Thoughts on was to improve MH Mace

Shroud.2307

While discussing it with a friend today, he made a suggestion that I really liked.Give Counterblow a flip over skill instead of the attack being automatic. Similar to Thief Sword 2, Infiltraitor Strike, or Ranger GS 4 Counter Attack. After you block an attack you gain access to an attack for a few seconds.Landing the attack should reduce the recharge of Mace skill 3.And Mace skill 3 should apply Vulnerability when interrupting a skill.Lastly, the range on Skull Crack should be 170 because it is far too easy to negate. With all the Stability and Stunbreaks in the game, it isn't as punishing as it used to be, so it should at least have a little more reach.

I would love for Mace to get some reasonable buffs, it is by far and long my favorite Warrior weapon kit, but it just doesn't feel rewarding to use anymore. Skull Crack can still be a devastating skill, but requires a great deal more skill to capitalize on than it used to.

What are your thoughts on Mace and ways it could be improved?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that has been discussed in the Omnibus thread, for both this and Riposte.

I don't think that Counter Blow should reduce Mace 3 CD though.

Mace 3 applying Vulnerability on interrupt is a nice touch though.

Scull Crack having a small leap has been mentioned several times on numerous threads.

Beyond that Mace 4 needs to be 1/4s cast with how they changed it and Tremor needs to be a frontal cone AoE instead of a projectile.

@Tycura.1982 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Scull Crack having a small leap has been mentioned several times on numerous threads.

Yep came here to say just that.

Make it a daze and give it damage back while they're at it. Instant viability.

Skull Grinder is such a beastly skill. Shame it's on berserker.

Lmao fr. Cause rn the only use I find for mace is an extra block for my support sbp. Other than that the dmg is to laugh at. Berserker kinda compensates with the skill, but yeah...it's berserker lol.

@Shroud.2307 said:While discussing it with a friend today, he made a suggestion that I really liked.Give Counterblow a flip over skill instead of the attack being automatic. Similar to Thief Sword 2, Infiltraitor Strike, or Ranger GS 4 Counter Attack. After you block an attack you gain access to an attack for a few seconds.Landing the attack should reduce the recharge of Mace skill 3.And Mace skill 3 should apply Vulnerability when interrupting a skill.Lastly, the range on Skull Crack should be 170 because it is far too easy to negate. With all the Stability and Stunbreaks in the game, it isn't as punishing as it used to be, so it should at least have a little more reach.

I would love for Mace to get some reasonable buffs, it is by far and long my favorite Warrior weapon kit, but it just doesn't feel rewarding to use anymore. Skull Crack can still be a devastating skill, but requires a great deal more skill to capitalize on than it used to.

What are your thoughts on Mace and ways it could be improved?

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:This is something that has been discussed in the Omnibus thread, for both this and Riposte.

Exactly this try to seek Lan's Warrior omnibus and post it there, I also suggest the AA chain should be faster, it's currently slower than 2H hammer, funny right I thought 1 Hand should having some advantage in AA speed.

I would actually like to see the Mace 2 proc a small aoe heal at 180 radius, maybe like a sigil of water type effect.

Then you may have a MH weapon to pair with Horn for a small amount of support. There is no other way to make a good elite spec without having an existing MH weapon that has at least 1 skill with some support on it...

@Opopanax.1803 said:I would actually like to see the Mace 2 proc a small aoe heal at 180 radius, maybe like a sigil of water type effect.Too guardian flavored for me.Then you may have a MH weapon to pair with Horn for a small amount of support. There is no other way to make a good elite spec without having an existing MH weapon that has at least 1 skill with some support on it...Which is why some people have been asking for Pistol/Pistol instead of staff for the next e-spec. The support can come from the new mechanic, utilities, traits, or old school blast finishers. My take on it is elemental cartridges that leave fields behind with which to blast with blast finishers augmented via the traitline.

@Opopanax.1803 said:The problem with even pistol pistol is that you will still lack a complete second support weapon spec.

Depends on how the weapon bar is made. Dropping fields and blasting them can still blast healing, condi cleanse, weakness, and blinds. Depends entirely on how Anet makes the weapon set. You can also have a trait that caused blast finishers to grant barrier. Shove a short CD blast finisher on pistol 2, a field on pistol 3, 4, 5 and F1. Put other fields onto utilities and there you have workable support.

lol i've said flip over skills for warrior since 2013, no joke.

dagger is just better mace, no joke, good CC on top of good mobility, good damage and removes stab and daze gives immob.why would you play mace that barely does any damage, hard to land CC, one hit block

and if mace is better, why would you play dagger, lol

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Serious damage huh? Are talking more damage per tier of adrenaline or same base damage with longer dazes per adrenaline bar?

Daze duration probably.Mace should not lose its function as a CC weapon for PvE Breakbar purposes.

As much as I like it to be scaling damage, idk about having high burst damage on a predominantly CC tool.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Serious damage huh? Are talking more damage per tier of adrenaline or same base damage with longer dazes per adrenaline bar?

Daze duration probably.Mace should not lose its function as a CC weapon for PvE Breakbar purposes.

As much as I like it to be scaling damage, idk about having high burst damage on a predominantly CC tool.

Then what is serious damage in your mind? equivalent to a T1 Eviscerate, T2 Eviserate, Arcing Slice above 50% HP?

Honestly if the AA chain were faster and Counterblow had a flipover to use as an attack rather than waiting to be attacked then Mace MH would be in a better place. Whether or nor F1 or Mace3 stun or daze is besides the point in my opinion.

Other ways to improve it would be to let pommel bash, counterblow, and skull crack cleave.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Then what is serious damage in your mind? equivalent to a T1 Eviscerate, T2 Eviserate, Arcing Slice above 50% HP?

Honestly if the AA chain were faster and Counterblow had a flipover to use as an attack rather than waiting to be attacked then Mace MH would be in a better place. Whether or nor F1 or Mace3 stun or daze is besides the point in my opinion.

Other ways to improve it would be to let pommel bash, counterblow, and skull crack cleave.

I'm thinking more of a Arcing Slice style AoE damage + CC tbh.Level 1 : Damage + 0.5 DazeLevel 2 : Damage + 1s DazeLevel 3 : Damage + small knockback and 1s DazeWill that be too strong?

If this were Mace MH, I would run this more in zerg combat on Frontline Warrior.

As for Counterblow : I would just get rid of the block.It makes no sense for a "heavy handed" weapon like Mace to Riposte anything, as suggested by how the skill is designed.

I wouldn't mind more cleave on Mace, so I wouldn't mind if they just got rid of the Riposte-style counter blow on Mace 2 and just made it like, a 300 range leap attack with small cleave.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Then what is serious damage in your mind? equivalent to a T1 Eviscerate, T2 Eviserate, Arcing Slice above 50% HP?

I'm thinking more of a Arcing Slice style AoE damage + CC tbh.Level 1 : Damage + 0.5 DazeLevel 2 : Damage + 1s DazeLevel 3 : Damage + small knockback and 1s DazeWill that be too strong?The knockback would be too much. A 1s, 2s, 3s daze would work best, particularly if its in an AoE with damage. I say not as an AoE, but let it cleave. AoE CC is Hammer's thing, not MH Mace.If this were Mace MH, I would run this more in zerg combat on Frontline Warrior.

As for Counterblow : I would just get rid of the block.It makes no sense for a "heavy handed" weapon like Mace to Riposte anything, as suggested by how the skill is designed.Then it would have to do something if the foe is attacking. Like x2 damage, or a 0.25s daze. I'd prefer the x2 damage, along with cleave.I wouldn't mind more cleave on Mace, so I wouldn't mind if they just got rid of the Riposte-style counter blow on Mace 2 and just made it like, a 300 range leap attack with small cleave.

Not sure if the 300 range leap would make sense there, on Skull Crack sure though.

Problem with separating the skill is that if the block stays active the combination of mace 2 + shield 5 gives too long of a blocking duration for both PvP and WvW. That would only lead to further nerfs down the line. If you meant that it will only block once then the other skill pops for activation then it should be alright

• 2 weeks later...

@Strider.7849 said:Problem with separating the skill is that if the block stays active the combination of mace 2 + shield 5 gives too long of a blocking duration for both PvP and WvW. That would only lead to further nerfs down the line. If you meant that it will only block once then the other skill pops for activation then it should be alrightShort block for a second equal to basically a dodge skill on other classes would not be that bad it would end up in 4 seconds of block. Warrior lacks a defensive main hand weapon that would allow the use of off hands other then shield, not single main hand has a dodge on it and only the mace has some kind of terrible counter attack. Mace is really lacking and it is not fulfilling it purpose of reliable defensive main hand option. Why does warrior have so many options that don't do anything ?

• 2 months later...

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@lovemghool.7613 said:Dagger has what mace needs; mobility and utility and a burst skill that doesnt deal 0 damage to a single target. I have long since given up on it.

Yeah... That said though Mace F1 T3 burst is a long stun. So at least there is that going for it.

1 second on spellbreaker, lol

like dagger 3 is a way better version of mace 3 with same cooldown,and i would argue slow is better then single hit block and counterattack does less damage then dagger 2 in pvp split, on top of dagger 2 being a leap while counter attack barely ever hitand the saddest part is the autoattack chain, mace AA is slightly higher then dagger, with double the cast time, lol, seriously don't know whats the point of mace

maybe there's no role for mace in pvp, i think these weapons are too simple mechanically wise and anet doesnt bother to change them, they just power creep them to death, like axe just damage and has nothing interesting at all, just brainlessly hoard all damage in all axe skills for NPC which doesnt move, just gonna press 12345 to an immobile NPC, because anything else barely get hit.same for mace, just hoard all CC and nothing else.

this is probably the solution they got after 8 years