Bring Back Support For Guild Wars 1

Guild Wars 1 player base still thrives after well over a decade, but without proper support from devs the game slips further and further each day. Pvp nerfed elite skills are worse than regular skills (for example Savannah Heat vs Searing Heat). Scams/hacking still persist but with no one to help. There is no reliable way to pack back Arena Net monetarily for the enjoyment we get out of the game (which is important if we want support/for it to keep running) The community needs support. Please comment here to show your support for Guild Wars 1 and to show Arena Net that it needs to be revived.

Both games should be supported, at least when you have an issue they help in gw2. They do nothing in guild wars 1 to help players in anyway. If you want the servers up and the game running so people buy it then you should respect the still very active player base by supporting it for hacking, botting, etc. It is not "backwards" thinking to want a company to support a game when the servers are still up and you have tons of people still playing. I am not saying do not support guild wars 2, just dont forget about the loyal players that have supported them for 15 almost 16 years. We buy storage panes, bring friends to buy the game. Anet could easily profit from both gw1 and gw2 if they made the effort and supported both games fully like everyone seems to want. The way you change things is by speaking up, if you stay silent things will continue down the same path or potentially get even worse. This thread is for those in support of this idea and who want to show it.

@"Eric The Dangerous.6209" said:Both games should be supported, at least when you have an issue they help in gw2. They do nothing in guild wars 1 to help players in anyway. If you want the servers up and the game running so people buy it then you should respect the still very active player base by supporting it for hacking, botting, etc. It is not "backwards" thinking to want a company to support a game when the servers are still up and you have tons of people still playing. I am not saying do not support guild wars 2, just dont forget about the loyal players that have supported them for 15 almost 16 years. We buy storage panes, bring friends to buy the game. Anet could easily profit from both gw1 and gw2 if they made the effort and supported both games fully like everyone seems to want. The way you change things is by speaking up, if you stay silent things will continue down the same path or potentially get even worse. This thread is for those in support of this idea and who want to show it.

You can play the whole game solo with your heroes right?So what do it matter if other people hack or bot that game?

@"Eric The Dangerous.6209" said:Both games should be supported, at least when you have an issue they help in gw2. They do nothing in guild wars 1 to help players in anyway. If you want the servers up and the game running so people buy it then you should respect the still very active player base by supporting it for hacking, botting, etc. It is not "backwards" thinking to want a company to support a game when the servers are still up and you have tons of people still playing. I am not saying do not support guild wars 2, just dont forget about the loyal players that have supported them for 15 almost 16 years. We buy storage panes, bring friends to buy the game. Anet could easily profit from both gw1 and gw2 if they made the effort and supported both games fully like everyone seems to want. The way you change things is by speaking up, if you stay silent things will continue down the same path or potentially get even worse. This thread is for those in support of this idea and who want to show it.

How much money have you spent on GW1 in the last 10 years? How much money do you thing GW1 has generated in the last 10 years?

The answers to those questions will give you the probability of more support or development for the game.

As is right now, GW1 continues to exist due to the good graces of Arenanet and NCSoft and the fact it costs very little to keep the servers running with nearly no additional support.

I am not against more development for GW1, on the contrary. In order for that to even remotely become a possibility, the question of how that money is going to return with interest needs to be answered. That's where I personally draw a blank for a 15 year old game which has existed thanks to cross funding of its newer brother for the majority of its life cycle.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

How much money have you spent on GW1 in the last 10 years? How much money do you thing GW1 has generated in the last 10 years?

The answers to those questions will give you the probability of more support or development for the game.

As is right now, GW1 continues to exist due to the good graces of Arenanet and NCSoft and the fact it costs very little to keep the servers running with nearly no additional support.

I am not against more development for GW1, on the contrary. In order for that to even remotely become a possibility, the question of how that money is going to return with interest needs to be answered. That's where I personally draw a blank for a 15 year old game which has existed thanks to cross funding of its newer brother for the majority of its life cycle.

I understand, but the could also add things to the game that players would be happy to purchase. Anyone who looks at the state of the game and thinks there isn't more quality of life additions you could add/monetizing that could be done you would have to be blind.

@Linken.6345 said:

You can play the whole game solo with your heroes right?So what do it matter if other people hack or bot that game?

You can, but pvp still thrives, speed clears still thrive, and the player base in general still thrives. Botters ruin the economy and pvp. It's also against gw1 tos to bot. The hacking has destroyed the game as a whole, I for example (among a handful of other players) won items specifically made for us by anet. Anet had a major backdoor in their security and tons of accounts were compromised including mine but also thousands of others. No guilds wars support means everyone hacked lost everything that was deleted whether that is the rarest items in the game or deleted characters that can't be restored. Imagine vanquishing every zone, working your butt off for every single title you have, just for your character of 5+ years to be deleted due to no fault of your own. Those people do not deserve to be forgotten, nor should they. No excuses.

@Eric The Dangerous.6209 said:

@Eric The Dangerous.6209 said:Both games should be supported, at least when you have an issue they help in gw2. They do nothing in guild wars 1 to help players in anyway. If you want the servers up and the game running so people buy it then you should respect the still very active player base by supporting it for hacking, botting, etc. It is not "backwards" thinking to want a company to support a game when the servers are still up and you have tons of people still playing. I am not saying do not support guild wars 2, just dont forget about the loyal players that have supported them for 15 almost 16 years. We buy storage panes, bring friends to buy the game. Anet could easily profit from both gw1 and gw2 if they made the effort and supported both games fully like everyone seems to want. The way you change things is by speaking up, if you stay silent things will continue down the same path or potentially get even worse. This thread is for those in support of this idea and who want to show it.

You can, but pvp still thrives, speed clears still thrive, and the player base in general still thrives. Botters ruin the economy and pvp. It's also against gw1 tos to bot. The hacking has destroyed the game as a whole, I for example (among a handful of other players) won items specifically made for us by anet. Anet had a major backdoor in their security and tons of accounts were compromised including mine but also thousands of others. No guilds wars support means everyone hacked lost everything that was deleted whether that is the rarest items in the game or deleted characters that can't be restored. Imagine vanquishing every zone, working your butt off for every single title you have, just for your character of 5+ years to be deleted due to no fault of your own. Those people do not deserve to be forgotten, nor should they. No excuses.

So anet cant even do account rollbacks on hacked gw1 accounts now?

Well - The cash shop in GW is still open. When they (Anet) accept purchases of costumes, missions, char slots, xunlai panes etc. they should be able to provide some sort of minimal support.Actual changes to GW, balance etc: OMG please dont! Before the last GW devs left we had some nice QOL features added. After that... The GW2 inspired elite skills were just a stupid mess.

@Halandir.3609 said:Well - The cash shop in GW is still open. When they (Anet) accept purchases of costumes, missions, char slots, xunlai panes etc. they should be able to provide some sort of minimal support.

This. People are still spending money on this game, myself included. As such Anet is still obligated to give us the minimum support in dealing with issues like scammers and hackers and other violations of the ToS that most of the existing player base still follows.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Eric The Dangerous.6209 said:Both games should be supported, at least when you have an issue they help in gw2. They do nothing in guild wars 1 to help players in anyway. If you want the servers up and the game running so people buy it then you should respect the still very active player base by supporting it for hacking, botting, etc. It is not "backwards" thinking to want a company to support a game when the servers are still up and you have tons of people still playing. I am not saying do not support guild wars 2, just dont forget about the loyal players that have supported them for 15 almost 16 years. We buy storage panes, bring friends to buy the game. Anet could easily profit from both gw1 and gw2 if they made the effort and supported both games fully like everyone seems to want. The way you change things is by speaking up, if you stay silent things will continue down the same path or potentially get even worse. This thread is for those in support of this idea and who want to show it.

So anet cant even do account rollbacks on hacked gw1 accounts now?

They won't. The key issue atm is they need to put more development behind helping with hacked accounts, reports of players cheating, and game breaking bugs etc. In 2018 they thought they fixed an issue with in-game lag but it still lags hard pretty frequently (tested amongst a large array of players). They can't/wont ever rollback an account. The current support team has been told to limit support to in-shop purchases and account recovery only. They will not help with anything in-game whatsoever. The whole thing just makes me sad to be honest but I am hoping if they see this it might change something.

I would be more than happy with just some minor updates that make martial heroes less subpar. Right now, martial heroes do too little damage compared to casters. This is on top of them having very little utility. Melee heroes, in particular, spend too much time wandering back and forth between targets, or getting body blocked and standing still doing nothing. Assassin heroes are even worse since they can rarely land a full lead-off-dual chain on the same target. I think making some PVE specific changes to some skills would make martial heroes more attractive for casual play, even if it doesn't include them in the meta.

I'm not a dev, but I think the following might be simple ways of buffing martial heroes without too much work, and without accidentally buffing PVE monsters much.

Monk

Strength of Honor: Make it so heroes don't cancel this. Right now, heroes constantly cancel this (sometimes DURING combat), losing valuable recharge time. Against enemies that constantly remove enchants, micro casting this repeatedly gets annoying.

Necromancer

Order of the Vampire and Order of Pain: Double the duration so that heroes will have an easier time keeping these buffs up.

Spiteful Spirit and Barbs: Reduce casting time. Heroes often start casting these when an enemy is almost dead. By the time the hero finishes casting, the enemy is dead with barely any ticks. DoT's, in general, are not too useful right now because of how fast things die.

Mark of Pain: Give better AI usage. For example, heroes should only cast this on targets with high HP and adjacent to other targets.

Paragon

Go for the Eyes: Make it last for 2 hits.

Anthem of Envy: Remove the HP requirement.

Anthem of Flame: Make it last for 2 hits.

Assassin

Palm Strike: Reduce recharge time to 4 seconds. This may allow Assassin heroes to more reliably land dual attacks.

Ranger

Barrage: Don't lose preparations.

Spirits: Lower casting time for PVE, just like Ritualist spirits. Because of how fast player groups move from one enemy group to another, spending 5 seconds to cast a spirit is completely useless.

Edited by BlueJin.4127

I'm not so sure that even during GW1's heyday that Anet would alter so many skill just to buff heroes, though I suppose they might have done the opposite a couple of times. I also don't think there is currently anyone at Anet could could improve the Heroes AI in order to make melee Heroes work better.
All I want is for them to crack down on scammers, botters, and hackers. There are still paying customers playing GW1, Anet does still have an obligation to provide a safe service for them.

These aren't just to buff heroes. All the skills I listed will have good effect on players, too. The Necromancer changes will make the builds more convenient to use for the players using said skills. Paragons and Rangers, for example, are in a pretty sad state without PVE skills. Buffing their regular skills will affect their effectiveness when used by players.

@kharmin.7683 said:If it does work out for you, then perhaps you can appeal to Microsoft to bring Windows XP back?

People like you should not troll post in forums unless you have something useful to say. You made it clear you disagree and thats fine but saying silly things like windows xp should come back vs a game people actually care about. Classic WoW, vanilla Runescape, I am sure the devs of these games made 0 money of their decision and I am also 100% sure that there was no community wanting these changes... oh wait. Please stop trying to compare apples to spoiled eggs, thanks.

I would love it if they came back to support the game by fixing spells and ai etc but at the moment the main concern I have is people getting hacked, items being scammed/stolen, characters being deleted, and botting destroying the economy. There are many skills that should be tweaked/reworked for pve and pvp that atm have either no use at all or such limited use that you can't make anything impactful with it in its current state.

@kharmin.7683 said:If it does work out for you, then perhaps you can appeal to Microsoft to bring Windows XP back?

Jokes aside that'd be great....in my line of work, there's some software I use that requires me to keep machines that have Windows XP in conjunction with our Win10 machines.

--

To address the OP, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I'm surprised GW1 is even still running. As you can/people apparently do still put money into the game, yes you should have access to support for issues, but I question why the game is still going when GW2 has been around as long as it has.

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

Jokes aside that'd be great....in my line of work, there's some software I use that requires me to keep machines that have Windows XP in conjunction with our Win10 machines.

--

To address the OP, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I'm surprised GW1 is even still running. As you can/people apparently do still put money into the game, yes you should have access to support for issues, but I question why the game is still going when GW2 has been around as long as it has.

Simply put, because a lot of people still like it and play it. There is a demand for it and Arenanet has said that they'd keep it up as long as people played it, and my understanding is that it doesn't really cost much to leave it open.

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

--

Its all about the money Lebowski... They make tons from xunlai storage panes and character slots. The game still has a huge player base (in pve, pvp, and pre-searing pve) It's sad that they let hackers run rough shot. A lot of players got either perma-banned due to their accounts being hacked then committing malicious activities while under the control of another party or had items lost that were irreplaceable lost (mini kanaxai, mini panda, or everlasting henchman tonic). What really chaps my rump is the fact that most of this happened in the great security breach of 2010-ish where someone found a backdoor to anets security. It's not like these players did anything to compromise their accounts. People would love to see new events or things added to pre-searing/post-searing and even skills tweaked but at the moment I'd just be happy to see ban accounts, deleted characters, and lost items fixed so that players feel like anet still care about them.