Season 9 Queue Changes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Season 9 Queue Changes

Hi folks!

Starting with Season 9, legendary players will no longer be able to duo queue. Because we have so few legendary players, it’s very difficult to get legendary players into an appropriate match. When legendary players duo queue, it greatly compounds this difficulty. Our goal with this is to improve matchmaking at higher skill levels.

Why didn’t we restrict duo queue all-together? We didn’t want to remove this option for everyone, when the problem we are trying to solve exists within a tiny fraction of the player base.

We’ll be keeping a sharp eye on how this affects Season 9. This will be a fairly easy thing for us to adjust if we feel it necessary in the future.

Ben Phongluangtham
Game Designer
Reddit: ANET_BenP
Twitch: AnetBenP

Tagged:
<13456

Comments

• Milan.9035Milan.9035 Member ✭✭✭

"Why didn’t we restrict duo queue all-together? We didn’t want to remove this option for everyone, when the problem we are trying to solve exists within a tiny fraction of the player base."

i dont understand this part. are you saying that people duo queuing is tiny fraction of the player base or is the solo players?

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks!
    Though i'd like to queue with someone else, that is definitely the right choice.

• If you deal with MM too, then it would be a perfect change.

• GREAT WORK GUYS THIS IS THE UPDATE WE WANTED KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AS ALWAYS

• ArthurDent.9538ArthurDent.9538 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good change, will be interesting to see it play out.

• Great change.

• Oh man this is the change i've been waiting for!

• ah, rewarding skilled players by not allowing them to queue with their friends

good move. can't see that driving anyone away lol

Mastered in Classics, don't think I can land this
    Think we're gonna crash blissfully out of the sky

• shippage.1983shippage.1983 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

This is a good start, although they still need to get rid of gaining points from 4v5 matches with dcs and just rematch instead.

shippage.1983
    I only PvP so almost all my comments are in a PvP context.

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is absolutely awesome.

• choovanski.5462choovanski.5462 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

@Kuya.6495 said:

@choovanski.5462 said:
    ah, rewarding skilled players by not allowing them to queue with their friends

good move. can't see that driving anyone away lol

Honestly? Most of the top NA players leaving would probably be an improvement. It would leave space for new top players to develop, hopefully players who will be good exemplars and actually seek to build a better and less toxic NA competitive community.

I'm EU so I don't have to deal w such a toxic scene, but regardless- changing your game to drive away the top of the playerbase is a pretty stupid idea. the next top players need to fight top players to reach their level. you don't get to be an Olympic swimmer by racing at the old peoples home.

as far as skill in NA goes, I've seen the UGOs and oh man the skill issue isn't going to be solved by removing Naru and co. y'all just need to learn to play as a team my goodness. honestly some of those games are embarrassing. I mean driving away the best players in NA will make the scene look competitive, but it will be like four year olds with foam bats. looks competitive until you realise the sport was supposed to be fencing.

as far as EU goes, man I bet all those legend players- especially those who do duo queue streams will be pleased lol. all this change does for them is ruin their fun as soon as they get past plat. 10/10 great move

Mastered in Classics, don't think I can land this
    Think we're gonna crash blissfully out of the sky

• zoomborg.9462zoomborg.9462 Member ✭✭✭

Well done on reaching legendary. Now go play by yourself because that's so much fun! Competitive games promote teaming up, not isolating the players. This might be good for mm but in the end it will be another blow to the already struggling PvP scene.

• Allarius.5670Allarius.5670 Member ✭✭✭

Expand to include platinum as well if not the entire queue to improve matchmaking and equal treatment among players.

• YO! YES LET'S GIVE THIS A GO! THANK YOU <3 :D

• mrauls.6519mrauls.6519 Member ✭✭✭

I like the initiative. I already know there are several people out there that will buy smurf accounts to circumvent this change. I think we should look at the stats after this season and decide if duo queue should be removed altogether.

Twitch | YouTube

Power Guardian enthusiast

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

@shadowpass.4236 said:
    How is there supposed to be a competitive scene when the only chance players have to practice as a group against competent players is every 6 hours while getting steamrolled in the ATs?

scrims on private hotjoin servers. That's how the "pro" teams have been doing it for years.

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

• Wow anet amazing change this will definitely help your matchmaking algorithms and help pvp grow.

• Lyger.5429Lyger.5429 Member ✭✭✭

This is awesome and totally how other competitive games handle it (Paladins for example) in fact this should be from plat on-wards.

• zoomborg.9462zoomborg.9462 Member ✭✭✭

@Abelisk.4527 said:

@zoomborg.9462 said:
    Well done on reaching legendary. Now go play by yourself because that's so much fun! Competitive games promote teaming up, not isolating the players. This might be good for mm but in the end it will be another blow to the already struggling PvP scene.

Well there's something called Automated Tournaments

Automated Tournaments havent really had much impact in PvP cause pretty much every problem comes from the very small PvP population. They also dont mean much since the gap between the good and bad players is stupidly big. The correct way to fix mm isnt to isolate a part of the playerbase as if they are a problem and no im not talking about the NA shenanigans here. At least on EU there is still some players that are legit legendary. The correct way to fix mm is to try by all means to increase overall population in PvP. Every single game with nice ranked matchmaking relies on big playerbase numbers to keep a balance between quality games and queue time. This is what anet PvP team (if such a thing exists) should strive for.

This is just a band-aid that will have bigger consequences in the future as the people who get isolated because of their rank completely drop the game. What anet is basically doing here is sacrificing the small legendary population in order to 'fix' things, which is completely wrong on principle.

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭

You're assuming legendary players will drop PvP from this change. And what if they don't?

I'd also like to add that many legendary players are decent players. When they duo together, they can land in a game far below their rating, and completely carry their teams. Now imagine only one legendary placed down there, the odds are more equal now. Let's go even further--let's see player A and B are legendary. Normally A and B would be on one team while the other team is all gold-plat. With this change the MMR may make it so player A is on one team and B is on the other team, forcing them against each other and making it equal.

How would this affect the majority negatively at all? This is completely the opposite in effect.

• We need more changes like this, great job Anet.

• Kuya.6495Kuya.6495 Member ✭✭✭

I also agree about extending this down to plat 2.

<13456
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.