Which is best target to focus — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Which is best target to focus

whoknocks.4935whoknocks.4935 Member ✭✭✭✭

In a teamfight?
Let's say the enemy team is composed by:
Support (Core guardian, healbreaker or tempest).
Necro
Burn Dragonhunter
Ranger
Thief

Ranger at first of the match goes home(close) node.

Rest is mid.

I always find confusing on who to focus first.
If you focus the support, he usually start kite around and defend tank himself not to die while the others just freecast and focus back on you.
If you focus the necro, he gets supported and become usually too tanky to get down.

Of course I am not talking of a team with microphone communication and top pvp players, but general target focus on tournament pugs, soloQ ranked matches where most of the times target focus is pretty meh.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ragnar.4257Ragnar.4257 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021

@whoknocks.4935 said:
    In a teamfight?
    Let's say the enemy team is composed by:
    Support (Core guardian, healbreaker or tempest).
    Necro
    Burn Dragonhunter
    Ranger
    Thief

Ranger at first of the match goes home(close) node.

Rest is mid.

I always find confusing on who to focus first.
    If you focus the support, he usually start kite around and defend tank himself not to die while the others just freecast and focus back on you.
    If you focus the necro, he gets supported and become usually too tanky to get down.

Of course I am not talking of a team with microphone communication and top pvp players, but general target focus on tournament pugs, soloQ ranked matches where most of the times target focus is pretty meh.

Thanks.

In this specific scenario, first of all, it depends on which support. Tempest is alot harder to focus than a core-guard or healbreaker, and also provides less healing, so its a much lower priority, whereas a core-guard can do bigger healing but is also easier to focus down, so would be higher priority.
    Second, is the necro a core-necro, scourge, or reaper? Reaper would always be at the top, or very near the top, of my target priority, but core necro would be much lower.

But above both, top priority would be the Burn DH. Now, because it will keep popping in and out of stealth, you can't focus it 100% of the time, but whenever it does appear you need to retarget on to it and force it to keep disengaging. A free-casting Burn DH is an instant-loss, but with even minimal pressure the DH will be forced to run away and contribute nothing, so just pay attention to it for 2s whenever it appears, then you can happily ignore it for the next 20s while it runs away to reset.

• McPero.3287McPero.3287 Member ✭✭✭

In situation you gave with support, necro, dh, thief:

1. Whoever overextends and is an easy kill.
    2. DH since it deals most damage and doesn't have insane defenses.
    3. Thief if you can hit him.
    4. Necro (depends on spec).
    5. Support (depends on spec).

Generally you focus whoever overextends, is low hp, is easy to kill fast. Healbreaker can actually frontline because its very unkillable while core guard and tempest are easier to kill but they will usually stand where you can't hit them a lot. DH will probably be in the frontline so you normally try to poke him down with ranged abilities. Going into DH melee when he is not pressured at all is suicide. DH can also try to port engage on your team in that case you wanna focus him and avoid trap damage. Necro depends if he is core condi or reaper. Reaper will want to go melee into your comp to deal massive damage you focus him if he does that. Core necro will probably just poke with low damage from range so he isn't high priority target and DH will probably control terrain in a way where you can't get into melee range with core necro. Thief is an easy kill if you can catch him since it doesn't have high armor or hp.

• First target area dps class - dh/reaper and then retarget to guy thats getting low cuz aoes

• Avatar.3568Avatar.3568 Member ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the guys above me, dh should be in that case the first target.

In General focus that guy that takes most dmg and can't kite at worse.
    Easy kills is on general better because you outnumber enemy's and they can start snowballing