Commander tips — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Commander tips

hihey.1075hihey.1075 Member ✭✭

Hi all!

I am a returning GW2 player from pre-HoT. I used to command a bit every now and then back at the time, and would like to take it up again. However, the game has evolved a lot and would like some starting tips :)

For starting, which is the most suited build/class for leading/commanding? What are the things that must absolutely be known when commanding?

I'm still left at the old "pirateship" meta, with Guardians in full Sentinel/Nomad with GS/Staff + "Worker" Warriors composing the Frontline, and Staff Eles + Well Necros as backliners; with the usual Mesmer for reflect or portal bomb.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Its still guardians except now they're even more bunker with minstrels and even better at it as firebrands.

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

  • Gwaihir.1745Gwaihir.1745 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Hes leaving out the part where fb's are becoming semi rare in wvw because well theyre kitten to play, even amongst commanding players.

    Shield of Wrath: Reduced the cooldown of this skill from 36 seconds to 35 seconds.

    Quality balance changes^TM

  • anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Gwaihir.1745 said:
    Hes leaving out the part where fb's are becoming semi rare in wvw because well theyre kitten to play, even amongst commanding players.

    Kids don't want to play FB because of bags, support does not give them. It wasn't a problem with Druid because nobody wanted rangers anyway but now is a problem. And all that while FB at least is able to do some tagging.

  • hihey.1075hihey.1075 Member ✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021

    Thanks for the input!
    So Guardian (Firebrand) is still the way to go it seems. Is this build the "meta" one: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Firebrand_-_Support_Firebrand
    ?
    Also, any recommendation as to what to call/avoid (again, I am left to the "Stab" "Water" "Bomb") :)

  • The build looks correct.

    I would recommend to follow a commander a bit first. Your commands still sound correct but they became a bit more sophisticated these days (small stab, big stab,...). Easiest as I said if you follow a commander and you will soon hear the commands.

  • @hihey.1075 said:
    Hi all!

    I am a returning GW2 player from pre-HoT. I used to command a bit every now and then back at the time, and would like to take it up again. However, the game has evolved a lot and would like some starting tips :)

    For starting, which is the most suited build/class for leading/commanding? What are the things that must absolutely be known when commanding?

    I'm still left at the old "pirateship" meta, with Guardians in full Sentinel/Nomad with GS/Staff + "Worker" Warriors composing the Frontline, and Staff Eles + Well Necros as backliners; with the usual Mesmer for reflect or portal bomb.

    Any input is appreciated, thanks!

    Hey bud! Welcome back.

    I don’t know which server you are on but you are more than welcome to hop on my guild’s discord server and we can chat. I came back to the game ~2 months ago (quit during hammer train meta).

    As a pin, there are couple of options your choice depends on the group you are running with, your comfort level with the class and what you are up against. My top there choices are:

    FB
    Chrono
    Warrior

    Personally, I prefer my chrono in most of situations. Hope you enjoy all of the changes! Cheers,

    Follow

  • hihey.1075hihey.1075 Member ✭✭

    @gloflop.3510 said:
    The build looks correct.

    I would recommend to follow a commander a bit first. Your commands still sound correct but they became a bit more sophisticated these days (small stab, big stab,...). Easiest as I said if you follow a commander and you will soon hear the commands.

    Thanks! I was actually going to do this already, but I wanted some additional input from other players because I still do not even know who are the "good" commanders now.
    Plus, my server (Desolation, EU) is currently linked with Arborstone (FR) and most open pug commanders are French and, well... I don't speak French all that well :)

    @GameTheory.8059 said:

    Hey bud! Welcome back.

    I don’t know which server you are on but you are more than welcome to hop on my guild’s discord server and we can chat. I came back to the game ~2 months ago (quit during hammer train meta).

    As a pin, there are couple of options your choice depends on the group you are running with, your comfort level with the class and what you are up against. My top there choices are:

    FB
    Chrono
    Warrior

    Personally, I prefer my chrono in most of situations. Hope you enjoy all of the changes! Cheers,

    Follow

    Hi! Thank you for the proposal! However, I inspected your post-history and it looks like you're in NA, so I regretfully cannot join you!

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Gwaihir.1745 said:
    Hes leaving out the part where fb's are becoming semi rare in wvw because well theyre kitten to play, even amongst commanding players.

    Poor things lost the lootstick.

    The world weeps for the guardian.

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"