, brand it as a "glaive" or a "polearm" and recycle underwater spear skins as well as some current staff animations on land in addition to new class-specific animations. Would that not be fun?

• Other

Personally It would be neat if the Spear was redone as a land weapon. Guardian lore points to their origin as a result of Paragon (who used spears in GW1) teachings melding with other traditions like the monk resulting in the Guardian.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian

It could be a hybrid weapon offering something like 3 melee skills and 2 range skills if it was 2-handed or 2 melee and 1 ranged skill if it was a 1-handed weapon. I mean a Guardian with a Spear and Shield would look kitten.

• AlphaWolvesGamer.5790AlphaWolvesGamer.5790 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017

Most of these are Placeholder Names because I'm not imaginiative enough to think of something cool!

Grey Warden [Dagger / Dagger - High Mobility Assassin themed spec.]
    Grey Wardens are no stranger to deception, practiving this skill in order to strike at the heart of their enemies. Unlike the honorable Guardians, the Grey Wardens strike at their foe without any mercy or relent from the shadows. Honor means nothing, the only thing that matters if victory at any cost. The Grey Wardens have access to the Dagger Main-hand and Off-Hand weapon types and gain access to Cantrip based skills. They often bend the light around themselves to strike at their enemies heart.

-> [F1] - Burning Assault - Passive: Same as Guardian, Active: Shadow Step to the target, damaging, burning, and blinding them.
    -> [F2] - Cleansing Jump - Passive: Same as Guardian, Active: Shadow Step to target location, healing self and others around you.
    -> [F3] - Bending Light - Passive: Same as Guardian, Active: Gain Aegis and Become Invisible for an extended time.

-> [Dagger 1.1] - Shimmering Strike: Deal damage to the enemy, deal extra damage against foes who are Blinded.
    --> [Dagger 1.2] - Shimmering Cleave: Deal damage to the enemy, dealing extra damage against foes who are Burned.
    ---> [Dagger 1.3] - Smoldering Smite: Deal damage to the enemy. Blind if you attack from the front, Burn if you attack from the sides or behind.
    -> [Dagger 2] - Righteous Repost: Block the next incoming attack, and strike back. Gain Retaliation and Burn the enemy on a successful block.
    -> [Dagger 3] - Shred Darkness: Strike against the enemy, ripping away a Boon the target and removing a Condition from yourself.

-> [Dagger 4] - Holy Pursuit: Pounce at the enemy, striking them down. Deal increased damage if they are CCed, otherwise Knockdown the target.
    -> [Dagger 5.1] - Withdraw from Darkness: Shadowstep to target location and become invisible. This ability becomes "Return to Flames".
    --> [Dagger 5.2] - Return to Flames: Return to location, unleashing a burst of fire, burning and damaging enemies in the location.

Cantrip Skills:
    -> [Ability: Heal] - Shroud in Light: Target Location is bathed with Holy Light, Blinding Enemies and Healing Allies during its duration.
    -> [Ability: Skill 1] - Shimmering Armor: Blind Nearby Foes while gaining Light Armor and Retaliation.
    -> [Ability: Skill 2] - Bend the Light: Blend into the Light and become Invisible, cleansing yourself of conditions.
    -> [Ability: Skill 3] - Binding Blades: Strike at the foe with binding blades of light, immobilizing enemies struck by the blades.
    -> [Ability: Elite] - Condemnation: Holy chains reach towards the target and foes near the target, drawing them to the user and immobilizing them.

• Sword (offhand)

Sword Offhand & Cantrips specialization with a high mobility and chase options.

Subdrop : Guardian : NA

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭
    Warhorn

I've never been a fan of the WH in general, they would need to do something unique, and more interesting for me to enjoy it. That is, however, what I could see anet going for next. That our a single dagger, in either hand.