[Expansion #3 and beyond] What's the next expansion seller for you? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Expansion #3 and beyond] What's the next expansion seller for you?

Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Simple question: What's the next expansion seller for you?

Note that recurrent content is not considered for this thread. I'm assuming new elite specializations, new raids, new fractals, new PvP maps, etc, will keep being included with every expansion. The topic of the discussion is new stuff that we don't expect, and that will be featured as the new big shiny, the expansion seller. Previous expansion sellers for reference:

• Heart of Thorns: Revenant, Gliding, Elite Specializations, Scribe, Raids, Stronghold, Guild Halls.
  • Path of Fire: Elite Specializations, Mounts, Elona.

Poll options elaborated:

• New Playable Race: Including a new Personal Story, a new capital city, and new starting zones.
  • New Profession: Including its own new elite specializations.
  • New terrestrial Weapon types: Unlocked by default for some core professions, or through elite specializations.
  • Intricate Minigame: Complex enough to be a game inside a game.
  • Player Housing: Replacement for home instances, includes activities like growing your own farm, feeding livestock, and more.
  • Return of Dungeons: The classic 5-man instanced PvE content, with new weapon and armor rewards.
  • Return of Hardcore World Bosses: With tools to organize them properly, and instancing options.
  • New Player versus Environment instanced mode: Either 5-man or 10-man, including meta-events and special mechanics, like permanent death.
  • New Player versus Player instanced mode: Guild vs Guild could include new Guild Halls, specially adapted for siege battles.
  • Other: See below for some ideas.

Discarded poll options:

• New Crafting Disciplines (Fisherman, Shepherd, Toymaker, etc)
  • Return of iconic GW1 locations (Cantha, Depths of Tyria, etc)
  • Upgrades to core Professions (Reworked mechanics, new core weapons, new core healing and elite slot skills, etc)
  • Upgrades to core open world (Reworked new player experience, integration of gliding and mounts, new core masteries, etc)
  • Upgrades to underwater gameplay (Reworked underwater combat, terrestrial skills adaptation, etc)
  • Upgrades to Crafting Disciplines (Level 500 for Chef, Jeweler, and Scribe, miniature crafting, etc)
  • Upgrades to Guilds (Deeper Guild Banner customization, new Guild Mission types, Guild Mission integration with adventures and hero points, etc)
  • Upgrades to gliding and mounts (New gliding abilities, glider races, new mounts, reworked mount races, etc)
  • Improved build management (Build Templates, Equipment Tabs, etc)
  • Improved aesthetic options (Dye channels for Weapons and Back Items, Aura and Tonic wardrobe, saving skin combinations as custom Outfits, etc)
  • Player versus Player situations in Player versus Environment open world (Dueling, Monster Roleplaying, Gladiator Arena, etc)
  • Vehicles (Ships, Airships, Tanks, Submarines, etc, with multi-passenger options)

Cast your votes! =)

[Expansion #3 and beyond] What's the next expansion seller for you? 607 votes

New Playable Race (Tengu, Largos, Stone Dwarf, etc)
20%
PlaviGmaz.2978Allarius.5670Ghostrunner.4728Murke.7193Rauderi.8706Ashamir.9574Crypto.7609Ravij.9856Shampanix.3928Bast Bow.2958Zacchary.6183Seiken.3176lothefallen.7081crosknight.3041Esterie.7409Wizler.8192DBZVelena.5186Raynoke.1247Akayashi.9086Kapax.3801 126 votes
New Profession (Monk, Ritualist, Dervish, etc)
12%
Aomine.5012TheSlothArmada.6709godfat.2604MoZsteR.7329Riselight.3695Nikal.4921Yid.3024Ashantara.8731Devilman.1532Asum.4960Ruju.7983Mareque.1273Mini Crinny.6190Zaraki.5784Sylent.3165Panda.1967Rhanoa.3960sayoc.4678Nborn.6947yoni.7015 77 votes
New terrestrial Weapon types (Greataxe, Scythe, Crossbow, Spear, etc)
11%
Michiel.3608novaspire.9801meeflak.9714OumaShu.4502Orpheal.8263ThePlayMaker.1058Glider.5792Zephyria.6103Sodeni.6041Curunen.8729AlcatrazXIII.8532zealex.9410pah.4931Yagudo.6759Forty Keks.9620Tarrek.7436Zanjii.8214Fay the Dark.2854Skyrum.5483XxsdgxX.8109 72 votes
Intricate Minigame (Miniature Battles, Trading Card Game, Fishing, etc)
1%
Randulf.7614Ardenwolfe.8590LyricDawnhagen.7803Anna.7845kamykaze.5904high.9463Bod.8261thesilverdragoon.3078Lilandria.7805WarpedBob.4157Lavith.8930 11 votes
Player Housing (Like personal miniature Guild Halls)
17%
WhatLiesBeneath.9018nottsgman.8206BeeFrost.5672Beorn Raukar.4328fwuffyness.3158Glaurung.1076Fenom.9457SilverWolfAkira.1024NagayaX.1904buzzkiller.1976Abelisk.4527blambidy.3216strangercandy.5249Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864mosser.7695Tandruill.1096Karmapolice.4193DietPepsi.4371kazerniel.6391Donari.5237 108 votes
Return of Dungeons (Like Ascalonian Catacombs, Citadel of Flame, etc)
8%
mazut.4296TheRandomGuy.7246Stitch.1794Jahroots.6791Sublimatio.6981Khailyn.6248skullmount.1758Einlanzer.1627Orry.1297SmirkDog.3160ZyniX.3589Iron.4372Ashen.2907FairyNuff.3452Fingolfin.8635Xstein.2187Jetshroom.5790Mysticjedi.6053Xanduin.5639Phyrene.2830 53 votes
Return of Hardcore World Bosses (Like Tequatl the Sunless and Triple Trouble)
3%
RaemSturm.7812hornswroggle.8023BunjiKugashira.9754TheWolf.1602Dragana.1497Aya.7503Anela.3867GoddessHrist.8472KTap.4381Brimstone.3807Fay.2735Timo.1065VaLee.5102Foghladha.2506Anhellbro.7210ionix.9054Camdal.6197AdrikRuk.1436kaiwolfy.8506 19 votes
New Player versus Environment instanced mode (Horde, Random Boss Gauntlet, Elite Mission, etc)
4%
OriOri.8724Sikil.9817Akeno.4962Schewe.1673Demeth.5816Turin.6921Lonami.2987folk.8190Witch of Doom.5739Westenev.5289Glirox.8157DreamyAbaddon.3265Diswan.8156ProtoGunner.4953Dadnir.5038Inc.4753Chay.7852ananda.5946eUnD.3156fluffdragon.1523 25 votes
New Player versus Player instanced mode (Guild vs Guild, King of the Hill, Capture the Flag, Battle Royale, etc)
3%
Preminger.2380Dahkeus.8243Sunshine.5014Hevoskuuri.3891Kako.1930TheBravery.9615Wanze.8410Whitworth.7259Airdive.2613Avador.8934Vherak.5276Instinct.9827Raiden The Beast.3016Trini Woo.7519Chilli.2976thatrobotguy.3690Xillllix.3485Phil.7369Tails.9372nissart.6195 22 votes
Other (See above for ideas)
15%
maddoctor.2738ReaverKane.7598Astralporing.1957Endless Soul.5178Horiksson.3410Blaeys.3102Cynn.1659BobbyT.7192Arzurag.7506IndigoSundown.5419Svarty.8019Cuddy.6247Arden.7480DeanBB.4268Spurnshadow.3678MikeyGrey.2496MithranArkanere.8957Glox.5942Chicken Fro.6953Siniorica Sunmist.7218 94 votes
<13456

Comments

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ultimately it's housing for me but dungeons and races are close too. I mean the only difference (besides the specific features, which also vary between fractals) between fractals and dungeons is fractals aren't in the world and can be anything. That and an armor set (which is no problem if it's released with an expansion), so why not go farther in depth with the side story?

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• I was going to vote housing but I figured it would be hideously expensive to craft even minor stuff so I didn't vote as none of the choices appealed.

Be careful what you ask for. ANet might give it to you.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• I would probably vote Housing, as well, but only if acquiring items was something like how we acquire items/content for our Home Instances. Some fairly easy, some more difficult, some purchased with in-game/map currencies, some through the Gem Store, etc.

I might not mind fishing, as well...depends on how it was implemented. I'd also enjoy new lands/lands from Guild Wars, but I'm pretty sure those will come with any expansion, anyway.

• New Profession (Monk, Ritualist, Dervish, etc)

I voted for new Professions because I really like that sort of thing most. I also would enjoy new races, particularly if they come with new professions to go with them, and I would love player housing.

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭
    New Player versus Environment instanced mode (Horde, Random Boss Gauntlet, Elite Mission, etc)

I'm very surprised Player Housing is that popular. I didn't really expect that, and to think that I almost discarded that option!

@Celtic Lady.3729 said:
    I voted for new Professions because I really like that sort of thing most. I also would enjoy new races, particularly if they come with new professions to go with them, and I would love player housing.

I wouldn't mind at least one additional profession, though I'm not sure it's really going to happen. There's room for a monk/ritualist/dervish hybrid, for those themes aren't covered properly by anyone else. Revenant should have filled them in the first place to be fair, but legends overtaking slot skills kinda ruined any personal theme the profession could have had.

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    Multiple choice (like 3 choices per person) would have been great. :)

My no.1 choice was "New professions (Monk, Ritualist, etc.)", but I'd also like the return of dungeons, the introduction of build templates, the reintroduction of Personality, new playable races (centaurs, tengu), mini games like Polymock.

Forum limitations, I'm sorry. Might remake the poll using an outside system in the future, if I see there's interest.

• For me, personally, bard. Not to everyone's taste I'd agree but, selfishly speaking, it'd be a nostalgia trip.

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

Yeah, for me it would be Cantha and/or underwater expansion. I don't mind so much another new features or another race as much as those two. I feel like a new race will just lead to more of the same with a different face on it, something that already doesn't work for me in GW2 since they went "everything is account wide-yay".

I very much would like to see them improve on what they have already than rebuilding something entirely new and try to fit it onto the world. (Kinda like they did with mounts, even if they are awesome)

Something unexpected and less standard than the usual options.

• Nyel.1843Nyel.1843 Member ✭✭✭
    New Profession (Monk, Ritualist, Dervish, etc)

The best would be: new race that's got a special attachement to a new class as well. And on top of it at least 2 new weapons (or better 3, one two hand, one main hand and one off hand).

I'd "kill" for Ritualist profession but I fear it's not going to happen... could be difficult to introduce a new class with all the specializations because it would feel weird to have a new class with only 1 instead of 3 specs then. That's why I doubt we'll see new classes. I'd be happy with a Ritualist spec for Revenant or any other fitting class as well. If we're going to Cantha in the next expansion I think it's quite likely to have something like that (Ritualist spec, Ninja / Assassin spec etc.).

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Playable Race (Tengu, Largos, Stone Dwarf, etc)

I will shamelessly give up so many gems for burbs.

Though, a new "infinite dungeon" experience would be pretty nifty. Think like Diablo 3's rift dungeons. Increasingly more difficult enemies with jumps to magic/gold find as long as the party can keep up.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Player Housing (Like personal miniature Guild Halls)

If I had to pick a top choice for me. It's story. As long as you have that I will be here. You can have the best combat, mounts, maps but if I don't like it I'm gone. If they follow that part I don't think major things will make me leave unless there's many bugs or requires a crazy mount of internet to function. But features that will immediately want me to love the game more than others would be to update the game features compared to other MMOs. I love the game. But why no housing when many others do? Why it take few years to add mounts? Why no trading? Or 1v1 duel. If gw2 keeps adding those features I think many will stay. But if you have games cheaper than gw2 and gw2 doesn't offer they have to step up. Or arenanet will always get people coming and leaving.

• Naval combat.

Olympiad style 1v1 .

Areas in the sky.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Return of Dungeons (Like Ascalonian Catacombs, Citadel of Flame, etc)

Living World Season 1, because it still needs to happen
    Updates to underwater content/combat
    New weapon types
    New races with their own personal stories. They needn't be as complex as the original PS.

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, to me all of these are bad options. I don't really want any of them at all, I don't think they would add anything to the game.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

The first PoF leak (which turned out to be 100% correct) said housing was already done, they just decided to push it back to the next expansion. So, I guess that is the major selling point of expansion 3.

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• Other (See above for ideas)

I chose "Other" because none of the other voting options matter one wit to me. As to the suggested alternatives, I would hope that: Improved build management and Improved aesthetic options would not be gated behind expansion purchase. That leaves me with only Return of Iconic Locations as a preference. While Cantha would be good, and Depths of Tyria would be OK, the return of the Fissure of Woe and the Underworld would make an XPac for me. I'm still hoping that PoF includes an option to play in the Tomb of the Primeval Kings.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• New Player versus Environment instanced mode (Horde, Random Boss Gauntlet, Elite Mission, etc)

For me it's easily any form of PvE-Content, wether it's Raids/new Dungeons/any new kind of instanced group content or just more new (and well designed) maps. A new race would not change my gameplay experience, and a new class most likely not aswell. I'm not playing my twinks that much and the revenant proved me, that a new class most likely won't change my habits. So it breaks down to new content for my since-day-1-alltime-main.

• Terra.9506Terra.9506 Member ✭✭

I like to see new map with mechanic similar to Auric basin again where finish the quest also effect to the map temporary and benefit everyone in that area .

while it force everyone in that area work together but also left enough freedom for player who like to explore solo.

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭

@Flatley.1620 said:
    For me, personally, bard. Not to everyone's taste I'd agree but, selfishly speaking, it'd be a nostalgia trip.

I always imagined bard or something like it becoming a kit-based elite specialization for the mesmer. Maybe a Canthan opera theme.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:
    Yeah, for me it would be Cantha and/or underwater expansion. I don't mind so much another new features or another race as much as those two. I feel like a new race will just lead to more of the same with a different face on it, something that already doesn't work for me in GW2 since they went "everything is account wide-yay".

I very much would like to see them improve on what they have already than rebuilding something entirely new and try to fit it onto the world. (Kinda like they did with mounts, even if they are awesome)

Something unexpected and less standard than the usual options.

There aren't many options left, except vehicles (that would be the next step of gliders and mounts). Can't really think about any other new unique mechanic for traveling around the world.

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    I will shamelessly give up so many gems for burbs.

Though, a new "infinite dungeon" experience would be pretty nifty. Think like Diablo 3's rift dungeons. Increasingly more difficult enemies with jumps to magic/gold find as long as the party can keep up.

Procedural dungeons are the future. Even if you don't generate the terrain itself procedurally, you can close/open different rooms and get a similar result, where every run is different.

As far as content goes I'd like to see WvW maps improved/added, new PvP ranked modes such as 1v1 dueling, 3v3 DM, 5v5 DM, CTF, etc.

But at this point I'd be happy with core profession balancing, considering the amount of useless traits, skills, and weapons most professions have, combat bugfixes implemented, separate balancing for PvE and PvP, and improved UI customization on par with GW1.

• Nothing. Just keeping up with the Jonses'

• Archranis.2375Archranis.2375 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017

I would like to see Fractals return to being Fractals (as in mini-dungeons), and introduce an entirely separate line of PvE content for the "bridge to Raids" instead of using high-level fractals for that. Content specifically designed for 5-person groups with the customary Raid-like mechanics that was designed from the beginning to be a bridge to raids would be awesome. If these encounters could have a sliding scale for difficulty and complexity, it would truly be a way for people to work their way up to the "real" raids, bit by bit. Nightmare and Shattered Observatory have sufficiently complex mechanics that they are more like raids than dungeons, so in my opinion (and I know there are many who will disagree) they have fundamentally changed what fractals have always been. These encounters are great to have in the game, but smashing them into fractals has made fractals schizophrenic, imo.

I would also like to see some tweaks to home instances. First, let's please have alternatives to cats. Second, the scarcity of the home instance node drops has made them more or less useless to collect any more -- when it would take over 30 YEARS to recover the cost for a home instance node based on the TP cost for the node versus the cost for what it yields, what's the point? Maybe to sell BL Chest keys for the gamble to get one, perhaps? Other than farming home instance nodes, there's little point to go there. I would like to see overall expansion of the home instance concept to be something that is enticing for people to visit on a frequent basis, and bring their friends along.

The same thought for home instances I would apply to guild halls. There's nothing to actually do there -- once you pick up your tavern bonuses and farm the synthesizer nodes, it's kinda pointless (sure the portal is cool, but guilds have been meeting up for guild missions at major cities for years, the portal is a convenience, but doesn't fundamentally change anything). Decorating is a nice diversion from the norm, but it's very expensive, and once it's done, well....it's done. And in conjunction with this, I'd like to see some new guild missions.

I'd love to see some improvements in usability. For instance, more flexibility in the way we can configure the UI, particularly with respect to being able to change fonts and font sizes, icon sizes, more options to reposition chat/mini-map/etc. The sizing aspects would go a long way to helping those of us with 4k displays be able to see the screen so much more easily. Another big feature would be build templates. Hopefully these things could be deployed as part of a LW episode, and not require an entire new expansion pack.

Finally, I'd like to see a re-vamp of the things that are just time sinks. This is particularly noticeable when doing dailies. I'd like the entire concept of "contested waypoint" to be eliminated -- I'm going to get where I want to go eventually, so why do I have to waste time running there, and not know that where I wanted to originally go is unavailable, until I get ported somewhere else. Similar to that is the notion of locking adventures, map access, and hero points., etc. behind map meta events. Other than Dragon Stand, where the entire map is based around a single meta, having to wait 30 minutes for an adventure to become available is just annoying; to me, it doesn't add anything to the game and makes me just not want to even bother.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

For me, it really is about support for guilds in the form of missions and other ways we they can deepen and improve upon guild focused systems.

No new guild missions in the past 4.5 years is a real issue for me. They are the one big thing I will be looking for most between now and the next expansion.

• the only thing I'm interested in is more heal/utility/elite skills and to have useless traits buffed. since this is a discarded poll option I guess I cant vote for it :\

Te lazla otstra.
    nerf list

• New terrestrial Weapon types (Greataxe, Scythe, Crossbow, Spear, etc)

I think we're all ready for a new race or two. (I'd prefer two so we don't have 90% of population running around as one race during release). New weapon types like greataxe, flail, whips...would be just as appealing to me as a new race.

If expac 3 had new races and new weapon types....I'd be sold without needing to know more.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

You really should have a "None of the Above" option as there might be some people how there who would buy the expansion even if no new "shiny thing" was included, as in if it was just new content, elite specs and additional items that have already been introduced to the game were all that was included. Personally it doesn't matter to me whether there's new stuff or not, as long as they keep on the same pace with LW and expansions I'll be happy.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Player Housing (Like personal miniature Guild Halls)

like many others, player housing would be cool if it wasn't content that only elites could attain. Like a leveling system. The more work you put in the better it gets. Shack to house to mansion etc etc .... but I dont see how something so coveted will be cheap or easy for most of the community who just like a goal to work towards at their own pace ya know? I was so freakin excited for guild halls for this reason. For some reason I thought of them as more of a "club house" where guilds could actually sit and chat or have activiites to do as a group .... with what they currently are ... I dont get why they are so grindy for little payoff .... maybe add rooms to them that players can claim as thier own? IDK ..... seems disapointing so I would like player housing if its ever a thing to be affordable, obtainable, customizable, and interactive.

When life knocks you down ... Rollover and look at the Stars

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

I hope you do not have any new elites specializations. "Any 1 can be anything" is destroying the identity of the professions.

What we need is a big boost to UI(here and here a few examples), and Pvp.

Enhance player housing.

"It's a testament to the folly of the humans and their gods. They say Arah was sacred, but all I see is one big dragon nest."(Rytlock Brimstone)

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lonami.2987 said:
    I'm very surprised Player Housing is that popular. I didn't really expect that, and to think that I almost discarded that option!

@Celtic Lady.3729 said:

I wouldn't mind at least one additional profession, though I'm not sure it's really going to happen. There's room for a monk/ritualist/dervish hybrid, for those themes aren't covered properly by anyone else. Revenant should have filled them in the first place to be fair, but legends overtaking slot skills kinda ruined any personal theme the profession could have had.

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    Multiple choice (like 3 choices per person) would have been great. :)

My no.1 choice was "New professions (Monk, Ritualist, etc.)", but I'd also like the return of dungeons, the introduction of build templates, the reintroduction of Personality, new playable races (centaurs, tengu), mini games like Polymock.

Forum limitations, I'm sorry. Might remake the poll using an outside system in the future, if I see there's interest.

If they are going to do a new profession, they need to make a healer profession instead of locking it behind one class spec.

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a new rule set server or two. Make people role fresh accounts for these servers.

1. Role playing server

2. 3 faction open world pvp by race, WvW disabled.
      . A. Norn and Charr
      . B. Asura and Sylvari
      . C. Human

• Miss Lana.5276Miss Lana.5276 Member ✭✭✭

Personally a seller for me would be anything Cantha-based. My main character originated there, it was the first place I completely finished in terms of titles (vq/carto/guardian, etc), was the first story I finished and I love it. They might even be able to implement Luxon/Kurzick masteries (perhaps adding the ability to become a Juggernaut in certain Kurz areas, or having control over the siege turles in Lux areas maybe).

Elite specs could also be canthan-based, like Assassin (probably for Thief) and Ritualist (probably for Revenant).

I'm hoping that we get to Cantha in the next expac!

Disagreement =/= "negativity"
    Criticism =/= "hate"

• New terrestrial Weapon types (Greataxe, Scythe, Crossbow, Spear, etc)

Honestly, I want everything on the list, but the main seller for me would have to be a new weapon class.

Cantha.... plus something challenging designed around pve solo like the gauntlet or mushin's tower from bns

• Cynn.1659Cynn.1659 Member ✭✭✭

No expansion seller for me, will buy it anyway. Been here since prophecies, and not planning to go anywhere. No other game gave me this much playtime for so little money.

• New Playable Race (Tengu, Largos, Stone Dwarf, etc)

There are a few things on the poll that would definitely get me to buy the next expansion. However, either a new race or a new terrestrial weapon would be the key for me.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.