Glider not working, I own Heart of Thorns DLC.

As stated in the title my glider is not working for some reason. I have tried to deploy it while falling in many areas, many times over. And I can confirm that I own the Heart of Thorns DLC. I also remember doing the questline for the glider. However it has be aprox 3-4 years since I've last played the game. So my memory of what I've actually done/not done may be a bit hazy. Can someone help with this please? Or let me know how to figure out if I did the needed quests. Thanks a bunch!

@Zindith.1370 said:As stated in the title my glider is not working for some reason. I have tried to deploy it while falling in many areas, many times over. And I can confirm that I own the Heart of Thorns DLC. I also remember doing the questline for the glider. However it has be aprox 3-4 years since I've last played the game. So my memory of what I've actually done/not done may be a bit hazy. Can someone help with this please? Or let me know how to figure out if I did the needed quests. Thanks a bunch!

You need to earn exp in heart of thorns maps and train glider mastery most likely.

@Zindith.1370 said:May I ask where do I go to start earning the necessary Experience and/or train my glider mastery up?

Experience comes from doing anything that gives experience in Heart of Thorns maps (core maps only give mastery xp for core masteries) - events are usually the best, but killing mobs, adventures, story all give xp. - same as you would when levellingOnce the bar is full, you need mastery points to unlock. You can get those from various mastery point unlocks on the Heart of Thorns map or various heart of Thorns achievements

Click on your xp bar to pull up the mastery menu (out of combat) or go into the hero panel. Make sure you are training on gliding mastery. Once the bar is full, it will allow you to unlock the skill if you have the mastery points to spend on the right hand side

Does this need to be done a level 80 character? Because on my level 44 Guardian it says masteries are locked. Cause when I go into the Mastery page it says I have 4 Mastery for Central Tyria, and 0 for Heart of Thorns. I also do not see Glider training anywhere in my hero tab. Still so new to all of this and taking a 4 year break doesn't help either.....

@Zindith.1370 said:Does this need to be done a level 80 character? Because on my level 44 Guardian it says masteries are locked. Cause when I go into the Mastery page it says I have 4 Mastery for Central Tyria, and 0 for Heart of Thorns. I also do not see Glider training anywhere in my hero tab. Still so new to all of this and taking a 4 year break doesn't help either.....

Gliding is account wide, so once you have learned it, all your toons can glide no matter of level. But to learn gliding, you need to go to HoT maps (Verdant Brink and so on) to gain both HoT mastery points and XP for mastery, and those maps are level 80 maps. I am not entirely sure if it is mandatory to do the first HoT quest, but at least that opens you access to Verdant Brink.

@"Zindith.1370" said:Does this need to be done a level 80 character? Because on my level 44 Guardian it says masteries are locked. Cause when I go into the Mastery page it says I have 4 Mastery for Central Tyria, and 0 for Heart of Thorns. I also do not see Glider training anywhere in my hero tab. Still so new to all of this and taking a 4 year break doesn't help either.....

For your very first character on your account:

1. Reach level 80.
  2. Start HoT story (completion of Torn from the Sky is required to unlock the Gliding mastery track)
  3. Obtain a mastery point and the required experience as mentioned above to master the first mastery in the track, "Glider Basics."

Note: After successful completion, all future characters will be able to glide as soon as they step out of the tutorial and into the world of Tyria! Masteries are shared across all characters on your account.

@Zindith.1370 said:Does this need to be done a level 80 character? Because on my level 44 Guardian it says masteries are locked. Cause when I go into the Mastery page it says I have 4 Mastery for Central Tyria, and 0 for Heart of Thorns. I also do not see Glider training anywhere in my hero tab. Still so new to all of this and taking a 4 year break doesn't help either.....

So there is no wonder you cant glide mate, you havent done the level 80 mission thats required to unlock it nor exped mastery up in expansion maps.

I have a level 80, but like I said before it's been about 4 years since I've played. So now that I know it's a level 80 story line, I can onto my level 80 and start unlocking the glider. Thanks again for all the help and patience in dealing with me! Now that I know what to do, I should be able to do it! Thanks again everyone!

Mastery xp is post-level 80 yes.

Even if your level 80 is earning Heart of Thorns, Core Mastery, Path of Fire or ICebrood Saga mastery xp, any pre-level 80 alt can only normal xp for levelling. After lvl 80, that toon will then share the mastery xp bar with other level 80 toons on your account

Once the mastery skill eg gliding, mounts are unlocked by a level 80, they can be used by any level toon on your account. It is the earning that is restricted rather than the use

Remember to have a look at the map for Hero Challenges (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_challenge) and Mastery Insights (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Mastery_icons).There are also some Achievements you can complete, by killing a certain Champion or maybe succeeding a mission. You can find all Achievements for your Hero by pressing H, then select the Achievements tab (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Hero_panel_achievements.jpg). Select Heart of Thorns and then the name of the map, where you currently are. You'll find all Achievements for that map.The Achievements that has the sun icon (Mastery Insights) will give you the Mastery Skill Points you need to unlock the Mastery Skill (in this case, the Gliding).

@AHITCZ.5694 summarized it nicely, that's exactly what you need to do. On your way to Level 80, gather lots of Mastery Skill Points and try to unlock the Gliding skills, at least the Advanced Gliding will be needed and you'll be very greatful to have it when you reach Verdant Brink. That will take you through the whole map with the glider using the updrafts and spare you some frustration.To complete the story, you'll probably also need to unlock some other Masteries as well, such as the Exalted, Itzel and Nuhoch tracks.

I hope this will give you a push back on track. Welcome back to Tyria, Commander! A lot has changed and the world is once again in dire need of a hero.