[100% Unofficial] How to play GW2 on Mac OS after the Mac client is gone — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

[100% Unofficial] How to play GW2 on Mac OS after the Mac client is gone

ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2021 in Account & Technical Support

There's a lot of confusion about GW2 ending Mac client support, so let's make a thread of player resources about what to actually do about it.

Please chime in with your own experiences but focus on what you've actually tested to keep the volume of speculation low. I'll try to keep the top post updated as an ad-hoc community resource until we figure out something better.

IN GENERAL:

What we know:
1. Anet has announced: "Starting February 18, … the Mac client will no longer work after this date."
2. Apple is transitioning their hardware to a new CPU type. So Macs come in two varieties:
* older Intel chips — these run x86 code natively
* new ARM ("M1"/"Apple Silicon") chips — these have a different instruction set but they CAN run code compiled for x86 Macs using a special software translation layer called Rosetta, which likely has a performance cost but should be pretty seamless once you've set it up
4. The Guild Wars 2 Win64 client — that's the thing you're most likely going to be using once the Mac client disappears — can work on non-Windows OSes through a "compatibility layer" application like Wine (e.g. here is the Lutris wrapper for Linux).
5. Rosetta is, at least in theory, compatible with Wine.
6. If you have an Intel-based Mac, you could also choose to dual-boot Windows. One advantage of this approach is that you're just running GW2 on Windows natively, which is an officially supported platform. (In which case you don't need most of what I'm posting below.)

What we don't know:
2. Whether any solution outlined below will continue to work for any given GW2 release.
3. Whether any solution outlined below will work on your hardware/software.

SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS:

NOTE: This is all "void your warranty" type stuff, don't expect any tech support from Anet, don't run any software as administrator if you're not comfortable with what it's doing, &c.

1. Wine-based compatibility wrappers

1.a. Porting Kit

(last updated: Jan 10, 2021)
"Out-of-the-box" support: No/Not yet
"Do-it-yourself" support: YES :heart:

"Do-it-yourself" Instructions:
(Tested on Intel hardware / Mac OS 10.15.7 "Catalina" / Porting Kit 4.1.0)

1. See Porting Kit installation instructions and license info on on their website.
  2. Start Porting Kit. Go to Library. (Search for "Guild Wars 2" to see if there's an "out-of-the-box" installer you can use. If there is, you can probably skip this stuff.)
  3. Select "New Custom Port."
  4. Name your application "GW2", "Guild Wars 2," &c.
  5. In Advanced Settings: select Engine: "WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.2" or later.
  6. In Destination Select: rename the app (e.g. to "Guild Wars 2 Win64" so it doesn't conflict with your current Mac client).
  7. Download Anet's 64-bit Windows client (Gw2Setup-64.exe) from guildwars2.com.
  8. Wait for the installer to run. Allow GW2 to download all of its data, then close the application without logging in.
  9. "Guild Wars 2" will now appear on the left sidebar of your Porting Kit Library tab.
  10. Right-click on "Guild Wars 2" and select "Launch Wineskin App." Change the executable to "drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe" (by default it will be "nothing.exe"). Also, under "Advanced Tools">"Wine Configuration," make sure the Windows version is set to "Windows 7."
  11. Now launch GW2 using the little play button, check your graphics settings, rebind keys as needed (when playing through the compatibility layer, both Cmd and Ctrl will be read as "Ctrl" by the game you're playing).

TODO: Verify ARM/Rosetta support with latest Porting Kit.

1.b. PlayOnMac

(last updated: Jan 20, 2021)
"Do-it-yourself support: YES :heart:

(via Gumbolia.5381)

1. download PlayOnMac
  2. download the GW2 64 bit Windows installer
  3. run PlayOnMac and click Install a program on the left side of the window
  4. down at the bottom-left of the window that pops up, click Install a non-listed program
  5. read All The Stuff and keep clicking Next
  6. What would you like to do? select Install a new program in a new virtual drive
  7. name it something - "GuildWars2"
  8. What would you like to do before installation? - leave all unselected and click Next
  9. What kind of virtual drive do you want to create? - select 64 bit
  10. wait while it creates "stuff"...
  11. Please select file to run - click Browse and select the GW2 Windows installer from step 2 (Gw2Setup-64.exe)
  12. click Next
  13. GW2 installer will start - click Install
  14. wait a couple of hours for the download to complete and then play the game...
  15. when you quit GW2 the first time, PlayOnMac will ask Please choose a file for PlayOnMac to make a shortcut - choose Gw2.exe
  16. name it ("Guild Wars 2")
  17. it will ask again Please choose a file for PlayOnMac to make a shortcut - click Cancel
  18. now it shows up in the main PlayOnMac window - to run it just click it and select Run on the left side of the window

2. Dual-booting Windows (Intel Macs only)

2.a. BootCamp

(last updated: Jan 13, 2021)
"Out-of-the-box" support: YES :heart:

Instructions:
1. Verify that you have an Intel CPU (Apple Menu > About This Mac, check the Processor entry on the first tab).
2. Follow Apple's instructions for installing Windows 10 or the more detailed ones here.
3. You may be unable to connect to the Internet while Windows installs. Because Bootcamp can only install the Wi-Fi and internet-related drivers after Windows is done installing. If you get stuck, you can click “I don’t have internet now” during the Windows install.
4. Boot into Windows and download the Guild Wars 2 game client for Windows (most likely you will want 64-bit).
5. If you have other software you use during play (Discord, for example) you will want to install a copy of that on the Windows partition as well.

(See also: GW2 forum thread.)

TODO: Add information about disk space requirements.

3. Running Windows as a virtual machine

3.a. Parallels

TODO: Add section

4. Streaming

4.a. Nvidia GeForce Now (subscription required)

TODO: Add section

Comments

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ASP.8093 said:

suggest on [how to] more mention written about obsolete intel cpu's or new M1. It make some understanding for people who read that.

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

on "play on mac" this is basically a simplified fronted for creating a wine bottle to run a windows program in and is based on playonlinux and the install scripts are woefully out of date

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭✭

Been experimenting with Porting Kit (i.e. Wineskin) because that's the one I have working at a baseline level.

Stability is great so far. Only trouble I've had is the client sometimes gets stuck during its auto-update cycle, but that's solvable by just closing stuff manually. Once you're in game, it's about as stable as the native client.

Performance? :grimace: Feels like my laptop aged seven years when I run GW2 through the compatibility layer.

looks mac users can not panic absolutely
    Parallels Technical Preview + Windows 10 Arm Preview Virtualisation + 32bit Guild Wars 2 + 1440p UltraWide resolution + Max Settings Preset to Appearance.
    I have less fps on new geforce wiht that resolution's and settings ..looks great on m1 !

@lare.5129 said:
    Parallels Technical Preview + Windows 10 Arm Preview Virtualisation + 32bit Guild Wars 2 + 1440p UltraWide resolution + Max Settings Preset to Appearance.
    I have less fps on new geforce wiht that resolution's and settings ..looks great on m1 !

Any specific reason you picked the 32-bit client?

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

Aint the 32 bit client discontinued?

@ASP.8093 said:
    Any specific reason you picked the 32-bit client?

it is not me. I only research how it is gone, because have plans buy mac.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021

@lare.5129 said:

In this vid you keep constantly dropping below 15-20 fps (around 1:03 you dropped to 8 because you turned your camera around -stopped watching beyond this point) in an instance you're alone in. So no, you don't "have less fps on new geforce" LOL

I mean it's great you can play it on whatever you want to play it on. But if you're trying to make a competition out of it (again) for whatever reason, at least don't bend the facts.

edited January 12, 2021

@Sobx.1758 said:
    In this vid you keep constantly dropping below 15-20 fps

it is great result. Look at resolution: 34401440 ! it is not 19801024!
    Set same setting on 2060 with 4-x fattest notebook design and you will see same or less fps as me.

@Linken.6345 said:

no. It is able to download as always.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lare.5129 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:
    In this vid you keep constantly dropping below 15-20 fps

it is great result.

Yeah, totally, have fun playing with this fps and constant drops when you're alone in the instance.

@Linken.6345 said:

It's still on the download page, for whatever reason (so is the Mac client but we have a firm end-of-life date on that one). https://account.arena.net/welcome

• Chrysline.2317Chrysline.2317 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

@ASP.8093 said:
    There's a lot of confusion about GW2 ending Mac client support, so let's make a thread of player resources about what to actually do about it.

Please chime in with your own experiences but focus on what you've actually tested to keep the volume of speculation low. I'll try to keep the top post updated as an ad-hoc community resource until we figure out something better.

IN GENERAL:

What we know:
    1. Anet has announced: "Starting February 18, … the Mac client will no longer work after this date."
    2. Apple is transitioning their hardware to a new CPU type. So Macs come in two varieties:
    * older Intel chips — these run x86 code natively
    * new ARM ("M1"/"Apple Silicon") chips — these have a different instruction set but they CAN run code compiled for x86 Macs using a special software translation layer called Rosetta, which likely has a performance cost but should be pretty seamless once you've set it up
    4. The Guild Wars 2 Win64 client — that's the thing you're most likely going to be using once the Mac client disappears — can work on non-Windows OSes through a "compatibility layer" application like Wine (e.g. here is the Lutris wrapper for Linux).
    5. Rosetta is, at least in theory, compatible with Wine.
    6. If you have an Intel-based Mac, you could also choose to dual-boot Windows. One advantage of this approach is that you're just running GW2 on Windows natively, which is an officially supported platform. (In which case you don't need most of what I'm posting below.)

What we don't know:
    2. Whether any solution outlined below will continue to work for any given GW2 release.
    3. Whether any solution outlined below will work on your hardware/software.

SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS:

NOTE: This is all "void your warranty" type stuff, don't expect any tech support from Anet, don't run any software as administrator if you're not comfortable with what it's doing, &c.

1. Wine-based compatibility wrappers

1.a. Porting Kit

"Do-it-yourself" support: YES :heart:

1. See Porting Kit installation instructions and license info on on their website.
    2. Start Porting Kit. Go to Library. (Search for "Guild Wars 2" to see if there's an "out-of-the-box" installer you can use. If there is, you can probably skip this stuff.)
    3. Select "New Custom Port."
    4. Name your application "GW2", "Guild Wars 2," &c.
    5. In Advanced Settings: select Engine: "WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.2" or later.
    6. In Destination Select: rename the app (e.g. to "Guild Wars 2 Win64" so it doesn't conflict with your current Mac client).
    7. Download Anet's 64-bit Windows client (Gw2Setup-64.exe) from guildwars2.com.
    8. Wait for the installer to run. Allow GW2 to download all of its data, then close the application without logging in.
    9. "Guild Wars 2" will now appear on the left sidebar of your Porting Kit Library tab.
    10. Right-click on "Guild Wars 2" and select "Launch Wineskin App." Change the executable to "drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe" (by default it will be "nothing.exe"). Also, under "Advanced Tools">"Wine Configuration," make sure the Windows version is set to "Windows 7."
    11. Now launch GW2 using the little play button, check your graphics settings, rebind keys as needed (when playing through the compatibility layer, both Cmd and Ctrl will be read as "Ctrl" by the game you're playing).

TODO: Verify ARM/Rosetta support with latest Porting Kit.

1.b. PlayOnMac

"Do-it-yourself support: No(?) :skull:
    A Linux script exists at https://www.playonmac.com/en/app-1126-Guild_Wars_2.html but I haven't been able to get this working on Mac at the moment.

Just to add to the discussion, in case people skim to the headers (and skip ASP’s point #6), I’d just like to repeat that

If you have an Intel-based Mac and enough hard drive space, Bootcamp is a legit option.

(I just finished installing Windows and GW2 on my 5 year old Macbook. It works! Plus we can use addons like TacO now.)

Here is Apple’s article on the Windows on Bootcamp process: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

(In case others have trouble: when Windows installs, it can’t connect to the internet. Because Bootcamp can only install the Wi-Fi and internet-related drivers after Windows is done installing. If you get stuck, you can click “I don’t have internet now” during the Windows install.)

edited January 13, 2021

@Chrysline.2317 said:
    Here is Apple’s article on the Windows on Bootcamp process: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

(In case others have trouble: when Windows installs, it can’t connect to the internet. Because Bootcamp can only install the Wi-Fi and internet-related drivers after Windows is done installing. If you get stuck, you can click “I don’t have internet now” during the Windows install.)

Thanks! I adapted this to a small set of instructions in a new section.

One part I'm not sure about without testing it myself is how much disk space to allocate to the Windows partition (I know GW2 wants like 60 GB for its data).

edited January 13, 2021

@ASP.8093 said:

@Chrysline.2317 said:

Thanks! I adapted this to a small set of instructions in a new section.

One part I'm not sure about without testing it myself is how much disk space to allocate to the Windows partition (I know GW2 wants like 60 GB for its data).

You’re welcome and thank you too for compiling these!

I’m not sure of the disk space myself since my old early 2015 Macbook 12-inch (I got it as a gift) only has 256 GB. Apple’s support page on Bootcamp mentions a mininum of 64GB for the Windows 10 OS. Then it says to give it 128GB for future Windows updates. (With a caveat that the startup disk needs to have at least as much free storage space as the Mac’s memory.)

I’m only guessing here: if someone has a lot of space maybe 64GB for Windows + another 64GB for future Windows updates + 60GB for GW2 + __ GB free space to match your RAM + __ GB of anything else you plan to install?

For my laptop (a few hours before this post): I was able to allocate around 115 GB for my Bootcamp partition. It’s kinda patchwork for my laptop at this point (since I’m hoping to buy a new laptop in a few months) I pray the lack of free space and absence of Mac’s thermal throttling doesn’t hurt it too much.

Aside from vanilla Windows 10, my Windows only has GW2 and GW2 TacO installed. I set Windows updates to be delayed by 35 days :lol: so it doesn’t take up space for now. I uninstalled bloatware and didn’t sign-in to any of my OneDrive and Microsoft accounts on Windows to make sure data doesn’t sync/download. (I’m also not good with accidentally disconnecting wires that’s why I didn’t go for installing Bootcamp on an external drive.)

I imagine people with 512GB or more on their internal drive wouldn’t have to worry so much about space. :lol:

edited January 13, 2021

If installing Bootcamp on an external hard drive is something anyone here needs, in this other discussion,

nykur.2154 mentioned a thorough guide: https://transferx23.medium.com/install-windows-10-on-an-external-hdd-or-ssd-with-boot-camp-under-macos-catalina-10-15-e0e315f2d48d

• Leo.3428Leo.3428 Member ✭✭✭

A note about the iMacs from before 2012: Bootcamp will not let you install Windows 10 but I read that you can force it manually and run into multiple driver problems. One can try and replace with older drivers to alleviate some of the issues. Because of this and limited storage, I'm trying a Linux install first on my wife's 2010 iMac. But i'm running into driver issues as well.

• Qida.5648Qida.5648 Member ✭✭

Hi i am the person who made that youtube video.
    Maybe i can clear somethings up.

@lare.5129 said:
    looks mac users can not panic absolutely

What i shown is to stress test with max settings, thus the bad frame rate. In all time playing, i suggest switching to Performance settings. Performance mode is around 20 to 60 fps @ that resolution, but of course does not look as pretty.

In my limited time testing, i can say there is not much difference in terms of the MacOS version then the 32bit Windows version.
    The minor differences is as follows:
    1. Slight input lag on Windows version.
    2. Client loading to Char select screen takes a long time. (Can be minimised by allocating to Windows VM 8GB ram / 2GB video / 8 cores)
    3. Micro lag, some texture seems to cause split second lags.. I can't pinpoint.
    4. My MacBook Air does run cooler when running GW2 in windows.

A few things to clarify

@Linken.6345 said:

Emulation for my Windows 10 Arm version allows only 32bit. 64bit require you to pick the dev build.

For M1 Macs, i think parallels is the only and easiest way to continue playing the game.

I tried CrossOver. Does not work IMO. Maybe someone here have a suggestion on how to get it to work?
    1. I install CrossOver (20)
    2. Select Application (Guildwars2)
    3. They auto select Windows 7 64bit bottle.. install 64bit GW2 client.
    4. Then i hit the CoherentUI error issue.
    5. So i set command run -32 (32bit)
    6. The download for the client begins.. but keep crashing after a short download.. So i give up there.

• You could add that Nvidia GeForce Now is not available worldwide.

• GeForce now seems pretty reasonable at max settings, provided you are close to a datacenter. I need to play around with it a bit. My primary system is a iMac 5k (though I usually play on a 1440p secondary monitor), and other than the annoyance of having to play at 1080p (which don't get me wrong, is annoying as hell!), the service is otherwise entirely playable on max settings.

I can't dual-boot because this iMac is also my media server and work machine, but it looks like I can run GeForce now on my second (2k) monitor and have similar performance to what I was getting natively. Not bad for $5 a month I guess if I have to do something.

• Bellefon.1259Bellefon.1259 Member ✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021

@Qida.5648 said:
    I tried CrossOver. Does not work IMO. Maybe someone here have a suggestion on how to get it to work?
    1. I install CrossOver (20)
    2. Select Application (Guildwars2)
    3. They auto select Windows 7 64bit bottle.. install 64bit GW2 client.
    4. Then i hit the CoherentUI error issue.
    5. So i set command run -32 (32bit)
    6. The download for the client begins.. but keep crashing after a short download.. So i give up there.

I had the same CoherentUI error at step 4. What worked for me was to navigate to the C drive of the Guild Wars 2 bottle (which was created after steps 2 & 3) and manually open the Gw2Setup.exe instead of letting CrossOver attempt to automatically do it. Because I opened the Setup.exe from within the bottle, and not from some other location, it seemed to work. Two ways to get to the C drive within the bottle:
    1. Right-click the bottle in the CrossOver UI > select "Open C: Drive" > look in both Program Files folders for the Setup exe file
    2. Manually navigate to the folder: ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles//drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Gw2Setup.exe

I'll admit I'm a little unsure after-the-fact how I was able to install the 64-bit version by clicking what appears to be the 32-bit Setup exe, but I just used whatever the CrossOver app placed in the C drive folder after having confronted the CoherentUI error. The end result for me is that using the Gw2Setup.exe within Program Files (x86) installed the Gw2-64.exe, along with the 50gb Gw2.dat file, within Program Files in the drive_c folder.

One more thing: After I successfully installed the Guild Wars 2 bottle, launching the app from within CrossOver would give me the CoherentUI error again and fail to launch the game. CrossOver's launcher icons, whether created automatically or manually, aren't working for me. So the workaround is that I navigate to the C Drive folder by clicking the "Run Command…" icon > Browse button > navigate to and select Gw2-64.exe > Run button. Not convenient, but so far has successfully launched every time for me.

*note 1: I'm running Catalina on an Intel MacBookPro 16, 2019 -- hopefully M1 w/ Rosetta 2 would behave similarly

*note 2: I've only been testing CrossOver for a couple of days now. It's working ok. Biggest annoyance I've found is that the option key does not translate to the alt key, so any control keys I'd set to using opt/alt no longer work, and I had to remap them. However, using alt-drag to split stacks in inventory isn't working, and there's no way to remap it in the GW2 UI. This is not a problem using the native Mac client, and it wasn't a problem when I ran GW2 in Boot Camp three years ago, so I wonder if this is a coding issue in CrossOver's GW2 implementation. If anyone has experience with running CrossOver using other apps – any tips on getting the alt key recognized?

• Korovev.5280Korovev.5280 Member
    edited January 20, 2021

PlayOnMac seems to have issues downloading Wine packages, so scripts will fail unless you somehow have the correct Wine package already installed.

Porting Kit is based on Wineskin, so I perfer to use the latter, I find it easier to tinker with. The original version by doh123 is no longer available; Gcenx is continuing the project, and managed to make it work on Catalina, Big Sur and Silicon.

I built a wrapper with Wineskin-2.9.0.7-rc4 and WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.0, but I’m on Mojave so I have no way to test if it works on Silicon. Since I’m not a developer I can’t sign the app, so it may give you a “Guild Wars 2.app is damaged and can’t be opened” error. In that case the Terminal command “xattr -c /path/to/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app” should fix it.

To modify it, you can right-click on the wrapper, select “Show Package Content” and launch the Wineskin app inside it. There’s a setting to map Option to Alt, I’m not sure if it should be selected or not.

• I tried PlayOnMac. I installed GW2 manually without a script using the defaults for everything. It runs, doesn't look awesome by default, and the framerate is very "bursty". Drops when looking around. I would see this in the official client as well, but it seems to be worse.

I haven't started messing with any settings yet since it took so long to download the entire game again :-)

I looked at the Linux script posted above and don't see that it does much other than provide a nicer interface to select some options, check some minimums, and handle a cursor issue. Ultimately it would be great to produce a script, but it is runnable without one right now.

So if anyone else tries it and has some success - and can offer solutions for performance - please let us know...

I had the same CoherentUI error at step 4. What worked for me was to navigate to the C drive of the Guild Wars 2 bottle (which was created after steps 2 & 3) and manually open the Gw2Setup.exe instead of letting CrossOver attempt to automatically do it. Because I opened the Setup.exe from within the bottle, and not from some other location, it seemed to work. Two ways to get to the C drive within the bottle:
    1. Right-click the bottle in the CrossOver UI > select "Open C: Drive" > look in both Program Files folders for the Setup exe file
    2. Manually navigate to the folder: ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles//drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Gw2Setup.exe

I tried your suggestion and it works on the M1 Mac! Thank you.

Although I still ran into issue when downloading the GW2.dat file.. It still crashes after downloading 5% - 10%, then have to restart, but at least the progress is not loss.

So instead of downloading, I open my MacOS GW2 version (view package content, copy the GW2.dat into the bottle) And it works.

Ok, so I can confirm the follow 2 ways work for M1 Macs for now.

1. Parallels + Windows Arm + 32bit GW2 (Free for now) - (Future you may need Windows 10 license + Parallels software)
    2. Crossover 20 (Windows 10 bottle / GW2 client 64bit) (14 days free for Crossover, after which you need to buy Crossover)

In terms of performance. crossover seems to be bad. My mount would disappear and suddenly load in, (Something I always encounter when I used to play on a surface go tablet).

edited January 20, 2021

Really appreciate these posts!

I can't try every variation myself, so if anyone wants to make a step-by-step set of instructions for PlayOnMac, Crossover, Parallels, &c., I'll gladly copy it into the first post.

(I have a recent-model Intel laptop so I'm probably going to try dual-booting this weekend. The PortingKit/Wineskins performance isn't very great right now.)

• Here are instructions for PlayOnMac:

1. download PlayOnMac
    2. download the GW2 64 bit Windows installer
    3. run PlayOnMac and click Install a program on the left side of the window
    4. down at the bottom-left of the window that pops up, click Install a non-listed program
    5. read All The Stuff and keep clicking Next
    6. What would you like to do? select Install a new program in a new virtual drive
    7. name it something - "GuildWars2"
    8. What would you like to do before installation? - leave all unselected and click Next
    9. What kind of virtual drive do you want to create? - select 64 bit
    10. wait while it creates "stuff"...
    11. Please select file to run - click Browse and select the GW2 Windows installer from step 2 (Gw2Setup-64.exe)
    12. click Next
    13. GW2 installer will start - click Install
    14. wait a couple of hours for the download to complete and then play the game...
    15. when you quit GW2 the first time, PlayOnMac will ask Please choose a file for PlayOnMac to make a shortcut - choose Gw2.exe
    16. name it ("Guild Wars 2")
    17. it will ask again Please choose a file for PlayOnMac to make a shortcut - click Cancel
    18. now it shows up in the main PlayOnMac window - to run it just click it and select Run on the left side of the window

@Gumbolia.5381 said:
    Here are instructions for PlayOnMac:

Thank you!

• I've tried everything except the bootcamp during the last week, i mostly play pvp and www:

• Crossover, PlayOnMac, Porting Kit - impossible to play even on the lowest settings at any level; fps drops to 1-2 every time you look around
    • GFN - i have a good and stable 300mbps connection at home, however i got some issues with the game during ranked matches. I got reconnected couple of times. Yes, the framerate is good, but stability of connection and input lag make impossible to play the game at any competitive mode. (yes i tried to set up a competitive connection type and minimise input lag in GNF settings. It was even worse before, but the difference doesn't not allow you to play anyway)

Anet should really have their own experience playing on GFN before they suggest anything like that to us.

I am very sad. What do we need to do to have the native mac client support continue? Do we need to hire someone to cooperate with Anet on that topic? Where could we send the money?

• Bellefon.1259Bellefon.1259 Member ✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021

@Qida.5648 said:
    I tried your suggestion and it works on the M1 Mac! Thank you.

Excellent. Thanks for confirming that it worked for more than just me. Maybe it will help others who try CrossOver.

Although I still ran into issue when downloading the GW2.dat file.. It still crashes after downloading 5% - 10%, then have to restart, but at least the progress is not loss.
    So instead of downloading, I open my MacOS GW2 version (view package content, copy the GW2.dat into the bottle) And it works.

I was wondering if Gw2.dat was platform agnostic. I was afraid to copy it in case Windows created a different .dat file than the one Mac created. This will save those with lower bandwidth some time if they can re-use a 50gb file. Hopefully someone with more tech knowledge than me can confirm.

In terms of performance. crossover seems to be bad. My mount would disappear and suddenly load in, (Something I always encounter when I used to play on a surface go tablet).

My performance with CrossOver is definitely worse than the native Mac client. But it was at least playable in PvE and PvP. I haven't tried in WvW yet, but I'm a little worried by the way my fps can drop to 8 just by turning. My mounts load in, but the movement animations can take 10-30 seconds to load in however. Could this be a difference between Intel vs. M1 given that GW2 was coded using early 2010s technology?

Here are the steps for Crossover
    1. Click the Install a Window's application button
    2. Select GuildWars 2 Application
    3. On the top click Select Installer (Select the GW2Setup-64.exe)
    4. On the top click Select bottle (I tried Win7 64bit / Win10 64bit both works)
    5. Then click install.
    6. Run thru the installation.
    7. Do not double click the application, but do 8)
    8. Click on the bottle, open C drive. go Program Files (x86) select the Gw2Setup.exe Open with crossover
    9. Let the client download, or you can copy and replace the GW2.dat over from your existing client.
    10. Click on the bottle, open C drive. go Program Files, select the Gw2-64.exe open with crossover
    11. repeat step 10) every time you want to play.

I believe above works for intel Macs also.

As for Parallels and Windows arm. It's straight forward. Just install the client by double clicking the exe installer. But you need to sign up on the technical preview for parallels and Microsoft Insider account. (Apple Silicon only)

Maybe someone who have existing parallels + Windows on intel Mac and feedback the performance?

• What confuses me about all of this is... why are Anet actively killing the Mac client (i.e. "it will not run after x date") rather than simply dropping support? By contrast, you can still play the game with the 32-bit Mac client (long since unsupported) - it works, it just has problems (e.g. random coherent host crashes on launch, takes forever to load Lion's Arch)... but gameplay is acceptable and even a slightly better frame-rate on my super old hardware (~10 years old) compared to the 64-bit version. I'd be absolutely fine if they just said "we're not going to support it, any bugs you encounter from here on out will be your own problem" - I'd live with that, and see how the only game I play might affect future computer purchase decisions. For now, my computer is old enough that reverting to the 32-bit Mac client is probably my only option if they force the 64-bit client not to run at all.

They didn't actively kill the 32-bit Mac client - you just can't download it any more and it is 100% unsupported - so why nuke the ability of the 64-bit client to even log on, instead just have it say "this is no longer supported, and may stop working at any time"?

• @Gumbolia.5381 said:
    Here are instructions for PlayOnMac:

Thanks for that, I will have look at it.
    And thanks everyone for trying solutions and reporting it:-)
    Hopefully we will find a work around to continue playing.

It would be interesting I guess to gather more info on the performance of the different solutions (crossover, playonmac, parallel) depending on the hardware. I would expect bootcamp to have the best perf overall but for the others I don't know. From reading the last posts none seems perfect but hardware is not always mention and as someone mention Intel vs. M1 as well as the rest of the mac perf will have an impact.

As someone playing on a mid 2014 macbook pro with just intel graphic I don't expect any of these solutions to work smoothly but who knows :-) the mac client (64) was running relatively ok for me at least I was able to play PVE with no issue.

I just purchased GFN for 6 months to try it out (I have VDSL2 connection) it works most of the time, very smoothly and with no lag - very impressed tbh and far better than mac client in terms of fps. My only concernes as for the service is a lack of sharpness (especially for text) and contrast.
    The biggest issue is the internet connection: if someone else in the house uses internet the alert icon saying the connexion is unstable is alway on (and Red lol) and the game is unplayable. Hopefully optic fibre is on the way in a couple of months so it could be better...

• Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

@raaahbin.7405 said:
    They didn't actively kill the 32-bit Mac client - you just can't download it any more and it is 100% unsupported - so why nuke the ability of the 64-bit client to even log on, instead just have it say "this is no longer supported, and may stop working at any time"?

The 32-bit client is the Windows client running in an emulator whereas the 64-bit client is native and something they have to maintain.

• @Healix.5819 said:
    The 32-bit client is the Windows client running in an emulator whereas the 64-bit client is native and something they have to maintain.

That makes sense - thank you! Hopefully that means I can just return to playing the 32-bit Mac client when they kill the 64-bit client, since that at least still runs and appears to outperform the DIY emulation solutions in this thread (at least on 10 year old hardware).

That makes sense - thank you! Hopefully that means I can just return to playing the 32-bit Mac client when they kill the 64-bit client, since that at least still runs and appears to outperform the DIY emulation solutions in this thread (at least on 10 year old hardware).

Just curious, this 32-bit Mac Client you are using, did they prompt you on Feb 18, they will discontinuing support?

• @Qida.5648 said:
    Just curious, this 32-bit Mac Client you are using, did they prompt you on Feb 18, they will discontinuing support?

The 32-bit Mac Client hasn't even been available for download for years. I'm sure it has been completely unsupported ever since. But yesterday evening I tried launching it, and it worked just like it always has. Hopefully - if it's just the Windows 32-bit client in an emulation wrapper as @Healix.5819 said - it will keep running like it does now. It's a bit buggy, and I can both make and drink a cup of coffee in the time it takes to load Lions Arch... but on really old Mac hardware such as mine, it will be the only viable option if the 64-bit native client is actively killed rather than merely left to degrade over time.

• So I installed the game (64 windows version) using PlayOnMac yesterday, Thanks @Gumbolia.5381 for the detailed instructions (see earlier in this thread).

On my mid 2014 MBpro (Mojave) with intel graphic it seems to work about the same as with the dedicated mac client so far(maybe a little less good in terms of fluidity/fps) with some minor issues like boss (bounties) taking time to load but I think it could be resolved by better setting the performances (erased the mac client settings too fast so I have to fine tune again:-)). At least I did the dailies this morning and it was playable, not perfect but I can imagine continue playing the game with that (to be confirmed with a longer experience).

Comparing to GFN I realise how even with my poor connexion having 30fps (with GFN) is smoother that the 10/15fps I usually have on the mac :-) It really is a game changing experience.
    I will continue evaluating GFN and PlayOnMac the next couple of weeks to see how it compares for me.

Oh also after playing the game this morning (first time), I tried to relaunch it from PlayOnMac but the GW2 loader act like the game is not installed and starts to DL everything again!! The game is still on the SSD so it is surely just a pointing issue somewhere in PlayOnMac but I did not figure it out yet. If anyone had that issue and found the solution I'll be thankful to know:-)
    download 50Go each time i want to play is going to be quite cumbersome!!:-)

• @Aragorn.8157:

[PlayOnMac ] starts to DL everything again

Oh no! I have not experienced that and I have run it several times.

Let me look at my setup to see if there's anything else I changed that I missed in the instructions. I did it once to get everything working, then a second time to write up the details, so it's possible I missed something.

edited January 22, 2021

PlayOnMac:

I think the redownloading thing sounds like a symptom of setting your fake drives up funny. Try searching your system for "Gw2.dat" and see if any of them appear in some funny location (e.g. in a folder next to PlayOnMac instead of inside the GW2 application folder).

Also make sure you're running Gw2.exe and not Gw2Setup.exe, in the wrapper settings.

• Leila.7269Leila.7269 Member
    edited January 22, 2021

I'm working with the Portingkit / Wineskin at the moment. FPS is significantly worse using the same settings for me. The weird mouse bug we used to have in the mac client seems to be a thing ever so often. Sometimes trying to mountup I end up in the ground and stuck, but can unmount and jump out of the ground and be ok... It does it pretty reliably in Lions Arch for whatever reason. Oddly no apparent issues with other people mounting / unmounting that I can tell. I didn't have a script or anything so it's just the basic install. I tried tweaking csmt registry setting, but to no effect.

I was doing the Temple of Kormir event across the bridge at about 9fps on a 2013 iMac with GTX 780M 4096 and 32gigs of ram for some numbers. Their might have ben another 4-5 players their with me.

I haven't messed with Wine stuff in so long I'm not really sure to even try messing with. I did try setting the vram amount instead of auto detect but didn't make any difference.

edit:
    Did some WvW and fps drop to 4 :(

• raaahbin.7405raaahbin.7405 Member ✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021

Note for anyone trying the PlayOnMac route: it appears the current version of PlayOnMac requires MacOS 10.15.x or greater. If you have an older operating system, you will need to download a previous version - I understand POM 4.3.4 supports earlier MacOS versions: https://repository.playonlinux.com/PlayOnMac/PlayOnMac_4.3.4.dmg

Also, if you're on a really old system like me, you might need to opt for 32bit (be sure to match 32bit virtual drive in PlayOnMac instructions step 9, and the 32bit installer for GW2) - PlayOnMac failed on my system when it tried to create a 64bit virtual drive.

• Gumbolia.5381Gumbolia.5381 Member ✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021

@raaahbin.7405 :

the current version of PlayOnMac requires MacOS 10.15.x or greater

I don't believe this is the case. I am running PlayOnMac 4.4.1 on macOS 10.14.6.

FWIW - I just ran AB meta and it was... playable-ish at lowest settings (set with the auto-detect thing).

PlayOnMac v4.4.1
    macOS 10.14.6
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
    3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
    32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

• Ran with 2560x1440 resolution. Tried lower, but no real difference in FPS. Higher than that looks better but then the UI gets too small (even when adjusted with the setting).
    • Mount kept getting stuck in the ground when mounting up (mentioned above). This used to be a bug in the official client which they sorted out at some point. It would queue up events and then zap me halfway across the map. This is super-annoying since I mount every 5 seconds. Then it takes 5-10 seconds to pop me out of the ground...
    • The standard problem - "30-40 FPS until I look around, then it drops to 2"
    • Opening bags was kind of slow - as if input was dropped and not being queued properly.

All-in-all it's borderline whether I will continue with GW2 if this is the best I can get out of it. I will continue to explore.

• @Gumbolia.5381 said:
    @Aragorn.8157:

[PlayOnMac ] starts to DL everything again

Oh no! I have not experienced that and I have run it several times.

Let me look at my setup to see if there's anything else I changed that I missed in the instructions. I did it once to get everything working, then a second time to write up the details, so it's possible I missed something.

I found the issue:-) your instructions were good, in fact I had an extra folder in Documents named Guildwars 2 where PlayOnMac installed the game, I remember it asked me where I wanted to install the game and I put it there. but indeed in the PlayOnMac folder there was a Gw.2.exe and gw2.dat but this one was empty so I just moved the first in place of the empty one and everything works like a charm now:-)

Thanks again for the instruction guide!!

I will now fine tune the settings in the game to get the best between fps/pretty/playable:-)
    I will post some feedback in a couple of days between GFN and PlayOnMac if it is helpful.

Cheers

• Playing on GeForce Now has got both me and my gf banned from GW2, similar case to this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/hyttw6/banned_after_using_geforce_now_support_claims/

Seeing that the case here is 5-6 months old, the same random security sweep apparently is still active. The only way to reverse the ban is to contact the support via an anynomous ticket (cause it's not possible to log in with the account)... and this was fixed the day after. The email they sent to me reads:

It appears this account was caught in our regular account security review. After thoroughly reviewing this account I have decided to remove the block that was placed on it. You may now access our services again.

If you are accessing our services using a VPN/proxy, please understand that we do not condone, nor do we support their usage. While we do not prohibit the use of these services we have found them to be directly associated to malicious and fraudulent activity. As such, continued use may result in additional blocks placed on the account.

As a service that they provide on their official recommendations for mac users after discontinuing the mac client, this is such a horrible experience. If they do not clarify a guideline for what may or may not get you banned and lock you out of the game until a support ticket is resolved, then they shouldn't advice people to use it. Also the support response has no mention of GeForce now but instead warns me of not using VPN, that seems quite unsatisfying too. Especially when this is identical to someone who had the same experience almost half a year ago.

-- Just a heads-up for whoever looking into using geforce now for the future

@Kineseren.7215 said:
    Playing on GeForce Now has got both me and my gf banned from GW2, similar case to this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/hyttw6/banned_after_using_geforce_now_support_claims/

This happened to me when I used it last summer while my laptop was in the shop. Turnaround is quick but it is, indeed, a frustrating experience.

• Sorry, but playing a game like GW2 with 15 FPS with reduced graphic effects is just.. not fun. So PlayOnMac and other emulators are not a thing one should even consider. Either Windows 8/10 or, if possible, Linux Mint with Lutris. GW2 on M1 - forget it, not even for the dailies, not mentioning an evening on EBG in WvW...

@Bao Lin Nda.1042 said:
    or, if possible, Linux Mint with Lutris

Isn't that just another compatibility layer similar to PlayOnMac/Wineskins/&c.

• Lutris is IMHO so far the best Wine-Wrapper, with games often run at 90-95% of the speed compared to running natively under Windows. And it has many games preconfigured, a nice GUI and all the hacks and drivers you will need on Linux. Second best is Proton by Valve, trying both is also a god idea if a games doesn't really run well. Proton will also give you the newest D3D12-drivers aka VKD3D. Proton is made more or less by Valve, VKD3D by codeweavers.

• raaahbin.7405raaahbin.7405 Member ✭✭

@Bao Lin Nda.1042 said:
    Sorry, but playing a game like GW2 with 15 FPS with reduced graphic effects is just.. not fun.

Everyone has different tastes/preferences/considerations. I’ve only ever played the game on really old Mac hardware (because that’s what I’ve got), but I still enjoy the game very much, and am worried that ANet’s move to actively kill the Mac client might bring that enjoyment to an end. What others have the luxury of calling “unplayable” is certainly playable... I just have to accept there are things I can’t do (things that require a rapid response loop between the interface and player input). I can still join in big metas and world bosses, explore the world, do story content, play some WvW, fractals. There’s plenty to enjoy. Would I like it to be faster, smoother and prettier? Of course! But playing can still be fun even with bad performance on low graphics. For me, it only becomes unplayable below about 3 FPS... which, unfortunately, is what I get out of the wine wrappers on the 64-bit client.

Of the available options:

• GFN - not available in Australia, and requires higher spec hardware than I have
    • Boot Camp to win8/10 - not supported (hardware too old)
    • Wine wrappers - 32-bit Windows client barely playable, but noticeably worse than either native client
    • Virtualisation - overhead too much for hardware
    • 64-bit Mac client - ANet about to go all “hasta la vista” on it
    • 32-bit Mac client - best remaining playable after ANet kill the 64-bit

I’ll be upgrading my computer this year. It will be an M1 Mac because GW2 is the only game I play, and most of what I use my computer for is not GW2 - ANet’s move doesn’t change that. That should let me play well through GFN (if and when Nvidia make it available in Aus), and in the meantime it looks like Parallels+Windows ARM is the best solution. It looks like that yields about 40fps on best performance settings, and that will feel like luxury indeed by comparison to what I’ve always had.