LANGUAGE REQUEST/IDIOMA REQUISIÇÃO — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

LANGUAGE REQUEST/IDIOMA REQUISIÇÃO

[ENGLISH]
requisition of adding Portuguese language to the game, the Brazilian community in the game is reasonably large, it is not bigger due to the lack of Portuguese language in the game, through this post I ask the Brazilian community to comment here if you would like our language to be added to the game
[PT/BR]
requisição de adição de lingua portuguesa ao jogo ,a comunidade brasileira no jogo é razoavelmente grande só não é maior por causa da falta da lingua portuguesa no jogo , por meio deste post peço que a comunidade brasileira comente aqui se gostaria que nosso idioma fosse adicionado ao jogo

Comments

• I entirely agree with it. I'm brazilian and I can speak English really well, but, most of my friends who would like to play can't do it. They don't understand the language and, as the game has many different things to read and understand, most of them give up buying the game because they say they can't understand anything. Think about it, Anet.

• Totally agree 👍😌 Brazilian community are one of the most biggest and more active on MMO's... GW2 have a solid Brazilian community and we love this game... Play this game in portuguese is a dream come true!

• It would be interesting, but we know this isn't going to happen due the high cost of everything related to a translation.
    I have a 6 year old fanpage in pt-br, the community doesn't give a kitten about it after 2 years of content. Patch notes and news translations, lore translations and such. Only combat content that keeps people accessing those fanpages.

Due the lack of interesting from the community I stopped to translate lore, patch notes and news (and real life was a good factor on it too).

But good luck o7

• Up for the translation

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its in the same spot on the table as russian and arabic.
    Probabely not happening but good luck on your request.

• Up for the translation

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Please use the forums search feature. Anet has already said that they will not be doing this.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭

Give it up, not going to happen as pointed out by Anet with links provided by other players.

• It would be nice, because even people who has a good grasp on english, can't read the stories, beucause of the very formal or shakesperian vocabulary, please tranlste to portuguese.

• @Vitru.7408 said:
    It would be nice, because even people who has a good grasp on english, can't read the stories, beucause of the very formal or shakesperian vocabulary, please tranlste to portuguese.

Most of the dialog in GW2 is pretty modern and hardly Shakespearean. You even come across some fairly modern slang, mostly American and maybe some British, but really, its hardly different from reading most modern English writing.

That said, I think Anet should reconsider their current stance on no further localization, from what I've observed the Brazilian community isn't small and could grow further if they had the game in their language in the Text at least.

Hate Is Fuel.

• Mouse.7382Mouse.7382 Member ✭✭✭

Denied. I want any and all able time/resources spent on xpac/balance/etc.

• Lucio.4190Lucio.4190 Member ✭✭✭

@Mouse.7382 said:

I don't have any insight, but will one exclude the other, except for financially?
    I imagine that recording all audio files in a new language shouldn't load the developers other than adding a new language and link. The voice actors might cause an additional cost though. Is there something else that I haven't thought about?

@Lucio.4190 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:

I don't have any insight, but will one exclude the other, except for financially?
    I imagine that recording all audio files in a new language shouldn't load the developers other than adding a new language and link. The voice actors might cause an additional cost though. Is there something else that I haven't thought about?

New support staff as well.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lucio.4190 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:

the entire game till now needs that treatment, it would mean that they have to translate and record millions of lines just to get the core game ready.
    no seriously, it takes more resources to completely re-record and translate every single line than to add a new chapter.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Lucio.4190 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:

the entire game till now needs that treatment, it would mean that they have to translate and record millions of lines just to get the core game ready.
    no seriously, it takes more resources to completely re-record and translate every single line than to add a new chapter.

Yes, so far I'm with you. But that is a lot of time that will require voice actors, not developers.
    The developers working with balance and other coding shouldn't even be involved with that project.
    My only concern is if they have enough money to finance a new language and if that investment will payoff?

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lucio.4190 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Lucio.4190 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:

Yes, so far I'm with you. But that is a lot of time that will require voice actors, not developers.
    The developers working with balance and other coding shouldn't even be involved with that project.
    My only concern is if they have enough money to finance a new language and if that investment will payoff?

the developers need to cut it all, mix the sound for good quality, add them in the game on the right characters and time the voices just right.
    you're seriously underestimating the work needed to even add a single language.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• The Audio/Sound Team, the Narrative Team, the Localization Team, the Production Team all are working on the current game and the expansion; they would need to be pulled away to work on adding a new language to the current game and the expansion.

Not to mention the high cost and availability of voice actors providing hundreds, of not thousands, of hours of voice work.

It's very unlikely to happen.

• If it is to add portuguese add european portuguese, not brazilian :P

• Insert portuguese, please Arena Net, for the love of gods

• Crystal Paladin.3871Crystal Paladin.3871 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020

Translation / localization for gw2 ever growing content might be tedious...

Maybe there's a way to make English audio to subtitles with the help of add-ons?

Since there are multiple speech to text libs out there. Use the appropriate language / dialect package convert the audio to text and render them as subtitles...

Idk if such an add-on available for gw2 but just saying.. could be possible in the future if not available already... Being Optimistic :)

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

If it was WORTH it for Anet to do more translations, you bet it would be happening.

If you're on a highway and roadrunner goes "beep beep"
    Just step aside or you might end up in a heap

• Please we need a Portuguese translation either from Portugal or Brazilian.
    I love this game 😍😍😍

• @sorudo.9054 said:

@Lucio.4190 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:

It's not millions of lines. SWTOR is probably the MMORPG with the most spoken lines, and I'd guess it's around half a million lines by now - the hype train when it was getting ready to launch talked about 200,000 lines in fully voiced(1) conversations, etc. back then.

But there is lots more to it than just the main dialogue. Let's look at what would have to be translated:

• All the spoken lines (and then recorded in the new language).
    • All the names of items. Not such a problem for e.g. "Iron Sword", but an item like one in Allods Online might be a bit more of a problem: "Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language".
    • All the names of places, skills, crafting stuff, etc.
    • All the above for all new content. (Yes, there's an on-going cost imposed by adding a language.)

And of course jokes cannot be translated, but must be re-written. Example: The mini-golem mining pick tool thing makes (among other things) a groanish pun on the similarity between the sounds of "Orr" (place in the world) and "ore" (unrefined metal). In French, that wouldn't work, because "minérai" (ore) does not sound like "Orr". Instead, they rewrote the joke to play on "or" (gold) versus "Orr".

(1) "Fully voiced" is a contentious term. I've seen people claim that ESO is fully voiced, and yet I've never (outside of combat grunts and shrieks of pain as the character falls off cliffs) heard my character's voice in ESO. By "fully voiced", I mean where everyone in a conversation speaks, as in GW2 or SWTOR.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Doing my part, translate for us Arenanet

• I think such a request is pertinent, the Brazilian community has grown a lot in the game, locating for pt-br would help a lot to bring new players.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danilooliveira.8973 said:

I think such a request is pertinent

Pertinent is not the same as practical or even profitable.

the Brazilian community has grown a lot in the game, locating for pt-br would help a lot to bring new players.

You have marketing data to support this?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Please we need a Portuguese translation !!!!!!

• yoni.7015yoni.7015 Member ✭✭✭

They should rather spend the resources on something more important. Just play the game in English like most of us do.

• Sigmoid.7082Sigmoid.7082 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Dev response: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/444283/#Comment_444283

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

I don't understand how the thread is still going after this.

Already had the "it's not that hard" underestimate run around comments. As well as the huge confusion between need and want.

Now just missing the snide "I want it. The game needs it. It's such a good idea ... But Anet never do anything good" kind of snide comments.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Dev response: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/444283/#Comment_444283

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

I don't understand how the thread is still going after this.

Already had the "it's not that hard" underestimate run around comments. As well as the huge confusion between need and want.

Now just missing the snide "I want it. The game needs it. It's such a good idea ... But Anet never do anything good" kind of snide comments.

I guess I'm one of those underestimating the job.
    I said it's not hard, but I also said that it's very time consuming. Two different things and I believe both applies here. They will need to hire translators for the project and counting in the time and all the voices, that would cost a lot of money which probably is the most important reason it will never be done.

Please, don't misinterpret my point. I think the chances of a new language are very slim, close to nonexisting.
    Only thing I can see is if someone can guarantee money back on all costs for the project and future maintenance and changes in relation to the new language. I don't believe that will happen.

• marielleberto.3865marielleberto.3865 Member
    edited January 13, 2021

@kharmin.7683 said:

@marielleberto.3865 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Moonkane.6789 said:
    Please we need a Portuguese translation !!!!!!

No, you want it. We don't need it.

@Peter.3901 said:
    For the most toxic community? please no.

@StarPT.7431 said:
    If it is to add portuguese add european portuguese, not brazilian :P

Wow, lots of xenophobia going on here, huh?

There is nothing xenophobic in my post. Please do not claim me as such. Please edit your post.

I would, except that you came to a post written by a Brazilian to criticize what a Brazilian is requesting for the sake of the Brazilian community. I mean, this is like trying to tell what people from another community, other than yours, need based on what your community needs. If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic. And to be honest, I am Brazilian, I have zero problems playing the game in English and I still DISAGREE that we should get things translated. Not because the rest of the Brazilian community doesn't need it, but because I understand it might not be "profitable" or "practical" as you mentioned before. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but you could have been more careful with your words towards other nationalities.

• marielleberto.3865marielleberto.3865 Member
    edited January 14, 2021

Ok, bud! You stay inside your little box, I'll do the same! All the best!

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.

First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may think they are, but in the end they speak only for themselves. Second, there's a massive difference between want and need. Many (although, i am sure, not all) Brazilians playing this game may indeed want the portugese translation, but i doubt most actually need it. And if they do, they are unlikely to post on the forums about it. In english.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• @Astralporing.1957 said:

If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.

First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may think they are, but in the end they speak only for themselves. Second, there's a massive difference between want and need. Many (although, i am sure, not all) Brazilians playing this game may indeed want the portugese translation, but i doubt most actually need it. And if they do, they are unlikely to post on the forums about it. In english.

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.

Hey why not use google translate to translate each line of the story then?

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh, please. Out of all the arguments you responded only to the least relevant. So, i guess all the others were spot on.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.